And The Horse You Rode In On

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"He's ready, mom. He just hasn't figured it out yet."

"I'll figure you out you little rascal." He grabbed for her but she eluded him as she ran into the front room laughing all the way.

Gerald crawled out of bed and grumbled all of the way to the front room. He looked at Gwen and said, "Have you ever thought about giving her back to the Indians?"

"Yes, I've thought about it but they wanted too much to take her. Wake up slowly and I'll keep her at bay."

"What time is it?"

"Almost 5:00."

"Jeez, I slept too long." Gerald went to the sink and got a drink of water. "OK, I think I am reasonably awake. What's going on?"

Cherilyn burst out, "Mom has a praline for you to try."

"OK, that is a good reason to wake me up."

"Cheri, don't put him on the spot like that." Gwen chided her daughter.

Gerald broke in, "No, she is right. I begged for a praline; it is time to taste the product. Where is it?"

Gwen gingerly held out a platter with quite a few on it. He took one and bit off a third of it and let his taste buds savor the taste. Then he ate the rest.

Cheri couldn't stand the wait, "Well?"

Gerald replied without opening his eyes, "No we won't sell them. I want all of them for myself." He opened his eyes and looked at Gwen. "Those are fabulous. We need to take them to market next week."

"Are you sure? I mean I just made these and...."

"I am sure. Let's make fifty and if we bring any home, I will buy them and eat them myself."

"Gerald, are you just teasing me?"

"No Gwen, they really are that good. Please? Let's give it a try."

She smiled shyly. "Alright, if you say so. I'll make them Thursday night."

"You won't be sorry."

"I've got dinner on and it will be ready in thirty minutes. Will you be there?"

"I never miss a chance to eat your cooking. But take your little Indian with you. I need some time alone first."

"Come on, little Indian; let's leave the man alone for a little while."

Cherilyn followed her mother with a huge grin on her face.

On Sunday, They sat down with her recipe and estimated the cost of each ingredient. Gerald added in the estimated labor per batch. When they finished, Gwen was surprised that for a batch of fifty, the cost was just over a dollar each. Gerald suggested that she sell them for $3 each or two for $5. At first, she thought that was a little steep but Gerald suggested that she start there and if it was too high, she could adjust it as the day went on. She finally deferred to his judgment.

On Thursday, she and Cherilyn made the candy and on Friday, they put them in plastic bags with a label Gerald made and added a ribbon just for looks. She had several broken one which she offered to Gerald. He told her to break them into smaller pieces and bring them to the market for people to taste.

On Saturday, she stood nervously behind the table with Gerald and Cherilyn waiting for the first customer to arrive at their table. It turned out to be one of the teachers from her school.

"Hi Gwen, Cherilyn. I haven't seen you here before."

"Hi, Linda. That is because this is my first day."

"So what do you have? Oh, pralines. I love pralines."

"Here, try a bit and see if you like it. It is my grandmother's recipe."

"Oh honey, this is to die for. How much are they?"

She let out a breath and said, "$3 each or two for $5."

Without batting an eye, her fellow teacher said, "I want four" and handed her a $10 bill.

"You are going to have a hit on your hands, girl. Take care and I'll see you Monday."

Gwen's hand shook slightly as she put the bill in the large envelope that Gerald had given her for the money. Then she looked up to find Gerald and Cherilyn grinning at her. Cherilyn gave her mom a hug and Gerald shook her hand, congratulating her on her first sale.

It wasn't her last sale either. By the time Gerald sold his last loaf of bread, she had already sold her last bag of candy and she astounded at the reception her pralines had received. Then she heard Cherilyn say, "Here she comes." Gerald pulled a loaf of bread and a large jar of beans from under the counter and set them on the table.

"Good day to you Maxine."

"Hello Gerald. Hello Cherilyn. How did the market go today?"

"Very well, we almost sold everything but I've got a couple of things left over for you."

"Thank you Gerald, you don't know how much I appreciate everything you do for us."

"Well today I have a special treat for you today. This is Cherilyn's mom. Her name is Gwen and she made some pralines and brought some today to give away to see if people liked them. I think she has one left." Gwen looked embarrassed until she saw one sitting on the table next to Cherilyn's hand.

