A Winter's Tale Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

John seemed amused while Sander looked as if he was being exiled. Spencer simply accepted it as she did when a director told her to do something. It was much easier that way.

"I am filming in London," Spencer said to John while he poured himself a Scotch. Spencer shook her head when he offered her a drink. "I found it so different compared to American cities."

"Indeed, I have had troubles with the mathematical precision most of the American cities were designed. Straight streets and blocks, it all seems so unnatural."

"I agree, it is much more fun all those twists and turns."

"Did you get to do some sight seeing?" John asked.

"A little, I spend a day with a count or something. Hayworth? Anyway, he showed me around for a day before we started shooting. I spent most of my time inside the studios just outside London. Only did a few shots on location. Near the palace and on Trafalgar Square. I even met with Prince William and his wife when they visited the set. He was really charming."

"Ah yes, His Royal Highness has a deep interest in English Literature. When next we meet I shall tell him of your enchantment with him."

"I'd rather you did not," Spencer said in her practiced English accent, each word as precise as Queen's English allowed, "It would seem improper as His Royal Highness is married."

John almost rolled off his chair laughing. "Bravo," he said. "That was a delight. I wish you'd speak to me like that all the time."

"It makes my tongue hurt and my lips ache so I think I'll stick to my own North-Dakota accent."

They tried to include Sander into their conversation but he was too shy. Spencer suspected it was her presence more than anything else.

When, after half an hour, the family returned from their 'ultra' efficient routine, Spencer watched while kids were gathered and bags were packed.

Zooey roamed the room getting away from her dad and ended up near Spencer who grabbed the blonde girl who giggled loudly. The girl took hold of the purple hair once more and asked, "Me too?"

Henry looked at his girl and smiled. "Thanks for getting her. It usually takes a lot longer before she settles down. You don't, by any chance, babysit?"

"I used to but not anymore. The children get too excited near a celebrity, not so good on their sleep cycle," Spencer explained with a smile.

"There is always something," Henry said as he took Zooey away from Spencer.

The giggling girl turned around and waved her tiny hands. "Bye," she said and continued to giggle while she got kisses from all the people present.

Things quieted down once Paddy and Regal's families had left together with Henry and his kids. They were all staying at Paddy's.

"One more for the road?" Gerald asked his wife as he held up a bottle of Amaretto.

"One, I need to work in twelve hours," Kathleen said. Of all present only Ione wasn't allowed to drink.

"When are you leaving?" Spencer asked Ione.

"Sunday. Do you want to stay until then?"

"If Moira lets me," Spencer said, "I need to be back in London on Tuesday. Preferably Monday so I can get used to the time difference again."

"I wish we could have a little longer," Ione said softly.

"Wishing is for losers," Hailey giggled. She dumped her body next to Spencer. "I think you two should go out tomorrow. Live a little. Life is short." Hailey dangled her car keys in front of them. "They're yours if you want them. I am going to be too busy finishing my dissertation, or try to finish it."

"I could use a bit of fun," Spencer said as she smiled at Ione.

"It's a date," Ione said and that answer made her parents chuckle.
"So this is where you went to school?" Spencer asked as they stood in front of a large flat building that looked older than it actually was.

"Four years, I didn't like it much. I kept my nose in the books and my eyes off my classmates."

The two women walked down main street aiming for the small diner that, according to Ione, served the best coffee in the state.

"So I take it you don't have many fond memories?"

Ione looked across her shoulder and then sighed. "Not really. I was always afraid they'd find out. They did eventually and that was the worst time in my life. Luckily it didn't happen until Valentine's Day my senior year."

"What happened," Spencer asked as she pulled Ione closer.

"I was in love with Kim, a sweet girl who liked to run. She was always running. It was as if she couldn't walk. She lived on a farm out of town and her family... Let's say they are religious people."

"You're saying they were hypocrites and intolerant." Spencer wasn't impressed by religion, in fact, she thought it something akin brainwashing.

"Yeah," Ione giggled. "Anyways I had this crush on her and I had finally decided to do something about it. I wrote her a letter, anonymously, telling her I loved her and that if she would like to meet her secret admirer, she needed to go to Ducklings Pond on Saturday around noon holding the rose I had sent as well."

"You're such a romantic," Spencer said as she nosed her girlfriend.

