All Comments on 'Bandit'

by YouDidWhut

Sort by:
  • 266 Comments
moggie58wamoggie58waabout 1 month ago

A truly beautiful story told with such compassion, from a ten year army dog trainer vet, thank you!

LanmandragonLanmandragonabout 2 months ago

A heartrending story. I

tlc656tlc6562 months ago

I love this story and read it at least twice a month. Thank you for sharing.

-

mrdata9770mrdata97702 months ago

(3/11/2024) This is a lovely story and it goes on my list. “Then he hung up muttering something about flaming liberal, inbred, cousin-humping assholes.” Hope you don’t mind but I may someday use that quote. It’s just so catchy. Thank you for sharing this story.

DessertmanDessertman2 months ago

I loved it! I thought I had commented after reading it for the first time several months ago, but couldn't find it, so here I am again.

Definitely one of my most favourite stories.

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

I love this story. I wanted the novel. It was so well written that I wanted it to go on. I'd have read 500 pages without any sex involved.

OldFloridaGuyOldFloridaGuy4 months ago

Superb.

Truly superb.

Thank You.

AnonymousAnonymous4 months ago

Thank You, PTSD can be a bitch. My wife has been a God send to me, helped me, and made sure I got help. Do you ever get over it, No, but hopefully one gets to a place to handle it.

AnonymousAnonymous4 months ago

Wonderful, touching story. Only one request....consider birth control. He doesn't need a second family and she's way too young.

Thanks

AnonymousAnonymous4 months ago

How do give an almost discarded Bandit a meaningful medal of honor?

Privates1stClassPrivates1stClass5 months ago

More bacon for Bandit.

AnonymousAnonymous5 months ago

Probably the best short story I have read in many years.

THANK YOU

AyoolaAyoola5 months ago

This story is one of the few that I've reread over the years, and still love it. I hope you have other stories that read as well as this one, especially with me not being in the military, or even having a service dog! Anyway, thank you for this story and it's definitely one of my favorites!

AnonymousAnonymous6 months ago

Ten stars out of five. Brilliant work.

LovesDancingLovesDancing6 months ago

Superb, just superb.

GriffinmanGriffinman7 months ago

Having read this story and the prelude several times it still brings back the memories of my Six years in Northern Ireland attached to the Army Dog Unit (NI) RAVC even though I was RAF Police. We had a number of lads who were affected by PTSD over the time. I managed to get my dog retired when I left the unit and had him until he was 13. Like Bandit he was "stolen" by my wife and daughters :-) It is true that a dog only wants to give you Love.

Great character development and a view as to the problems that those of us who served have to face at times.

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

Good story but the two of them becoming sexual kind of ruined it for me.It kind of tarnished what was most uplifting about their relationship and ,frankly,felt kind of icky.

ManoxisManoxis8 months ago

4 stars. Now, it would actually have been 3, bordering on 2, because overall the story has quite a few issues (general writing quality and spelling, not the best dialogue, plot holes and issues to the point it disturbs the suspension of disbelief, Misti's character development - she went from scared girl to profound romantic wisdom way too quickly - and that it overall reads too much like, to put it in "mil-speak", an Identity Idealisation Fantasy, American Conservative, Male).

However, that being said, the message about (CR)PTSD you're trying to send is something that I can get wholly behind, not only as someone who knows multiple people suffering from it, but also has a lot of experience with (other) psychological disorders. I suspected this was indeed the message you were on about while reading the story, but the final author's note is what then convinced me that the story deserved the higher rating.

Russ43ChandlerRuss43Chandler8 months ago

Well done and the development was nicely organized to make the characters real. I had a brother that served in Nam. He never said a word about that experience but I could tell from his mannerisms that it was not pleasant and it affected his mental health till the day he died. He passed from complications of exposure to something in that ear. No correlation here just got me thinking about him. Thanks and five stars for your efforts.

AnonymousAnonymous9 months ago

thank you for this story. I have a wonderful wife who helps me thru the bad times. we have rescued dogs for the past 20 years. they are my therapy. Im ARMY with a dose of AirForce Vietnam, Gulf War 1, Bosnia twice. This story made me cry. and made me smile. Thank you.

Strider1498Strider14989 months ago

I keep returning to this story time and time again and it’s not for the romantic end game. It’s such a powerful lesson on life that it impinges on millions of folk - not just those with CRPTSD. If we all looked out for each other and reached out from our secure comfort-zone-bubble, this World would be a much happier place. Thank you once more. In the words of some bloke or other, “I’ll be back”!

dirtyoldbimandirtyoldbiman9 months ago

One of my favorite stories on here. thanks for writing this.

