Adopting Janie

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"So I should tell Janie I'm willing to adopt her?"

"Hell no. No way. Let the initiative, if any, come from Janie and/or her father. Just take opportunities to deepen your attachment to Janie but Tony will doubtless tell you this: avoid discussing adoption with her."

On the strength of that Chase changed the booking of the hotel accommodation to a double suite so that she could stay with the visitors to have more time with them.

Chase, who now drove a new Buick LaCrosse, met Jennifer and Janie at the airport amid great excitement and Chase was almost brought to tears when she looked up with Janie hugging her and crying to find Jennifer looking at them both fondly.

That made a profound impression on her.

The hotel accommodation was fine and was within easy walking distance from a children's theme park and twenty minutes after booking in to the hotel Janie was dragging both women through the park entrance.

That evening at 6:00 Jennifer and Janie sat in the theater for more than an hour watching the start of rehearsals before they returned to the hotel to eat and the exhausted Janie then went to sleep.

Chase arrived at the suite just before 10:00 and ordered a meal to be brought up. Jennifer had eaten with Janie but shared the bottle of wine.

"You were amazing on stage. In fact I was blown away by just how good you all were and I regularly attend amateur and professional theater so have some idea about standards. You must be exhausted, changing from acting your part to directing the actions of others in the cast and often taking them through something several times over."

""Mentally exhausted yes, but that's theater. I didn't have to take a role but it was suggested I would be perfect for the part and I do love acting."

"It shows. Mrs White the producer told me you are a wonderful acquisition for the troupe and for the theater generally. She says there's been a real buzz about the place ever since you arrived."

"That's nice to know. Thelma had never shared those thoughts with me."

They talked on and as they were leaving for bed Jennifer hugged Chase and said, "I saw a lot of you and Janie interacting today and thought Janie reacts to you as if you were her mother."

Chase burst into tears and Jennifer hugged her and said, "I know, I know. You know I really must talk to my brother. He is not the greatest of care-givers for Janie, not like he was, and he's even spoken about the possibility of giving Patch away if Terri decides to move in with him. Patch and Terri don't like each other."

"No that must not happen. Janie adores Patch and I think when she sits whispering to Patch she's talking to him about her mother."

"God you and I do think alike," Jennifer said and sighed and said she wished Peter also thought like them over Janie and Patch.

"Please try to persuade Peter not to separate those two."

"Oh yes, I will. You have motivated me to do that."

During that week Chase took the visitors to have early dinner with Claire and Tony, Claire having expressed a wish to meet Janie and Chase knew Tony was taking an interest as well.

Two days after arriving home Jennifer called Chase to advise the hiking trip had ended in disaster, being abandoned after two days when they'd both being stung by bees. Terri had been badly swollen and required medical treatment and she'd gone off saying she never wished to see Peter again and Peter had become depressed.

"I now have Chase and Patch staying with me and they have settled in well. It was Peter's idea. I had told Janie to say we had spent a week in Clayton City and I asked her not to mention you because her father might not like that. She appeared to understand and was very good about it but as soon as she arrived here she went on and on about you and asked did I think you'd ever marry her father."

"Heaven forbid... oh I'm sorry Jennifer. He's your brother."

Jennifer laughed and said there was no need to apologize. "He'll always be my brother but that doesn't mean I have to really like him."

* * *

The local newspaper published an almost rave review about the opening night performance of 'Debbie Jakes Gets Married', hailing Chase's performance as the scatty Debbie as 'utterly charming and convincing' and then 'ranking as one of the top performances even seen on stage at The Founders Theater.'

The demand for tickets soared and the six-night season was extended to 10 nights plus a rare Saturday matinee.

During that frantically busy time for Chase, she had a mid-morning visit from co-educational Arden College's vice-president for academic affairs Shane Elliot and its professor of directing, Kathy Fowler.

After the introductions and Chase poured coffee, Kathy said they'd really enjoyed the opening night of the current play and that was a real credit to Chase.

"Thanks on behalf of the team and I know you'll appreciate we are here to talk to you about directing."

"Yes of course."

