Big Loss, Big Gain Pt. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Frank: "In nearly all the cases I've handled, there's been court ordering counseling."

Jim: "Oh Shit. Is there anyway to avoid this?"

Frank: "The guys I've seen get out of this had very well prepared, compelling speeches, in addition to statements from a family member or two, supporting a case that dragging the issue out longer would not be in the best interest of the families involved."

Jim: "OK. I'll get prepared."

Laura's view

My attorney, Pamela, laid it all on the line for me.

Pamela: "There is some cash to go after, but the family home belonged to his family long before you showed up. Jim's name is the only name on the deed and the fact that it's in the historical district doesn't help either. No one is going to force him to sell it."

Laura: "Please, stop talking about houses and cash. I don't want this divorce! Please do whatever you can to get it stopped."

Pamela: "Look, we're not in a 'no-fault divorce' state, so Jim is holding most of the cards here. Even though much his evidence is inadmissible, he has more than enough to prove his case and the inadmissible stuff still exists and is 'out there'. Let's face it, you screwed up in a big way. Now I believe you when you say it only happened once with one man, but the documents say otherwise, and in the 'court of public opinion', and worse 'court of family opinion', you've already been proven guilty. Look, I'm trying to help you the best I can, but right now the best I can do to insist that court ordered marriage counseling take place. If this happens then you'll at least get a chance to talk to him and maybe talk him out of proceeding. I'm trying to be optimistic here, but I have to be honest with you, and tell you not to get your hopes up. Court ordered marriage counseling is not always mandated and if it is, I think you've got quite an uphill battle ahead of you. I did speak with his attorney, Frank, I got a strong impression that they want this ended quickly."

Laura: "So you think that you can get the counseling ordered?"

Pamela: "All I can say is I'll promise to do the best I can to get it ordered."

Laura: "OK."

Pamela: "Do you like football?"

Laura: "I watch it occasionally. I understand what's going on."

Pamela: "Have you watched what's happens after a fumble occurs? Players diving and scrambling after that ball like it's the most important thing in the world. Like water in the desert. Well, that's what you've done, you've fumbled Jim. But instead of huge linemen and muscular defensive backs scrambling, it's widowers and divorcees. Women who've lost their husbands either thru death or neglect, or women that have been abused physically and/or mentally. Some of these women would cut a finger off for the chance to date a man like your husband. The other day I overheard a women say that Jim Martin is the best looking 42 year old man she's ever seen. I assumed she was talking about your Jim. The heat will be on, so if you get the court ordered counseling, you will need to bring your 'A' game and make the most of it."

Laura: "Please stop. I understand."

Jim's view

On 'D' day, my attorney, Frank, did a great job in presenting my case. Everything seemed to be going well until the dreaded counseling came up. Laura's attorney gave a rather emotionally charged, persuasive argument, stating that her client emphatically does not want this divorce and in the 'best interest of the family' marital counseling should be mandated. Laura was whimpering on-and-off during the entire courtroom session, and I'm sure that this fact was also having an effect on the judge. Frank did his absolute best to overcome this, but I was starting to think that the inevitable was about to happen. Until an unexpected voice was heard.

Sarah: "Excuse me, your honor. I would like to address the court."

Judge: "And you are?"

Sarah: "Sarah Martin, your honor. The daughter of James and Laura Martin."

Judge: "All right, young lady. I will allow you to speak."

Sarah: "I thank you, you honor, for the opportunity to be heard. My view may be somewhat self-centered, but since I'm part of the family, my viewpoint should matter for something. After all, it's been said here that actions should be taken in the 'best interest of the family'. Well, I would like to go on-record as being opposed to this marriage counseling mandate. My father is a good man and a great father. Over the years he has turned down numerous lucrative job offers, but since these jobs would have required extensive travel, he turned them down. He thought it was more important to be accessible to his only daughter, and to sleep next to the women he thought loved him. I tell you now that I never would gave graduated in the top 10% of my class without his guidance and support. Right now I'm at a crossroad in my life, as I'm due to start college soon. However, how in all conscience can I start without this being resolved? I won't allow my father to go into serious debt on my account. The financial aspect of this divorce is most important for us. She doesn't deserve a dime, your honor. She's already wasted thousands of his hard earned dollars on frivolous hobbies and projects. Please your honor, my father has made it clear. He's drawn the line in the sand and that's it. Court ordered counseling will go absolutely no where. Please put an end to this nightmare and let us move on."