Gwen smiled and handed the bag to Maxine. "It is a pleasure to meet you, Maxine. Cherilyn has mentioned you often. Please try my praline and tell me if you like it." She held it out towards her.

Maxine was hesitant. "I would love to try it but I don't know if I should. I'm supposed to watch my sugar."

Gerald took the candy and broke it in half and then broke each half in half. "There, now you can split each piece in half and each of you can have a little piece. There isn't much sugar in a little piece. Then the two of you can have a piece every other day."

Maxine smiled and said, "That makes sense. Now, if I can just keep my husband from stealing the other pieces." She took the candy from Gwen's hand and put it in her basket.

Gwen responded, "Put it in a bowl on a shelf with your dishes, not in the pantry. That's where I hide them from Cherilyn. They never look in the dish cabinet."

Maxine got a sneaky grin on her face. "That's a good idea. He knows all of my hiding places in the pantry but never looks in the dish cabinet."

"Good and please let me know how you like it."

"I will."

"Oh and Maxine, I think Donna said she had a lot of potatoes and green beans today. I don't think she expected to sell everything." Gerald added.

"Thank you all. I better get on with my shopping. It is nice to meet you Gwen." The she walked slowly in her dignified manner down the way toward Donna's stand.

When she was far enough away, Gwen said, "I intended to keep a couple of bags back like you said but I forgot. Where did that one come from?"

Gerald said with a straight face, "Your daughter has become a slight of hand master." Cherilyn grinned up at her mother. Gwen gave her a big hug and kiss.

After they finished packing up, Gerald announced "Chinese buffet for lunch." Cherilyn made a face but said nothing. Gwen was thrilled because she hadn't had Chinese food in a long time.

She looked Gerald square in the eye and said, "Only if it is my treat."

"Deal."

In the truck, Cherilyn remained quiet. Gwen said, "Why are you quiet, honey? Don't you like Chinese food?"

"It's too hot and spicy." Gwen looked at Gerald for an explanation.

"We have only been a couple of times, so she hasn't found anything that she likes yet. She puts the mustard on the egg rolls and it usually brings tears to her eyes. Today, little one, I want you to try the orange or sesame chicken and don't put any mustard or sauce on it. I think you will like it better."

"I'll try Gerald, but if I don't like it, I don't want to come again, please."

"OK, you try the chicken today and if you don't like it, we won't come back."

When they arrived, Gerald led her to the trays with the two chicken dishes. "They are like chicken nuggets with sauce on them. Try some of each and see what you think."

She put a spoonful of each on her plate along with rice and some vegetables. Gerald put several spoonfuls of the sesame chicken on his plate along with some spicy shrimp and some vegetables. Gwen was happy and put four different entrees on her plate of rice. Once the sat down, Cherilyn nervously stabbed a piece of chicken and bit into it. Her eyes brightened immediately and she said, "Hey, this is good and it isn't hot."

Both Gwen and Gerald nodded and smiled. Their mouths were too full to say anything. Cherilyn eventually went back two more times for more chicken.

When they arrived at home, Gwen and Gerald sat down and counted their day's earnings. Gerald had made a little over $200 with his bread and beans. Gwen was tickled to see that she had made $130 from her pralines.

"Gerald, I was thinking about what Maxine said. Next week I think I will make the big ones but also some small ones and put six or eight small ones in a bag. A lot of parents might like small pieces for their kids and older people probably don't need a big dose of sugar like that. What do you think?" She looked up at him and saw nothing but smile. She grinned.

"Gwen, I think you just caught the spirit of going to the market. I would suggest fifty big ones and start out with twenty five bags of small pieces. I think you just added to your market."

"I was also thinking about putting a name on them like you do. What do you think about 'Gerald's Favorite Treat'?"

Gerald grimaced, "How about 'Grandma's Best'?"

Gwen grinned at his shyness. "I'll think about it."

The next Saturday, Gwen introduced "Grandma's Best Pralines" and "Grandma's Praline Bits." She sold out her entire lot. This time she made an extra ten bags of bits to use as samples and set asides for special people. When they counted money later, she was surprised that to find that she made $25 more than the previous week even allowing for the added small packages.

When she asked Gerald about it, he replied, "The first week what did most people buy?"

