An Angel's Fix Pt. 09

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
photodad
photodad
492 Followers

Ashley stated simply, "I'll be ready for one once all this is approved and paid for."

Once home, Jasmine played the final cut for Joe, Jill, Cindy, and Doug. They all gawked at Ashley after the last song ended. Jill found her words first. "Are you SURE you want to give this to THIS project? I mean, the trial audience walked out of the first screenings, for Christ's sake!"

One of Ashley's eyebrows lowered in a fret. "I've seen their trailer. This music matches the film, I'm sure of it... Well, mostly. We'll see what they think."

Joe came up behind Ashley and wrapped his arms around her tummy. "I think Jill's questioning whether the film will match the music. Quality-wise. Every song, and I mean EVERY song, that just played would kick the current Top 10's ass."

Ashley looked around the room, and every head was nodding. Cindy was crying, the belly bump causing a flood of hormones that made the normally-reserved woman now wear her emotions on her sleeve. This one looked like a happy cry. "Thanks, y'all. Yeah, I want to do this. There's this feeling that this is going to be the key to my career. Good or bad, this will tell me which way it's meant to go."

Jon flew down the next day, after Kim insisted that he needed to hear what his investment could do. Ashley thanked him for the studio rental money, and he handed Jasmine an over-generous check for her work in the studio. Jasmine thanked him enthusiastically, inwardly snickering at her new definition of 'friend with benefits.' She played the soundtrack for him, and he voiced compliments of elation and wonder. After, he and Jill worked on writing the proposal. Jon watched Jasmine send the package over the file-sharing service she used, then took them out to dinner.

The response came back at noon the next day with mixed results. "Good thing you lowered the sample rate before you sent it," Jon told Jasmine. He was referring to a trick she had performed to minimize the file size. It would play well over decent computer speakers, but was missing the full range of levels that would be required of a digital movie theater. "I'd hate to think a studio would steal music, but this is lowball enough that it could have been a possibility."

The response was that the music was exactly what the project music supervisor was looking for, but the requested amount was unobtainable. They'd already spent most of their soundtrack budget on the failed pieces. The counter offer was only $30,000. The email closed by heaping large amounts of praise on what was submitted, and regret that payment could not be more.

"That's like a third of what I could get for one song in a movie," he said. "I could see this amount if this was for a video game, but not a full-length film score. Ashley, I suggest you take the contest prize for Phoenix, and withdraw the rest."

"You're a big name. Of course you'd expect to see more," she said. "Whereas I'm still mostly unknown. But, I want to do this. I believe this movie will be a huge success. It's like Elysium met Titan A.E. with a couple of World of Warcraft races sprinkled in. This is the movie geeks like me have been wanting...more like lusting after. Star Wars, Star Trek, and the Marvel movies give sips, but we leave with a touch of disappointment. This is going to be different. I can feel it."

Jill had an idea and pitched it. Jon agreed it was worth a try, if Ashley was set on this project. Their final proposal demanded the entire remainder of the music budget, including the music track production budget, since it was felt Jasmine had completed a finished product. There was a reminder that Ashley had timed all the pieces exactly to their specifications, so no further work was necessary, aside from synchronizing it to the movie. Knowing the screenings foundered with the first score, bonuses were built in that were tied to performance benchmarks. Those marks seemed outlandish, and Jon especially doubted the $750,000 bonus for a number 1 movie debut would be paid. The biggest potential stumbling block of the proposal was that all rights to the soundtrack release would be retained by Jon. That would give him control over everything made off the single releases, as well as the soundtrack itself, should the 'nerd' population be as eager as Ashley was expecting.

Jon made a mini-vacation of the visit, staying with Kim in her room through the weekend. His jaw dropped when the proposal was accepted in whole on Monday. He and Ashley signed the contract, and Jasmine stuffed into the FedEx box with it another thumb drive that contained a copy of the master files for the final version of music. A few days later, the band got together for a day at the beach, a day made a bit happier by the few thousand Kim had just paid each of them -- their shares of the contract payment. Shortly before they were to return to Tallahassee for the 2nd summer session, an email to Ashley seemed to promise that her hunch was right. The movie's soundtrack had been synched to her music, and the newest trial showing yielded far better results. The audience's answer to what they liked the most was overwhelmingly the music.