Judge: "The court thanks you for input. OK. There will be a 30 minutes recess before I make my decisions."

Laura's view

Sarah's statement was like a dagger to my heart.

Pamela: "Well, that certainly wasn't good for us. Her speech, in addition to your 'good friend', Kathy not showing up, may have just done us in."

Jim's view

When the judge left the room, Laura was barely holding it together, as she shaking like a leaf. She looked at me with tears in her eyes, but she had been instructed that she could not speak directly to me.

I guess she really hadn't thought this whole thing through. Kathy had told Ron that she was totally convinced that the two would never get caught. In any case, the time went by slowly, I talked with Frank to pass the time.

Frank: "You never know sometimes what's going on in the judge's head, but I'm thinking that Sarah's speech definitely turned the tide here. I'm thinking that she may have saved you some serious coin."

The judge returned and spoke.

Judge: "It is the court's decision that court ordered counseling would be of no benefit here. So it is my decision that the divorce be granted, pending a payment from James to Laura in the amount of $50,000, as well as, acknowledgment of a 401K lien of 25%."

Frank: "Agreed to, your honor."

Judge: "Court is now adjourned."

The gavel smacked down. The case was over. Laura began to wail hysterically, scream my name over and over, before collapsing to the floor.

EPILOG

Jim's view

I still have a lot to be thankful for, good health, a wonderful daughter and extended family, and a group of loyal friends, in addition to, an understanding employer and supportive work colleagues. However, as fine as this support system is, it doesn't address the loneliness I feel each night. With Sarah off to college, the house is so empty.

Sometimes, as I lay in bed alone, I wonder if I'd made the right decisions. Laura seemed to be extremely distressed the night she was served, and truly remorseful during the court proceedings. I began to wonder if my anger and pride has sent me down the wrong path, but on the other hand, those images of her fucking John just brings up my anger all over again. In any case, happiness doesn't seem to be waiting around the corner.

Laura's view

After my parents moved to Florida, Kathy and I moved into an apartment a few towns away. Unfortunately, while coming home late one night from her waitress job, she fell asleep at the wheel and struck a utility pole. She died instantly. So I'm more alone than ever now, in addition to having to pay all of the living expenses. As you can imagine, my life sucks now...big time. Before this whole mess started, I drove around in a late model Mercedes, and had fancy lunches 2 to 3 times a week at the club. Wherever I went I could always look forward to seeing smiling faces with warm greetings and loving hugs, but that's a thing of the past now. I've lost nearly all my friends and family, and are no longer welcome at the club or at church. I drive a 6 year old Toyota now, and those warm greetings have been replaced by looks of cold indifference.

So, for all you married women out there thinking about having an affair. Think hard, think long and hard, before taking action. Think about what you could lose. Don't let what happened to me...happen to you. After being married for over 20 years, I should have known that my husband would have no tolerance for what I did. They say 'you don't know what you've got until you lose it'. Well, let me tell you that it's 100% true. I had a wonderful life, but decide to play with fire...a very dangerous fire.... and got burned. Now I have to live with the consequences. The only thing that is keeping me alive is a slim sliver of hope that someday Jim will have a change of heart and decide to give me another chance, but as each day goes by, it seems less and less likely that that will ever happen.

As I fall asleep the radio is playing an oldie.

'Why does my heart go on beating? Why do these eyes of mine cry? Don't they know it's the end of world. It ended when you said ...goodbye'.

*

Lyrics from the song entitled 'End of the World'

Performed by Skeeter Davis, 1963, RCA Records

END OF PART 1

Authors note:

What will happen in part 2?

Will Jim meet a new love?

Is a reconciliation with Laura at all possible?

In any case, please be patient, I have some other stories that will come out before part 2 of this one.