Aurion Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

In warfare, mounted archery is their main weapon. Most of their horsemen wear thick boiled leather scale or lamellar armor which gives protection superior to what most believe. Their heavy troopers, called Cataphracts were covered head to toe with steel scale armor. Even their mounts were covered in the overlapping steel scaled set into a heavy silk and rawhide backing. In addition to their swords, they wielded large lances with two hands since their heavy armor allowed them to carry no shield. In the melee after the charge, the Cataphracts often brought out one-piece solid steel flanged Maces that battered and crushed through even armored foes. It was their job to charge the enemy after they had been weakened by storms of arrows shot from bows with armor piercing heads and shield piercing strength, often nailing enemy shields to arms and feet to the ground. Their fleet nature and fast horses ensured that they could stay out of their enemies reach. If the enemy sent horsemen out to deal with them, they simply rode away and after they had pulled the enemy horsemen away from support, they spun in the saddle and started loosing arrows over their horses hindquarters right into the faces of the chasing horsemen. They would cut into the enemy cavalry until they finally gave up the chase and headed back, but by then they were easy prey with their wounded bodies and tired mounts. The Xia light horse would then wheel and chase down the now fleeing enemy cavalry, who often succumbed to the arrow storm before the Xia even fully caught up.

It was the way of the steppe warrior and Michael knew it well. He had no idea just how he knew it, but he did. He was also familiar with some of their ways and laws. He was actually betting on his knowledge so he hoped this would work. Otherwise it might get painful, to say the least. He knew he would've been spotted and an alarm raised already if it Talasa hadn't succeeded in neutralizing their over watching scouts. She was not happy to be left behind by him, though she daren't say so. He was betting whatever poor souls were up in those hills tonight bore the brunt of her wrath.

As he passed through the camp, he attracted a few odd looks before the people realized he wasn't supposed to be there right about the time he had approached the Khan's Ger. The eruption of activity from the camp drew the old Khan outside. His face held a puzzled expression as he beheld Michael, before he crushed up with an iron will and summoned back his cold face.

"Lord Khan, my name is Michael and I have come to offer you my aid for the coming storm."

"We need no help and I don't want any from you in any case. Now, be gone." He dismissed, turning to return to his ger.

"I assume you know about the Demon hordes coming from the north? I don't think the empire will be much inclined to help the Xia when they hear of how your son kidnapped the Lady of the North and heir to the wardenship for his own personal gain. No doubt he thinks he can marry the Lady and acquire her land and titles. However, we both know he would never be able to defend on keep his holdings in the coming invasion. Even if he could, there is no way the Empire will allow him to bully his way into ruling the North. That probably won't matter since any humans who do not unite WILL be slaughtered. I can see that you're a wise man and therefore I doubt that Im telling you nothing that you haven't already realized." Michael said. At the Khan's silence, he continued, "Order your son to release the lady and move your camp south to join in an alliance. I give you..."

"We want nothing from you! Who are you to come dictate our actions!" A voice rang out from the gathering crowd.

Michael turned to see a younger man approaching with a face of petulant fury, presumably the troublesome Prince he had come to deal with. Behind him, in chains, he dragged a tall woman by a collar. Michael realized this must be the Lady. She was a vision. At over six feet tall but thin and toned, her slim build didn't prevent her from having wide womanly hips that flared from graceful, long legs. Her breasts were obviously prominent but currently concealed from view by the baggy tunic she had been forced to wear. She stared daggers at everyone except Michael, whom she eyed suspiciously.

Michael flashed a brilliant smile at her and bowed, showing the respect due a woman of her station. "My lady, my name is Michael. I am honored to meet you. I offer my most sincere condolences for your brother and father's heroic sacrifice."

"Do not speak to my wife without my permission!" The Prince yelled.

"She's not your wife. A marriage requires consent from both parties. Not to mention, a real man would never keep a wife in chains, especially one as strong and intelligent the Lady here. No, you are not a man. You are a petulant boy who will be the death of his people. And all because your ambition exceeds your ability." Michael casually replied.

"You dare to speak to me thus!" the Prince responded.