"It was a stupid thing to do. When she came around she was with her brothers and they looked ready to beat the crap out of anyone that would send such a dirty letter to their sister. As I said they were religious fanatics."

"Did you get away?"

"No," Ione said with regret. "They started to look around and found me hiding behind one of the tool sheds."

"Did they hurt you?" Spencer asked sacred.

"Yes," Ione said, "They did, I was lucky that one of the teachers lived nearby who had seen them walk into the park. He had had dealings with them so he decided to follow. They were beating us with sticks when he came running."

"Us?" Ione asked.

"Kim tried to stop them and even put herself between me and her brothers. I think it enraged them even more."

"I was black and blue for weeks. The brothers were put in jail but were bailed out and fled the state. Kim was taken from them. Perhaps that is what makes this story a happy one."

"Happy story?" Spencer said shaking her head. "They got away with hurting you."

"But it got Kim out of there. She's in college now, law. She writes me at times. She's hooked up with a physics major and they are both happy."

They arrived at the diner a trifle cold but very much into one another.

"Hello Uncle Banks," Ione said when they walked in.

"Ione Winter, how dare you walk in here looking all sweet and cold!" the large man, big bellied and round faced, cried out in a much too high a voice for a man his size, extra extra large. His small eyes were sparkling as he escaped the bar he was behind and took Ione in a bear hug. "Hannah, come here," he shouted towards the kitchen and seconds later a tall red haired woman, a Winter trademark by now, opened her mouth to scream and another bear hug followed.

"Aunt Hannah, uncle Banks, this is Spencer," Ione said once clear of strong arms and pouting lips.

"Spencer, you are most welcome. Coffee coming right up," Banks said as he waddled back to his spot behind the bar.

"Dear child, you look cold," Aunt Hannah said looking at Spencer's nose which was indeed red and cold. "My niece should take better care of you."

"But..." Ione started but was shushed into silence.

"Spencer, you should know that Ione only comes here when she wants to tell us something important. So you must be very important."

"Hannah!" Ione exclaimed almost desperate to stop her.

"Probably as important as she is to me," Spencer said and pulled Ione closer which made her girlfriend stop freaking out.

"I am so glad you found someone. I was thinking you'd be a spinster or a cat lady next time we'd see you."

"Oh come on," Ione pouted.

"I'll make you a Remmy, Spencer what can I make you to go with the coffee?"

"Actually..." Spencer started but Ione answered for her. "Oreo cake."

"Oreo cake?" Spencer asked but was intrigued. She loved Oreos.

"You'll see," Hannah said and walked off to the kitchen.

Around them a lot of people were smiling and waving at Ione. A young man in the back even blew her a kiss before the girl he was with hit him over the head with her paper.

"Come sit with me," Ione said as she pointed out to the seats in front of the bar. "Watching my uncle make coffee is like a performance of a great artist."

Spencer sat and then watched with amazement while Banks made coffee. There wasn't a fancy machine or a can of coffee sitting stale on a hot plate, this was art in its purest form.

First there were the beans, whole and handpicked. Then followed the secret ingredients, a little cinnamon, a little cardamon, a little this and a little of that, all arranged in a perfect order. The grinding was done by hand with a strange half metal half wooden box, making Banks turn red for a few seconds. Then came the water, it looked crystal clear even while boiling. The grounded beans and other ingredients were divvied up into two glass cups without a grain going to waste or sticking to the sides of the glass.

When the boiling water hit the beans, the diner was suddenly filled with the smell of coffee. The glasses were placed in front of the two girls swirling with tiny bits of coffee. Then after exactly the right amount of time, Banks pressed down the filters and the coffee became devoid of speckles and grains. For a moment a few more veins were visible in Banks face, mostly on his forehead, and then the cups were released. "Enjoy," Banks said as he took a bow and rushed over to another neglected customer.

"Wait a moment, before you drink it, smell it first."

"I am not much of a coffee drinker," Spencer said but then she realised how incredible the coffee smelled. She simply stopped making excuses and took a tiny sip with the spoon that lay next to the glass.

"Amazing," Spencer said and couldn't wait for the coffee to cool and take more than a sip.

"Uncle Banks may look and act weird but he's a true artist and I love him a lot," Ione whispered.