AnonymousAnonymous10 months ago

Male, 61 yo, made my eyes moisten. Great story

AnonymousAnonymous10 months ago

Blown away!

fredbrownfredbrown10 months ago

Hell yeah, I like this one, it has the smell of Todd 172 - If he were to write a "gentle" Needles story. This little tale is 5-stars from beginning to end and well worth a Bandit II with his daughter finding out daddy's new bunkmate is younger than she is!

AnonymousAnonymous11 months ago

What about the sequal?

Handley_PageHandley_Page11 months ago
Bloody Good !

The words strolled off the page; and told a clever tale

Thank You

HP

Crusader235Crusader23511 months ago

Second read, and still very enjoyable. Five stars. On too the prequel.

Billyboy1953Billyboy1953about 1 year ago

4th or 5th read. I enjoy it more every time. Excellent work. ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ To infinity

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

I had a german shepard called bandit once. The roles are reversed though. She and i were both broken, but she managed to recover and lived out the rest of her (short) life happily. Unfortunately i think i am still broken. PTSD is a serious thing and is not just combat related. I tried to talk about my experiences, but it was not acceptable to modern society so i had to be at fault. I get where the author is coming from and am glad to see it written. Having said that, the emotional turmoil surrounding day to day life, along with the forced recall of memories that reinforce your ideal of self worthlessness and everything you have done wrong in life. Feeding back into itself. A never ending loop that makes you recall more memories that feed into itself until you can literally not remember anything positive in your life. —deep breath. I just wish my bandit (a real german shepherd) was still alive and with me.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

I like dialogue that is believable. It is worth the work an author devotes to the story.

If there were more inner thoughts and deeper dimensions of all the characters prior to the meeting of the protagonists this could be a good movie especially if it expands on just how much rescue animals help victims of trauma.

This story did a good job of describing characters situations and backgrounds.

I become quickly interested in situations involving living in wilderness. Staying warm without electricity requires much forethought.

Ravey19Ravey19about 1 year ago

Another read of this great story.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Amazing story!!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

That is probably the best story i have read on here. Instead of being just filled with lust and sex, it was touching and heart warming. I had a tear a few tears while reading. Very well written, Thank you.

Ravey19Ravey19about 1 year ago

PTSD is an absolute bastard to live with and what a great story you wrote about an assistance dog here. Loved the way he realised Misti was more anxious than Sam early on and "moved" his allegiance and how Misti took charge in the end. 5 from me.

JustplainjeffJustplainjeffabout 1 year ago

I just read this story to the support group I'm working with at the Seattle VA hospital. Vets as far back as Korea, and as recent as Afghanistan. Not a dry eye in the group of 18 PSTD survivors. The only thing they all agreed on that was missing, wad reconnecting with his kids. Great story.

Billyboy1953Billyboy1953about 1 year ago

Wow… Just a great story. Loved it. ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Diecast1Diecast1over 1 year ago

A great, great story. Love it. AAAAAA+++++

Rusty_MRusty_Mover 1 year ago

Man. Thank you. I'm not combat related PTSD, but I saw the elephant. God bless you and to my brothers and sisters, hoorah!

SrA, 1st TAC, 71st TFS. Call Sign: Sparky

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Tears from page one to the end a wonderful story thank you.

nixroxnixroxover 1 year ago

5 stars and I know first hand what untreated PTSD can do to an ex-military veteran. Yet in my country veteran's assistance is way too little and usually way too late. So many of my fellow veterans have passed on that I have lost count and contact. But tomorrow I am going to take the first step in my recovery and make an appointment to see a veteran's counselor and maybe 2023 is not too late.

dirtyoldbimandirtyoldbimanover 1 year ago

always a great story

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

This is the first review i have ever given. lovely story about the realities of our Vets. There are lots of them that came back from conflicts changed and intensely emotionally damaged. Decent human beings having to do indecent things in order to fulfill their missions. I am old enough to remember the aftermath of Vets who came back from Vietnam. They were treated with such lack of respect. Theirs was a double tragedy. Thank you for bringing it to the forefront. Love is able to conquer and overcome many challenges. Thank you for the excellent story.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

PTSD…We get no Purple Heart, we get no Medals, Really don’t know if anyone who has read this cares, but helping a Veteran helps with the pain

NitpicNitpicover 1 year ago
Hell

Hell of a good story.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Being an old Vet. Loved the story. Almost made me cry thinking about how people should help others less fortunate than themselves. Well written and erotic to the end!!!

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Fantastic!!!!!!!!!!

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Great story. I’m hoping for another chapter where he reconnects with his kids.

NevermyloveNevermyloveover 1 year ago

Go ahead, make me cry!

tlc656tlc656over 1 year ago

I have read this story at least 6 times. Why? I just love it. Thanks very much!

