An Angel's Fix Pt. 09

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
photodad
photodad
492 Followers

Ashley double-checked herself. No, there was no ring on Cindy's finger...oh, now she saw the one on Doug's. Her heart fell in disappointment.

Cindy caught everyone looking at her left hand, so she held it up. "It's already starting to swell at times, so I took it off until after delivery. Why the long face, Ash?"

Ashley snapped out of it. "Sorry. I'm happy for you two, really. I just...I guess I missed my chance to play for your reception."

"Yeah, Ashley, that's why you should be disappointed," Jasmine baited with sarcasm. No argument was snagged so she continued, "Never mind missing the chance to witness the event or be there to congratulate them."

Cindy smiled to disarm the tension. "A small, quick trip to the courthouse made sense for us. We didn't feel any need to show off. I know I don't like being the center of attention. Besides, I like to think that y'all already gave us the gift of that trip through Europe."

Ashley couldn't help but feel disappointed that she missed out on an event. She felt that not having a band she could count on played no small part in that. They were staying home the first half of the summer, since Joe would have to return to Tally for two-a-days the second half. There was a trip to southern California for a photo-op with the studio, so that nixed taking first summer session classes, anyway.

The meeting with the producers before the photo-op was interesting for her, since they said they were looking for music to fill the rest of the movie. Her title track could be threaded out for a unifying theme, but they were also looking for other music to fill in a few scenes. She surprised everyone by stating that she had everything they needed. It turned out that when Blizzard launched the trial balloon press release that she had seen last year, she was toying with some pieces in her head for fun, pretending at the time that she indeed was working on the project she greatly desired. When each song was described, the producers felt they had stumbled upon a goldmine. Everything they needed and imagined, but failed to reach in their first run, was now right in front of them, in Ashley's head. When asked how long she needed for a finished score, Ashley was confident in answering that she could get it back to them in about a month. Kim dropped her jaw, but didn't say anything contrary.

As they jetted back home, Ashley told Kim that she needed a band she could trust. Kim went over some options that she and Jon had come up with, anticipating the need eventually. After much debate, Ashley said she wanted to pull together her own members, and Kim began planning out auditions. She set up ads as well as a number of Tweets to pitch the event over the next two weeks.

Five days, one hundred fifty-six interviews and auditions in, Ashley dropped her head on the table, frustration washing over her. If the interview went well, the musical talent was lacking. If they could play a lick, they either had the personality of a doorknob or so much charisma that Ashley had trouble getting "sorry" squeezed into their verbal stream.

"Oh God," she groaned into her arm on the table. "Maybe I got lucky with Reena, Mike, Jim, and Paul."

"I don't know," countered Kim. "That guy..." she referenced a few sheets back "...Jason seemed promising."

Ashley still had her head nestled in her arms. "Sure. Him and who else? I really liked the chemistry I briefly had with Reena and crew." She closed the manila folder that held the few possible 'yeses', which really felt like 'passes.' "Well, I was pushing it by keeping the auditions up this long. There's a deadline coming up. I guess I'll just go home and do the best I can to record the tracks. Maybe later we can try again."

A door opened to the auditorium she rented. "Hey Ashley, how go the auditions?" Reena's voice was chipper, although Ashley detected a hint of staging.

Ashley slumped in her chair. "Hey. Did you come to laugh at my misery?"

Reena entered, followed by the rest of her band. "That well, huh?" Ashley grunted her response. Reena stood in front of the table. "Well, your Twitter feed said you were still holding auditions today."

Ashley got up and moved around the table to properly greet her friends with hugs. "Well," she sighed after the last embrace. "I was. But, it all was hopeless, so I'm hanging it up for now. We were gonna get a bite before heading home, you wanna come with?"

"Actually," Reena asserted her voice to stop Ashley from spinning away and heading out. "I know you were hearing individuals, avoiding having to break ingrained habits and all that. But, I was hoping you'd allow us to play together for you."

Ashley tilted her head as she worked to comprehend what Reena was suggesting. "You...what? What exactly are you... what?"

"We'd like to audition for you."

"I know what y'all can do. You don't have to play just to play."

Kim had finished packing her briefcase. "You want to audition for the project? Ashley, this is your answer! With them, you'll finish before the weekend."

"True, and I wouldn't have to ask Jon to have Tales help me."