They chatted over the coffee and were surprised by two slices of cake, one black, white and black and the other green and had an odd texture.

"There is more where that came from," Hannah said with a quirky smile and placed two tiny forks next to the plates. She twirled around and walked back into the kitchen humming a tune.

While they were enjoying the coffee and their company, the door opened and closed behind them. A shriek followed and then one word, "Ione!"

Ione looked over her shoulder and could only gape. There stood her cousin Olivia, her belly about to burst into another Winter.

"Olivia, I didn't know you got pregnant," Ione said after she had been hugged and kissed by her younger cousin.

"Theo and I were a bit too comfortable," Olivia said a little embarrassed. "We're getting married after I have the baby."

"Theo?" Ione asked stupefied.

"No not our Theo, Theo Garrison, the quarterback."

Ione let out a deep breath. "When you said Theo I was about to call you insane."

"Yuck, I have to have a coffee now just getting rid of that image," Olivia said as she moved over to Banks and ordered some fancy coffee.

"Another member?" Spencer asked quickly.

"Yeah, she's my cousin, my uncle Larry's youngest. She's a bit wild."

"And very pregnant," Spencer said as she looked at the girl who looked to be wider than long.

"It happens a lot in these parts. There isn't a lot to do."

"At least being with a girl will not get you pregnant," Spencer smiled and was rewarded by a kiss.

"Oh," Olivia said when she saw the kiss.

"Still not sure I am gay?" Ione asked Olivia who had always assumed Ione's lifestyle to be a phase.

"Well, if you say so. It's none of my business but..."

"But I like her the way she is," Spencer said before Olivia could finish her sentence.

"Olivia this is my girlfriend Spencer," Ione said and hoped Olivia would be nice.

For a moment Olivia looked to start an argument, it didn't happen. "Nice to meet you," Olivia said amused. "For all it's worth, I think you do look good together. Much better than that..."

"Olivia!" Banks interrupted. "Watch your mouth."

"Yes, uncle Banks," Olivia said rolling her eyes. "I just wanted to say tramp."

"Girl, your mouth will get the better of you," Banks said but it wasn't too harsh. He smiled at Spencer and added, "Not all Winters are that weird."

Spencer laughed. "I know. Ione's every girls dream."

"Not every girl," Olivia said and then giggled.

They had a pleasant talk and another drink before the two girls wandered off into the white landscape.

"Where next?" Spencer asked.

"Walk a little? I like snow and the smell of it."

"Sounds good to me," Spencer said and the two walked through the light snow, holding each other close.

"Oh no," Spencer said when they arrived at the town square and saw a woman walk out of the police station.

"What?" Ione asked concerned.

"She actually did it."

As Spencer was not making sense Ione asked, "Who?"

"Moira, my assistant. I told her not to come find me but she's here. I should have tried to explain it better."

"She found you here? Wow, she must be one hell of a psychic."

"I only told her your name Ione Winter. She must have called every Ione Winter in North Dakota."

"She spotted you," Ione whispered hoping this was not going to be one of those impropriate arguments in public.

"Don't freak out, Moira is a bit over the top."

"Spencer Spencer Brennan," Moira said too calm. Moira was a tall woman, big breasted, brunette and eyes that could burn through the thickest of lies. Late twenties and wearing a long coat that looked brand new. "I was about to call you."

"Moira you shouldn't have come, you were with your parents, your brother. I told you I was fine."

"Like the last time you said that when you disappeared for days. I had to pick you up at a hotel where not even cockroaches like to spend more than a minute."

"It wasn't that bad," Spencer said slowly. "Look Moira you can yell at me when we're home. I'll even call your parents to tell them I messed up but not now, ok?"

A long silence and a stare that could freeze suns later, Moira sighed. "Moira Anderson, you must be Ione Winter."

"Hello," Ione said as she shook the offered hand. "I am sorry that you had to come down here."

"That is between Spencer and me, don't worry, so far I can tell you have done nothing wrong. You," Moira eyed Spencer, "will need to come up with the best possible explanation for me not to quit right here and now."

Spencer looked at Ione for a moment and then said in a trembling voice. "I am going to tell you something and please... Please don't freak out. Can you do that?"

Ione narrowed her eyes.

"Please?" Spencer asked once more.

"I'll try," Ione said.