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

This is by far one of the best stories I have read on this website. Thank you for such a wonderful work.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Awesome story

myassisdraginmyassisdraginover 1 year ago

I know about PTSD, a friend seved in the Canadian Armed Forces and has a PTSd service dog. E also seved as a Paramedic with our local EMS. My wife spent 34 years working in a hospital and about 3 monthes after she retired we realized she also had a m!d case of PTSD as did I after 40 years as a aSteel worker n a high stress manufacturing plant. It PTSD affects many more people than you my think. We have lost several friends due to PTSD. There needs to be more help and service for those victims....

postoak2020postoak2020over 1 year ago

Thank you

Vietnam 68-69

OldnotwiseOldnotwiseover 1 year ago

Yet again I just loved this story.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Loved this

Especially because of the dog

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Twaddle.

The author massages his ego by describing himself as a selfless hero, and blatantly attempts to manipulate readers' emotions with the faithful dog, and by protecting the pretty young girl persecuted by her malevolent mother and stepfather. Only Americans could describe the level of violence detailed in this story as "erotic".

I gave it a generous two stars; one for not boasting about the dimensions of the author's cock (which is so boringly common on this site), and the other for the occasional flash of light humour. Otherwise, as I said, twaddle.

M

PurplefizzPurplefizzalmost 2 years ago

I know you’ve wondered why this particular story was such a success, as a reader I’d guess it’s because firstly it’s a double redemption story, plus a lovable dog, identifiable bad guys/gals and lastly has a gentle laconic humour scattered throughout the story. It also brings out the idea that we’d all like to think that we would do something similar for a “Misti” that we come across in a similar situation, we want to be that trusting and honourable, but live out that desire through the words of your story.

Thank you for writing and posting here on Lit, cheers Ppfzz.

Oldsofty1961Oldsofty1961almost 2 years ago

came across this story buy accident wow is all I have to say great story wonderful authors notes wish I could give more than 5

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Your = possessive, as in “This is your house.”

You’re = abbreviated form of ‘you are’, as in “You’re crazy.”

a_reader_from_germanya_reader_from_germanyalmost 2 years ago

Beautiful story to lift your spirits and to shed some tears over, satisfying on several levels. Like for instance the developing romance that comes to a happy ending, the decency of the heroe, the way two scarred people help each other to heal, the victory of justice in what was a hopeless case, the vitrtues of loyalty and so on. Thanks for sharing!

MrPassionMan315MrPassionMan315almost 2 years ago

I hope there's more to come here. Even though this was kinda soft core, I stayed very intrigued. And ik the military well. The story showed respect and maturity. And lord knows I'm a sucker for dogs, while reading mine was at my feet for most of it. Nice job bud.

TechumsahTechumsahabout 2 years ago

Great story your story flow is almost flawless.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

This story was greatly appreciated, there is an offshoot of ptsd known as accumulated stress disorder and is fairly common among fire, ems, law enforcement and even 911 dispatchers. I'm able to eat slowly now and sometimes even sleep through the night. Although it came with a price, I would not trade my career for anything.

Firefighter/Paramedic (retired) lh

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

Beautiful Story, even with sex only at the end, had ME in tears a couple of times. Excellent buildup in storyline. Well Done Thank You.

KingCuddleKingCuddleabout 2 years ago

Excellent! Great content! Tight writing!

Take a bow!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

What a Wonderful STORY YOU SHOULD BE WRITING NOVELS

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

Really wanted him to reconcile with his kids and was disappointed that never happened. Also agree that them having a sexual relationship at the end was disappointing.

gopher25gopher25about 2 years ago

Four stars. This was a wonderful story until she became his bedmate instead of his adopted daughter. It would also have been nice if she led him to reconcile with his other daughter and son, and helped him find a wife his age.

LeontheKingLeontheKingabout 2 years ago

5🌟 Thank you for this wonderful tale

Btrying2Btrying2about 2 years ago

I was 1.5 paragraphs in and it registered I’ve read this story - more than once. Why do I not remember the title? Yep I continued reading as the story line kept popping into my brain. I knew where it was going but wanted that emotional journey I would have to get there. So on I read. Wonderful story of a troubled man doing what is right.

Age is a number. Getting hung up on it is like avoiding redheads because they might have a temper. These May December romances strike a special chord with me for some reason. This is one of the best. Thanks for sharing. John

Now to read the prequel I “think” I have not read. We'll see🥴

JimDiamondJimDiamondover 2 years ago

A great juxtaposition of PTSD for a combat Veteran and an abused child. They really do suffer much the same problems. It was a good story, even without that part, but much better because of it. Sometimes it is just the voice of another who had experienced it telling you to breath deep through your nose, put your tongue against the roof of your mouth, and let it out slowly against the back of your throat through your mouth. Keep breathing deep and you will get through this. Funny, I thought I had gotten through both types of PTSD, but every now and again I have to say those same things to my self after certain triggers and it always has worked since I decided to listen to myself and believe what I say. I hope your story and the ending helps some other old Vet. Or, someone who as a child may have suffered more trauma, horror and shame than even most combat Vets. Remember, breath deep and know you are not alone. Others are with you...and this to will pass.

