And The Horse You Rode In On

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

From that day onward, Gerald used every opportunity to ask them about some aspect of Geometry. The girls got to the point where they tried to catch Gerald by asking him about different shapes and different uses of things. When they finally got to their high school Geometry class, he was surprised at how easily the two inseparable girls were able to breeze through Geometry while the others struggled trying to understand the concepts.

Friday night he was at Gwen's house for dinner, Cherilyn asked a simple question that turned into a major discussion. Cherilyn asked, "Gerald, how did you get to be so smart?" Gerald lowered his head.

Gwen responded quickly, "Honey, that isn't a good question to ask someone. It might embarrass them."

"It's alright Gwen; I'm not embarrasses to answer her if she wants to know. I don't know if she is old enough to understand yet but let me try."

Gwen smiled at him and nodded.

"Cheri, I guess I was pretty bright in school when I was your age and in high school. I wasn't the best in any class. There were always people who were better than I was but I did OK. It was in college when things changed. I started off majoring in one thing but after a couple of years, I began to lose interest in it and so I changes majors to another subject that I liked. By the time I graduated, I had gone through four majors. I discovered that I liked a lot of different subjects but wasn't interested in any one subject enough to devote myself to just one subject. I discovered that I was what they call a generalist. I like a lot of subjects and like to learn about a lot of different things."

Cherilyn asked, "What is a major?"

Gwen replied, "In college they want you to pick a subject to take more classes in. This is your major subject. You also usually have a minor which is a secondary subject that you are interested in."

"Oh."

Gerald continued, "These subjects usually lead to your career. A doctor often majors in Biology and minors in Chemistry. Your mom probably majored in Education and then minored in a subject or two that she teaches."

"Actually, I majored in Elementary Education. I started out to be a science teacher but in college, I found that I really liked teaching reading. So I specialized in reading and now I am a reading specialist."

Gerald continued, "She didn't change majors exactly but she changed her area of specialization. I changed my major entirely. I went from engineering to history to political science and finally I graduated with a major in English and a minor in history."

"Wow, no wonder you are so smart."

"Actually, I learned things just like you are now. I took the classes; some I like better than others. As I got older and learned more, I found that I like parts of everything but not enough to spend all of my time on one subject."

"I'll bet that it is easy for you to find a job, isn't it?" Cheri asked.

"Not really. At one time people wanted to hire people like me with a broad education who could learn about all of the parts of their business. Now, they want people who specialize in one or two subjects. People like me aren't that important in business anymore."

"But you are so good at so many things."

"Thanks, sweetie. There are probably people somewhere who are like that, but..... Anyway, I am happy where I am, doing what I do. And that is the important thing for me and should be for you. When you go to college, you might want to major in one thing. Maybe that will stay with you and maybe you will take another class that really excites you. When you find that subject, that is what you should probably pursue. There are a lot of subjects and careers out there that you have never heard of. One of them may be the one that you were meant to be. So start out pursuing whatever you like but keep your eyes and ears open, something might just creep in and grab your mind and attention and you will go 'WOW.' When that happens, you have found what makes you happy."

Gwen just sat there listening as Gerald told Cherilyn in a couple of dozen words what she had been telling her for months. It also told her volumes about Gerald and the way he thought and worked. He became much clearer to her now.

When dinner was over, Cherilyn went to finish her homework and Gwen and Gerald took coffee to the porch and sat.

"Thank you, Gerald. I have been talking to her about a lot of those things but have never felt like it made any sense to her."

Gerald smiled, "I had the advantage. I think teachers call tonight a teaching moment. A subject comes up that is important to a child and you take that moment and fill it with as much as you can. Three days from now, the subject won't be as important and the moment is gone."

"You are that smart, aren't you?"

"Actually, I have been told I was smart all my life but it didn't mean much because I was always surrounded by people who were smarter or faster to learn that I was. That plus the fact that I have an insatiable curiosity about things has kind of made me into what I am. I still don't know how smart I am; I know that I know a lot of things. Everything is important to someone but not everything is important to everyone. I quit trying to compare myself to others. I just do what I do and accept the results."

