A New Broom Sweeps Clean

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"You certainly have come up trumps, Mr. Gresham. Now, can you make me two samples of your handiwork by this time next week?"

"I'll try my best, sir. Just leave it to me."

Dr. Waterlow sat back in his chair and felt utterly contented. All he needed now was good news from Jeremy and with that he could feel very satisfied with the results of his efforts since his arrival a few brief weeks earlier.

A week later, Jeremy was in contact with Andrew to tell him that there were at least six teachers potentially available for him including two chemists, two mathematicians and two historians.

"What I suggest, if you are agreeable, is that we get these fellows over to the club and you can interview them and see what you think. They are all London based at the moment and they are all either Eton or Winchester and Oxford or Cambridge, so you are looking at applicants who are all out of the top drawer. And, Andrew my friend, I hope you will set me on as your French teacher, as I am rather keen on the idea."

All went according to plan and Andrew was able to select three suitable candidates, one of whom was single, the other two of whom were married; and he did take on Jeremy as the French teacher and housemaster of the fourth house. It must be said that the housemasters' quarters at Rigby were almost as generous as those of the Headmaster, so there was no problem in accommodating married teachers and their families. Each candidate came and spent a day at Rigby and met the Board of Governors, as Andrew needed their approval for any engagements; in the event, there were no problems and offers were made and accepted and letters of engagement were signed, sealed and delivered by all four candidates.

As Jeremy had said, the great advantage of engaging supply teachers was their more or less immediate availability. Andrew Waterlow met with the Colonel and the Board of Governors to decide how to tell the four present housemasters that their services were no longer required. As ever, the Colonel did not beat about the bush.

"Gentlemen, as our four new staff members are available immediately I think that best approach is to get rid of these four hangovers from the Baldwin era immediately and get the new men installed forthwith, so that Dr, Waterlow can get on unimpeded with his resuscitation - I think that is perhaps a good word for what he is attempting to do - programme."

One of the Board asked, "Are the four existing housemasters aware that we are proposing to replace them or not?"

"I neither know no care whether they know or not," replied the Colonel. "I have checked the terms of their contracts and we are obliged to give them three months' notice of our intention to terminate their engagement. Moreover, gentlemen, there is no obligation whatsoever, to terminate at the end of a term nor even to start the three month period at the beginning of a calendar month. So, gentlemen, we are free to tell them to go whenever we wish!"

Dr. Waterlow now intervened. "Gentlemen, I think it is in the best interests of the school if we terminate the contracts of these four teachers as soon as possible and that we allow them to leave...; no, that we insist that they leave, immediately, to avoid having them around, dragging their feet for another three months. So, as they are all resident in the school, I suggest that we give them one month from date of notice in order to allow them to find alternative accommodation: only one of the masters is married, so I see no great problems."

"Well, then," said the Colonel, "If we are all agreed, then I suggest that we get on with it. I will take it upon myself to announce the glad tidings to the four men in question; I leave it to you, Waterlow, to liaise with our four new staff members about the exact dates of their arrivals."

And so it was that the whole question of the purging of the last remnants of the Baldwin era was accomplished. Dr. Andrew Waterlow sat back in his chair and felt very satisfied with what he had achieved in the two months since his arrival.

CHAPTER 9

With the new staff and the vigilance of the Court of Prefects and the exhortations of the new Headmaster, things began rapidly to improve at Rigby. The setting up of competitive sports team from the four houses coupled with the introductions of close monitoring of the boys' performances across all classes on a monthly basis had a rapid effect on the general standards and morals of the school; a little rivalry on the sports field works wonders with the boys. Boys became proud of their appearances and most of them started to take to heart the Headmaster's comments about their self-respect.

The use of the cane, especially by the Court of Prefects had been accepted as part and parcel of a public schoolboy's life by most of the boys and those who were summoned for punishment accepted it with good grace. It has to be said the application of the cane to a boy's naked buttocks for even the most minor of offences had had an enormous effect on the behaviour of most boys. But, as ever, there remained a small hard core of lads who regularly flouted the regulations and went out of their way to be disruptive. Dr. Waterlow considered what he should do to break the persistent recalcitrance of certain boys, who seemed to accumulate beatings on a monotonously regular basis.