Ashley and Kim had a business lunch before Ashley left to figure out what was next for Kim. Ashley made it known that she was happy with Kim's ability, and wanted to know what Kim planned to do. Kim loved what she was doing now, it was a dream job working for a dream employer. Ashley nodded and said it was Kim's choice, but if she planned on staying with Ashley, further courses were unnecessary. Kim originally had wanted to move back with them at this stage, having obtained an AA with good marks would allow her to attend FSU now, but life threw a bit of a curve ball in the form of Jon. She openly discussed what was on her mind with Ashley, and through the conversation, she decided to stay with Cindy and Doug at the house. Ashley agreed that Cindy would welcome some extra help getting ready for the baby.

Ashley picked up 2 more courses, finishing her liberal arts requirement, and thinking of getting ahead to allow either an early finish, or easy senior year. There was a two week break before fall semester. The movie was now titled Phoenix, a change producers said was more in line with what the movie was about. Jasmine had all but bared her teeth when she heard, upset more that they were taking their cue from Ashley's feature song without further compensation, than at having to redo the poster artwork. She was paid for the hour it took her to do that, after all. Thank God for Photoshop and its layers technology. Ashley shrugged the name change off, taking it as a compliment. Phoenix had been pushed back mostly for the delay in working out the soundtrack, but the new date was also a calculated strategy to coincide with the start of most high schools. The theory was that students would talk about the release, and peer pressure would get groups forming to see the film. Trailers were being posted on YouTube, shared on Facebook, and discussed on Twitter. Critics who had been invited for previews were lukewarm, calling it "empty entertainment," but hinted that the score was the saving grace of the film. Ashley being songwriter and performer, Jasmine being music producer, and Jon being essentially Ashley's label, were invited to the red carpet preview in New York.

Even Ashley was surprised by the buzz back at school. The whole campus seemed to be talking about the release of Phoenix the next week. She was even asked to play a song from it when she toyed around in the amphitheater. The figures from the opening weekend were impressive for not being a summer release, and the largest bonus ended up getting paid out. Soon, requests were reaching her and Jon for the release of Soar. The song was released as a digital single on the music supersites the Tuesday before the second week, renewing the demand for tickets at the box office.

The movie indeed turned out to be the break Ashley was hoping for, gaining her recognition across the country. Interviews were conducted over her cell phone, and pictures of her and Joe on the red carpet in New York were widely distributed. The university events office asked her to perform at the opening football block party. "I'm ready for that drink now," she triumphantly told Jasmine after finishing that phone call.

"Well, you did turn 21 today," Jasmine offered.

With all the hubbub, Ashley had forgotten her own birthday. "You set up the block party, didn't you?" she accused.

Jasmine tapped her tablet interface and put down the stylus. "No, and neither did Joe nor anyone else, before you start. This is all you. Now go call Kim and Reena to let them know."

Joe's world had picked up the pace, as well. In addition to traveling with Ashley, Kim and Jasmine to New York for the debut, he had to make a trip to Colorado. It was a quick shot there and back to nominate Commander Roberts as a replacement for the retiring military liaison. The meeting was an attempt to overcome claims of nepotism, since Joe felt Ashley's dad was a good match for the work. The meeting was a success. The two-a-days in Tallahassee were grueling in the high heat and humidity. The competition was fierce, and Joe stayed after most practices to work on timing with a few eager receivers. Ashley seemed a distant distraction with their schedules continuously filled up by their own separate ambitions, not that he wanted things to be that way. Many nights he tried to come up with something that could change so they could get lost in each other again, but he enjoyed the challenge of playing, she enjoyed her music, and they both enjoyed seeing each other happy.

