All Comments on 'An Eighteen Year Estrangement'

by Mainefiddleheads

Sort by:
  • 129 Comments
sugnasugnaover 8 years ago
If Only

Happy endings are few and far between in life. Thank God for fiction!

starmanfivestarmanfiveover 8 years ago
Great story!

The blackmail angle was unbelievable, but I guess she was a liar all along. Fun read! I'm glad he did not pine away and found a new love. *****

WhackdoodleWhackdoodleover 8 years ago
I have no sympathy for cheaters.

And that includes him. He was just as guilty for cheating as she was. And if she was having an affair with the man she loved and had his children, why not just divorce the guy she married?

It makes no sense that she would brag about her husband and then cheat on him. At least be consistent in your story.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
good

if a bit unbelievable

tazz317tazz317over 8 years ago
PLANNING AND WAITING GO HAND IN FOOT

and a long time coming is still slow in the due date, TK U MLJ LV NV

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
read it before

About 100 times here.

this story is so clichéd, it's been done to death.

The writing was ok but the storyline was painfully unoriginal.

impo_61impo_61over 8 years ago
I agree with @Whackdoodle...

I agree with @Whackdoodle...This isn't a bad story, there are similar ones, but it has some issues: 1st (and more important) - In the end he found out that his wife was in love with the lover...And the lover with her (that's why he never married)...So why, didn't she ask for divorce as soon as she found out she was pregnant? Never was said what the lover did for a living...Maybe the money issue was the one that made her not to divorce her husband...2nd - His fear was that if he divorced her, the lover would take his children from him...Why the need to wait 18 years to take that decision? The lover could have been found dead in a dark alley and no one would have linked the death to him...3rd - Didn't he understood that 18 years of blackmail would have driven his wife crazy? That she had been calm and happy all those years? He needed to look to a picture to see the light? 4th - his destiny in this earth was to raise other men children...Why the need to enter another marriage with that burden? However a good story...3*

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
is this another dumb story?

Maybe, maybe no. The story didn't make any sense, not when it came to explaining the behavior of the protagonists. Still, accidental or not, the story did fill in a couple of gaps in the usual story of this genre, starting with

"Did I feel like a shit fucking another woman? All I had to do was think about how she had been cucking me for years. That took care of any guilt."

Impressive, how easily someone can rationalize their behavior. So much for any moral high ground he may have constructed for himself. Typical of the genre, of the evil wife and the poor wronged husband. Such stories always give the man the moral high ground.

The second example is the real winner:

""We know, both Dave and I. I think we figured it out when I was around 13 or so..."

Kids can figure it out. The husband is an idiot, as the rest of the unfolding story makes obvious. This is another perfect example of what always happens in these types of stories. The idiot wronged husband who is gifted a happy ending. I suppose that's the best that can be done for idiots.

I hope this is story is supposed to be a parody.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
I liked it!!

Really enjoyed this story. Well written; flowed smoothly; interesting plot. Thanks for a good read.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
She was in love ?

You gave us " I was blackmailed " then he looks at a picture and sees a loving look? I couldn't find the story believable. The only thing served cold was the story.

imhaplessimhaplessover 8 years ago
Cute and entertaining

I liked it, even though your main character was a masochist. 5*

Sidney43Sidney43over 8 years ago

As I finished this story and read a few comments I realized this particular one was written in the style of another author who posts here, "Just Plain Bob". A story of a life together, with all the essentials from early life to a conclusion, but written in a rather hurried pace and then neatly tied up in a few paragraphs. Perhaps it is unfair to compare it to another authors writing style, because there are only so many ways you can write a story like this and the genre has been thoroughly explored.

I liked the story because there was an element of BTB involved and he ended up with the woman he should have married early on. It seemed fairly clear that he was going to end up with Michelle when they parted company and that provided a satisfactory conclusion to the story and a reward for his being a good father. It was a bit weak that his wife never questioned that he didn't seem to get raises, or inquire about work and what was going on there. Oh well, life's a bitch and then you die.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
500,000 dollar mortgage

And wifey doesn't notice.pure drivel

carvohicarvohiover 8 years ago
I read and...

enjoyed it.