"Well in my mind, you are plenty smart and I admire you for it." She took a moment and then said, "I decided that I am going to visit the prison again and talk to him once more. If he hasn't changed his mind, I will probably file for divorce this summer. I don't want to deal with it during school."

"Gwen, you have been patient and I know that you have thought this through. If this is the time, you will know. You should know that you have my support."

"I know. I wasn't asking for your approval, I just wanted you to know what I decided. After I visit the prison, I will tell Cheri. I'm not sure how she will take it."

"I expect that she will be confused. We can find a way to work through it."

"Thanks. That is what I needed to hear."

Two weeks later, Gwen went to the prison and Cherilyn stayed with Gerald for the day. They worked the market in the morning and went shopping after lunch. When they got home, Cherilyn sat next to him on the porch and began to talk.

"Gerald, I think mom is going to talk to daddy about a divorce. I know that she has been thinking about it. I've seen some of the websites she has read."

"And what do you think about that possibility?"

"I'm not sure. I know daddy won't be getting out for a long time and I know that mom is lonely a lot of time when you aren't there. Jenny and I talked about it and she says that by the time daddy gets out, she will be old and maybe even then they wouldn't be happy. I think that maybe she should so she can be happy. When he gets out, he and I can still see each other if he wants to see me. He asked mom to not bring me to see him anymore. He doesn't want me to see the prison and how he lives. What do you think?"

"I agree with what you have said but I also would add that your mom is probably trying to figure out what is best for the both of you. Her decision won't be just about her. If I were you, I would try to have a talk with her and tell her how you feel. Just realize that it will be a change for both of you and you both will have to make adjustments."

"I know; you will still be there for us, won't you?"

"Of course, I will."

"I knew that but I wanted to hear you say it."

They cleaned up a few things and then started dinner. They decided on roast chicken with rice and vegetables and sesame rolls Gerald had dough in the freezer for. They timed dinner for 7:00 because Gwen had said that she expected to be back around 6:00. At 5:00 Gerald started the grill and as the fire just got going, Gwen drove up. Gerald had a suspicion that things hadn't gone well. As she got out of the car, he went to her and asked quietly, "Do you need to talk?"

She replied quietly, "Not now; maybe later." They went inside and Cherilyn gave her a hug and a glass of tea. She had one for her and for Gerald and they sat in the living room. After a few minutes of small talk, Cherilyn took the floor.

"So mom, are you and daddy going to get a divorce?" Gwen looked stricken and looked a Gerald. "Gerald didn't tell me anything. I talked to him and he told me that I should talk to you. I know that you have been thinking about it, so what did daddy say?"

An almost sigh of relief passed over Gwen as if a weight had been lifted. "He was pretty blunt. He said for me to get it done and to not come see him anymore. He said that he would decide about seeing you after he gets out of if he gets out. He has been in more trouble and has lost most of his good behavior time."

There was a tear in Cherilyn's eye but her voice didn't betray her sadness. "I kind of expected that. I told Gerald and I'll tell you now, I think that this is best for you. I have you and Gerald and I am happy. When he gets out will be after I am grown and I will decide then what I will do. I think that we should at least meet and talk but until then, I have too much to do. So I think that you should just do what he wants. I know that you will feel happier and that will make me happier."

Gwen replied, "When did you grow up so much?"

"Gerald says that you are always growing up and learning new things. Sometimes they aren't what you want but you still grow and get what you need." She paused and then said, "Gerald, isn't it time to put on the chicken?"

Gerald smiled and went outside to put the chicken on the grill. When he came back inside, Cherilyn was sitting in her mother's lap and they were hugging each other. Gerald went to the kitchen and began setting the table and checking the rolls and vegetables. Then he went back outside to turn the chicken. When he re-entered the house, he was met by Cherilyn who wrapped her arms around his neck and gave him a big hug. She whispered in his ear, "I love you, daddy." When he stood up there was a tear in his eye and he was caught by surprise when Gwen put her arms around his neck and whispered, "I don't know what happened but this couldn't have been better. Thank you for being you."