Kim's face fell slightly. "Well, there's a reason I didn't pitch that to you. They're recording for their new album the next few weeks."

Mike edged forward, and Reena took the hint. "Actually," she said for the second time. "We were hoping to audition for a permanent place at your side, Ashley."

"Whaaa?" Ashley gaped in surprise.

"Yeah, what's going on?" Kim asked.

Reena sighed. "Is that late lunch invite still open?"

Ashley treated them to Olive Garden, the table seating her and Kim, as well as the Trail Springs band. A few people gave double takes when they recognized Reena and her bandmates. Over tea and salad, the story took shape, and through the entrees, it was clear that Jon buying Ashley out was a real blessing. Mike kicked it off by revealing that Matt had fired him, the replacement being prettier. And far less talented, Reena added. She hired Mike directly as an advisor. Paul was next, and Reena had tried to put her foot down, but Matt threatened to drop the band entirely, retaining royalty rights and leaving them with nothing. They had been recording their second album during this, and the upheaval was causing frustration and bad blood. Paul was hired by Reena to replace an equipment manager who walked out, but things were not the same as when they started. Matt started in on Jim, nitpicking and harping on the littlest things about his appearance. He seemed unwilling to fire Jim outright, since Reena would probably find a way to keep him around. Instead, he worked to get Jim to quit. By now, it was obvious that Matt had his eye on Reena, who had talent and the look that matched his true vision for Trail Springs.

Ashley looked at each of them while she finished a bite of pasta. Their broken faces said more was coming. "So, hit me with the heavy stuff," she said finally.

Reena sighed. "Matt sold his label..." Ashley and Kim's jaws dropped. "...Yeah, I know! An investment corporation snapped it up, and they're worse than him. Looking back over the last year, I guess Matt was trying to help me prepare for this. Anyway, they took over and everything is about pure image. A lot of acts were dropped, many more were changed to the point that all the original members were replaced with fairer faces."

"The Pinheads?" Kim asked.

Reena let out a sympathetic chuckle. "Watercooler talk has it that they were given to you as a one-time training and polishing project. Shortly after we did that prom, they were split up and plugged into different acts, all part of that image thing. Ashley, I hope you don't feel like you failed with them. They were never yours. I never did hear what the long term plans were for you, but I think Matt intended to use you to groom lookers for other bands...at least until you left college."

"Wow, I'm glad he had so much faith in me," Ashley growled.

Reena smiled at her. "Aww, I think you should consider that a compliment. That you're strong enough to coach others."

Ashley returned the smile weakly. "Yeah, but I've found out that coaching others doesn't get you the big bucks...or recognition."

Mike pushed his empty plate back. "Well, that's why we're here. We did pretty good when we were together, but so many places just want bands that look good on TV. Even when things were rolling, and we opened for a couple of arena tours, it just wasn't...I don't know..."

"Fun." Reena finished. The other three nodded. "We missed playing with you. You were so much fun to work with. And, it just felt like everything clicked. You knew what we would do, we knew what you were going to do. We fed off each other."

"Yeah, we did," Ashley agreed. "But y'all left me once," she reminded them, unable to shake wanting to protect herself. "You wanted fame and fortune. I haven't exactly burned up the charts."

"Yet," countered Reena. "Yeah, we had that, and it wasn't anything. There was no point if we were just going through the motions to keep the label off our backs."

"Not to mention that weasel Julip," spat Paul.

It was time to close the deal. "Look, Ashley," Reena said. "We want to have fun again, to just play for enjoyment."

"Well, I don't know how much playing time we'll get. I still have two years left in college, and I don't know what's going to happen after this project is done. Plus, Joe has a good shot at starting, so I want to be at every game, and be home for him to unwind in me..." She blushed. "I mean with me."

Reena's gaze didn't stray, and her smile was steady. "You meant IN, and that's fine. We're patient now, willing to do whatever you ask. Even if it means extended periods of doing nothing."

Ashley's mind was made up; Kim could see that and held her breath, hoping the choice was one she was hoping for. "What were you needing to make this happen, then." Ashley wanted to wrap this up. Joe was out with Jasmine on one of their 'dates,' and a tinge of possessiveness had Ashley wanting to be home before too much temptation took place.

