Adopting Janie

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Thanks. I saw you play Debbie Jakes. You were simply amazing."

"Thank you. It's time to repeat that line to me."

Conversations ceased as one of the double 12-foot high doors opened and people looking up saw Chase entering and then heard Mae make the announcement.

The president stood and called, "Welcome Miss Martin. I'm your host tonight, Stanfield Robson. You are seated mid-table next to your partner Shane Elliot."

"Thank you sir," Chase called. "I apologize for lateness but making an entrance is professionally ingrained in me."

Everyone laughed and a couple of women even clapped.

Chase looked spectacular, dressed in a shimmering bright red sheath dress that finished well above her knees. He hair was piled high and she wore silver stockings with iridescent green lace tops that finished just below her hem. The matching green shoes had 6-inch heels. She was in full makeup with wore no adornments, not even a ring.

The silence continued until she reached her seat. Shane, already standing, kissed her gently on the lips and seated her and then introduced the nearest people to her while general conversation continued.

"Debbie I was wondering..."

Everyone laughed and the president apologized. "Pardon me I meant Chase. Have you visited this college before?"

"Yes Stanfield. Two weeks ago I began volunteer teaching first-year drama students about what a director does to get the best our of his or her actors. It's part of Founders Theater's outreach programs and will be an eight-week block course conducted each Wednesday afternoon. I work under supervision because my students will be tested later in the year on their directorial knowledge."

"Did you arrange that?"

"No Claire Campbell did. She knows Kathy Fowler well and years ago Claire was my mentor in theater. She still proudly calls me her protégé."

"I see. Well done. Right it is now my pleasant duty to present a toast in the memory of the illustrious founder of this college in 1907, Jonathon Smee Arden."

During the dinner Shane told Chase she'd made a magnificent entrance and looked absolutely lovely.

She was ever so delighted by his obvious sincerity.

Twice during the dinner Chase placed a hand on Shane's thigh and he made no effort to dislodge her hand. She found that encouraging.

When the table had been cleared and everyone waited for coffee and port or other liqueurs to be served, the wife of one of the trustees called to the president, "Stanfield we have in our midst a very, very talented actress who doubtless has the talent to perform for our entertainment briefly. I suggest you invite her to recite a famous speech or something similar."

"Chase would you care to accept my invitation to do that."

"Yes thank you Stanfield. May I remove my shoes and walk on this very solid table."

"Go right ahead."

Chase kicked off her shoes and Shane held out a supporting hand for Chase to climb on to her chair and then on to the table.

Once on the table Chase remembered just how short her dress was but it was too late to turn back. She strode up and down the table reciting the authentic version of 'The Boy Stood on the Burning Deck', completed with hand and body actions and facial expressions.

It was a great little rendition and she received huge applause amid continuing laughter from guests as well as many of the serving and kitchen staff who'd come out to watch.

By the time Shane and Chase had driven off they had received dinner invitations from three people.

"That was a great night, for everyone actually, but especially you," Shane said. "Four of the seven persons to sit on the selection panel for the new head of directing were at that table. When your photo comes up on screen during the selection, those four people will immediately remember you for your entrance at the dinner tonight and your surprising choice of a poem that you executed so brilliantly."

"Thank you. Claire must take credit for that and for rehearsing me."

Chase was disappointed to be taken straight home and although they had a smooching session in the car and Shane had a hand high up on her exposed thigh he made no effort to cup her vulva, leaving Chase to wonder if he were pussy shy. But she preferred the thought he was a guy who worked up slowly.

He went around the car to open her door and they stood and kissed and Chase pressed hard into him and distinctly felt his penis stiffening. She broke about smiling and said, "Until next time" and he said he'd call her tomorrow.

He did call next day with a surprising request.

"You met a retiring trustee Maddie Jameson last night and the chairman Mike Fields. Mike discussed the possible replacement for Maddie today with the president and I've been asked if you would kindly sound out Claire if she would be willing to become Maddie's replacement on the board of trustees. Claire doesn't get paid for her consultancy work so there would be no barrier for her to continue with that voluntary work if she became a trustee."

