A Wolf's Tail Ch. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Fair enough. I don't mean to pry," a ring tuned overhead, marking the hour, "Well, time is getting on. So... You need to wait to be discharged and when you get home, shift and you will be fine. Emma got out of surgery a while ago and she should be discharged within a couple of days." He stopped and his eyes unfocused, as though his mind was a mile away. He sighed and turned back to her, "I have to go meet my cousin, and then we will see about some visiting, ok?" Anna shrugged, she found she liked this man, and considering how she felt towards the Were species in general, she was surprised with herself. She smiled at him as he excused himself. Nurse Janice returned with a wheelchair and took her to see her friend.

Emma lay in her bed, sleeping. She looked so pale amongst the white sheets and she had tubes coming out of her arms. Anna held her hand as she felt tears fall down her cheek, "Emma, I'm so sorry," she whispered, "I'm sorry I dragged you into this life, I am so sorry for everything."

A nurse walked in, stopping short upon seeing her patient's visitor. "You are the girl who brought her in, no?" she asked. Anna nodded mutely, and the nurse smiled at her, "I heard about your feet. She will make a full recovery thanks to your quick actions. The doctors say she will be ready to go home in a couple of days." With that she bustled about the cubicle, adding things to her chart and checking monitors and tubes. With another smile and a nod the nurse left the room, passing by Janice, who had returned to bring Anna back to her bed.

~~~~~~~

Looking out across the rolling plains, Scott sighed and ran his fingers through his hair as he resisted the urge to throw his phone across the room. His best friend was M.I.A. and he was fast running out of excuses for him. He looked down at his hands, clenched shut in frustration. His father had been in a foul mood and seemed to be focusing his feelings towards him as the heir of the pack. He knew that his father was having some trouble with a neighbouring pack, along with organising his sister's mating- and human wedding- ceremony that were fast approaching.

"Scott!" a feminine voice dripping with seduction wafted over to him. With a shudder he realised that Christina was looking for him, and by the sounds of the clacking of her stiletto heels, she had succeeded. He growled under his breath, praying to Luna for patience. The tall blonde draped herself across his body, running her scarlet taloned fingers across his taught stomach and up into his lengthy brown hair. He grabbed her hands and put them at her sides. "Contain yourself, Christina. I will not warn you again," he growled. He kicked himself for the umpteenth time since he gave in to her seduction. It had not even been that enjoyable in the end, and now she almost refused to leave his side. She had gone as far as spreading rumours about them planning to mate.

She barely managed to repress her anger. Putting her smile back on her face, she batted her eyes at him, "Your father is looking for you, that is all, sweetie."

"Do not address me so informally," he snarled, his emerald eyes bleeding into a molten gold hue as he stared her down. Christine winced and looked away, baring her neck in submission. "If I catch you making up rumours again, I will take it up with the Madame and she will deal with you most severely. You have been warned." Quickly, she slinked away, choosing to bide her time to wheedle her way into power. With a growl, he crossed the grounds and headed to his father's office.

Standing in front of the mahogany desk, Scott waited for his father to speak. "Scott. Lance is at the hospital doing his rounds. I need you to take these files down to him and make sure he reads them."

Scott blinked, "Surely one of the delta's can do it? It's a simple messenger task."

Curt growled deeply at his son, "I have requested this of you; son and you will do as I say. You have not left the compound for months and you have done nothing of value for this pack. Now be gone."

With a wave of his hand, Scott was dismissed. His jaw clenched he stormed from the room, nearly running into his mother. "Hi darling. Don't let him get to you," she crooned, "his mood will pass." She patted him on the back and sent him on his way.

Nathaniel still wasn't answering his phone, so Scott was forced to go with Rick, his sister's intended. Sulking in the car, Scott was silent while Rick drove. Rick gave up trying to entice the surly man to speak and was duly concentrating on the road.

Stopping outside the hospital Rick smiled at the dark and brooding man that was his future Alpha. "Here we go, I will be down the street getting some coffee. Just gimme a call when you're finished playing delivery boy."

Scott refused to reply to the bait and exited the car with a growl. He marched into the hospital, files clutched tightly under his arm. He walked with a purpose through the unfamiliar corridors, trying to scent out his cousin. Giving up, he strolled over to a desk and gave the orderly his best seductive smile, "I'm looking for Lance Braanan and I am completely lost, I don't suppose you would be able to help me?" he watched with glee as her eyes widened. Here was a gorgeous, tall and toned, dark and handsome man talking to her. He knew from the talk among the females of the pack he was every cliché found in a romance novel rolled into one package.

She flustered a bit and showed him the way to his cousin's office. Finding it empty, the orderly apologised and left him in the room, explaining that she couldn't leave her desk unmanned. With a sigh he lowered himself into the chair, wondering if he could get away with just leaving them on his desk. Deciding against aggravating his father, he settled down to wait.

Scott closed his eyes and connected with his cousin mentally, ~ Lance, I'm here and in your office. I don't have all day! ~

He heard his cousin's sigh within his head, ~ I am with a patient,~ he said, ~ I will be there in a sec.~

Scott groaned and shifted in his seat, trying his best impression of patient.

He could hear and feel his cousin's approach. The door opened and he opened his mouth to say something smart, but all sound died in his throat. The smell coming from his cousin... it was... quite simply the best thing he had ever smelt. It was a combination of lilies and vanilla along with something entirely feminine.

With a growl he grabbed Lance and roughed him against the wall. Eyes glowing dangerously, he pushed him harder, "Where is she? Where are you hiding her? She's MINE!" he yelled.

Lance held very still, his eyes averted and limp against the wall. "There is a Were here from another pack. She unwell and I cannot allow you to meet her here. This is a HUMAN hospital, my Betalpha, and I cannot risk you losing control of your wolf.

Scott thrust him against the wall, "I will let loose my wolf and find her myself!"

Lance gasped in horror, "You can't! We must uphold the law of secrecy above all else! No matter who you are you cannot risk our safety, our species safety, just to get at your mate a few hours earlier! LISTEN TO ME! Wait in the car. Give me time to organise her discharge and I will make sure that she will meet you before this day is out."

Scott fought within himself, refusing to give his wolf the opportunity to burst forth and find her. He slowly lowered his cousin to his feet. Lance straightened his coat before nodding. He walked out of the office without a backward glance. He hurried down the corridor, his mind whirling. He pulled back the curtain, catching the young woman halfway on her feet.