Reena's face relaxed a bit, feeling the goal was near. "We know Jon took you under his wing and bought you out. We were hoping you'd take us under yours. That you'd buy our...well, my...contract from Fell Off The Truck."

Ashley blew out a breath. "How much would it take?"

Reena's eyes lowered, knowing the amount involved was the hardest part of asking. "They want 1.5. If you take the rights to what's already finished and published... well, you're looking at 4."

Ashley's eyebrows went up. "Wow, you ARE doing better than me. By about three times." She looked at Kim, who understood the unsaid question. Kim nodded without speaking. "That won't leave much to play with, once the deal's done. There won't be planes or tour buses for a while."

"We're okay with that," Reena swallowed hopefully.

Ashley smiled at her. "Then welcome back! Kim will find out what's involved, and I'll have Jill and her study group fine-tune the details. Thank you guys so much!"

Jasmine was in a snit again, which was odd to Ashley, since she used to be all fired up after these dates in a different direction. Jasmine closed herself off in one of the guest rooms, so Ashley had the bed, and Joe, to herself.

"So you figure one and a half million is worth getting your career on track?" he asked her.

"Well, four would burn up everything I saved, and the account will be bone dry. But not for long. They'll really help me get that project done in time, and it'll sound even better."

"It's not a bad idea, Babe. They have recognition in Country, you've got talent in rock and pop...you could become a true crossover artist." He paused to play with her nipple while thinking. "Your account wouldn't have to be dry. I could..."

"No, Joe. Thank you, but I want to make this MY career."

"Okay. Well, anyway, today I was considering getting a decorator to do up one of the guest rooms as a nursery for Cindy and Doug."

"That's nice, but wouldn't it be better for Cindy to decide what to do with a crib?"

"It is my house..."

Ashley patted his hand that was playing absently with her breast. "Sure it is dear. I'll let you do whatever you want with it." She accompanied the statement with a sly grin.

Joe shook his head. "Fine, what do you suggest, then?"

"Give her a budget -- a sizable one -- but still a bucket of money to redo one of the rooms of her choosing. I imagine a new mother would want her hand in building a nest. A budget would do a few things. She'd still know that we're in charge of the house, but that we're renewing our desire for her family to live here. It would be an awesome baby shower gift, and she could feel comfortable in how the nursery was made, be it herself, or a contractor she picks out and hires."

"Damn, you are so much better at gift-giving," he said with a kiss on her nose.

"That's why you keep me around, huh?" She grinned and proceeded to wrap her body around him.

He shifted to accommodate her. "Oh, I can think of a few other reasons."

Kim rented a recording studio in nearby Mobile, and on the way there, she cornered Jasmine about her mood swings. There was a heated exchange, but Jasmine finally convinced Kim that her cycles were off from the spring trip and finals at school. With threat levels back to at least truce, they got down to business. Reena and the band picked up Ashley's songs quickly, and improvements between takes were exponential. Ashley drove them hard, keeping Jasmine busy behind the sound board. There was not one complaint voiced among them, even though they missed lunch.

Ashley was given a number of statistics regarding the film to aid her in building the score and soundtrack. A folder covered in Post-Its reflected how Ashley organized her thoughts. Most people would take a look at her process and think it was a cluttered hot mess, but for her, each note could be studied, conquered, and then physically plucked off her to-do list. One yellow square stated the total movie needs: 2 hours, 1:45 music, 5 fight scenes, 2 flight scenes, 1 flight/chase scene, 3 romance/love scenes. Another note had details on the song she was currently refining in her head: Fight scene #2, 4 minutes, climax at 3:02 mark. She closed her eyes, listening to the newest version in her head, comparing it to the ticks of the clock on the wall near her. She hummed the tune, while Reena and the others patiently and softly picked and tapped practice measures. Ashley was satisfied with the new edition and pulled them together to demonstrate what she was aiming for.

Sometimes she played her guitar, sometimes she sang, and sometimes she even tapped out the rhythm on Jim's drums. Whichever way she picked always seemed to be the most effective to get the vision transferred from inside her head to inside theirs. Kim being present at Ashley's previous recording with a band couldn't help notice the stark difference in this one. There were no arguments, no shouting, no backhanded comments. Only a team push for perfection. A few runs later, Jasmine gave a weary smile while holding her thumb up. Ashley smiled as she pulled that note off her folder, crumpled and tossed it to the floor.