Thanks!

Jedd Clampett

honeylicker1124honeylicker1124over 8 years ago
Great story, and I was interested early on because...

my dad was in the Army during WWII. He served over a year stateside, and contracted the mumps. The story I was told growing up was "the mumps went down on him." So he was so sick they discharged him. I wasn't born until twelve years after they were married. I was told by my mother, that when I was born (btw, exactly 64 years ago today) that I was a miracle, and I was an only child, raised in a Christian home. So the rubella didn't totally render him infertile. I have too many of my dad's looks and characteristics to be none other than his. With rubella vaccine today, mumps isn't near as prevalent and the complications aren't so prevalent.

Good story, good grammar and spelling (which I consider most important). There are a few things that could be a stretch, like the second mortgage, but all in all a good plot. So what if this BTB plot has been done X amount of times? It is your story, and you tell it like you want too. The mumps complication is a different take on it from what I've read on here. 5 *'s

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Not bad

And I can commiserate. After a high school fight where I was dropped with a kick to the nuts from behind, I found myself sterile. No, I didn't know it then, I found out about 17 years after I was married and went in for a routine test and after jacking into a cup, went home in shock to my wife and three daughters.

My daughters had always been ambivalent toward me. I found out later, my wife had to tell them early on when two of them had a blood disease and she had to admit to them I wasn't their father. It was then our relationship changed, although I didn't understand the catalyst for it. It came down to that and I wasn't there father, therefore, I meant little to them.

After a confrontation with my wife who swore she loved me, and my daughters who watched with only mild curiosity, I pulled the plug and simply rose to my feet and walked out of the house. That was 19 years ago and I've never been back. I know my wife searched for me for a few years, but then after about 10, she divorced me on grounds of abandonment. My daughters, with the exception of the eldest, ignored that I existed. My eldest didn't say the words she needed to in order to assuage my feelings and I haven't seen her for almost a decade.

I remarried and in the past 10 years, I've been deliriously happy. My wife was also barren after having her plumbing removed after a battle with cancer as a teen and we live a great life. Rarely do I even think of my old one.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Screwed up story,

He squirreled away his money for 17 year, took a second mortgage on the house , put all that money away. Lived a lie for all those years. No way, I could live like that. Found love with another women and let her go. Screwed the wife financially. She said she was blackmailed , to many year for that story to stick. He finds his love again and marries her. Some fantasy story if you ask me.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Thank you for your comment

@ Not Bad Anon In world there are 6 USA states where the ex husbands can start the life without children support if their kids are bastards and they are under 2-4 years. Only the DNA test has to do in time! You true story show WHY IT IS WISE DECISION WAS THE FAMILY LAW CHANGE IN THOSE 6 USA STATES! The behavior of your bastard daughters and your first wife are the good example why the 6 USA states do the right family law practice!

FD45FD45over 8 years ago
Well

Some quick math.

I divided 1.5 million by 17 years. Probably should be less, but what the hell. He was putting away, on average, about 88 THOUSAND dollars a year. Now, that does not include extra investment interest accrual. And I find it funny that the house quadrupled in value in so short a time.

Essentially, it seems...a bit incredible.

betrayedbylovebetrayedbyloveover 8 years ago
You Know

I probably would have given this tale a bad rating because the husband stayed for so long knowing what she did. The wife was a skanky, cheating cunt and tried to make our hero believe that the affair was from blackmail. What saved him was the realization that she not only was a skank cheater, she was also a fucking liar in reference to her lover. He did the right thing. A little late, but still did it.

Four Stars

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
The most important

He did a Non Declared Open Marriage.

He was infertil so he raised up the kids well. If he had been fertil he should have divorced her.

He squirreled a lot of money.

He divorced her at the end.

This last sentence is the most important.

bruce22bruce22over 8 years ago
Interesting but unemotional

Was his name Ben Friday. The jacket detail was quite a surprise. I was buying her story until then.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Funny tale but totally implausible.