Only a week to go before the opening game, and a decision still was not made for the starting spot. When asked about it by reporters, the coach said they would try someone and if things didn't go well, they weren't afraid to pull him and try someone else. The first game was at home, and was also the one Ashley was scheduled to perform at the block party. Kim posted tidbits and reminders a couple of times a day through Ashley's Facebook and Twitter accounts. Ashley chatted with Reena on Monday to square things away, and then surprised everyone by tweeting herself the announcement that she would do a free jam session with Trail Springs at the amphitheater Thursday afternoon. Many were surprised to find out Trail Springs was playing for her now, and her own star was rising quickly, so the students were excited about the treat.

Reena and the band met her after class that afternoon, and there were already over a hundred people milling around the amphitheater. The former Trail Springs members were mobbed with autograph requests, and the crowd continued to expand. A couple of frowning campus officers approached Ashley saying that an organized assembly required a permit from the university. She convinced them to write her a ticket, and she'd pay the fine to the university tomorrow. Then she asked if any of their friends were off-duty and would like some extra cash to help make sure things didn't get out of hand. Ashley didn't feel it was needed, but it did make the officials more comfortable in not making her disband the crowd.

Her heart jumped when her phone rang and displayed that one of Joe's coaches was calling. Practice was going on now, and a fear that something happened crashed into her mind. But the call was good news, so she slung her guitar over her shoulder and began thanking the crowd for turning out. Her first announcement was that she was cited for not obtaining an assembly permit. They could play, but she warned against any rowdiness, as it would result in her shutting this freebie down immediately. She jokingly said that this jam session was shared for free, but if anyone wanted to contribute toward the $250 fine, offers wouldn't be turned down. Next was a shameless advert for the block party the next night. Ashley said the $5 admission to see the concert was worth it, especially now, since the coaches were going to let her announce the starter selection. Someone called out the question, and she answered honestly she didn't know who it was and wouldn't until tomorrow afternoon. She looked at Paul in a signal, and he started rapping a rhythm on her guitar case, as the drums would have been too much to walk over to this site.

Ashley and her band entertained the crowd with the informal session, mixing in pieces from Trail Springs, the movie, some cover stuff, and taking shouted requests. Some of the amusement was in the form of light banter between the band members.

"You squeaked your violin," Mike chided during one of the exchanges after they had finished one of Trail Springs' hits.

"I did not," Ashley cocked her chin up in defiance.

The audience chuckled.

"Yeah, you kinda did," affirmed Reena, accompanied by Jim and Paul nodding with grins.

"Well, if I did squeak, and I'm not saying I did -- it was an artist's discretion. Not an accident," Ashley said with exaggerated mock pride to great effect.

An advance team from ESPN was walking the campus for "fluff" shots (short clips to fill in between commercials and broadcast) and were drawn by the large crowd. They set up and recorded the last half of the mini concert.

Early the next afternoon, the coach called her, first warning her to put on a poker face. Ashley affected the instructed neutral look, and Jill walked beside her toward their last classes, none the wiser. "Who was that?" Jill asked.

"Coach Barry," Ashley answered plainly. "Letting me know who's starting so I can announce it tonight."

"Not Joe, huh?"

"I didn't say that."

"So it is Joe."

"I didn't say that, either." Ashley allowed a coy grin.

Jill texted Joe that the verdict was in, but Ashley wasn't letting on who won. Ashley's phone blew up with Joe and Jasmine pestering her until it finally went quiet when he started practice and Jasmine entered class. Ashley's advanced vocal class ended and she met Jill to drive her back to the penthouse. Reena was there with the band, munching on some cut veggies. She asked Ashley if there was good news today, clearly hinting she wanted to know about the decision. Ashley popped a celery stick into her mouth and grinned when she said she got an "A" on her first quiz of the year. Jasmine had arrived in time to hear the answer, and all groaned when Ashley wouldn't reveal what she knew.

Jasmine and Ashley worked together to get dinner made while Joe came home and went straight for the shower. He returned downstairs and hugged Ashley from behind while she stirred a pot.

"Hmm, someone wants something," she smirked when he kissed her neck.

"I can't love you without you accusing me?" He sounded hurt, but there was guilt, too.

"Well..." she sighed. Ashley wondered how they could get back to being the cute 'handsy' couple without it feeling baited after spending the last two years almost indifferent to each other outside of bed.

