Action!

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
komrad1156
komrad1156
3,802 Followers

"Oh, you don't have to do that. We get by all right, right baby cakes?"

"Dad, I'm not a baby," Shay said with her arms crossed and using the more formal term of address.

"Sorry. I forgot. You do go to school now."

"She is so adorable!" Allie said. "Can I get a hug?"

"Yes, you may," Shay informed her.

After the hug Shay told her, "I like when you stay with us."

"Oh, how sweet! Well...so do I."

Allie stood up and looked at Burke while saying to Shay, "Maybe your father would like to do something together one of these days. You know. The three of us. Sometime. Whenever."

"Oh, um...well, let's see how things go, shall we?" Burke said cheerfully in a noncommittal way.

"Oh, sure," Allie said very agreeably, again feeling like she was making progress.

"I'll walk you out," Burke said.

"Can I go?" Shay said.

It was her bedtime, but she only had a half day and it was Kindergarten so Burke threw her coat on and grabbed his.

"Thank you again, Allie," he told her as they stood next to her car.

"My pleasure," she said.

There was an awkward moment before Allie basically lunged at him. She was trying to kiss him on the cheek but hit his face with hers fairly hard before her lips made contact.

"Oh, sorry! Did I hurt you?" Allie asked quickly.

"No. I'm fine," he told her as he forced himself not to rub the area she'd smacked on the way in.

"Oh, okay. Well...goodnight!" she said as she quickly got in her car.

Surprised but not stunned, Burke waved to her as she backed out.

The lights were still on in Taylor's bus, and when he glanced up, he saw Anne looking out so he waved to her, too. As he went to turn away, he saw her motioning him inside.

"Is that the famous movie star?" Shay asked as she looked way up high and saw Anne smiling.

"No. That lady is kind of like Allie is to me. She helps the famous movie star."

"She wants us to go inside, Daddy. Can we?" Shay asked.

"Well, I suppose we could. But only for a minute. You have to get to bed."

Moments later, Shay was taking in all of the grandeur as she said, "Wow! The bus is like a fancy house, Daddy!"

Taylor no sooner saw the little girl come in than she was out of her seat.

"Hi there, young lady! You are a very pretty girl!" Taylor told her as she walked toward her and her father.

"Thank you. You're pretty, too," she said quietly as she clutched her daddy's leg.

Taylor bent down and was all smiles as she asked, "What's your name?"

"Shay," she answered.

"It's nice to meet you, Shay. I'm Taylor."

"You're a famous movie star, and we just saw you on TV!"

Taylor looked at Burke as she said, "Oh, you did? Which movie did you watch?"

"It was boring," Shay said with childlike innocence. "But you're still very pretty. My daddy thinks so, too."

Taylor laughed a genuine laugh as Burke tried to make amends.

"I did mention you were a very attractive woman, but I didn't think the movie was boring."

"Did your wife like it?" she asked as she stood up.

Burke realized the confusion and said, "Oh, that's Allie. She's my Anne."

The light came on for both women as Anne said, "Okay. Now it makes sense. I wondered why your wife would have come home then left again at this time of night. She almost knocked you out!"

Burke realized Anne had been watching then, too, and didn't say anything.

"Anne? Don't you have my itinerary to work on?" Taylor said politely.

"No, I finished it an..."

She 'got it' a bit late but she did get it.

"Right. I'll take care of that immediately," she said as she excused herself and went to the far end of the bus.

"So, Miss Shay. How old are you?" Taylor asked clearly enamored with the pretty little girl.

"I'm five years old. But next year I'll be six," she said very authoritatively.

"Why yes, you will!" Taylor said. "Do you know what you want to be when you grow up?"

"I wanna be the mayor. Just like my daddy. He's my best friend in the whoooole world."

Taylor stood up and said to Burke, "I was wondering if I might be able to ask you a personal question."

"Um...sure," he said wondering what she had in mind.

"Miss Shay? Would you like to look around my bus?" Taylor asked after bending back down.

"Is it okay, Daddy?"

"Sure, honey. I don't think you'll get lost even though it is a very big bus."

Shay went straight to the back where Anne was sitting and started peppering her with questions, and Burke could she she wasn't as interested in his daughter as her boss was.

Taylor asked Burke to sit down then said, "I feel bad about making reference to your wife. I feel like there's something I'm missing that's none of my business, and I feel like I owe you an apology for something. Just in case. Am I wrong?"