Michael just ignored him and addressed the lady, "My lady, you are indeed fortunate to have such an impressive male specimen desire your hand. However, I must still beg you consider my offer. I would be quite proud to have you accept my offer to become my betrothed," he leaned close and quietly said, "however briefly", before winking and clueing the Lady in to the fact that he would have no expectations and was simply trying to turn the situation to their advantage.

"I'll kill you!" Shouted the Prince, reaching for his sword.

"Then challenge me!"Michael's voice boomed, startling everyone there in it's sudden volume.

The Prince sneered, "Very well. I challenge you for your life, your slaves and all your holdings. Now prepare to die!"

"Very well. I accept your challenge. After all, I cannot allow you to doom your people. Not to mention the fact that only cowards prey upon their own kind in times of misfortune. You're nothing more than a weak opportunist. Now, cone show me that pathetic strength." Michael taunted.

The Prince gave a shriek of rage and yelled, "Draw your sword or I'll cut you down where you stand!"

Michael casually reached down and drew his sword. However, instead of taking up a fighting stance he simply layer the sword on the ground. Then he looked at the Prince and gave a cocky smile and waved him forward.

The Prince bellowed incoherently and charged forward as the crowd got ready for a lengthy duel between their confident Prince and this mysterious warrior who appears from the plains in the middle of the night, wearing exotic armaments that they had never before seen. They were about to be surprised.

The Prince, dressed in fur-lined silk robes lunged forward and swung his curved scimitar for Michael's neck in an attempt to decapitate him early. Moving faster than their eyes could track, Michael's empty hand shot forward with forefinger and thumb extended to the front. His fingers impacted with a sickening crunch long before the Prince's swing was even at it's apex. Immediately, the Prince froze, his body locked up and limbs not responding to his commands. He realized he couldn't breathe as his face took on a surprised expression. Michael took a pace backwards as the Prince began sway without the control of his legs. As his inevitable forward fall began, Michael swiftly snatched the Princes sword from his hands and planted the sword, hilt first, into the ground so it's blade protruded upwards-right in the path of the toppling Prince.

A split second before the Prince was impaled on his own sword, Michael said, "I accept your defeat in this duel, along with all of your wealth, women and holdings." The Princes eyes widened as he realized this really was the end for him. He didn't have long to contemplate though, as the lifeblood left him.

"It appears the Prince could not live with the dishonor associated with his recent actions," Michael said, looking at the still shocked Khan, "Lord Khan, you are indeed fortunate that you had such a son who would sacrifice his life to preserve your family's honor."

It was obvious that few mourned the Prince's passing, as he was a bully and a petty man who used his position in place of merit or skill. Though the Khan was grieved to lose his eldest son, he recognized the favor Michael had done by not killing his son with his sword but instead assisting in a "suicide". This allowed the Prince to be remembered and spoken of in a slightly better light, it preserved the Khan's family honor as well as preventing any retribution from the Empire for his son's impulsive kidnapping of the Lady, who now wore a shocked look along with the rest of those assembled.

"My condolences for your loss, Lord Khan." He said genuinely. "However, if the Lady accepts my proposal, we will need to be quickly moving. After all, the North must be prepared for the war to come."

Right as the Khan opened his mouth to speak, a terrible laugh echoed loudly through the camp before a large climb of black flame erupted in the midst of the assembled people, sending people scampering back, screaming, from what was obviously a full fledged Demon. It had seemingly just materialized, a huge Taurodaemon standing taller than a Jotun frost giant or a Minotaur. Taurodaemon's are, in large part, responsible for the bad name Minotaurs suffer, as there are some superficial similarities that could be confused under the cover of night or in the confusion of violence.

The two men from the Keshig, Royal Guard, standing besides the Khan charged forward in an attempt to end the threat standing in front of their Khan. The Daemon laughed as their curved scimitars shattered on contact with the bulging muscles of it's unholy flesh. A disdainful backhand from the Taurodaemon crushed the helmeted heads of both guards, their skulls fairing about as well as a bear batting sparrow's head.

He turned to the terrified Khan and said, "Worry not. I'm not here to harm your people. After all, your warriors will serve me as fine cavalry. No, I am only here to finish what I started when I slaughtered the Warden of the North and his pathetic son." He said, gesturing to the Lady Diana.