Tammy would have gotten a lawyer. Probably at the Court's request/insistence. Even a moron of a lawyer would have requested Ted's financial information, added up 2 + 2 and gotten a lot of money. So even if they couldn't find it, the Courts would have made him responsible for it in the split. And the name on the mortgage meant nothing. Again, the value of the house would have been split 50/50. He would have had to make payments to Tammy for a long long time if he couldn't come up with half the value of the house, half the money he earned and she would have gotten 50% of his retirement. So while he may have divorced her, it cost him a ton of money.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Cheating wife supporters

For example Cook Island is one of the most divorce lawyer proof places for hidden money from wives!

To hid gold bars in the National forrests is also divorce lawyer proof from wives.

If the husband hid 1-10% of his income to secret deposit (The first place is Cook Islands!) no divorce lawyer finds, if he uses in small parts. To use the whole covered money after the divorce is stupid idea.......the worst divorce lawyer gets ideas.........

Once more to hid money in small quantity and to use in small quantity TOO!

Similar stupid cheater wife supporter comment as the negative comments about the betrayed husbands do photoes, videos about his cheating wives-lovers and they use them in closed circular as at the family, at the wives of the lovers, collegues and friends. If the betrayed husband uses the videos, photoes in closed circular to show the over 16 years old kids for example the cheater wife lost more in the court only to admit she was cheater and the kids know 100% sure.

To advertise the video of the cheating wife at the all population of a 30 000 inhabittants city is stupid thing and the wife will win at the court..........

FD45FD45over 8 years ago
Still

It was one of the better stories recently. Not very emotionally engaging. The people seemed wooden. But I was not entirely sure where this story would go every second.

So even a touch of dramatic tension means a lot in the story (see Bang Bang today)

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Guess he got what he could from the situation.

But what about all the loving loyal words heard by her coworkers? And why let the asshole live even if he's stay for the kids? Why not at least shut down the cuckolding? Well, like I said, he got what he could. Its where you end up that counts. She was ready and willing to sign the papers and let him walk from the moment she was caught. That should have told him something then.

Thanks for your time and effort.

sbrooks103sbrooks103over 8 years ago
@Anonymous Re:is this another dumb story?

It's NOT rationalization!

She repeatedly cheats on him, has him unknowingly raise another man's children, and he isn't entitled to a little on the side?

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago

She is a total cunt and the cheating for 20 years way over shadowed the blackmail. Own up to your mistakes and at least you have a little self respect. She lied and made a fool out of him for 2 decades her coworkers all knew. That dick died a bad death but not even life insurance for his kids or his pension what a piece of shit he is. Hope his new wife loves and respects him like he deserves

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
I didn't get it...he was in the drive but was watching her at the Ramada?

This whole story didn't make much sense. Sorry, 2 stars is about the best I can do.

chytownchytownover 8 years ago
Thanks***

For the read.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
I guess

best late than never... 4*

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Once more

The whole definition of the cuckold husband:

1 That husband who faithful before, during and after his wife's cheatings and he does not divorce her.

2. Who is FERTILE and against his fertility the cheating wife makes kids with strangers.

According to this exact definition of the cuckold husband the main character was not cuckold.

Why?

He was not fertile so the father kid relationship could be true good relationship possibility and he was successful with this relationship.

He started a Non Declared Open Mariage after learning his wife's adventure.

He prepared his future to squirrel 10% of income to secret deposit (Cook Islands is the best).

THE MOST IMPORTANT he divorced her at the end.

And he found next wife!

palewriterpalewriterover 8 years ago
@Anonymous "Cuckold husband" definition

Do you just make this stuff up?

cuckold |ˈkəkəld, -ōld|

noun archaic

the husband of an adulteress, often regarded as an object of derision.

verb [ with obj. ]

(of a man) make (another man) a cuckold by having a sexual relationship with his wife.

• (of a man's wife) make (her husband) a cuckold.

DERIVATIVES

cuckoldry |-drē| noun

ORIGIN

late Old English, from Old French cucuault, from cucu ‘cuckoo’ (from the cuckoo's habit of laying its egg in another bird's nest). The equivalent words in French and other languages applied to both the bird and the adulterer; cuckold has never been applied to the bird in English.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Once more

@palewriter I wrote in my definition WHOLE MEANING of the cuckold.