"Hello?" Kim answered her phone.

"Hey. Where are you, Kitten?"

"Hey Jon," she cooed. "I'm at the recording studio."

"Still? Going that well, huh?"

"Actually, it's going awesome! You should hear this stuff coming out. They've finished six pieces so far."

"Six in one day...I should have you in charge of our sessions," he laughed.

"No, I wouldn't know where to begin. Ashley's the one in complete control here. All of them are troopers."

Jasmine piped up. "Yeah, well, this trooper needs to pee bad." She hit the booth microphone. "Ash, hon, I need a short break, or you'll need to pay for a new chair, too." Ashley nodded.

"They're taking a break, finally," Kim said into her phone.

"Good. How long y'all gonna be?"

"I think Ashley wants to push until about 10."

"Then a little food might help those troopers last until then."

"Yeah, I know it would help this one." There was a pause and she finally caught on to his unsaid suggestion. "So...that's why I'll be heading out for some burgers. Great idea, Jon!"

The recording phase was mostly finished after one more long day. Jasmine estimated it would take two more days for her to mix the cuts and sound levels to her liking, so they all returned on those days in case she wanted to re-record certain snippets. Ashley decided to while away some of the time by playing around with Jim's drum set. She started out playing different rhythms on the snare, then following some tips from Jim, she played slow cadences using all the instruments. Her reactions to mistakes were purposely exaggerated to humorous effect, bringing several peels of laughter from the group. Jasmine's voice would interrupt from time to time, asking for a certain refrain or verse to be played. She'd inform them what she was looking for -- a little faster or slower, more pronounced emotion, or even play a piece all the way through one more time just to see how that would turn out. They did what she asked without question, almost always earning a thumbs up on the next try. Taking breaks from drums, Ashley had also come up with a game. She had Kim write down six stereotypes, then using a random dice app and a random jukebox app, Kim would read out a song to perform and what 'style' to play it with. Ashley's portrayal of "Redneck Jesus warrior sings Rhianna's S&M" was so entertaining that Jasmine took a break to watch. Ashley gulped before every 'embarrassing' lyric, and threw in so many 'oh Lawd's' Kim was doubled over, Jasmine found an urgent need for a bathroom break, and the band could barely play on.

Despite the occasional distraction from the goofing off in the recording booth, Jasmine was true to her timetable when sometime Thursday afternoon, she hit the intercom and declared she felt everything was done. They all crowded into the control room and Ashley said she wanted to hear the final product. Not a word was said as they listened to the title track Phoenix, the instrumentals named Fall, Ashes, and Rising. Hearts raced when they heard her flying chase song Soar, and they melted for the romance ballads Many Moons, Dare, and Love at Heartspeed.

The last instrumental faded to finality and Reena whispered in awe, "That's way better than anything we've put out."

Ashley shrugged. "You helped me perform it."

Mike shook his head. "No, this is genius. You brought us to a level I never thought we could be. It's almost like I don't recognize who's playing."

"Jazz, this is publish-ready," Kim gushed. "I feel like I've seen the movie, and the music is still with me on the way to the car. Where did you learn what you did?"

Jasmine smiled, happy at a sense of accomplishment she hadn't felt in a long time. "I've been playing around with that mini-board I gave Ashley a couple of Christmases ago. This one let me fine tune the levels much more, though." Accolades didn't mean anything, if the one who needed to be impressed wasn't. "What do you think, Ash?"

"It's exactly as I had it in my head. Thank you."

The remark didn't lose any importance in the understated delivery. This was high praise coming from Ashley. If there was anything that could have been done better, no matter how minute, she would have made it known. Politely, of course, but something would have been said, and they'd be setting up to fix it or try it another way. Jasmine beamed, knowing she had achieved Ashley's high standard.

The final version files took up nearly every data bit of Jasmine's 32 gig thumb drive. Once those were copied, she ejected the removable hard drive Kim had purchased. That contained the master recordings, the primary version that Jasmine had copied to the USB, as well as two alternate versions. Jasmine mixed three versions, each with differences that were subtle, but changed the way each felt. The primary was the one Jasmine liked best. After securing the data devices in her briefcase, Jasmine declared, "I don't know about y'all, but I'm ready for a drink!"

photodad
photodad
492 Followers