"I love you," Spencer said with a hint of tears in her eyes.

When Ione didn't react Spencer tried once more. "Ione, I fell in love with you the moment I saw you."

Ione stood frozen in the snow. The words stuck in her throat. The words she needed to say but they were not coming. She did the best next thing she could do and kiss Spencer so hard and fast that it hurt.

"I guess that it is mutual," Moira said amused. "At least you weren't bullshitting me."

Ione pulled her lips from Spencer and whispered as her voice didn't seem to work anymore. "Love you too."

Then Moira opened her big arms and gave the small girls a hug while kissing their hair. "Sometimes you really surprise me in a good way, Spencer. But please don't do it while you're on the edge. Even your brother called me to tell what happened. He was so worried. Why didn't you call him?"

"I don't want to get him into trouble."

"You should call him now or by all that is holy I will make your life miserable until you either fire me or do as I say."

Spencer did exactly what Moira said and took out her phone and dialled a number.

Moira nodded with approval and then focused on Ione. "You know there are eighteen people called Ione Winter around here."

"I didn't know that," Ione said confused. "Did you try all of them?"

"Nah, you switched places with Spencer on the plane. It wasn't that hard to find you."

"Oh, I did that so Spencer could see her family."

Moira nodded with a grim stare. "If I ever see that man again I am going to tell him what I think of him straight in his face."

"Get in line," Ione said as she watched Spencer talk on the phone looking terrified.

"I met your mother," Moira said after she had confirmed Spencer was talking to her brother.

"Oh," Ione said and then giggled. "She probably was quite amused."

"Yes, she was," Moira said with a frown. "Don't get me wrong but I had expected a bit more surprise and worry."

"From my mother? That would be quite an accomplishment," Ione giggled. "And besides we already told her everything. I don't have secrets. At least none that matter."

Moira scanned the sophomore for a moment and made up her mind. "Perhaps now she will finally admit to herself that she is not going to keep her life style secret. You look like the person that will keep her down to earth. I don't seem to be doing well in that department."

Ione shrugged. "I don't tell people what to do. I think they should make up their mind and when they want advice I'll give it but I won't try to push my opinion on them."

"A good thing. And to be honest I have never seen her act like this around anyone."

"Act?" Ione asked guarded.

Moira understood immediately that she had made the wrong choice of words. "I meant to say that she never is so open and I think she's even more relaxed than I have ever seen before with a girl. She always tries to hide that from the world so she made up all these rules of not being seen with her girlfriends, well more like flings. I think she never ever really fell in love before, that is before she met you."

Ione shivered and turned to look at Spencer calling her brother, her face was a mess and she kept rubbing her eyes to keep away tears. It took all of Ione's willpower not to run over and comfort her love.

"She needs to deal with that before she has to get back to England. She told you that, right?"

Ione nodded. "She did. Spencer was worried you'd make her go tonight."

"I was," Moira said but sighed. "But not anymore. I am not going to get between you two. And besides, the director had a slight accident yesterday. Spencer doesn't have to be back in the studios before Wednesday now. Don't tell her that yet as it might still change. There is also a second unit director who is eager to step in."

"I have to get back to school on Monday anyway. We could fly together perhaps and say goodbye at the airport, I am flying over JFK, cheaper tickets and my roommate will fly me from JFK to Philly."

"You're a sophomore at Penn, right?" Moira asked after digging deep in her memory. It had been in the one page folder, Derrick, her PI, had made up based on the ticket information.

"I am, how did you know?" Ione asked confused.

"Secrets of the trade," Moira said secretive. "I am after all Spencer Lucas' assistant. I need to know things before Spencer does. It makes my life a lot easier."

"I see," Ione said finding Moira's smile comforting enough to accept her explanation.

"It's nothing personal, but I do have a job that isn't always nice and I cannot always be nice. I think you should be able to understand that."

Ione nodded, she understood but wasn't sure where the job started and Moira's friendliness ended.

She watched Spencer tear up and rushed over.

"Come here," Ione said as she pulled Spencer close. The hand with the phone hanging on her left side and her other hand clearing away the tears from her eyes.

"He said he would rather lose a father than me."

"Don't worry about that now," Ione said as she pulled Spencer towards a bench near the police station. "We can deal with anything."