dirtyoldbimandirtyoldbimanover 2 years ago

Excellent, heart warming story

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Very well done. I gave it a 5. Actually, in some aspects, it is the best fictional story I have read in a long time. Maybe it was because of the dog. (Chuckle)

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

An exceptionally well-written story that sets the bar awfully high for anyone who follows.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

A great story and thank you . 22 for 22 is real but it HAS to stop thank God your hero didn't go that route , PTSD to me stands for Pretty Tough Some Days and it really is . there are heroes who make it and there are those who finally wear down from their load . God Bless them all and Rest in Peace to those who have gone ahead to the Re-Org.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Neat and interesting story. One detail I kind of did not understand, however. They lose power and have to set up all kinds of stuff to compensate, like propane heaters, candles and kerosene lanterns. But then they sit down to watch a movie???

I thought they had no power!

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

This is my second read ic thus freaking awesome story. Though you state in the Epilogue (damn, didn’t know I would have the opportunity to use that word) the story was fictitious, but truly, it “Based on a true story.” Unfortunately, PTSD occurs more often than most people realize and much, much more believe it only occurs from combat encounters.

I am both a 22 year military veteran and one who suffers from PTSD - molestation at age 6 continued till age 9.

To my brother/sister veterans I wear a T-shirt that says, “When the demons come, call on me. We’ll fight them together.”

Lee2012

Slee451975@gmail.com

dawg997dawg997over 2 years ago

Just finished this magnificent story and DAMN!

My allergies are acting up something fierce!

It suddenly got really dusty around here.

You're a gifted wordsmith, to be sure.

Thanks for your wonderful story.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

My only regret is your characters can't be real to enjoy the happiness you gave them. This is great work, I've read it twice, not missing a word and I'm usually a skimmer. Than you, this may become annual holiday reading, because we all need hope and support that time of year and this may be the best feel good story ever.

oldgraycatoldgraycatover 2 years ago

Another wonderful story. Please keep them coming.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Absolutely loved the story…its a work of art. Your writing had a really nice flow.

SignedBTWSignedBTWover 2 years ago
At First I Took It

As a typo and I suppose it was as written "sacred women" was probably supposed to be "scared woman" but by the end it was obvious to me that "sacred" was just fine. YDW's thoughts at the end were as welcome as the story.

A couple of random thoughts: I wonder how many people know what the old designation CJ stands for in Jeep speak?

"You're a mean one Mister Grinch...". Theme song sung by Tony the Tiger and narrated by Frankenstein's Monster, Thurl 'Pappy' Ravenscroft and Boris Karloff respectively.

Marvelous story told with heart felt empathy for the survivors. Last thought on my favorite character, Bandit attacked Carl's right arm which even though he wasn't an attack dog it was non-the-less the way they are trained. Most people are right handed so that's where the most immediate threat is expected to come from. *****'s Signed: BTW

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

This amazing story had tears running down my face at several instances. Very well written. Thank you so much for writing and posting such a moving piece !

Ron

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Absolutely Loved all of it.. Thank you to all who have served and protected us.. A Wonderful story.Cheers

auhunter04auhunter04almost 3 years ago

Not the first time, won't be the last

Richard1940Richard1940almost 3 years ago

Great story, very insightful. 5*s

dasnenosdasnenosalmost 3 years ago

I come back to this story every time the stresses of PTSD hit me when I least expect it. The grasp of reality in this, and the first story about Sam does more for me than any shrink ever did. YouDidWhut hasn't posted since 2019, and that saddens me. I wrote a note to him a few months ago, and didn't get a response. This story has been number one in the Mature category for a very long time. I personally think it's the best on the site.

Tiger1978Tiger1978almost 3 years ago

This is great. A really impressive, sensitively told story.

younghrted2younghrted2almost 3 years ago

Wonderful story! I have and struggle with PTSD. Your insightful sharing is very much appreciated.

teedeedubteedeedubalmost 3 years ago

Both stories are super. Thanks for sharing.

SouthernCrossfireSouthernCrossfirealmost 3 years ago

Great story, well presented, and well developed. Very enjoyable. 5*

NitpicNitpicalmost 3 years ago
Good

Good well written story.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

I agree with a previous reviewer, this is a beautiful and well constructed story. Please write more like this!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

edit!...lay vs lie, your vs you´re...elementary english, junior high errors...

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

corny, with bad ´murrican english. why do i read this shit?

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userYouDidWhut@YouDidWhut
Every god and every demon, every heaven and every hell is inside you. Hey everyone. My 20th story posted today and I wanted to say thanks because it’s been a while since I said thank you for following along. So, thank you. It means more to me than you will ever know. Thank...

READ MORE OF THIS SERIES

Bandit Series Info

SIMILAR Stories