Agents and Angels Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

After a few moments of cuddling, Paulina said "I hate to bring this up now, but I think I have to... what happens if some reporter asks about Tasha?"

"You mean if they ask who her daddy is?" Laura said.

"More like they say "Tasha is Don Troy's baby. What does that make you? And him? And his wife?"

"It's none of their business." said Laura, asperity creeping into her voice.

"Actually, honey," I said, "it's a legitimate point. The Press would love to make some kind of moral issue out of it. And they'll be as relentless upon you as they will Paulina and me."

"I don't give a shit." Laura said. "Like I said, our private lives are none of their business, especially those of us not running for anything."

There was another period of silence, this time much more awkward. Then I said "I can tell you this: if anyone says shit, I will proudly stand up and claim her as my child, no matter the consequences. It will never... ever... be said that I denied my daughter..."

Part 22 - Angels Awarded

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Fox Two News!" shouted the lovely redheaded reporterette at 7:00am, Tuesday, March 13th, from the front portico of City Hall (on top of the steps, in front of the front doors). "Fox Two News has new and shocking polling concerning the local races!"

"Public Policy Polling over the weekend has found that the Mayor's race may be tightening up." said Bettina. "Sheriff Daniel Allgood's favorables have dropped and is unfavorables have risen, and experts say this may be due to the ads run by Della Harlow in her quest to be our next Sheriff. Town Assemblyman Eldrick X. Weaver has announced he's forming an exploratory committee to run for Mayor, and sources tell Fox Two News that he is being encouraged to run by legendary rapper T-Square." Weaver was black, so if he ran, he'd have the black vote, I surmised (rather easily, I might add).

"But the big news," said Bettina, "is the Sheriff's race. Former Deputy Police Chief Della Harlow has surged to a huge lead against a field of candidates on the Democrat side, and in a non-partisan race would get 52% of the vote against the field! In a one-on-one race against Commander Donald Troy, however, she would be behind 54-46%. Experts believe her ads are gaining her name recognition, but some say her attacks on Commander Donald Troy could backfire, as Commander Troy, while controversial, is well-respected in this Town & County..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Mister Speaker!" shouted the Sergeant-At-Arms of the State House, "Police Captains Teresa Croyle, Tanya Perlman, and Cindy Ross!"

The Legislators of this joint session of the Legislature stood as one and applauded as Teresa, then Tanya, then Cindy walked single-file down the aisle towards the front of the State House Chamber. Governor Valnius Jared was waiting for them behind the lectern, and behind him was Speaker of the State House John Paul Newton (no relation to Julie and Yvonne Newton) and Lieutenant Governor Graham Collins, who looked very dour.

To the Governor's right were TCPD Chief Emeritus Griswold and Commander Donald Troy, both of us in semi-formal uniforms (full ribbons) and Medals of Valor around our necks. Teresa and Cindy were in formal uniforms: medals on their uniform jackets, MOVs around their necks. Teresa was wearing a skirt and navy blue patent leather high heel pumps, while Cindy was wearing pants and black patent leather shoes that male Police Officers wear with their uniforms. Tanya was wearing an SBI jacket and navy blue pants and flat heel black shoes.

My Angels sat down beside me, and the Legislators sat down as the Governor began speaking to the Joint Session as well as the Citizens of the State that were watching the televised broadcast on KSTD, KXTC, and Public Television. Almost everyone was there: Laura and Dr. Wellman were in the gallery, as was Todd Burke and Callie Carrington. And so was FBI Team Lazarus, with Sandra Speer holding baby Greta, and Jack Muscone's daughter Tiffany holding little Pete Feeley.

Only State Senator Maxine Watts was not there. She'd tried to organize a boycott of the event, to protest the Governor's existence, which she called 'racism' and 'misogyny'. Even Lt. Governor Collins was not stupid enough to go along with that, and the horrific optics of it.

"Ladies and gentlemen," said the Governor, "I am honored to be here today to present three very deserving Law Enforcement Officers our State's highest awards. First, I'll ask Captain Cindy Ross of the Town & County Police Force to come forward."

As Cindy came forward, the Governor pulled something out from behind the podium behind which he was speaking. "This," he said, as he held up the object, "is the armor protection Captain Ross was wearing when two despicable thugs attempted to kill me, and did kill a young woman in the room. As you can see, this is the bullet that was lodged in her armor, which saved her from being wounded or worse. It's armor protection like for which Law Enforcement Bill provides funds, and has allowed Captain Ross to stand unharmed before you today. Commander Troy, would you please come forward to assist with the award?"