You showed the thight definition.

If somebody lives in (Non Declared or Declared) Open Marriage that husband is not cuckold. It may be the husband is another cheater bastard in Non Declared Open Marriage, if the husband started the extramarital adventure.

The husband must live with the cheater or hot wife and he must be faithful untill divorce that case he is cuckold husband, but he has mistresses, adventure too he is not cuckold. But the divorced ex husband according to the tight (dictionary) or the whole definitions alike not cuck more!

His aim was the divorce...........

The tight definition (dictionary) speaks about the bastard kids too, but according to the whole definition only a fertile man could have bastard kid in his family. The infertile man can not have his own kids so "The kid of the cuck bird can not break the other eggs in the nest!).

Once more.

1.HE DIVORCED AT THE END AND HE PREPARED SECRET MONEY FOUND FOR HIS DIVORCED FUTURE!

2. He had extramarital adventures and long term misstress (his future second wife).

3. He was infertile so the non DNA relative kids were not instead of his DNA related kids!

Chief3BlanketChief3Blanketover 8 years ago
Don't know

My base reaction is this is a sad tale with two sad sack characters.

sbrooks103sbrooks103over 8 years ago
Further Thoughts

“The reason I put myself through all this hell was because that fucking baby daddy could have taken my kids away” – Not quite true; first of all, as children born into a marriage HE is the presumed father. Even if he divorced Tammy, unless she denied his paternity, that wouldn’t change. Certainly, once the kids were old enough to let their feelings be known, unless THEY wanted to go with their genetic father they would have been allowed to stay with the father that raised them.

@Anonymous 11/25/15 Re: Ramada – He was referring to pictures the PI got of her and her lover at the Ramada Inn, NOT that he was at the Ramada NOW.

sbrooks103sbrooks103about 8 years ago
Additional Thought

@impo_61 – I think the difference with raising Michelle’s kids was 1) He did it KNOWINGLY, and 2) She never cheated on him.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 8 years ago
to the annon that didnt get it

Are you stupid or what? He was looking at the photos taken at the Ramada while he was sitting in his car in his drive way when he notice the loving looks in his wife eyes and that she was wearing her lovers varsity jacket, because he never had one so she had to be wearing her fuck buddies, that's why he started laughing and backed out of the driveway and left. Now do you understand?

tazz317tazz317about 8 years ago
DEAD PEOPLE HAVE A LOT OF PATIENCE

so do mates that have been wronged, TK U MLJ LV NV

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xabout 8 years ago
Blackmail

Although in this story it didn't end up as blackmail (if it ever was!), but as I've said before, why do these women submit so easily to blackmail?

Even if, as in this case, it was more than just a blow job, to REPEATEDLY fuck to cover up ONE fuck makes no sense!

And after ONE baby, why the hell didn't she go on birth control?

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
Another 4 for you.

I really am enjoying your stories.

Thanks for taking the time to express in writing, the talent running around in your soul.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
The husband didn't win points with me.

Your sense of entitlement as the cheated party is outrageous. Her cheating doesn't justify you hiding money from her or you cheating on her in return. The only thing you are entitled to is the choice of divorcing her or forgiving her. That's it, and you have the moral high. If you do anything else to make her suffer, you lose the moral high ground, and any story you write out of that isn't worth the paper it is written on. As a reader, I don't sympathize with people who think they are entitled to dish out pain just because they got hurt.

MainefiddleheadsMainefiddleheadsalmost 8 years agoAuthor
anon who didn't give points about ...

anon points, the thing about this place is that you got in free and nobody dipped into your pocket to cheat you out of anything regarding your moral compass.However to placate your thirst for simplicity ...

Her: Oh thou dispassionate husband, I have slaked mine thirst for lustful entreaties with thine employer of note.

He: Thou is utterly cast down upon thee for thine iniquity.

Her: I couldest not but surrender to his rod of pleasure for it wast enormous to the depths of mine plunderings.

He. Oh wickedess harlot of infidelity, I am left but one mere course of action upon thee.

Her: Oh no. Though shouldnst be so cruel.