She smiled a kind smile then before Burke could reply said, "In fact, I'm almost certain I do."

"No, you don't owe me an apology of any kind," Burke told her. "My wife died a couple of years back when I was still on active duty. There was a car accident. Shay doesn't really remember her mother. But you don't need to apologize for anything."

"Oh, my goodness. Burke, I am truly sorry for your loss. That sounds so trite, I know, but I am very sorry. And poor Shay. I can't even imagine."

"I'm glad you can't," he told her with a half smile of his own. "It was devastating. I won't deny that. But we either move on or life moves on and leaves us behind. Running for mayor was a way to stay busy and forget even though we never really forget."

"That's very well put," Taylor said as she saw him in a different light for the first time. "May I ask what you did in the military?"

"I was an infantry officer in the Marine Corps," he told her.

"Interesting. I once dated someone who was a Marine. But that was a very long time ago," she said.

She thought about adding, "Probably before you were born," but didn't.

"I think I'd have stayed in had we not had Shay. I'd already resigned my commission and only had few weeks left on active duty when Rebecca, my wife, was killed. There's no way I could raise my daughter by myself and be gone that much. I loved serving, and I really loved my Marines. But there's nothing or no one I love more than my daughter."

"She's beautiful. And so smart. She's very articulate."

Burke smiled and said, "You mean...precocious, right?"

Taylor laughed then said, "No. Not at all. She's very sweet."

She turned to look at her and could tell Anne was very annoyed but putting up with it because it was her job.

"I'd love to have a little girl," she said wistfully as she turned back around.

Quickly, she added, "Or a little boy."

"I had no idea how much a child would change our lives until we had one. I was in Afghanistan when Shay was born, and while I really wanted to see her, it wasn't until I held her that first time that my whole outlook on life changed. There's nothing I wouldn't do for her."

Taylor could feel the sincerity in his words and they touched her deeply.

"I have no doubt about that, Burke," she told him.

He smiled then said, "It's getting late. For Shay, that is. I should really get her in bed. Tomorrow is the last day...well, half day...of school."

"Oh, sure! I didn't mean to keep you. I just wanted to make sure our comments weren't offensive," she said in a very kind way.

"You didn't say anything offensive at all, and I took no offense at what Anne said, either."

"I'm glad. And thank for you for sharing that with me, Burke. I wish there was some way I could help or change things, but I'm just an aging actress who's less and less excited about acting as the years go by."

"I know you hear this all the time, Taylor, but you are quite possibly the most beautiful woman I've ever seen," he told her sincerely.

She smiled warmly just as Burke said, "Rebecca aside."

"Well, I know exactly how old I am and don't feel that way, but that was very nice to hear. And if I may return the compliment, you are a very handsome young man so I have no doubt your wife was gorgeous."

"She really was," he told her. "Inside and out."

Burke sort of clapped his hands together then said, "Um...let me get Shay and we'll be out of your hair."

Then he paused and asked, "Oh. Is this okay? Parking here. Does that work for you?"

"It does. It's perfect. I love the quiet. Manhattan is always noisy and I had to have my bedroom soundproofed because I can't sleep if there's any sound at all. Around here, well, is there ever any noise?"

Just then Shay came skipping up to them and said, "Daddy? Can we go home?"

"Oh, sure. I was just coming to get you. Is everything okay?"

"Yes," she said unconvincingly.

"Did that lady say something to you?" Taylor asked.

"It's okay," Shay said quietly.

"What's okay, honey? What did she say to you? You can tell me," Taylor said now bent down and looking into her eyes.

She looked at her father who said, "It's up to you, sweetie."

"She told me I was an annoying little brat," Shay said as tears welled up in her eyes.

"She...what?" Taylor said. "Oh, my gosh!"

She looked at Burke then said, "Now I owe you an apology. I am so embarrassed."

"Don't be. You're not responsible for anyone but yourself," he assured her.

He took Shay's hand and said, "Come on, sweetie pie. Let's go get you ready for bed."

"Can she come with us, Daddy?" Shay said with those pleading eyes that were still wet with tears.

"Oh, Miss Taylor is very busy, honey. I don't think she'd..."

"I...wouldn't mind," Taylor said quickly before adding just as quickly, "Well, I mean, if it's okay with you, of course. I don't want to intrude or interrupt."

"And I don't want to take you away from your work," he told her.

"Oh, please! I've read the entire script and have my first day's lines down pat. I'm sick of working! I could use a dose of...reality."