This happy moment almost caused the rolls and the chicken to burn but they broke it up before any serious damage was done to the meal. Gerald broke out a bottle of white wine and poured them each a glass. Cherilyn asked if she could try some. After a nod from Gwen, he poured her a half of a glass. She sipped it and smiled. "It tastes like apples." She said.

After dinner, Gwen spoke again. "On the drive back, I made another decision. I am going to do this after school is out. But I don't want to teach summer school while I am wrestling it. So Gerald can I help you and Cheri with the gardening, baking, and market this summer?"

"Why are you asking; of course, you can. I'm sure Cheri is getting tired of working with me."

"I am not you old bag. I love working with you. Mom, why don't you come to market with us tomorrow? It will be fun."

"I don't know what to do."

"You just stand there and talk to people. If they ask you questions you don't know, you ask Gerald."

"Well as long as it is alright with you, Gerald?"

"We leave at eight and don't be late or the train will leave you at the gate." He replied smiling.

Cherilyn giggled and then said, "Mom, this summer you can make your pralines and sell them. No one there is selling them."

Gerald put on his indignant face and said, "Gwen Lambert! We have known each other for four years and this is the first time I have even heard that you make pralines! I'm mortified. If I had known this, I would have you make them so I could have them for breakfast." Then he smiled. Cherilyn giggled. Gwen looked embarrassed.

"I've made them for special occasions but I never thought about making them to sell. I use a recipe that my grandmother gave me and they are good. But pecans are so expensive right now. I don't know."

"Cheri, this is what they mean when they say adults are waffling around. They want to do something but they are afraid to try and they make all kinds of excuses to not do it. Waffling."

"OK, smart man!" she said indignantly. "I will make a batch after we get home tomorrow and you can be the judge if I should make them." Gwen was embarrassed but strangely she was also pleased that they were teasing her into doing something. She actually thought that hers were better than the ones at the store.

"Besides, I just happen to know a man with three big pecan trees. They are native pecans and are smaller than the ones that the wholesalers want. He can't sell them and would be more than happy to have someone take them off his hands. But I warn you, I think they taste better than the ones from the store." He went to his cabinet and brought out a sack full of nuts and handed it to her.

Cherilyn laughed and said, "Now you have no excuse. Yea, mom."

Gwen looked at her with a smile, "Alright smart girl, then you get to crack and shell them." Then she laughed along with the other two.

Cherilyn asked, "Gerald, do you have a nut cracker?"

Gerald got up and handed one to her. She got busy cracking pecans. Gerald and Gwen went out to the porch with their coffee.

"Gerald, I don't know about selling pralines. I mean how much should I charge and how many should I make? I just don't know."

"Gwen, when I took my first batch of bread to the market, I was desperate and I had never done anything like that before. It turned out alright. If you don't try, you will never know if it might work. If you do try, you will either find that people will like them or they won't. Either way, you will know what to do; make more or stop trying. As for the rest, you make a batch tomorrow and keep track of how long it takes from start to finish and how much you spend on ingredients. I'll sit down with you and show you what it costs and we can come up with a price. Try it once or twice; you have nothing to lose."

"OK, if you will help me."

"You are a teacher and I know that you are constantly telling students to just try to do the work and that they will learn. You promise them that. I am promising you that if you try, something will happen and it might be good, very good. Tomorrow at the market, just walk around and look at what people are trying to sell. Look at their prices. Look at how much they sell. Some people do very well; others don't. Just keep an open mind and see what is happening and what is not happening. You will learn something, I guarantee it."

"Gerald, you are the most positive person I have ever met. I will give it a try. Thank you for your support."

"I'm finished!" Came Cherilyn's voice from the door.

"Thirty minutes for the sack. Did you throw the shells away?"

"No Gerald, I didn't. I know that you want to put them in the compost bin."

"Good girl." He turned to Gwen, "I like to recycle things whenever I can."