He: Oh but alas. I divorce thee! I divorce thee! I divorce thee. Now lestest me wank off in mine misery.

<scene fades in light and the curtain slowly draws to a clase.

MFH

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
@ Husband Gets No Points

Tammy broke the contract immediately! In fact, it could be construed that she committed fraud in entering the marriage, certainly in producing children by another man. It's not you decision on what his choices are, As an adult he was free to do as he wished just as she was. I don't think I could have stayed. He sacrificed the moral high ground for the lives of two human beings. If no children were involved I could see your point. He may not get all the points but he gets most of them. As far as demeaning the author, he is one of my favorites and YOU have the choice to read or not. This is a free site so you have lost nothing..

sdc97230sdc97230almost 8 years ago
"The moral high ground" for him

Was that his kids - and as far as he was concerned they WERE his kids - came first. Tammy was a lousy mother, and it's obvious that Cookson would have been just as lousy a father.

GeorgeAndersonGeorgeAndersonalmost 8 years ago
@MFH

ROTFL. Perfect response. I loved the story, too.

magma60magma60over 7 years ago
Great Story

Great story and well written, looking forward to more of your work.

ohyessssssohyessssssover 7 years ago
I couldn't have resisted

While in the driveway, I would have gotten out and shown her the picture. Baby you were not only a cheating slut, but a fucking liar.

sugnasugnaover 7 years ago
About Right

Ted, followed a good path for a man. It is in our DNA to raise kids. The fact that he was not the biological father does not change this instinct. What he did was all part of living a full life. After the kids are grown, there is no point in continuing with a marriage that was stillborn.

Whatever Tammy was, she never cared about anyone but herself. Married or divorced would not really matter to her. Her lack of love for her family illustrated her stunted personality. She was an emotional dwarf.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
Interesting story

But it was only 2 pages and it felt like 10. The story moved at a glacial pace and it seemed like a bad idea to live in misery for that many years. If you believe her side of the story, then she wasn't real happy during those years either. It was c245cruel to both of them to do that to themselves and to the children. Well written story but it sure wasn't very fun or entertaining. Kinda like a trip to the dentist.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
uhh???

Guy has mumps when he is 20. More likely than not doctor would have informed him of possible sterility. Certainly if he did not know that mumps at that age could sterilize him, someone he knew would have.

The second he learned of her pregnancy he should had tests then divorced her.

You are excellent writer, but hero would have to be idiot for premise of story to have any believability

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
@anon-the husband didn't win points

Written like a cheating wife who is yet to be discovered eating the pastry without gaining the pounds. Someone who not only betrays and humilates husband but wants to leave him penniless to support her and lover for lifetime.

I am certain this story has you worrief, but I am also certain you will continue to cheat.

Luckily for wive's lover he died...those years of back child support-depending on State-can be costly.

SparksWillFlySparksWillFlyabout 7 years ago
All the Standard BTB Stuff

But with a new twist on each cliche. Imaginative and entertaining. Who'd have thunk it?

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
Is it really

Possible you could make the man you created into a soulless cuckold who makes lame excuses ?

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
The usual suspects here

What I lost it over was 'quim'. Yes, I lnow what it means but it is so archaic as to ruin the story everytime it appeared.

MainefiddleheadsMainefiddleheadsover 6 years agoAuthor
anonymous suspect

I recommend that you avoid my stories because there will ALWAYS be an archaic element of some sort that will ruin it for you every time. I'm just old that way.

JbRobertssonJbRobertssonover 6 years ago
Great story, great writing...

Faced with a dilemma, he made the right choice - a very challenging and tough choice to be sure, but one that would give his children the best chance for a good life. He saw that his kids were raised straight and true. He did what Dads are supposed to do: protect your children and raise them to be good people. Great story as usual. 5 stars, of course. Thanks!

timrivtimrivover 6 years ago

5 paragraphs before the end of the story he concludes that she was still lying about the affair and that in fact she and Cookson were actually lovers and in love all those years and she was not blackmailed at all despite what she had said.

sas6446sas6446over 6 years ago
UGH!!!!

What utter bull shit! No man, especially at his age, finds out his wife is having an affair and he's not the sperm donor of his kids, will hold out for all those years!