The gardener, Mr. Gresham had, true to his word, reinstalled the two birching stools, one to the side room off the Headmaster's study and the other to the Punishment Room. He had also made several birches, which to date had never been used. So, the Headmaster decided that he would add another string to the bow of punishment options which could be visited upon the boys.

It was the Monday morning assembly and after the usual formalities, Dr. Waterlow addressed the boys: "As you all know, and as many of you have actually experienced, the cane, since its introduction by me at the beginning of term has proved invaluable in maintaining order and dignity in this school. What you may not know is that the school secretary, makes a detailed record of the name and date a boy is beaten and by whom and for what offence. This is a somewhat onerous exercise as many different members of staff, including myself, your housemasters, the head boy and the prefects, all have regular recourse to the cane. And so, I have an exact record each week of the names of the boys who have been thrashed, a record which I have been studying intently and which has thrown up some interesting facts."

"Certain boys seem to have an uncanny ability of of attracting the attention of the cane to their buttocks: the cane is akin to a bee being attracted to a flower: such boys are what we might classify as "serial offenders". It is evident that the boys in this category are intent on disrupting the smooth running of the school and that the odd taste of the cane does not deter them from their chosen path of petty anarchy. Therefore, as of now, any boy who is caned more than twice in any one week- and several boys are - will automatically qualify for a birching, a punishment which I shall administer personally. But let me go further; in case this threat of an additional beating is not enough to set the errant offenders on the right path, any boy who receives two birchings in a month, will automatically qualify for a birching in front of the entire school, which I will personally administered at the assembly on the first Monday of the following month. And, one final thing; any boy caught breaking any school rule whilst he is in the town and seen by the general public, down town, will automatically be referred to me for an immediate birching. I will not allow the good name of the school to be ruined by the actions of a few errant boys."

"Now, most you will never have experienced the birch, but let me tell you now, that it is easily the most painful of all forms of corporal punishment used in public schools: I speak from personal experience of my own school days at Eton, where the birch was, and I believe, still is, the ultimate instrument of correction. Believe me boys you do not want to know! So, all of you, you have been warned; if you wish to avoid having a very sore backside, watch your step; toe the line and hold fast to the rule!"

Dr. Waterlow then added sardonically: "I notice, Butterworth that you have on this occasion refrained from asking me "if I am serious"; a very wise decision young man: very wise indeed!"

So, there it was; the boys had been warned officially; the only question to be answered was who would be the first to expose his naked arse to the ministrations of the dreaded implement. As it happens, the answer was soon forthcoming.

Dr. Waterlow was sitting alone in his study one Saturday afternoon when he received and irate telephone call from one of the shopkeepers in the town centre. Mr Robertson kept an open fronted green grocery store and as such displayed a selection of his produce directly on the pavement. It transpired that four boys from the school had pilfered a few apples and run off laughing when chased by the shopkeeper, who had not managed to catch them.

"Really, Headmaster, I do think that as a public school you should keep your boys in order. This type of behaviour is not what one expects from upper class boys at a public school, where I thought they were being taught to behave as young gentlemen. In my opinion, what they need is a really good thrashing." concluded Mr Robertson.

"And a really good thrashing is what they will get; you can be assured of that, once we determine who the miscreants are. Did you by any chance recognise any of them or did you notice what colour of school caps they were wearing?"

"Well, sir, to be honest, I only caught a view of the back of them as they were running off and as I do not recollect that they were wearing any caps. I know they were from Rigby, though, as I recognised the school blazer; but no, they were all bare headed: no caps at all. The one thing I did notice was that one of them had flaming red hair: a real carrot colour it was: very distinctive as one seldom sees such a head of hair."

"Thank you, Mr Robertson; you have told me all I need to know. Rest assured that I shall identify all four boys and that they will all be severely punished; not only did they steal from your shop but they also, from what you tell me, broke a cardinal school rule, that all boys must wear a cap when down town, with the prefects wearing a mortar board in lieu of the normal cap. I can tell you now, that the boy with the red hair is a young tearaway by the name of Fergus Campbell. He has the distinction of being the only red headed boy in the school at present. Leave the matter with me and I will come back to you once I have identified the other three lads."