"Well...okay, then," Burke said.

Shay's tears were gone and replaced by a happy smile as she grabbed Taylor's hand.

"Come on! I'll show you my room!" she said suddenly very happy.

Burke pulled off his coat and slipped it around Taylor's shoulders.

"It's a short walk but it's freezing out there," he told her as they headed off the bus.

Taylor couldn't remember the last time she'd been in a real house. Not a custom-built home that belonged to someone who worked in Hollywood or a penthouse or very nice apartment in New York, but a good, old-fashioned house like she'd grown up in.

It was rather small for a home and although she was no expert, Taylor guessed it to be about 1,500 square feet. It had two very small bedrooms in addition to the master along with a second bathroom across from the two bedrooms.

Shay pulled her into the first room that had a lot of pink and white in it.

"This is my bedroom," she announced.

"It's very pretty!" Taylor said.

Most of the house was very sparsely decorated, but this room had clearly had a woman's touch at some point. It was only maybe 10 x 12, but that was more than enough space for a five-year old girl. Taylor took a quick look around and saw a number of dolls along with quite a few stuffed animals. An older-looking, white bunny rabbit with big floppy ears was propped up on the bed next to her pillow.

Taylor pointed to it and asked, "Is this your favorite?"

"Yes, it is. His name is Mr. Chiggles."

"Mr. Chiggles. I see," Taylor said trying not to smile as she definitely didn't 'see'.

"He keeps me from being sad when I go to sleep," Shay told her.

"Oh, that's very nice of him. He must be a very good friend."

"He's my other best friend," she told Taylor who now understood who her very best friend was.

Shay picked the stuffed animal up and handed it to Taylor.

"You can have Mr. Chiggles. I don't want you to be lonely on your bus."

Deeply touched, Taylor bent back down and said, "Oh, Shay! That is the sweetest thing ever, but I can't take your favorite stuffed animal."

"It's okay. I'm not sad anymore so you can have him."

"Oh. Do I look sad?" Taylor asked sweetly.

"Well, do you have a husband to keep you safe?" she asked with genuine concern.

"No. No, I don't, sweetheart."

"Well, then you can have Mr. Chiggles, and he will protect you."

"Okay, sweetie. You need to go brush your teeth and get ready for bed," her father told her.

Once Shay was in the bathroom Burke explained.

"My mom passed away when I was in high school and this had been hers growing up. My dad gave it to Rebecca when we got married and we forgot all about it because it was in storage. Then after she died, I was going through stuff and found it. I told Shay Mr. Chiggles would keep her safe and help her not be lonely."

"It looks dated but it's in very good condition," Taylor said as she tried to blink back tears after hearing the very touching story. "Do you think I should take it? Will she be hurt if I don't?"

"I think it would make her happy if you did," he told her. He saw her blinking hard but didn't mention it.

"Okay. Well, in that case, how could I not? I'll make sure Mr. Chiggles get back home before we leave," she told him.

Shay came back in then asked Taylor, "Can you please tuck me in tonight?"

"Honey, I'll take of that," her dad said.

"No, that's okay. If you don't mind," Taylor said. "I mean, anyone who trusts me enough to take Mr. Chiggles has to be very special."

"Well, okay. Her nightie is on the bed, and we always read..."

Shay grabbed the book they'd been reading and said very happily, "This one! I'll show you what page we're on."

"Give me a kiss," Burke said before he left them alone. Shay gave him one along with a big hug.

"Goodnight, Daddy. I love you!"

"I love you, too, sweetie. See you in the morning."

Fifteen minutes later Taylor came out holding Mr. Chiggles.

"Thank you for letting me do that, Burke. I can't even tell you how wonderful that was," she said sincerely.

"No, thank you," he said as he stood up to walk her out.

"Burke?" she said.

"Uh-huh?"

"This may not come out the way I'd like it to, but would you mind if we maybe just sat and talked for a while?" she asked, her eyebrows raised high in hopeful anticipation. "If it's not too late."

"That came out just right, in my humble opinion, and no, it's not too late," he told her. "I'd like that. Can I get you anything to drink?"

"No, thank you. The conversation will be more than enough, I'm sure."

It was just after midnight when Taylor finally said she should probably go.

They'd talked nearly non-stop about so much Taylor would have to spend some time going back over it all. They began talking about Shay and school then moved on to Rebecca and Taylor's Marine boyfriend and how she got into acting. By the time she finally got ready to leave it felt like they'd covered pretty much everything two people meeting for the first time could talk about.