Your story is just to incredulous and incomprehensible!

Old_biker_dudeOld_biker_dudeover 6 years ago
Good fiction

All these jerks ragging about unrealistic, what part of fiction don't you understand

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
The happy cuckold

Got a few years left in him. It could be worse.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago

Willingly being cucked for 19 years? Yeah, I can't see it.

If the wife was loving and he enjoyed her company, then maybe, but you stated:

"I still loved the woman I married. I just couldn't stand her."

It just ended up depressing. He should have cut and run as soon as he found out and made a life with Michelle. You only live once, why throw two decades away?

enderlocke77enderlocke77almost 6 years ago
:) liked this one

the power of loving one's children is a powerful thing indeed

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 6 years ago

Lots of deejay-vu here for me, it's a good story but for the one big miss in the story.

The kids would have seen and considered their parents relationship to be 'normal' and set their own values on what they observed. But we all know it was a one sided relationship based on tolerance by the father. Per the story Tammy was barely a mother by her own desires (helped by Ted not caring to include her).

So the issue (I've seen) is how this type of mother-father relationship sets a false set of 'normal' loving relationship values within the kids. [The only redeeming grace to the story is that the kids discovered all Ted's evidence (while they were teenagers) and knew of the shame relationship.] My kids never found the data but knew their mom cucked me, as she did not come home one night and they found me crying (to my dismay - and never to be repeated in their presence).

Way later I realized my kids had a skewed set of values that complicated their lives well into their 20's until we discussed the issue and how I messed up (all in retrospect).

I should have dumped the shank when it happen but the kids were so young (and they are mine); the CA courts would have screwed, blued, and tattooed me - I would have never been allowed to be part of their life even though I and the kids were the victims.

Just_WordsJust_Wordsover 5 years ago
Good story.

Yes, I can see a father making this sacrifice in the days of no-fault divorce. Although, I think it would drive him crazy trying. As for the wife, I've known a few who could lie all day and night. They never stop.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Nice Story

And very well written too. I don’t remember seeing one grammatical or punctuation error in the whole story, and that’s a very rare occurrence. And it does make the story SO much easier to read, so “Thanks” to the author for that. As for the storyline, I don’t think I’m a strong enough man to do what he did. When somebody wrongs me badly I just don’t have the self-control to shrug it off and let it go. There WILL be a confrontation. And probably sooner rather than later. I really think kids are tougher than they are usually given credit for, but I would hope my problems wouldn’t scar them too badly. But no wife of mine is going to stab me in the back and walk away laughing about it. “Payback is a Bitch”.

johnadpjohnadpover 5 years ago

I think he saw what he wanted to see in her eyes in the picture. At that point he ultimately wanted Michelle and his unconcious would have seen what it wanted to see in Tammy's eyes. One look of the eyes in the picture wouldn't tell a story. Neither the varsity jacket. If he really wanted to know if Tammy was into the other man or not he could have watched the videotape he had. That had audio and running video.

But maybe when it came time to decide his unconcious realized he wanted Michelle and he saw what he wanted to see in the picture. Which is fine, as our unconcious often knows what we truly want.

But the admirable thing is that unlike so many of those LW stories, he didn't abandon the kids because biologically they weren't his and he put them and their well being first. That to me makes him totally a man. A true man is a leader and he watches out for those in his care. Those kids were dependent on him and needed him.

One thing that would have been unrealistic in this story is that for 17 years he must have gone through the motions with Tammy so she would have known after a while that he doesn't love her so she would have lost interest in him eventually.

Last, we never got an answer to two questions. First, if Tammy's version was true or not. As stated above the picture thing is not enough for me. And second, if Tammy was so much into the other guy, he was the bio dad, and the other guy didn't have another woman/wife, why was Tammy not with him and was with the protaganist in this story. Would have loved those answers.

tangledweedtangledweedover 5 years ago
Putting up with 18 years of deceit for the sake of the kids?

If you dedicate a couple of decades of your life to a long term emotional and financial con game just for the sake of the kids, you are a fool. You can teach those children everything they need to survive as adults, but the shitty relationship example you set is going to warp their perspective on how to relate to any future partners they may have.