"Well, sir, I'm real glad that you are taking the matter so seriously. I wondered about pressing charges against them with the police, but that's a bit difficult when I don't actually know their names. Anyway, sir, I'll leave the matter in your capable hands and look forward to your call."

"Thank you very much again, Mr. Robertson; we certainly don't want the police involved. As I said, leave the matter with me and I'll be back to you shortly; don't worry; the boys will not escape punishment and I can tell you that they will all rue the day they ever even saw your shop. Goodbye, Mr Robertson!"

It was now late Saturday afternoon and the boys would all be assembled again for supper around seven o'clock that evening. Dr. Waterlow and the housemasters normally ate with the boys on Saturday evenings: it was a more formal occasion than during the week and the masters all sat at high table on a slightly raised platform. As the meal ended, Dr. Waterlow rose from his seat and said: "Fergus Campbell, please step to the front and stand before me at high table."

Campbell, with his mop of flaming red hair, stepped forward and did as he had been bidden. He was already looking very nervous.

"Campbell, I have it from a reliable source, that you and three other boys from this school were down town this afternoon and that you were seen not to be wearing your caps. Moreover, I understand that the four of you stole some apples from a green grocers shop owned by a Mr.Robertson and that when called out to you you all ran away laughing. Tell me boy and I shall know if you are lying, is what I have heard correct or not?"

By this time Campbell was looking very sheepish and could hardly face the Headmaster who fixed him with an unblinking stare. There was a long silence.

"Speak up boy: yes or no; is what I have heard correct or not? I am asking you a very simple question to which there is a very simple answer. So which is it, boy? Yes or no? Come on, boy, speak up."

Campbell was now trembling like a leaf as he answered: "Yes, sir, it is true, but..."

"Campbell, I did not ask you for an explanation of your behaviour and I wish to hear no buts. Now, answer me the following; are the other three boys who took part in this disgraceful incident here in this hall?"

"Yes, sir."

"Then Campbell, I will not ask you to name your errant friends, but I want the three boys in question to step up here and stand beside Campbell in front of me. Come on boys, look snappy; you are all in deep trouble and it will get even worse if any of you do not come forward right now."

There was a moment's silence and then slowly and with considerable reluctance three other boys joined Campbell in front of the Headmaster.

"So, I see we have here, Wilkinson, Paul and Gregson-Lewis." Andrew Waterlow had a remarkable memory and prided himself that he could name every single boy in the school on sight.

"So boys, do you all agree that what I heard about your behaviour in town earlier today is correct? Speak up now. Yes or no?"

There was a faint reply of "Yes, sir"

"You four boys have broken two cardinal rules of the school: you went without caps into town and then you stole from a shopkeeper."

"But it was only a few apples, sir. It was nothing very important." said Gregson-Lewis.

"Gregson-Lewis, it matter not what you stole; the fact is that you did steal from Mr.Robertson's shop and by that act you all became thieves. Now to the rest of you boys assembled here this evening, let me inform you all, that I view this misdemeanour very gravely and these four boys in front of are going to be severely punished for their actions, which can and will in no way be tolerated . Their actions are not those befitting boys from this school. Do I make myself clear? So any of you who have similar idea in your heads, I suggest you clear them out right now."

"As for you four boys, I will see you all in my study, later this evening at 8-30. I expect you to be on time and wearing only your gym kit: shorts and vest and no underwear. You will learn then what is in store for you in the near future. As for the rest of you boys, I suggest you reflect on the new disciplinary measures I announced at assembly recently, for they are about to be put into action. As our friend Butterworth once asked, "Are you serious?" Well, as he found out to his cost, I was; and let me reaffirm to you all now, that I still am! You are all dismissed."

"My god, Andrew," said his friend Jeremy who had sat at high table that evening, "You really put the fear of god into those four lads."