"You appeared to put every last ounce into your acting," said Shane. "And it seems unbelievable you managed to find the energy and concentration to also direct the production."

"Thank you Shane. It really was an enjoyable production to be involved in and you were seeing the results of that delight of actors playing in a show they believed in."

"Well yes but even I know some actors have to be led into self-belief," Kathy said dryly.

And then adopting a seductive tone she said, "Chase we are here to invite you and persuade you to lead our theater workshop for our new intake of freshmen who will study theater/drama as a major. It runs for three days from the second Wednesday in September."

Chase felt excitement welling. "Well thank you for the invitation. I would point out that I am very friendly with Claire Thomas-Campbell, probably known to you simply as Claire Campbell, who some years ago was my influential mentor. In fact I live in Claire and Tony Campbell's home."

"Yes we are aware of that," Shane said. "Claire is our advisory drama consultant and it was she who nominated you and Claire also divulge the former working relationship and now friendly relationship she has with you."

"Claire had advised me of the possibility of this approach," Chase said. "I can advise I am free on that Wednesday to Friday and my contract with this theater allows me to participate in community activity connected with drama. Therefore with delight I accept your invitation and no fee will be required because that work falls directly within the parameters of this theater's outreach program."

Shane and Kathy said they were delighted Chase had accepted and Claire arranged to brief Chase over lunch in ten days' time.

The weekend after the run of 'Debbie Jakes Gets Married' ended, Chase stayed the weekend with Jennifer and Janie and Jennifer's husband David, head radiologist at a large private hospital

That went really well Janie and Patch were all over her when she arrived. David was charming and Jennifer clearly was delighted to see Chase again. On Saturday afternoon when Janie was at a friend's birthday party Jennifer took Chase to visit Janie's father.

Chase was shocked to find how gaunt and lined Peter Barrett had become although he appeared to be happy. He had a 22-year old slut living with him who appeared poorly education and after the visitors settled Peter told her to go out into the garden and pick beans.

"I wasn't aware you two knew each other," Peter said, not offering refreshments.

"Oh yes, I met Chase just before she left here and we've remained in contact. She called periodically to find out how Janie and Patch were and this is the first time Chase has visited me since Janie and Patch have been staying with David and me."

Chase thought that was true. She was surprised Peter hadn't asked how did they meet or why had Chase been enquiring about Janie.

Jennifer looked at Chase who took the hint. They had not discussed tactics other than they ought to discuss Janie's future welfare with her father.

"Yes Peter. I have developed a motherly attachment for Janie. It came from making that film with her I guess. I'm a little concerned about her future welfare. David and Jennifer had two children who are mostly away at boarding school but there's quite an age gap between those children and Janie."

"And you think I'm unaware of that?"

That was said a little aggressively but at least Peter was talking to her about Janie and Chase told herself to remain calm.

"I had no reason to think you wouldn't be aware about that. I had been thinking David and Jennifer had done their time caring for fully dependent children and I thought I'd really like to care for Janie during the remainder of her educational years."

"So this is what this is about. You are here to discuss Janie?"

"Yes."

"And you are thinking you'd like to adopt Janie?"

"That possibility had occurred to me. She and I had developed a bond rather like mother and daughter and my thinking it could easily develop again if close contact resumed."

"Are you married?"

"No."

"Are you living with a guy?"

"No."

"Then how the hell do you think the authorities would consent to you adopting my daughter?"

"It is not important to me to adopt although quite a large number of children, especially older children, are legally adopted by single adults whose character and lifestyle gain approval."

"Is that so?"

"As an alternative to legal adoption I would accept being authorized to care for Janie as an approved foster parent. My only wish is to have her growing up in her formative years under motherly love."

"I suppose you have heard Janie and I began to fight a lot particularly over that damn dog of hers that was her mother's."

"No I had not heard about that and that's the truth."

They talked on, Peter mostly listening and frowning and smiled triumphantly when Chase conceded the authorities would probably not approve of her being a suitable single parent who was working in theater with a fairly heavy evening commitment.