Claire was flabbergasted to be told of the board's approach via Shane but she was a little hesitant.

"Trustees, who have the ultimate responsibility for the financial, administrative and academic affairs of the college and appoint the president of the college, are normally very wealthy people with a philanthropic tendency and that is a desirable attribute for the college for obvious reasons."

Chase retorted firmly, "Well obviously the chairman and president know that and their interest in you is nevertheless strong."

"Then please tell Shane I'm very interested in receiving a formal invitation to have my name put forward for election. Oh Chase, this has only come about because of you. I am so grateful. A trustee of my old college, I cannot believe it."

"I wasn't aware you graduated from Arden."

"Oh yes and that's why I remain loyal to it."

Although it was now five months since Chase had moved in with Claire and her husband and rarely home son Alan, she and Tony had maintained a rather distant relationship. Initially she'd thought Tony must regard her as being in an unsavory pursuit, meaning professional theater, or even something else, er that she was a whore, but over time Chase had noticed the only person he seem close to was Claire. All of the couple's friends were clearly Claire's friends.

Chase accepted her inability to befriend Tony because she knew she was unlikely to change him and then she realized Alan was exactly like his father, a loner, except Alan was very flamboyant about it. At least she had Claire and now accepted that the woman old enough to be her mom was her best friend ever.

It came as a complete surprise to Chase on the evening after dinner she'd delivered the trustee approach to Claire that Tony invited Chase to accompany him on his after-dinner walk that her termed his 'constitutional' through the nearby wilderness area that contained dirt pathways on which bicycles were prohibited. She almost declined with thanks but as it turned out she was glad she didn't because it became a regular invitation that led Claire to ask, giggling, was there something going on between Chase and Tony.

On that inaugural walk, that Claire explained to Chase later had been the icebreaker with Tony admitting her into his emotionally world of virtual isolation, Tony had said, "Claire regards this approach about becoming a college trustee as one of the greatest things that has happened in her life."

"Well I can understand that. It is an honor and Arden was her college."

"Indeed and I thank you for your major contribution and I believe Claire has already said that to you, a heart-felt acknowledge."

"But Tony, you must understand. I was merely the messenger."

"Claire told me about you naivety in this matter."

"Tony you cheeky asshole," Chase said and immediately regretted saying that, knowing that Tony would be the last person one should speak to like that. But amazingly he smiled and chuckled and said he believed no one in his adult life had ever spoken to him like that.

Chase thought well that was the problem of being an isolationist; no one joked to you or insulted you affectionately.

"Two of Claire's close friends were at that dinner and they reported on your theatrical entrance that surprisingly went down every well even with the older farts."

"Who?"

"It's a mildly derogatory term about stiff-upper lip people she picked when during the two years she spent in England working in theater after graduating."

Chase giggled and good god Tony openly grinned as if pleased with himself.

He continued: "In varying degrees it was obviously everyone there was delighted with you with some even adoring your vitality and courage in risking playing the fool."

"Playing the fool?"

"Well I wasn't there but according to what Claire was told they all had expected you to stand straight and serious and quote from immortal lines from an American playwright. But instead you bounced along the table giving everyone an eyeful of great leg right up to your panties while hilariously quoting a poem that most of them had heard if not memorized during English studies way back during their school years. You displayed yourself as being courageously brazen and extremely talented and those who'd seen you on stage recently could see why you had been so brilliant as Debbie Jakes."

"Didn't Claire tell you she suggested I recite 'The Boy Stood on the Burning Deck'?

"She did but said she had been facetious but then you began running with the suggestion and she became convinced it was the way to go."

"Omigod a headstrong clown who risked bringing down around her ears her hopes of becoming head of directing at Arden. Oh I'm such a stupid bitch."

"Hush dear, don't flagellate yourself unnecessarily. You must understand ordinary people are unable to really rise above the mass because of their ordinariness. It takes people who are driven to become explorers, dare-devils, leaders of men, exhibitionists, standout poets, legislators, actors and no less teachers and heads of departments at colleges who'll become legendary through their unique contributions and their inspirational leadership and fostering of emerging talent."