~~~~~

"Now, now Ms King." A voice admonished with a chuckle.

Anna growled in frustration that died as she smelt the most delicious smell on him. She raised her eyebrows, as her nostrils flared, taking in as much of the scent as she could. Her pupils dilated and she felt her stomach tie itself in knots. "My my, you smell delicious... doctor." She began to stalk him, stripping him with her eyes.

"Miss KING!" a female voice cried. It snapped Anna out of her reverie. Her nurse had returned, her face was bright red and there was steam pouring from her ears. "Get back in that bed this instance. This is the last time I-"

"Nurse Janice, there is no need for such hysterics; I have come to collect her and organise her discharge. She jumped the gun as I haven't completed the paperwork, nor have I gained a wheelchair yet."

Grumbling, the displeased nurse left muttering under her breath. Lance watched her going and turned to find Anna in his face. She gripped his head and leaned into his neck, sniffing deeply. Her eyes snapped open in confusion as she looked at him, "what-" she asked.

"My cousin," said lance, grabbing her hands and removing them from his cheeks. "It took a lot to make him leave without seeing you and killing me. I have promised him that you will meet him today, if that's ok." He said hesitantly.

Anna smiled at him, her wolf going crazy. What was she doing just sitting here when her mate was within the hospital limits? She found herself pushed back into bed and ordered by molten coloured eyes to remain there. She shifted and fought the urge to growl and challenge the order, but Nurse Janice came back and pulled her curtains open so she could keep her hawk-like eyes on her. This brought Anna back to her senses as she tried to wait patiently to be let out.

An agonising hour later, she was wheeled out of the hospital by Lance and taken to a private garden gazebo, hedged by giant shrubberies that obscured its interior. Anna felt her wolf singing to the bright afternoon sky and a bright smile crossed her face as they circled the pavilion. To her surprise she felt a singing reply that made her heart leap.

Coming across the entrance, Anna forgot about the man pushing her, the bright day, the birds singing. Her eyes met his and they seemed to melt together. She lost herself in his dreamy emerald eyes as he stared at her openly.

"Hey," he said quietly, his face turning up into a heartbreaking smile.

"Hi," she replied, feeling the corners of her lips pulling up. She was trying to think of something clever to say and coming up completely nothing. She felt herself pulled to him. By the look on his face, she could tell he was having the same problem.

He leaned in and with a start she realised that there was no space between them. Somehow she had left her wheelchair, and walked up and into the gazebo. Her breath caught in her throat. His lips loomed in her view, luscious and masculine.

His lips met gently with hers and her mind went blank.

12