But Chase told him about her prospect of gaining a position of heading the directing department at a college and she imagined the authorities would have no objection of that as a career because it was mostly day work.

Peter stood and waited and the women stood realizing he wanted them to leave.

On the front porch Peter kissed his sister and ignored Chase who said goodbye. As they reach the front gate he called, "I'll consider having you care fully for Janie if you win that college job. You being in a teaching environment could be beneficial to Janie because I'm sure she's very clever academically."

"Thank you Peter," Chase said, almost choking in joy.

"Omigod," Jennifer breathed, as they walked to the SUV. "You may have struck a home run."

* * *

Three days after her return to Clayton, Chase met Kathy Fowler for lunch to discuss the theater workshop. Kathy was surprised that Chase had for some years occasionally presented similar workshops at high schools, colleges and to amateur theater groups.

She said thoughtfully, "You could a top prospect for my position when I retire in mid-December."

"So you think so?" Chase said casually.

Kathy looked at Chase sharply. "Have you been thinking about it?"

Chase held out her hands submissively and smiled. "I won't lie to you. Claire and I have discussed it. Um how could I increase my prospects of gaining traction?"

"Gaining traction? Oh yes, well conducting this workshop will do you no harm. Look why don't you talk to our VP for academic affairs Shane Elliot. You've met him and I know from what he said you impressed him, although I think that meant as a woman. I suggest you discuss this matter with him."

"But what if he's on the selection panel?"

"He won't be and neither will Claire be on the panel that will be chaired by Professor Hampton, head of our department. The position will be advertised very shortly because I retire in mid-December."

Chase called Shane Elliot next day and he greeted her warmly and congratulated her for staging and acting in one of the Founders Theater's most successful productions ever. He'd said the write-ups in the local newspaper had been very complimentary about her and the theater.

"Thanks Shane. Look I have a reason for establishing a close regular link with Arden to raise my profile."

Shane said the person to discuss that with if it meant theater was Kathy.

"Um yes, possibly."

He paused and then said, "Will you be applying for Kathy's position when it's advertised?"

"Um yes. Is it ethical for me to discuss this with you?"

"I don't see why not. My involvement in selections is confined to professors and senior admin people."

"Well perhaps we could meet at your convenience and discuss this?"

She imagined the leer and heard him say, "Lunch Saturday or perhaps dinner?"

"I would prefer dinner but what about Mrs Elliot?"

He sighed and said he ended four years of being trapped in marital hell two years ago.

Chase giggled and then said, "Oh god, I apologize. You just made it sound so funny but I guess it was anything but funny."

"That's right and there's no need to apologize. Even I can laugh about it now, er after a few drinks. Are you a good cook?"

"I believe so."

"Then why not come to my apartment Saturday and cook my favorite meal, Chicken Maryland with thin sliced vegetables lightly braised in butter and potatoes boiled in mint followed by apple pie?"

"And I'll be judged against your mother's best cooking?"

"What, no. Oh I see what you mean, yes. That is very astute of you."

Chase laughed. "Well I like your innocence in not having thought that, but cooking nearly as good as you mother would be good enough for me."

They made the arrangements and Shane said he'd organize everything.

"I've been in my apartment for neigh on two years and have never had a decent meal in it. Mom and dad live in Florida and expect me to visit them and not the reverse."

Chase looked up Shane's profile on the Arden website and to be expected he had a PhD and then she found what she was looking for, he was 41, ten years her senior. She sighed. She read through his academic record that had extended up from a BA in public administration and then into science and his last academic post in the teaching field had been as a professor of computer science. Obviously a bright boy, she thought. She found no reference to his cooking skills, or lack of them.

* * *

Preparing for her date on Saturday night, Chase wondered about just wearing a sheath dress and shoes and then thought a first-date guy would be expecting to undo a bra and then slide his hands down stockings.

Then she hesitated and wondered whether Shane, being a senior in college admin, would go for sex on a first date. She better dress formally.

But no that would be an overkill and was this really a date? She sat confused.

Chase arrived at the apartment with her hair in a ponytail and wearing lingerie, jeans, sandals and a top, little make-up, a pendant and stud earrings. She regarded this as the girl-next-door look... safely conservative, likely to pass scrutiny of critical parents and siblings. Very safe in fact.

