An Angel's Fix Pt. 09

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
photodad
photodad
492 Followers

"My husband, Joe," she said for the benefit of those whose heads were in the sand, "has other talents. Who wants to hear him sing?"

There was a cheer from the crowd, Joe's backup turned and walked away from stageside, and Joe groaned while seemingly try his best to become smaller.

Ashley patted his arm. "Aww, sweetie, we'll throw you a softball." She winked and turned to Jim who immediately began striking the distinctive beats of the B52's hit "Love Shack."

Joe knew instantly he'd been had, this was staged and probably because Ashley wanted to show off 'her man'. He shook his head and began sing-speaking his part. Ashley and Reena did their parts playfully, and Joe admitted their version sounded really good. The crowd ate it up, becoming a sea of smiling faces and dancing bodies.

Joe had made a sizable contribution through the alumni association the year previous, though not because he felt the school needed the money. The amount gained him two spots in the reserved 'Gold' parking section of the stadium. It also scored dibs on several seats in one of the sky boxes, but since Ashley enjoyed feeling the pulse of the crowd and insisted on sitting with her sorority sisters, Joe would purchase the tickets for every game and hand them to the new sorority president. He liked how she allocated them. Usually she doled them out as rewards for volunteer work, and held raffles for two rival games to supplement the sorority's 'playtime budget' that was set aside for dances and other events.

Today, he used Ashley's truck to back a rented trailer grill into one of the spaces. Not wanting to attract attention, he hurried and his rush did nothing to help his rusty backing skills. Ashley grinning from the passenger seat only increased his frustration. Back and up, back and up, he kept missing his mark.

"Want me to do it?" Jill had followed in her SUV to tote supplies, as well as Jasmine and Kim, who had come over for the debut game. They had left a few minutes later than Joe and Ashley, allowing Kim to finish a lengthy phone call to her Jon.

The fact they had caught up before Joe even parked irked him. "I got it, Jill!" he snapped.

Jasmine leaned out her window. "Aww, are you so nervous you can't put your unit in the hole?" Her taunt was loud enough to have carry, and a few heads turned in the lot.

"SHUT UP JAZZ!" That came from both Joe and Ashley.

Jill put on her SUV's four-way flashers in the middle of the aisle, which Joe took as further embarrassment. She got out and walked to Joe's window. "I'll spot you. Where I point is where I want your ass to go."

Ashley's eyebrows shot up. "Excuse me?"

Jill rolled her eyes. "Ass-end of the trailer. My dad used to have me spot him with the boat trailer."

Her directions had the grill in its spot quickly, but a fluff crew had been quicker. They set up in time to film Joe winding down the hitch prop and decouple the truck. "Didn't know I'd be doing a spot for 'This Old Tailgate,'" he quipped. The camera crew laughed, but kept filming the rest of their setting up. Once the truck was in place next to the grill, the canopy set up, charcoal lit, and coolers laid out, Joe gave Ashley a kiss and she wished him luck. The crew angled for a quick interview, but Joe reminded them of the media ban the coaches placed on the players. Ashley, however, was fair game, and she obliged their curiosities. Joe was excited, looking forward to the year, the tailgating was new for them this year since they hadn't any outside obligations on weekends this year, she was pleased with the success of the movie and the performance of her single so far. Asked about her dad being selected to work with Carter, she answered that she was looking forward to a good game this evening. The interviewer rightly took this answer that she wouldn't be lured into fueling supposed controversies.

They had invited the sorority house members to their party, and a few girls and fewer couples showed. They didn't turn away anyone who asked for a burger, and as the lots filled up, Jill was getting busy at the grill. Reena and the band showed later, grabbing the last few burgers from Jill before the girls started packing things into Ashley's cab. Someone asked Ashley if she could play a song, but she hadn't packed her guitar and made note to bring it next time. People lost interest and moved on to other various tailgates, so the ladies moved the canopy over her truck bed, where they relaxed and chatted. A broadcast intern found them, holding a folder. She asked Ashley to sign her permission to use footage from the night before. After a phone call to Jon from Kim, Ashley signed the rights. Another question had Jasmine using her phone to copy the Soar file from her file website to a specified address. Ashley was handed a check for $250, but Ashley and the others agreed that if ESPN used it in their broadcast, the exposure would reap a far greater amount.