"Most people bought two pralines."

"Right. So you didn't really sell them for $3 each; you sold them for $2.50 each. This week you sold one large one at $3 and one small one at $2.50. So you actually sold most of your bags for $2.75 each. It will vary from week to week but that will probably be the pattern. I wouldn't worry about it too much. Make the candy that you think you can sell that week and be happy with the results."

"I am thrilled at the results; I am just trying to figure out how things turn out like they do."

"The start a sheet and each week write down to number of big ones you sold and the number of small bags and the total amount of money you made. Follow the average price per bag and that will show you where you should be. I would guess that your average price should be around $2.75. But try it and see where it goes."

"Should I make more for next week?"

"You sold fifty big ones; could you have sold more?"

"No, I don't think so. I probably could have sold more of the small bags."

"Then stay with fifty big ones and add ten or fifteen small bags. Ideally, I think that you want to sell your last bag during the last hour and have nothing to bring home. That doesn't happen very often but that would be your goal. If you think you can sell more, add a few more but not a lot. If you don't sell as many or if the weather looks bad, cut back some. You kind of develop a feel for things as time goes on."

"That makes sense. I'll add ten of the bits next week."

Gwen was really thrilled especially as the spring wore on. She was regularly making around $150 per week and after expenses, she was adding about $400 per month to her monthly income. She decided to put half of her earnings in savings and for the first time in a long time, she felt the monthly bill paying stress go down.

Late in May, Gwen called Gerald from school and asked him to come over for dinner that night but wouldn't say why. He didn't think a lot about it but went. Gwen and Cherilyn had prepared steaks and baked potatoes and they enjoyed the dinner. When dinner was over, Jim picked up Cherilyn and took she and Jenny to the movies, something that had been a rare treat for Cherilyn.

When they left, Gwen poured Gerald a glass of wine and said, "Tonight is actually a celebration but I couldn't talk to you about it until after Cheri left."

"Oh, what are we celebrating?"

"We got the test scores back from the tests. All but one of the students you tutored passed and Duane and Roberto got really good math scores."

Gerald smiled, and then said."I'm surprised that Roberto passed. I never had the feeling that he was getting what we were talking about."

"We will probably never know. His brother got arrested in a drug bust and his family moved away a week later. Rumor says that they went back across the border but I don't know for sure."

"Well, I hope that he learned something from that. Who didn't pass?"

"Suzy missed passing by one point. The good news is that your method was working in class but she was so far behind, she couldn't make it all up. But this is the best score that she has ever made on the state tests. The psychologist had her reevaluated and she now has a learning disability code and will be able to take the tests with accommodations. She is going to re-take the test next week and her teacher thinks she will pass it this time."

"Now that is really good news. I am proud of her."

"Gerald, we are celebrating what you did for these kids. Every one of them was underperforming. It was your efforts and patience that made the difference. He principal wants to know if you will come in two mornings a week next year and start working with the kids earlier."

"Tell the principal that I would be pleased to come in. I kind of enjoyed working with the kids."

"I told you that you should be a teacher."

"From all of the things you tell me that you have to do, I would probably be decent teacher in the class room but they would fire me because I wouldn't be good with all of the other stuff."

'If that were the case, they would fire us all."

For the rest of the summer, the three of them and frequently joined by Jennifer worked the gardens, made bread and pralines, and went to market on Saturdays. Gwen met with the lawyer the day after school let out and because of the nature of the situation, he felt said that the divorce would be simple, inexpensive, and quick. He expected that it would be final early in August well before school started. All of this made Gwen breathe easier.

Jim and Pam were going to be busy most of the summer and a vacation didn't appear likely for the Sander's family. In late June, Gerald mentioned to Gwen that he knew a guy who had an RV to rent and he wondered if she would be interested in taking the girls to the coast for a week. The RV had two bedrooms and the sofa made into a bed. It had a nice kitchen and they could make the trip very inexpensively. It didn't take her long to agree and they planned to go the week before school started. The girls were excited and Jim and Pam agreed to the plan. The week didn't last long enough for the girls but they came home exhausted while Gerald and Gwen came home very refreshed. It had been the first get away for either of them in over five years.