At first it was funny when everyone tried to trip her up at dinner, and Joe was playing the cute kid at Christmas. But, it wore on her and she finally barked at them to drop it. She and the band left directly after finishing their meal to set up, leaving the others to clean up. Once set up, there was a quick sound check. Ashley had taken to recording these checks by placing her phone in the middle of where the crowd would be. She replayed the recording, and asked for a few adjustments, both in what played from the speakers and through her earpiece. A few repetitions later, things were at least satisfactory, but she wished for Jasmine's ear. That girl had a knack for getting things right on the first try.

Night was falling, and soon the start time was rushing at them. The ESPN crew were informed that the announcement would be made at this small concert. Besides, what the producers saw of footage last night was very promising. They had four cameras in place when the emcee greeted the crowd. Ashley and band kicked things off with one of Trail Springs' bigger hits, followed by Windowless Pains from when she was with the Pinheads. A few more songs went by before they began performing the now ultra-popular Soar.

Ashley took a break at this point, turning her back to wipe her face with a towel that laid near Jim's drum kit. "Y'all having fun?" she asked the crowd, and received a loud response. She toyed with the crowd a bit, introducing herself, each band member, and announcing most of the team was in the crowd. Of course, both finalist quarterbacks were at the side of the stage, and she mentioned this as well.

"So, here's Dare, a single getting released week after next," she said with a grin.

The crowd groaned, the most vocal coming from Joe and the other quarterback.

She put her hand up, grinning from ear to ear. "Okay! Okay! Before that, from your reaction, I guess most of you know I've been asked to announce who will be starting tomorrow night." She looked back at Jim, who promptly began a dramatic and cliché drumroll. "The starting quarterback for your 'Noles is...Joe Smith!"

The crowd cheered happily, and Joe shook his now-backup's hand. Ashley waved him over and gave him a warm hug. Then she winked at him when Mike started the chords for Dare. She sang to him sweetly while her band poured their hearts into the music. Although the ballad was about two souls performing an ultimate dare in trusting each other completely, the lyrics could be interpreted as a congratulations to him for daring to aim high in returning to football, even though he had no need to chance the injuries associated with the sport.

Joe, for his part, was joyful to have been chosen, then embarrassed to be spotlighted. The unease was temporary, as his beautiful wife singing just for him calmed the deepest raw nerves even he didn't know he had. Ashley's delicate hand lightly holding his was like an anchor holding him to the spot on the stage. His attention was fixed on her, enjoying every note that emanated from her throat. A separate small part of his thoughts turned to when his parents were in that wreck. Sure, Ashley adored the Smiths and held no small amount of gratitude for their hospitality. But, when he got that fated call, she made sure she was by his side, even though she had no personal responsibility to do so. She risked graduation by flying off with him to the hospital in Denver. Yet, she didn't think twice. Ashley just did so, and thank God. Joe didn't know how he could have possibly dealt with the shock of their accident, then the torturous news of their passing without her there. She grounded him, tethering his multitude of thoughts and emotions to what needed to be done. Without any words, much less preaching, she had the ability to calm and consolidate even his most private frayed ends.

Things have seemed...how could he put it...so separate lately. She worked unbelievably hard at getting to this high point with her music. He worked as hard at getting back into football. But they both loved what they were doing, and loved each other as much to allow them to follow their desires. He missed the sweetness of initial courtship: the flirts, the cuddles, constant touches and linked arms and hands that deal with the insecurities of young love. He looked down to the hand that held his with the airy touch of a butterfly. A mere heartbeat seemed enough to break contact, yet it held him firm. He didn't know what, but somehow he'd have to change something to reconnect. He felt the project's success would be that something.. It just had to work, but there were so few chances left, he knew.

The ballad ended to much applause, and he felt her fingers twitch in their preparation to release his. Quickly, he clutched them to affirm his gratitude for her token performance to him. Ashley smiled and enveloped him in a warm hug. They whispered their profession of love to each other and she squeezed his hand, almost feeling the inward thoughts he had. "I'm not so sure you'll still love me after this," she said to him before turning back to the crowd.

photodad
photodad
492 Followers
1...34567...13