"God Tony, I've never heard you sound off like this. Um you are walking through the water. Shouldn't we be crossing over this log?"

"Damn. I became carried away."

"I'm glad to hear that Tony from you of all people," Chase said.

"There you go. See what I'm talking about. Who else would dare say that to me apart from Claire?"

"Claire yes but enough of me Tony. You are unique in my life because I simply don't associate with reserved people. You will recall we discussed my desire to become the care-giver to a 7-year old girl whom I suspect would accept me as her foster mother."

"Yes I do, Janie French."

"Jesus you have a great memory. Well I wish to talk to you about her father, telling you everything I know about him and can remember thinking about him because perhaps the time is nearing when I'll need to know how to deal with him tactically."

"I understand. Claire told me he'd issue you with a challenge: win the directing position and Arden and he'll hand over Janie to you."

"I suspect he means he'll consider handing Janie over. Tony my feeling when I meet him about that it will be my one and only chance. I need to know how to play my hand astutely no matter what issues arise. I actually suspect mentally he's already prepared to allow Janie to go to me if that's what she wants and I have explained to him the options range from fosterage, which is the what Janie is in now with her aunt, through to adoption with the variation you explained and this is common law adoption."

"Well start from the beginning again Chase because I'd like to have the total picture in my mind before I attempt to advise you. Expect this to take some time."

CHAPTER 3

Chase realized with the possibility of becoming the accepted caregiver of Janie, whether it was a single parent adoption of just being approved as a foster parent, it would strengthen her case with the authorities if she were in a stable relationship with a male friend.

The question facing her was deciding whether Shane was that person.

God it was so difficult with him. She didn't know if there was prospect of romance. Perhaps he didn't like a woman being that close to him. Omigod what if he didn't like having sex?

She began to panic and her throat tightened when she realized she'd been flitting between men and actually she had no alternative to Shane right now. So instead of going to the café for lunch she took a sandwich and a soda to the nearby park where she watched mothers with very young children at the swings or having lunch on the grass sitting on a rug, just like her mother would have done with her.

Slowly Chase reached the conclusion that Shane could be the guy she needed to have beside her to secure Janie. Being fairly conservative, he was probably working on his friendship with her because he'd already had a failed marriage behind him and still felt hurt about that. Yes, he'd mentioned it just the once, describing it as years of hell. God had he unwisely chosen a money gobbling shrew?

Her next thought gave her quite a shock: What the hell did her think of her?

God sitting beside Shane she'd more than once wished he'd cup her vulva. Was that a proper way to expect a conservative guy to act? Gee he could have forgotten what a pussy was. No now she was being stupid.

Then she made the breakthrough, or she believed she had. Shane was not yet romancing her and thinking seriously about reaching to touch her pussy because he was still in preliminary mode, assessing her suitability for him.

Omigod, he'd seen her prancing along on that tabletop practically showing the entire assembly her pussy! Oh shit.

Chase giggled in embarrassment and then rationalized, well at least he'd seen a side to her she wanted him to see. Is that correct? Yes. It was theatrical, not sluttish.

She felt a lot better and her phone rang.

"Hi its Chase," she said and glancing at the phone saw the caller was HIM.

"Hi, lovely day. What are you doing?"

She thought of saying touching her pussy and thinking of him but instead she was in a park looking at mothers with babies and toddlers.

"Well don't expose too much tit and pussy in that environment."

Chase gawked and looked again at her phone as if unable to believe Shane was the caller.

She giggled to cover her confusion and he laughed as if approving her reaction.

"No I'm usually a good girl."

"Yeah so I've noticed."

What the hell did that mean?

"Instead of our usual Friday night drinks this week we've decided to make it a cocktail hour and invite wives or partners. Are you able to accompany me?"

"What Friday night, this Friday night?"

"Yes in four night's time."

"What should I wear?"

He laughed and said he took that as an acceptance.

"Yes but you must tell me what to wear and how to behave."