The next morning, they set up the table for the morning and began the day. Gwen wandered off as Gerald had suggested and looked at different booths. She saw people selling everything from fruits and vegetables to soap to cookies and cakes. Some booths had lots of people while others had few people. As the morning went on, she saw people carrying bags of all sorts of things. She was surprised that the lady selling soap did a very good business. One lady was selling fudge and seemed to be selling quite a bit. The people selling jewelry and handmade items seemed to have a lot of lookers but few buyers. She saw all of this but wasn't sure exactly what it all meant.

She finally returned to Gerald table. He was selling his last loaf of bread and only had two jars of beans left. Then she heard Cherilyn tell him, "Here she comes."

She saw a little old woman with a cane and a shopping cart walk slowly up to his table.

"Hi, Maxine. How are you today?"

The woman replied, "Pretty good, Gerald, thanks for asking. Do you have anything left for me?"

"I do. I have two jars of beans and several buns. Nobody seemed to want them today. I can let you have them for three dollars."

"That would be good. Thank you Gerald, we sure do like your food. It helps us a lot that we can have your leftovers."

"Maxine, you know that I will always take care of you."

"I know, Gerald. It is so hard to make ends meet but people like you make it easier on us."

"Go down and see George. I think he has some lettuce and carrots today that no one wants."

The old woman handed him three crumpled dollars and said thanks again and walked down the way to a produce booth at the end of the aisle.

Gerald and Cherilyn were breaking down the table and putting it in Gerald's truck as Gwen walked up.

Gerald asked, "Are you ready for lunch? Cheri wants Mexican; how about you?"

"That girl is going to overdose on tacos. Mexican is fine. How did you do today?"

"Sold everything. I could probably have sold five more loaves of bread, if I had them. I promised several people that I would save some special for them next week."

"But I heard you tell that last woman, Maxine, that those buns you sold her nobody wanted."

Cherilyn answered, "Mom, Gerald makes bread specially for her and sets it aside until she comes by. He always tells her that no one wanted it today. He does the same with the jars of beans. He would give it to her but she insists on paying for it. George has some carrots and lettuce set aside for her too. Several people here do that."

Before Gwen could say anything, Gerald responded with a shrug, "That is one of the things that makes this feel good. I make and sell about twenty loaves of bread each week but I bring twenty five. There are a number of elderly and poor people that can't afford anything here. Some of us just make sure that they get something to help them out. Maxine is one of them."

"I saw some people who didn't sell a lot of stuff."

"Those people try to sell everything at full price. Most of the regular buyers here know who is working with people and who isn't. They will buy from those people first. The others depend on newcomers or visitors. They do alright or they wouldn't come back. It is kind of like the regulars take care of us and we take care of those who need help. Nobody talks about it, but everyone seems to know about it. Everyone makes their own choice on how to operate."

"So if I were to sell pralines, I could give some away or discount some for special people?"

"That is your choice, Gwen."

"Mom, when Maxine first started coming by, Gerald would give me a pen and tell me to scribble over the label. That way he could tell her that some kid ruined a jar of beans or a loaf of bread. Now he just tells her that he didn't sell everything. I think she knows but she lets Gerald go through his act and she goes through hers. It's kind of cute really."

"So you sell for real but also provide some things to others to help out."

"I guess you could put it that way. I don't think about it at all. I just do it because it is the right thing to do."

"You are so Gerald."

Cherilyn laughed at that as they pulled into the parking lot of the Mexican restaurant.

The last thing Gwen said before they ordered was, "I'm glad you told me to look around and see what was going on. I liked that. I still have a lot of questions, but now I want to see how the pralines will be received."

"Good choice" was Gerald's simple response.

After lunch, they went to the store and Gwen bought what she needed to make the pralines. Gerald dropped the two girls off at their house and went home to take a nap. He was roused awake by Cherilyn using his bed as a trampoline.

"Wake up old man, wake up. Momma has a present for you."

"If you jump one more time, I'm going to give your momma present of your head not attached to your body."

From the front room they heard, "Cheri, leave him alone. He will get up when he is ready."

1...7891011...17