A muffled cheer from around the corner of the stadium signified the GameDay cameras had turned on for their last broadcast before the start of their game. Jim, Mike, and Paul took down the canopy and stashed it in the truck. Her vehicle locked, Ashley led the others toward the gates.

Joe had gone straight from the parking lot to the practice facility and waited for the receivers and tight end he'd asked to come early. He picked up a ball and carried it while he paced around the indoor facility, still a bit awed that he was chosen to play for this elite team. A few assistant coaches were already there, greeted him with a nod or mumbled hello. He replied to both with a 'hey' and a smile. He had no illusions about being friends with them. In elite programs as this, until you showed something special, players were merely unpaid interns, no matter how much media talked up one of them. Sure, Coach had an open door policy, and several players used it -- just show up and hang out to play video games or whatnot. Joe knew such a policy was rare in college sports, almost non-existent in fact. He didn't take advantage, mostly because he felt he had to prove his worth first.

True to the firm agreements with teammates, his catchers showed near the appointed time. They jogged a couple of laps, stretched, then Joe began running plays with them. Plays above high school level relied heavily on timing. Ball snap, 2, 3, or 4 steps back, throw, catch. That's how it's supposed to work. Joe wanted to fine tune that precision he'd learned the last year and this summer, and he wanted to feel how fast each receiver was running today. He matched his internal timer to their routes, and after about 8 throws to each, the imaginary target he visualized in the air to launch the ball toward was dead on. Joe polled them after a while, but all were satisfied with the timing and ball placement, so they sat in a loose circle to kill the time left before pre-game meetings.

"Man, every time I see you, you got a ball in your hands," said his tight end. "What is up with that?"

Joe smiled. "Well, I figured I'd use an old-wives tale. Eat, sleep, walk with a ball, and it becomes part of you. It makes sense, the more you handle this thing, the more your body adapts to it, and it almost feels smaller after a while, as you get comfortable with it. I don't sleep with it, or eat...but I try to hold one as often as I get a chance."

"Yeah, you didn't have one last night at the concert," one of his receivers pointed out. "Your old lady killed it, by the way."

Joe chuckled at the Old South idiom. "Ashley is special."

Another receiver piped up. "That she is. Speaking of 'special', what is up with her not wearing shoes?"

Joe related how she tripped during a performance, because one of her band members wouldn't stay in his assigned spot and wrecked her ankle further by performing on the injury for Phantom of The Opera. Now, she won't perform with shoes to avoid another mishap. He used the parable to remind them to keep their assignments. Joe considered himself lucky none of them brought up his singing. As they got up to head to the meeting, Joe invited them over for lunch tomorrow.

One of the story lines for this game was their opponent, Duke. They had a surprising year last season, and football gurus were touting the team as favorites for the conference top spot. The head coach used the primetime kickoff of this game to his advantage. Throughout the day, four top tier teams fell to far lesser schools. He played clips of small school athletes jumping in celebration after felling Goliaths. The videos were to be viewed as a reminder to never underestimate an opponent. Speeches, instructions, fundamentals reminders were given before the quasi-ceremonial walk to the stadium locker room in shirts and ties.

Joe smiled and nodded to the fans who watched them file into the stadium, gave an extra smile and wave to the camera that focused on him. They suited up, listened to a few assistants, went to the field for team drills and warmups. He looked up and waved at Ashley and company in their usual spot. The team returned to the locker room, hung out, listened to the coach give his game motivator, said a team prayer, and filed out to the tunnel. Joe endured a few glances his way, and knew some of them expected him to say something. He didn't. Many started chanting something or another to hype themselves up, but he stayed out of the group jumping. It just didn't suit his personality.

The energy of the crowd could be felt as they took the field, and it was hard not to get wrapped up in the charged atmosphere. Joe kept telling himself, "just managing a team" over and over, working to keep the jitters to a minimum. Their touted defense produced three captains for this opening game, and they represented for the coin toss. Duke won and elected to defer. Joe was surprised that he was anxious at knowing his appearance was only moments away.

The coach had some words for him during the kickoff, mostly to the effect of relax, we've practiced for this. Joe nodded and before he knew it, the PA was announcing him as starting quarterback. He trotted out with the rest of the offense to wild cheering. They huddled, and all eyes were on him.

"So, what do you think of all this?" one of the senior linemen asked, referring to the excitement of their first game of the season.

Joe gave a single chuckle. "Grab your punch cards, guys. It's time to clock in."

Ten smiles appeared and as many "hell yeahs" were said. The reaction made Joe comfortable and settled him down, oddly enough. He repeated the name of the play that was scripted for this series, and they marched to their positions. The script was conservative, designed to test the Blue Devils' run defense, as well as their route coverage. Three runs and a short pass, Joe's squad had two first downs and were nearing the 50 yard line. Still on the script and each short play successful, they hadn't huddled since the opening play. Joe scoped the defense, decided they were still guessing, and didn't audible. He waited for his veteran line to communicate their blocks to each other, then caught movement in his periphery. Corner blitz coming. Leaves a linebacker or safety to cover that receiver. So, they figured out who's running decoy, Joe thought. He tapped his hip, an instruction for the running back to pick up the blitz, then called for the ball. The play was intended for a quick-crossing tight end to be primary receiver. Joe had already decided to reverse the checkdown order, wagering it would be a linebacker covering the abandoned receiver. One step into his dropback, Joe confirmed his hunch was right, the big defender was chasing down the decoy fly route. By the time Joe released the ball, his receiver was already a step and a half ahead.

Ashley, Kim, and Jasmine found their seats in the sparsely populated student section. A pledge was also early and commented on the thin attendance. Jasmine told the freshman that most of the students were still partying, and assured her it would be full before three minutes into the game.

"I thought you'd still be at the House party, or at least our tailgate," Ashley commented, filling her role as an 'Elder Sister' keeping tabs on pledges.

The girl almost cowered in fear. "I..uh...I thought we were excused if our parents were visiting."

Ashley laughed lightly. "It's okay, you are. Where's your parents sitting?"

"Oh, um...they should be a few rows above the band."

"Nice. I'm jealous."

The girl was puzzled. "Jealous? They're horrible seats, almost on the rim."

"Well, if Joe weren't playing, I'd be watching the band."

Jasmine scoffed. "You'd want to be conducting the band."

Ashley shot a look. "That too...what's gotten into you, Jazz? You've been so abrasive lately."

A big huff came from Jasmine. "I'm tired, horny, and hungry," she quipped. "And not in that order."

Ashley was about to chide Jasmine for not grabbing a late burger before they packed up, or for not playing in bed with her as much lately, but a gasp from the pledge at Jasmine's 'horny' blurt reminded Ashley that not all ears in range knew about her and Jasmine. "Well, why don't you have a fling with Sam? I've already told you you could."

"I can't."

"Why not?!"

Kim was getting uncomfortable with the squabble. "I'm gonna sit with Reena," she said as she got up.

"Because I've already promised..." Jasmine ignored Kim's abrupt departure.

"Promised who?"

"Joe," Jasmine said quietly.

"JOE?!" Ashley's face was red now.

The freshman followed this soap opera with wide eyes. She couldn't help herself when she asked, "Who's Sam?"

Ashley's flamed eyes were locked on Jasmine when she pointed toward the rail near the field. "Sam is my and Joe's bodyguard."

The girl followed the point to a young built man dressed in a polo while he was scanning the bleachers. "Oh nice!" The bodyguard comment finally rang some bells, but one more piece was needed. "So, who's Joe?"

"My HUSBAND," Ashley fired toward Jasmine. "He's starting today." The tone was even until she asked, "Been taking things a bit far on your play dates?"

"NO!"

"Then, promised him what?"

"I wouldn't sleep with anyone until the project was over."

Ashley relaxed but shook her head. "Strange project to include abstinence. Maybe you'll tell me about it sometime?"

"Of course, as soon as there's a result."

Their single audience member was wholly wrapped in the drama, especially once she figured things out. "Wow, you're Ashley!"

Ashley giggled. "And you're Julie! We've met at the start of Rush Week."

"No, I mean you're Ashley, Ashley! Soar? Rightside Down? Ashley's Song? Ashley Smith, married to Joe Smith, heir of Carter Electronics, and recently named starting quarterback?" She met Ashley's gaze that revealed nothing. "Oh come on, I can't be wrong! I didn't get it at first, cuz every time I've seen you, it's t-shirt, shorts, and pony tail."

Jasmine smiled, the tension gone. "I'd like to think she's Phantom's Christine Ashley." She looked at her girlfriend. "I still say that was some of your best work."

"Thanks!"

"So, it's true!" Julie looked about to be sick suddenly. "Wow, I've never talked to a famous person before."

Ashley let out a flattered sigh. "And you still haven't. I'm not famous. At least I don't think...ooh here they come!"

They watched the players trot out and form up for the team stretches and drills. Ashley waved her fingers in reply to her husband's acknowledgment. The girls affected silly grins when the players bent over in a stretch. Ashley said to her younger 'candidate,' "this is why I come early. My favorite part of the games."

Julie giggled. "I see."

They watched with rapt attention as the team ran through their choreographed agility drills. Dropping down, flopping over to their right, to their left, jumping to their feet. The marching band shouted a count with each movement. The team broke out into their warmup stations, Ashley followed Number 6. She sighed as she watched.

"His balls are so pretty," she mused.

Julie burst a laugh through her nose. "Isn't that kind of personal? College is turning out way different than I imagined."

Jasmine giggled. "Well, what you're thinking, too. But Ash is talking about the spirals he's throwing."

"Oh," Julie blushed. "Of course."

They watched in silence the rest of the warmups and drills, focusing on their team, and oblivious to the opponents. They cheered with the rest of the growing crowd when a sharp whistle had the players jogging for their tunnel.

"Joe look nervous?" Jasmine asked.

"I can never tell when he's in uniform. He looked loose, though..."

Ashley was interrupted by someone in a FSU polo. Seminole Broadcast Network wanted an interview to fill some air time at the half. She agreed, and the undergrad gave details before leaving. Ashley sat next to Jasmine, all animosity gone now.

Julie was starstruck now. "See? You ARE famous! So, where's Trail Springs?"

Ashley fought the urge to correct her and say they were now her band. "Over there, 'round the corner."

She squinted into the sun setting just above the stadium edge. "Oh wow," she croaked when she recognized their tiny faces. Their sorority began arriving around them. "Hey guys," Julie said to them. "You know who this is?"

Robin, the new president glared. "Looks like Ashley and Jasmine to me. And, we missed you at the house tailgate party."

"I...uh..."

Ashley stepped in. "I already covered it with her. Julie's parents are in town. She came here right after their family lunch, right?"

"Exactly," the girl confirmed.

"I like her," Ashley grinned. "She's cute, and I have a feeling she'll be a great addition."

Robin sized her up and looked around at her established members. "Ashley wants a new pet, any objections to Julie?" There were none. "Very well, Julie is hereby upgraded from pledge to full sister. Welcome, Julie!" The girls squealed their happiness and hugged the dumbfounded new member. "As she is now your pet project, you're responsible for her adhering to the rules, Ash."

"I know. Bill me for her dues." She hugged her new 'sister' with a smile. "Your ass is mine now," she giggled.

Julie looked worried. "Uh, what does being your 'pet' entail?" The earlier conversation entered her mind, and Ashley's relationships seemed to be twisted through more than a few people.

Ashley retrieved her phone from her shorts waistband and snapped a picture of Julie. She tapped out a number of keys. Several phones around them chirped, and Jasmine and Julie checked the alert. Ashley looked with amusement at Julie. "You follow me?"

Julie looked down at her phone to hide her embarrassment. "Yeah, you were the first person I 'followed' on Twitter."

Jasmine gasped "Oh my God!" and went to work on her phone.

The phones chirped again.

AshleyRockerts: Hey y'all! Got a new pet! (Julie's pic).

JazzNotes: @AshleyRockerts Watch what you tweet. You twit.

JazzNotes: Welcome to the Sisterhood, Julie! Thx @AshleyRockerts 4 the recruit.

Julie was laughing. "You two are so funny! And, thanks!"

"Just my way of saving her ass," chided Jasmine.

"That's not all you watch," smirked Ashley. The comment was rewarded with a warning glare. Ashley ignored it and tapped out a tweet relating her excitement of her hubby's imminent debut. A text from Kim demanded to know what was going on, and Ashley tapped out an explanation. "So...rules..." she said while working her phone. "Number one: attend all required events. Number two: be on-time or early for those events."

"I was with my parents," Julie whined in exasperation.

"I know. Just saying."

"What else?"

Ashley grinned when she hit send and tucked her phone back in her shorts. "Do my homework."

Jasmine swatted her arm. "I don't think you want a freshman writing a 15 page paper on contemporary music's influence on society. She's joking, Julie."

photodad
photodad
492 Followers
1...45678...13