"Neat semi-formal and I want you to just be yourself, definitely no airs and graces."

"And not act like a slut?"

"If you are capable of doing that then it will be okay. Generally colleges maintain a liberal environment although not everyone attached to the college is liberal."

"Great that tells me nothing but I guess you have already thought that."

"You are very bright at reading people Chase. I feel I really am getting to know you."

Blood rushed to Chase's head. God he was ready to party!

"Take me back to your apartment afterwards."

"Why would you want to do that Chase?"

"To have sex with you."

"Wow and to think I had that same thought. You are beginning to show your potential Chase. I was under the impression the last person you wish to have sex with was me?"

Chase caught herself, thinking careful how you answer that one darling. It might be a test. "Well in that case your thinking isn't infallible."

He roared in laughter and she knew their relationship had entered a new level.

A happy Chase called Jennifer early that evening who reported everything was going well and Peter had been over for lunch twice and was looking better. They chatted until Jennifer said he's Janie coming from her bath. She'll want to talk to you."

Chase and Janie talked mainly what Janie had been doing and how she was getting on at school and then Janie said she was missing Chase and when would she see her again. "Soon I hope."

Jennifer had heard that and called, "Ask Chase if she'd like to come and stay here with us not this weekend but the last weekend of the month."

Chase told the excited girl yes she would like that and to tell Auntie Jennifer she would email her when she'd arranged her flights.

At the third of her regular Wednesday directorial workshops at the college next day, Chase noticed Kathy in the gallery sitting with some people and she waved and Kathy returned the wave. Chase sucked in breath. God it was probable the interview panel was using this opportunity to conduct a meaningful assessment of her.

She chose Dirk as the director and equally unpromising Cindy as the actress, hoping that Kathy would be briefing their group that Chase was working with the two most undisciplined students in this group.

"Cindy you are to make your entrance as a housewife who's just had a fierce row with her husband and you are to express your anger and frustration. Dirk you are to act as Cindy's coach."

"Aw fair go Miss Martin. Cindy's acting is shit."

"Well then she could probably be equally abusive of you as a director Dirk. I'd like you to think about that. Make your entrance Cindy."

Cindy came in and made a series of appropriate gestures.

"Dirk," Chase called.

"What?"

"Has it occurred to you Cindy's entrance is unsatisfactory?"

"Not it looked convincing enough."

"Dirk think carefully."

He rubbed his nuts and said, "Do it again Cindy and make sure you project more to the audience."

"Dirk that's not good enough."

"Miss Martin, I can't get blood out of a stone."

"You are a first year drama student Dirk and I'm not expecting a dynamic performance from you at this point. But Dirk are we really presenting mime theater?"

"Oh shit, yeah."

"Tidy up your language please Dirk. We maintain professional standards here. What do you do now?"

"Tell Cindy to sharpen up her act and present dialogue."

"Excellent and I hope all of you other students noticed that serious omission. We are not playing here; we are attempting to replicate realistic theater rehearsals. Now listen to how well Dirk can persuade his lead actress Cindy to rehearse with professional aplomb."

Dirk made quite a good job at explaining his requirements to Cindy who was impatiently taping a foot.

About half an hour later when Chase remember she had a critical audience and looked up at the gallery she saw that Kathy and her group had gone but other drama students had come in and were watching and she saw other drama tutors and support staff were observing. She wasn't worried, knowing it was going very well.

When her session ended someone from the gallery called, "Miss Martin, we've heard about your excellent rendition of 'The Boy Stood on the Burning Deck' at the president's dinner recently. Could you do it for us?"

"Well give me a minute, I'll grab something from wardrobe and put on makeup. You may as well get a proper performance."

All lectures had finished for the day and when Chase returned to the stage she was staggered to find the 480-seat theater was over-flowing with students even lining three sides of the stage up to four deep.

Chase sucked in breath. Oh god, she was legendary already, er in a minor way, as she had not yet secured the position at Arden.

The crowd cheered when she appeared in little white shorts, an inadequate white boob tube and a French sailor's white hat with red pompom.