When we arrived in Midtown, we'd gone to the Governor's office, and I'd tried to not be any part of this. I wanted this to be my Angels's' day. I lost. Chief Griswold was the culprit. We had a one-way conversation, which went: "Don, those ladies adore you. They worship you. There is nothing that would mean as much to them as for you to be the one to pin these awards on them."

So here I was, coming forward, Chief Griswold playfully pushing me in the back to emphasize the point. As the Clerk of the State House read the proclamation, describing Cindy's heroism in saving the Governor's life, I pinned the ribbon for the State Citation of Honor upon Cindy's jacket, which added to her previously awarded State Citation of Merit. (Author's note: 'Environmental Hazards'.) I shook her hand and gave her a 'man hug', which I'd forewarned her and the others I'd be doing.

"Next," said the Governor, as Tanya wheeled herself forward and next to Cindy, "Captain Tanya Perlman, Director of our State Crime Labs, is the first recipient of the new Citation of Valor, for her role in securing the defeat of the serial killer Red Brooke." The Clerk read the proclamation as I pinned the ribbon on Tanya's uniform jacket. I shook her hand and gave her a hug, whispering "It doesn't have a red ribbon, but it's the same thing." Tanya nodded, trying to not get emotional.

"And last, but certainly not least," said the Governor, "we all saw on television the Christmas miracle that occurred just weeks ago. Captain Teresa Croyle's courage is an example we should all look up to, no matter what our endeavors in Life are. And so I am awarding the first Governor's Gold Medal to TCPD Captain Teresa Croyle." I pinned the medal, which was a round gold medal hanging from a drape of the University's blue color, onto Teresa's uniform, next to her Purple Order medal with the silver oak leaf cluster.

Then I got my redheaded rear end off to the side as fast as I could, as the Legislature rose to its collective feet and delivered an ovation of well-deserved, thunderous applause to my Angels. They endured it for a long moment, then Teresa grabbed Tanya's hand and raised it up, followed by Cindy doing the same for Tanya's other hand, making sure Tanya understood that she was one of my three Angels... and that they were the best team on Earth...

Part 23 - Epilogue - A Plan Comes Together

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Fox Two News!" said the lovely redheaded MILF reporterette from the steps of City Hall at 7:00am, Thursday, March 15th, the Ides of March. "Governor Val Jared has come under fire again, this time for politicizing an awards ceremony before the State Legislature!"

Bettina: "During the presentation, which honored TCPD Captains Cindy Ross and Teresa Croyle, and retired TCPD Officer and SBI Captain Tanya Perlman, Governor Jared made a point to show the Legislature the armor protection that Captain Ross was wearing when she tackled the Governor and saved his life at the Women's Symposium in Nextdoor County some days ago, and to tell the Legislature that money for vests such as that came from the Law Enforcement Bill that is mired in the Legislature."

"Critics attacked the Governor," said Bettina, "saying that an awards ceremony was the wrong time and place to make such a political statement, and that it detracted from the recipients of the awards being rightfully honored. State Senator Richard Langdon, a Democrat from Madison County, and Republican State Senator Cain Mitchell issued a joint statement condemning Jared, and demanding that the Governor resign."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Holy cow, Commander!" exclaimed Sergeant Rudistan as I came into MCD, "are you trying to out-G.Q. Detective Washington?" Everyone laughed. I was wearing a civilian gray suit, with white shirt and a silver gray tie.

"No one can out-G.Q. Theo." I said, "except possibly Martin Nash." Theo grinned his movie-star-handsome grin.

Then Rudistan said "Ma'am, whoever you are, I know you look like Captain Ross, but you're wearing a dress, so you can't be her. You'll have to get your coffee at Starbucks." More laughter. Cindy was indeed wearing civilian clothes, a dark blue jacket and skirt, grayish-blue pullover blouse, and high heel pumps which shaped her very toned but very nice legs very well.

Then Teresa came in, also in civilian clothes, and virtually identical to Cindy's. "What is this?" asked Joanne. "You all got interviews today? You think Harlow is going to win the Sheriff's race?"

"Here's another commercial now." said Teddy Parker. We all watched.