The next year passed quickly and relatively uneventfully compared to previous years. Gerald helped the girls as they began studying Algebra. As usual, he took the mystery out of it for them and they flourished throughout the year. The biggest event came in early summer, when Gerald was approached by a company about buying the recipe and rights to his Lawman beans. Gerald offered the same kind of arrangement as the bread deal. When things were finalized, he would receive royalties for seven years but took a one-time payment for the use of the name. He could still sell beans at the market but they wanted him to change the name he used. He agreed and his Lawman beans became Gerald's beans.

He rented the RV again and this time they drove west where the girls got to see mountains and deserts and the old west. All told, they traveled for eight days through seven states and the girls added more chapters to their travel journal which they had kept up since their trip to the east coast with Jim and Pam.

For Christmas, Cherilyn and Gwen had bought Gerald a television although a small one. He thanked them profusely but found that he seldom turned it on except for occasional weather and news reports and baseball games in the summer. He had bought them a new washer and dryer as their washer was dying and Gwen had not had a dryer before. She was ecstatic at not having to hang their clothes on the outdoor line, especially in the winter.

They celebrated New Years with smiles and with Jim, Pam and Jennifer. Everyone felt blessed that their lives were going so well.

Years Six, Seven, and Eight

The next three years were almost like a blur for Gwen and Gerald with little trauma or special events. It was totally different for the girls as they began the transition from elementary/middle school into junior high and high school. In the eighth grade they could participate in school sports and both girls joined the volleyball and softball teams. Jennifer had had a growth spurt and stood almost 5'7"while Cherilyn stayed at 5'4" for another year. After learning to adjust to her new height, Jennifer became a leader on the volleyball team. Cherilyn became the digger and would hit the floor frequently saving a shot or an errant pass. Later in the year, Cherilyn's compact size made her a tough out at bat in softball. Jennifer's taller and lankier body was better suited to defense and she starred as the first baseman who seldom missed a throw or a hit. Although he had to miss some games for work, Jim along with Pam and Gwen and Gerald attended almost all of their games in both sports. After the games, they often went together for pizza or burgers. For almost the entire school year, Cherilyn sported bruised or battered legs from her aggressive volleyball and softball style. Jennifer stayed tall and a little awkward for the year. But both girls always had time to spend with Gerald as he continued to guide them in the academic world.

Gerald had his first major awakening when he went to pick Cherilyn up for the Valentine's Day Father/Daughter dinner. When Gwen walked her out, he really saw for the first time that she was no longer a young girl but a beautiful young woman. She had a figure and makeup and looked so much like her mother. Gerald just gawked at the change he had just experienced.

"Earth to Gerald, aren't you going to say something?" Cherilyn finally asked with a grin.

"I...I don't know what to say. What happened to Cherilyn? She grew up into a beautiful young woman overnight." Cherilyn giggled her usual giggle and Gwen just beamed. She then took pictures of them alone and together. Gerald had once again made her corsage and she had made him another medallion in her art class. This one was more polished than the first and was made out of clay and glazed. He liked it very much but nothing ever took the place of the first one she had given him. He now had three medallions for his wall.

His second shock was when they met Jim and this tall, beautiful woman at the school. All he could say was "Jennifer?"

"Hi Gerald, what do you think? Will we pass inspection?"

"That only way you won't pass inspection is if someone is blind. You two are just....just beautiful. I don't know any other way to put it."

Jim replied, "Gerald, I know where you can get a good shotgun for cheap." It took a moment before Gerald caught on and then he replied, "I might just take you up on that."

The dinner was the best one they had tasted in three years and once again they danced a couple of dances before the girls took the floor as their own. Gerald and Jim talked small talk while the girls danced.

"Gerald, it has been three years since we took that vacation up the east coast. Pam and I have been talking about taking a week this summer and going on a cruise or to Cancun. Do you think Cherilyn would like to go and would Gwen let her go?"

"Boy that is a big one. I imagine Cheri would die to go. I expect that Gwen will be concerned about the cost."

"I figured. Don't say anything to her yet. Pam is getting information together but it looks like the difference between three and four is pretty small. We would have two cabins either way. We would drive to the coast and board the ship there so there isn't an airplane ride. I expect that we can make it affordable for her."

1...89101112...17