"My dear Jeremy, it was completely intentional: a piece of theatre. What this school needs is a tightening of the discipline and these four lads with their action are worth making an example of. They broke two cardinal rules and therefore they have to suffer the consequences, which I can tell you they are going to find very, very painful. But, look here, Jeremy, as all four boys are, in fact, from your own house, I think it would be appropriate if you were to assist me this evening in punishing them.

"My dear Andrew, nothing would give me greater pleasure. I haven't whacked a single arse since taking over as housemaster and I would be delighted to help you with whatever you have in mind; and if I know you, it will very probably be an interesting evening for both us and the boys; a rather painful one for them. I suspect."

"Excellent! Be at my study by about eight, which will give us time to discuss just how we are going to deal with these boys; I'd like to make make it a memorable occasion for them, one which they will not quickly forget, but one which equally, they would rather never have experienced."

CHAPTER 9

Jeremy arrived early at Andrew's study that evening. "What have you in mind for these four lads? I guess from your instructions as to their attire, that we are going to beat a lot of butt evening and I have to say, given what they have been up to, these lads thoroughly deserve it.

"They certainly do and let me tell you they are going to leave here this evening with their arses on fire. Let's say that I believe in striking whilst the iron is hot; their misdemeanour is fresh in their minds so I think it most appropriate that they should have a souvenir of it imprinted on their backsides. You know, Jeremy, they have broken two cardinal rules of which the theft from Mr Robertson's shop is by far the more serious. And so I think they merit not one, but two really good beatings: once for going down town without their caps and once for the theft".

"So, what I have in mind is to give each of them a memorable caning, naked arse of course, this evening and then to tell them that they will be punished for the theft on Monday evening. But I intend to leave the sting in the tail; to let them stew in their own juice, so to speak, which will make them think twice about other larcenous escapades. I shall tell them that they will be punished again on Monday evening for the theft from Mr. Robertson's, but with no details as to what the punishment will be. Then, in front of the whole school at the Monday morning assembly, I will announce that these four boys, in view of the grave nature of their offence, will be birched that same evening. That way the whole school will realize that I was deadly serious in my remarks about the reintroduction of the birch and its use."

"And so, Jeremy, you may accuse me of killing a fly by pulling its wings off, but I think that these four boys have provided the opportunity for me to show that I am truly serious about pulling this school out of the mess in which I found it. Corporal punishment will be used and any infraction will lead to a caning. But before the boys arrive, let's just discuss what we a going to do to their arses here tonight. I know that they deserve to be beaten, but there is no reason at all why we too, as upholder of the rules, should not get some personal satisfaction from what we are going to do. I am not such a hypocrite as to deny that I do, myself, get a certain sadistic pleasure from dishing out punishment, and in particular, from beating adolescent boys' naked arses. When the cane descends on a nicely rounded rump, I can tell you that the crack it makes it to my ears as agreeable as that of the cricket bat hitting the ball for a six. Don't get me wrong, Jeremy, I never have and never will beat a boy for no reason just to satisfy my own base desires, but if reason exists, as is at present the case, then why should we not try to enjoy it. After all, with the added enthusiasm which the pleasure of a job well done brings with it, we can probably give the boys arses a better beating."

"I have to say, Andrew, that I share your views totally. Like you I get a certain personal satisfaction in inflicting pain on a deserving miscreant. So, Headmaster, it's your call. What exactly have you in mind for this evening?"

"Well, I have a couple of ideas which I would like to bounce off you. Each lad is going to be given twelve strokes of the cane across his naked arse. I always can naked, bare bum as the lads often call it, and twelve strokes is basically my standard tariff. I have never subscribed to the traditional idea of "six of the best' as in my view six cuts are totally insufficient to leave the recipient with an arse which he feels is on fire. So I habitually I give a minimum of twelve cuts, which, when evenly applied allow me to cover the entire rump with weals across both cheeks, from the bottom of the back to the top of the legs. I might add, if a boy merits a beating, then he must feel real pain; I do not subscribe to a few light taps as some masters do; when a boy leaves my study after a beating, he knows than his arse has been roasted to perfection. In a word it's got to be painful for him, otherwise we are wasting our time."

1...34567...10