Shane let her into the apartment with a cheery welcome and at the door he greeted her very warmly and leant and kissed her conservatively, establishing this was a friendly visit.

Chase knew she'd dressed exactly right for the occasion because he was wearing an old college sweater, jeans and sneakers without socks and, of course, no make-up she joked to herself. Yes truly an initial meeting of very new pals. She knew then if she wanted sex she'd have to go to one of her other male friends and they were plentiful. It appeared half the males associated with the theater had thoughts about taking her into the props storage room.

An easy conversation began, with Chase sipping wine and putting down her glass to continue preparation of the meal while Shane sat on the other side of the breakfast bar and watched her every move. Chase reaching up into a cupboard when he'd said the salt was stored made sure she pressed her breasts forward when she stretched up as a reminder to her host that she was a woman with rather good physical assets.

The meal was great and she really didn't have to be told it was. Everything had gone perfectly and the ingredients were of highest quality.

"My mom is a great cook but I suspect she'd be stretched to keep up with you."

"Oh," Chase said, fluttering her eyelashes, "a superb compliment. Is the cook to be kissed?"

Shane kissed her, modestly, and said she deserved more than a kiss but didn't elaborate, much to Chase's dismay. She had to guess and so guessed he meant dirty sex but kept that wistful thought to herself.

When Chase left Shane escorted her to her car and kissed her warmly. Well kissed her as Chase thought he'd kiss his mother.

Ah well.

As she prepared to drive off and Shane called they must keep in touch. She hoped he meant a lot of touching.

Two weeks later Shane called to invite her to accompany her to the college president's six-monthly dinner.

"Are you sure this will be in order, with me applying for the vacancy? I saw it advertised this morning and couriered my application that I had prepared."

"Yes it will be in order. In fact it shouldn't harm your prospects at all. Quite the contrary."

Chase interpreted that as meaning she would be doing the right thing.

She then consulted Claire.

"I've not be to a president's dinner but I understand they are quite formal. The men wear tuxedos."

"And the women, black dresses or navy or perhaps dark floral and minimal ornamentation unless it's a tiara or thirty strands of real pearls or a stash of real diamonds."

"Correct dear but remember you will not be expected to conform."

Surprised Chase asked why was that?

"You are professional theater dear and everyone or almost everyone would have seen you on stage recently and will expect you to be outgoing and even flamboyant."

"Flamboyancy at Arden College. Are you quite sure about that Claire?"

"I would not mislead you darling, knowing this is a career-boosting opportunity for you. I'm a professional consultant Chase and it's my job to know these things. Now I must tell you about your entrance and suggest a little poem for you to relate. I'll know some of the women who'll be there and will ask one to suggest you recite some lines while coffee is being poured."

"Are you sure, very sure this is the right thing to do."

"Yes darling. Perform well and you'll be an unforgettable hit, and unforgettable personality. Out of your hearing your fellow diners will be saying, 'Our college needs this woman'."

* * *

Shane was pacing anxiously at the top of the steps of the main entrance to The Great Hall, venue for the dinner. All the other tables had been removed that the sixteen diners would be dwarfed in the middle of the huge room with paintings of past chairmen and college major benefactors hanging on the walls.

His phone went.

"Shane."

"Hi Shane. I'm running a little late. I'll see you inside. Have someone waiting for me and to announce me."

"Is this to make a grand entrance?"

"Yes."

He said, "That's very honest of you but do you think it's wise?"

"I have sought advice."

"Claire?"

Chase giggled and said yes and he said well that was fine. Claire always knew when to do the right thing.

Chase walked up the steps from the cab and a young woman dressed in a black and white serving uniform called, "Mrs Martin."

"Hi. Actually it's Miss. So when we enter could you call in a very loud voice, 'Announcing the arrival of Miss Chase Martin."

"Oooh yes. How exciting. You look gorgeous. I'm Mae Wright and tutor here in American literature from 1910."

"It is lovely meeting you Mae."