"John Hardwood, found dead in a burned out building." said the announcer, a woman with a severe voice. "Thomas P. Cook, still missing. These two men are accused of attacking Commander Troy's family; even so, 'Justice For All' means for everyone. What happened to Hardwood and Cook? Why didn't they get their day in Court?" The video had shown some of the Ward Harvester warehouse, and the 'ring of fire' pallets of ammonium nitrate, but made sure to not show Carole.

"As Sheriff, Della Harlow will ensure that the Town & County Police respect our Citizens and the Law." continued the announcer. "Police brutality will not be tolerated. Women and minorities will be given equal opportunity for advancement, and racism within the Police Force will be expunged. And crowbars as Police weapons will end." The commercial ended with the 'I approved this message' boilerplate.

Everyone in the room was stunned. Even Rudistan was speechless, and looked angry. Everyone except Your Iron Crowbar. I was standing there, smiling.

"To answer your question, Detective Warner," I said, "Ms. Harlow's hopes to become Sheriff... end today. And that is why we're dressed up the way we are..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

As I always did on March 15th, I reflected on this day a few years ago, where I'd had to kill someone who was about to shoot me in the back. I'd killed others since, and had helped others along, such as Westboro and Hardwood. Taking a human life was no small thing, no matter how necessary or justified, I reminded myself as I looked out the window of my office. And if it ever becomes easy, I acknowledged to my own soul, then it would be time to give up my badge and find something else to do...

When I turned back around and looked up, Cindy and Teresa were sitting in the hot chairs. "You okay, sir?" asked Cindy.

"Yes." I said. "Are you ladies ready for the press conference?" Both women grinned.

"I gotta admit," said Teresa, "you outdid yourself on this one."

"I want to know how you did it." said Cindy.

I just smiled. "Okay, Angels, we have a Police Department to run. Let's get to it..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

City Hall, 12:00 high noon, Wednesday, March 14th. The Press was filming the press conference about to happen, and there was a surprisingly large crowd of spectators. To one side on the portico were Sheriff Daniel Allgood, Police Chief Moynahan Fire Chief Quinlin, Fire Chief Emeritus Gillem, all in civilian clothes. Joining them were Town & County Council Members John Colby, Dagmar Schoen, J.P. Goldman, Edward R. Steele, and Ian McGhillie. Tanya Perlman and Todd Burke were also with them.

Four people came out of City Hall's front doors and stood at the top of the steps, flanking the podium stacked with microphones: Myself, Cindy Ross, Teresa Croyle, and Fire Lieutenant Roy Easley, who was also in a civilian suit and tie. And, as permitted, we were all wearing our Medals of Valor.

I stepped up the the podium, red crowbar in hand, hearing reporters whisper "Is he going to do it? Is he going to run for Sheriff?"

"Ladies and Gentlemen!" I said loudly, "it is my honor to introduce to you... your next Sheriff!" We all turned to the front doors as one of them opened...

... and out walked Police Chief Emeritus Antonio Griswold.

The spectators burst out in a round of applause as Chief Griswold came up to it. "Thank you, Commander. Yes, it's true. I've spent my life in this Town and this County, serving you as part of our great Police Force. And I have realized that I am being called to continue to serve, and to help our Police, Fire Department, and Public Health Department... as your next Sheriff. I look forward to serving again with these great Police Officers and Firefighters and their leadership, and working with Mayor-to-be Allgood and the Town & County Council..."

I love it when a plan come together, I thought to myself. As the Chief spoke and the crowd applauded, I thought of that night in the Chief's back yard, when I told him that he owed me one after his bad plan regarding the Luskin case (Author's note: 'Falsely Accused'), and that he would repay me... by running for and becoming Sheriff.

It had not hurt my plan when I and others noticed that he was bored with retirement, and when his wife had confided to us that 'I have to kick him out of the house to clean up and vacuum!'. I knew that retirement was not what the Griswolds needed. And most importantly, I knew I could trust this man to do right by the Public Safety Department... and by me.

"And I will not be taking any money in campaign contributions!" said Griswold. "This is an election about you, the Citizens of this County, not about special interest groups and raising money to run ads that are nothing more than smears and demagoguery of the finest Police Force in the world! Just look at these people here with me. Men and women of courage, of valor, of the highest integrity! I will be proud to serve for and with them, and their fellow public servants!"

As I scanned the crowd, I noticed someone standing by the statue of President Thomas Jefferson. It was Della Harlow. The look on her face was of an ugliness that I had rarely seen before... almost as ugly as Red Brooke's countenance of hate. Then she realized that I was looking right at her, and she scurried away.

It was 'Game On'.

Finis.