Just the thought of stifling a secret like that for so long would drive most people crazy. All it would take is one medium sized marital scrap before it all came out. It just wouldn't be possible for a person to play that long con so well without a bit of a sociopath in them.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
No

If they were his biological children, then yes.

She did more that cuckold him, she had him raise another's children.

I'm not saying he can't remain a part of the kid's lives, but the plot makes NO SENSE.

Women feel pity for another's kids. Men, not so much. It's hard-wired. What I'm saying is he has no reason to fear a divorce. You wanna know real blackmail? The husband has evidence to show she's THAT sorta woman. She'll sign whatever he tells her to, or she'll have no future b/f ever. Her lover would be black-balled by all the husbands in his area. They'd be pariahs. Social losers.

And he'd have a chance to raise his own children. THAT'S motivation.

26thNC26thNCover 5 years ago
Good story

He played the.long game and son it all. She was a.lying bitch until the end and finally paid for it. Good one.

Just_WordsJust_Wordsabout 5 years ago
Very good story. I found I liked the guy.

My favorite line: "I still loved the woman I married. I just couldn't stand her."

It does seem that some people never can tell the truth, even at the end when they are uncovered.

LoejtcLoejtcabout 5 years ago
Pushing the envelope

His "son" is about 2+, his "daughter" is a few months old when he finds out he is sterile.

But they're "his" kids???? He's willing to live with his slut wife for another 18 yrs?

He knows who the father is. In a divorce he names the father, who would then be liable for child support.

He starts over with Michelle. End of story.

Huedogg2Huedogg2almost 5 years ago
the ultimate willing cuckold

its a shame that the kids had more sense that "their so called father", because in the end his blood line never existed. The thing that gets me is even the kids walked away from their mother. They had expected him to have some integrity and divorce her ass. All he showed them was to stay with a whore for kids that aren't yours. don't get me wrong they love him for staying but they'll never stay with a woman or man just for the kids sake.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 5 years ago
I'm in the BTB camp, both feet...

...but I totally understand his choices... this story was not really about her.

That bond between father and child can be every bit as important as life itself. When he made his discovery, he had already been living under the illusion that they were his, and had developed those feelings. In his case, to expose the situation, he would have had zero chance of being in their lives if she had turned vindictive. What court, anywhere, really provides for the father's emotional well-being? Unless, of course, he happens to be rich enough for them to see his point of view.

Even actual biological fathers get left with nothing by a cruel woman. It happens all the time, it's a fact.

If you haven't felt that paternal bond, then either you haven't had kids, or you're a selfish bastard, or a sociopath. It can devastate you losing access to a 2 month old baby boy. Trust me, I know, and it still affects me 30 years on.

Then combine the importance of that emotional bond for this character, with the fact that he was sterile: there would not even be any chance at redemption. No second chance. Ever.

If any of you can't see this from that point of view, then you're stone-hearted and I pity you.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 5 years ago
‘Could care less’

I’ve noticed americans say this rather than ‘couldn’t care less’ like we do in uk.

Surely ‘could care less’ suggests that you do actually care, but you could ......well ......care less than you do.

Doesn’t seem to get the right point over. Anyone ‘care’ to explain?

ReedRichardsReedRichardsalmost 5 years ago
He knew for 16 years that . . .

. . . his wife was fucking Cooksey on the side, but nothing bad ever happened to Cooksey? That’s a lot of time to plan the perfect murder, but not only didn’t he try it but it’s not indicated that he ever even fantasized about it.

He had the money; he could have found some street punk who’d have no connection to mug Cooksey and leave him dead or castrated, and then get lost in some other town. He had the money: he could have simply taken his kids on vacation and never returned.

The biggest problem is that he was not rearing his children properly, but in a loveless marriage; kids are way too smart not to see things like that. The only way to have done it right was to confront his wife, when he found out, and either divorce or forgive her then and try to have an actually loving marriage.

tazz317tazz317almost 5 years ago
WHERE HAS ALL THE REMORSE GONE

after so many years, its passive decay to the utmost, TK U MLJ LV NV

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Re: Anon 7/04/19

You said it best, you said it all. I'm with you, I've been there too. Signed: BTW

widowedidiotwidowedidiotover 4 years ago
Wow.