The lady was terrified but knew well how to keep it under control (though it was hard in the face of this giant monster, the likes of which hadn't been seen on Aurion since the days of the Draco Wars millennia earlier. However, the fact that this thing killed her family and destroyed her home helped her to steel her resolve. Plus, if this thing was going to send her to meet her father and her brother, she was going to go down fighting. Maybe when the southern lords hear that an unarmed noblewoman could fight, they'd finally stop squabbling and unite for a common cause for once.

Her face grew scarlet with rage as the Demon drew an enormous sword. It was a giant broadsword with a black steel blade and an ivory pommel shaped as a wolf's head. It was her father's sword. Her family sword.

She snarled as the Demon moved to take off her head, but they blow never landed. Instead the Demon, along with the crowd, were suddenly staring a bloody stump where the Demon's sword hand used to be.

"Forgive me, I haven't introduced myself. I am Michael." He said with a half bow as he approached.

The Demon gave an incoherent roar and tried to decapitate Michael with a swipe of his clawed left hand. Michael ducked under the blow, dragging his sword behind him as he spun and neatly removed both of the Demon's legs below the knees.

As the Demon roared on the ground in futility, Michael turned to Diana. After picking up the giant sword, he approached her and kneeled, offering the sword with both hands.

"My lady, I believe this belongs to you." He said.

With an unexpected dexterity, she grabbed the sword and twirled it in her grip.

"It is your right to take vengeance on this trash, as he stands the murderer of your father and brother." Michael stated.

The Lady gave Michael a look of genuine gratitude before her features went cold and she turned to the Demon.

"Go ahead! Kill me! It makes no difference! My Lord will BURN this land. My war parties already rape and pillage throughout the countryside. It has already begun. I swear...". There was a crunch as his head hit the ground.

:..:

Having defeated the Prince in an honorable Life Duel, Michael now owned and commanded all that the Prince did. Further, the Lady Diana had put up a stoic front when she accepted his marriage proposal (with the understanding that it was simply a technicality, and a temporary one at that. However, this greatly benefitted the upcoming war effort as not only did it lend Michael title, authority and legitimacy but also made him the legitimate claimant to the Northern Ward. He assured Diana that she would not be forced to make any commitments or fulfill any obligations that she chose not to. Indeed, she was surprised that Michael seemed to view her as an equal, even soliciting her opinion. She had known he was a better man than the barbarian Prince that was her other option but she still expected him to view her as an avenue to power more than an individual. Yet he had surprised her. The man himself was an enigma. Clearly as skilled as any fighter she had ever seen, he still didn't use that strength to bully or get what he wanted. In fact, he wasn't even cocky. He just gave off an aura that demanded confidence, trust and comfort. Yet still, she was wary. He seemed far too good to be true and she knew that one of the main tools at a full demon's disposal is temptation.

And good Gods was there was more physical temptation packed into that man than the finest male escort. She decided that she would wait and see what kind of man he was before she put her full trust in him.

They were now on the move again. They had met back up with Talasa and the legionnaires and were headed west. In addition to the one hundred legionnaires, Michael also now led the over five hundred horsemen that the Prince had commanded. Michael had released all of the wives and slaves, dividing the Prince's wealth among the startled former slaves.

However, there was an episode involving the one of Prince's wives named Kokochun who refused to be commanded or dismissed. As both the Prince's first cousin as well as a full warrior, she was not required to submit to anyone besides her hereditary ruler unless that person could challenge and defeat her. It quickly became obvious that sparring was a form of foreplay to get and she really had no expectation or intention of defeating Michael, as she clearly desired him.

However, even the tall, thin Xia Warrioress was surprised when Michael had toyed with her before pinning her and swiftly mounting her right in the middle of the sparring circle. Even now, hours later, she sat tenderly in the saddle with a far-away blissful look on her eye, his prodigious member having taken her far beyond the bounds previously thought possible. For a tough warrior woman raised in a tribe of horse lords, who gauged men based mainly on how well they fought and fucked, she had more than met her match. The conversation they shared on the ride West and his kind and intelligent wit simple cemented her bond to him.

So it was that five hundred elite nomadic cavalryman, one hundred veteran legionnaires, a mysterious man and three beautiful women rode off to save a world from darkness.