Taylor had even opened up and shared the way she felt and how badly she wanted a family then apologized for laying all that on Burke.

"I shared my tragedy with you. Why would you feel bad about telling me the way you feel about your career and your feelings on life and love?"

"I don't know. I guess I feel...weak... or something. Like I'm...whining, you know?"

"You're not whining, Taylor. You're just human. You may be rich and famous, but you're no different than any other man or woman who wants to love and be loved. I know how amazing that feels, and maybe someday I'll be fortunate enough to experience it again. I have no doubt you will, too, Taylor."

He paused for a moment then told her, "You're not just beautiful, you're a really amazing person."

She didn't respond immediately. She just stood there and looked at him as she took in not only his words but the entire evening.

"I suppose coming to this realization at my age is better than never coming to it all, right?" she finally said trying to sound positive.

Burke smiled then said, "That's twice you've mentioned age as though it's some kind of big deal when it's not. And again I'll just remind you you're a very beautiful woman. But more importantly, now that I know you a little better, I can tell you're a very special person, too, and getting to know you has been a real pleasure."

Taylor smiled warmly as he loaned her his coat again.

"Come on. I'll walk you back," he said.

"No. It's freezing cold out there!" she told him.

"I'll be fine," he assured her, smiling and opening the door.

A few seconds later they were at her door near the front of the bus.

"I can't remember the last time I enjoyed myself so much," she told him.

"Well, it's like I said, things are pretty exciting here in Diamond Rock."

Taylor laughed then told him, "I think that's what I enjoyed most about it. It was so genuine and so real. In other words...nothing at all like my real life. Or would that be my...faux life?"

"I enjoyed it, too," he told her.

There was a brief pause before Taylor slowly moved toward him and kissed him on the cheek without so much as bumping him.

"Thank you for a wonderful and memorable evening, Burke."

"Anytime," he told her sincerely.

"Were I a little closer to your age..." she said.

"You'd be busy building your career," he said with a smile.

"Ouch. True but...ouch," she replied.

"Besides, you'd go stir crazy in no time. One night of hanging out in Diamond Rock doing nothing is one thing. I don't think you'd find doing it for a lifetime much fun."

Taylor wanted to agree with him and yet she couldn't bring herself to say he was right. Instead she said, "You never know, Burke. People change."

"Yes, sometimes they do," he agreed.

She looked at him then looked down then looked back up at him one more time.

"I...I really should get inside," she told him quietly.

"Sleep tight," he told her.

"How could I not?" she said holding up Mr. Chiggles.

"Ah, yes! You'll be safe and sound!"

There was another silent exchange of smiles and looks before Taylor finally told him goodnight and went inside.

Anne was wide awake and waiting for her when Taylor walked up the stairs.

"I guess he's not quite so married after all, huh?" she said snidely before walking away.

"Anne?" Taylor said.

"Yes?"

"You can book yourself a return flight to New York for tomorrow. I'll call you a cab and you can stay in a motel tonight."

Anne spun around and her voice heavy with disbelief said, "What? Taylor? Are you serious? I was totally kidding. You can't fire me!"

"You're annoying," she said without any venom in her voice and Anne immediately understood.

"That little twit told you?" she said shaking her head.

"That...sweet little girl...lost her mother when she was three years old," Taylor said without emotion. "And her mother was the love of her father's life. I know you come from the city, but I don't care for your attitude anymore. I'll make sure you get a very nice severance and a glowing recommendation, but yes, you're fired. Now please leave before I change my mind about the recommendation."

Taylor wasn't sure she could find a taxi at this time of night and was pleasantly surprised to learn Diamond Rock had one. She called while Anne picked up her things.

When the cab showed up, Anne turned to Taylor and said, "Good luck trying to manage your schedule without me."

Taylor didn't even respond. She just watched Anne go away and wondered why she'd put up with her for so long. Then again, she knew why. Until just recently...very recently...she'd shared most of her values and tolerated the ones they didn't share. But after experiencing just one short evening of the kind of life she found herself longing to live, putting up with Anne and her insufferable ways was no longer an option.

The next morning, the entire little town was abuzz with talk about the movie and the sets being built, and a pretty decent crowd was standing around watching when the mayor showed up around 1 o'clock, and now that school was out, he had his daughter in tow.

komrad1156
komrad1156
3,802 Followers