I really liked this story up until the end. What a coincedence that Michelle came back at just the right moment and divorced no less. And Tammy was wearing a Varsity jacket? And he never noticed it before until Michelle came back. He saw the look in her eyes in the driveway but the picture had to be enlarged for him to make out the Varsity jacket? This just ended up like all the other btw stories except the names were changed.

jtwheelsjtwheelsabout 4 years ago
1 star agree with Huedogg2 and common knowledge mumps can make you sterile

Kids yes bio dad would have little or no say after knowing and waiting

Sorry Charlie story sucks

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Didnt sit well with me

I get he was trying to be a nobel father but he could of done something about his wife and her lover. Instead he just made himself a long term cuck, couldn't feel bad for dude.

Artie88Artie88about 4 years ago
Not a good man

Dishonesty throughout.

How was he any better than she?

Neither are likable or admirable. Burn Both of Them.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago

Just move to a different city and you don't even have to talk about it, it just all ends, because her boyfriend can't be around. Of course most people would just talk about it and either end or open up the marriage. This guy chose option 3, the only bad option.

Was ok reading, but his reasoning was sideways.

jimjam69jimjam69over 3 years ago

Very good story and enjoyable read.

cybojicybojiover 3 years ago
Very good story

Characters are well developed and a great plot. 5 as always

iameaseliameaselalmost 3 years ago

Nope the premise was thoroughly ridiculous.

His response was thoroughly ridiculous

Those two facts derailed this whole thing.

whateverittakeswhateverittakesalmost 3 years ago

Ugh. Good lord, seventeen years??

Rancher46Rancher46almost 3 years ago

The last of this story is not clear on what happened to Tammy, did I understand it that he divorced Tammy married Michele and let Tammy come live with them?? If that is the case he needs his head examined.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

A good story but for me it fails simply because there's no explanation of why Tammy stayed married to Ted. Ted looks at the photo of Tammy at the end of the story and realises that he sees love in her eyes when she is looking up at Michael. If Tammy and Michael were in love and he wasn't just blackmailing her for sex then why didn't she divorce Ted and marry Michael. The story really fails for me in this respect just because it's not explained.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

The same old misplaced chivalry trope..."What I did still have though, were my kids". They weren't his kids. This device is intended to make the husband character sound "noble", but it really doesn't work. It wasn't as if he had found out when the kids were much older. Instead, he just lives as a literal cuckold, knowing he is raising another man's children as a result of paternity fraud.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

He had the VHS tape so he could have checked whether she was just lying there or being an active participant at any time.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

@Rancher46, "the three of us" are the MC, Michelle and Michelle's daughter. Pay attention.

nixroxnixroxover 2 years ago

1 star - cuck/wimp crap

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

He was a piece of shit and his wife was the victim. He wanted kids and he wanted money and got them both.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Yeah, it fell down on the I Didn't Enjoy It bullshit. So why was she off for a weekend, and why did remembering the car wreck make her cry? She should have been elated that her torment was ended. But then she's constantly bragging about her husband at work? Too contradictory; a lousy way to create suspense or drama or whatever. It all comes apart as a nonsense plot. She had her kids, she had her money, she had her lover, why stay with the man she didn't love nor respect? She lied about her affair until he forced her with evidence, so then she lied about the nature of the affair. She's only guilt of marrying a dumb shit. But at least he paid her back. That was good.

Thanks for the effort.

26thNC26thNCover 2 years ago

Lying bitch played him for a lot of years. Glad he finally got his happy ending.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Quit,! Not much of a man puts up with being cuckold for years. What a lesson in a manhood,!!! Kids knew for years and said?!!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

This man is awfully proud to be a cuckold

iameaseliameaselabout 2 years ago

This was a major crash and burn.

18 years of cliches, with the maimed wife and dead boyfriend, blah, blah, blah....yeah you've read too many LW stories and this one proves it.

Sometimes you write really good stories (with some lazy writing in parts) or we get one of these.

12
Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous