BirthRight Ch. 07-12

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Tyrone and Tyrese stepped closer to each side as she brushed the debris from her pants. Jayden's eyes narrowed, and he inhaled.

"Your son is in pain, if you can help him, please do it," she said, pointing at the young boy.

Jayden's forehead touched his son's forehead. A moment later the fur disappeared and a long-limbed teenager lay shivering on the ground.

"Give him your jacket, Tyrone," she demanded. When he removed it, she handed it to Callum. "Wear this."

"Yes, Ma'am." Jayden helped him put on the light-weight coat that reached to his mid thigh. He stood on shaky legs with help from his father. Once standing, he looked at Jasmine and smiled. "Thank you, I owe you my life."

Surprised, her mouth dropped. Once she processed his words, she gave him a few of her own. "Your life is yours to live. If you treat others with the same kindness I showed you, then the debt is repaid tenfold."

He paused and then nodded.

Jayden looked at her, and then at Silas. They nodded and the four of them returned to the condo. Silas accompanied them. He'd been a frequent visitor since their arrival. After placing her MP3 player and cell phone on the table, she turned to look at the three silent men.

"What just happened?"

"Huh?" Tyrone asked without looking at her.

"Don't 'huh' me? You were there. That boy's legs were furry. At first I thought it was a blanket, but it wasn't. His furry legs were bent funny, too." Her voice hardened. "Start talking. Start by telling me how you were able to find me in the woods when I didn't give you directions. Then explain why you told me not to move. Bring it up to the child losing his furry legs and walking away when he thought he was dying." She eyed Tyrone and Tyrese. "Don't bother lying to me, either. I think there's been quite enough of that." She looked at Silas, who stood near an open window. His silhouette reminded her of Renee's comment a few days ago.

Her stomach clenched as a throb beat in her core.

The man flinched.

She dragged her attention back to her sons, crossed her arms, and tapped her feet. "Start at the beginning."

Two hours later, heart in her throat, tears running down her face, she stood. "You've been like this all this time and never told me?" She couldn't believe they'd done that. "All those times I worried, it was for nothing?"

"Ma, we couldn't—"

Heartbroken, she sniffed. "That's right, you couldn't tell me because of the promise you made to the man you hardly ever saw. The asshole who missed every minor and major event in your lives. The same one who spent time with you when it was convenient for him. I understand your loyalty to that person instead of me." She shrugged. Her heart shattered at the staggering amount of lies and deception. She'd given up so much and to have them keep such a critical part of them locked away seemed like treason of the highest order.

"It's wasn't like that, we thought... we thought it'd freak you out having animals for sons," Tyrone said.

Her brow dipped as she looked at him. "Unlike now, is that what you mean? Is this the face of a freaked out woman, or a woman who feels betrayed once again by those closest to her?"

"Ma, no." Tyrese walked over, dropped to his knees and wrapped his arms around her waist. "I'm sorry. You're right, we should have told you from the beginning. But he made it seem like... it doesn't matter. I should've told you anyway. Please forgive me."

A bitter coldness filled her chest. Her family had taken so much from her. Or she'd given too much, either way a quiet numbness filled her body. She glanced at Silas, who'd remained silent through the telling.

"Can I leave this place?" she asked him.

"No, not yet. Maybe soon." His voice remained neutral.

She nodded, knowing she should be angry, sad, disappointed or another emotion. Yet, there was nothing. With a gentle push, she moved Tyrese, stood and walked to her room.

Silas breathed easier once Jasmine left the room. Her pheromones were off the charts and he'd had a hard time controlling his wolf. Even Jayden had sensed it and he had a mate. Silas read the surprise and fear in the Alpha's eyes when she'd stood from holding Callum. He doubted her sons recognized the mating scent, but they'd reacted to the Alpha's response and stepped beside her.

"She's hurt," Tyrese said in a hoarse voice.

Tyrone sat in the chair with his head in his hands. "She put us in the same category as my old man. I never wanted her to see me when she thought of him. Lord, I fucked up. I can't believe I hurt her like that."

"We both did."

"No, you wanted to tell her. I convinced you dad was right. If I hadn't... I've never seen her look so... so broken. I never want to see that look again."

"I know. That's the first time ever that she didn't accept an apology." Tyrese inhaled and blinked fast. "What if it's too much? Not the wolf thing, but she's hurt because of the lies. The years of lying about where we were and what we were doing." He covered his eyes and breathed hard.

"I don't know what to do."

Silas closed the window now that her fragrance dissipated. "Let her sleep. Tomorrow, or whenever she's ready to talk, talk. But don't push things. She has to deal with this and you in her own way."

Tyrone nodded.

"I know. There's not much else we can do," Tyrese said as he stood.

"There's another problem," Silas said.

Both of them looked at him.

"Another?" Tyrone asked with a bit of skepticism.

"But we're not done with this one yet," Tyrese said.

Silas had grown fond of the twins. They both possessed Alpha qualities and had taken to the training and studies with ease. Their honesty and how well they meshed with Jayden's pack impressed him. That brought him back to their new challenge. He sat on the sofa next to Tyrone and spoke through their link. "Something happened while your mom was helping Callum through his first change."

"That was awesome, wasn't it? I thought I'd be fighting a changeling, but she treated him like a normal kid," Tyrone said.

"What do you mean, something happened to her?" Tyrese asked, meeting Silas' eyes.

"She's releasing serious pheromones." When the twins still looked clueless, he continued. "It's a mating call. Even Jayden picked up on it and he's mated."

Tyrese dropped his head into his hands.

Tyrone's mouth dropped open. "My mom? What're you saying?"

Silas pinched the bridge of his nose. "She is releasing a scent that will call wolves to her in droves. I cannot explain why or what brought this on. She's human and this shouldn't happen."

"What do you mean her scent will call wolves? I didn't pick up anything," Tyrone said, frowning.

"That's a good thing, asshole. She's our mother," Tyrese snapped as he stood, placed his hands on the top of his head. "What about the bitches? How will they deal with this... this threat to their mates?"

"Oh shit!" Tyrone spoke aloud as it dawned on him.

"They'll kill her," Silas said without blinking. "For a mated male to be affected by another, it tears at the fabric of who we are. Mates do not share, period."

"This is not her fault. She was born like this and I guarantee she's not doing anything on purpose." Tyrese looked panicked.

Silas sighed. This situation had all types of complications he'd rather not be involved with. He looked at the scared young wolves and knew in the end he'd get involved. He wanted to curse to the heavens. "I know and understand. We have to keep her locked in this unit and continue our search for answers. I think a trip to Oklahoma to meet your father's pack is in order."

"You promised we could go with you when you did that," Tyrone reminded him.

He nodded. "I know, but you can't leave, and we need answers."

"This mating thing, what do you mean? My father had a mate, but I don't think it's the same thing," Tyrese asked.

Tyrone nodded. "Good point, Rese. How does she get over this?"

"Sex. The mating call puts out an all points bulletin that she wants to be fucked hard and heavy. And the first time she steps out that door, they'll answer her call. Their wolves will drive them to respond and it won't matter that she's human."

"They could kill her." Tyrone's eyes widened with fear.

"Yes."

Tyrese eyed him. "Is it because you're the Patron that your beast isn't driving you to do something?"

Silas chuckled without humor. "No. I stayed by an opened window to keep my beast calm. Otherwise..." he shrugged. "Take it from me, her call is strong. I have never experienced anything like it. Right now, I don't know how to keep her safe."

"Can you ward the doors so no one can enter?" Tyrese asked.

"Yes. But then no one could leave either. How will that work? And for how long?"

"I think we should tell her," Tyrese said. "She should be aware of the danger and be a part of the solution. I am not down with doing anything that involves her ever again without her knowledge."

Tyrone nodded. "When should we tell her? Does she have at least through the night?"

Silas inhaled. The scent had dimmed but his wolf was still on alert searching for the tantalizing aroma. "It's better, but she's not stirring or anything." He ran fingers through his hair. "I don't have answers for you." He looked at the two men he'd grown to respect. "We'll think of something."

Chapter 9

The next morning, Jasmine rolled over and decided not to get out of bed. With a lazy sprawl, she inhaled. The smell of bacon teased her nostrils.

"Now they cook," she grumbled, and covered her head with a pillow. Her ex-husband had been a wolf or dual-natured shifter as they called themselves. Her sons were wolves. It still boggled her mind, and she'd made them prove it. They'd changed right before her eyes into huge animals.

Even then she saw Tyrese and Tyrone through the sad eyes of the beasts they'd become. Her sons, she'd given birth to them, breast-fed them, changed their diapers, and loved them unconditionally. Nothing had changed other than her feelings hurt because they'd kept her out of the loop.

A knock hit her door. "Mama?"

"Hmmm?"

"Breakfast. You want it in there?"

"No."

There were muffled sounds on the other side of the door.

She smiled, crossed her legs, and placed her arms beneath her head.

"Uh, no, you don't want your breakfast in your room, or no, you don't want anything to eat?"

She wasn't hungry, but they were trying so hard to make amends. "I'll eat at the table."

"Oh... okay. I'll put your plate on the table, then." She chuckled at the disappointment in Tyrese's voice. Apparently, they'd been hoping she'd let them in her room like she did when they were younger and wanted to apologize. Nope. They were now adults and had made that argument one time too many. Swinging her legs over the side of the bed, she stretched and headed for the shower. They could wait a little longer.

Ten minutes later she walked into the living area. Her sons jumped up and met her as she walked to the table.

"Morning, Mom."

"Morning." She sat without looking at them.

Tyrone placed a warm plate with cinnamon raisin toast, bacon, eggs and hash browns in front of her.

She bit the inside of her lip to keep from smiling. They were pulling out all the stops. Hungry, she took a bite of toast and a sip of orange juice. The only sound in the room came from her.

Intent on eating her meal, she ignored Tyrese as he sat across from her. "Good?"

"Yes, thank you."

He frowned.

Tyrone took the other seat at the table. "Do you want us to move out?"

The fork froze. Curious, she looked at him. She hadn't thought about that, but maybe it was time. "Do they have more rooms?"

Tyrone bit his lip and turned away, but not before she read the pain in his eyes. She placed the fork on the table.

"Mom, I... we are sorry for not telling you everything, it was wrong. But please don't shut us out of your life. Not that." Tyrese took her hand. His eyes filled as he tightened his hold. "I can't lose you. Tell me how to make this right, how can I make it up to you?"

It was time to set a few things straight. It pissed her off that she wouldn't be able to hold onto her anger any longer. They'd been wrong, but she couldn't allow them to suffer like this.

"We don't live together. We haven't in over a year. That's the reason I asked. As far as what you did... it hurt. I mean it hurt buckets knowing I've been a part of your lives and didn't know my own kids." She shook her head, allowing the pain to pass through this time. "I still can't believe how you pulled it off, but you did. I guess if I hadn't stumbled across Callum, I still wouldn't know."

"The penalty for telling humans is death, Mom. Not just for the wolf, but for the human as well. We couldn't risk you like that," Tyrone said his voice low and filled with sorrow.

"Last night, you didn't mention that." She searched his face for the truth, and the fact that she now felt the need to do that, hurt.

He looked surprised. "I didn't? Sorry. But that's the first thing dad taught us. Never let the humans discover who we are."

She grimaced. "Yeah, that's me. Just a human." No matter how true that designation proved to be, she despised it for becoming a dividing line between her and her sons.

"Mom."

"It's not like that."

Her head snapped up to look at Tyrone and then Tyrese. They looked away as she spoke. "It's exactly like that. And it always will be."

The quiet filled the room until Tyrese stood, took her plate and placed it in the sink. "If you want us to move out, if that'll make you happy, we will. I don't want to, but I want you happy."

Tyrone picked up her hand. "Be mad at me, but I'm not leaving. Not now. There's time later on for us to be separated again, but not now."

"You're a brat."

His lips curved into a smile. "True, but I'm your brat."

"For now. One day you boys will have kids and I'm going to remember this day." She rubbed her hands together.

"It'll be awhile, so don't get too excited," Tyrese said as he retook his seat and her hand. "I love you, mom. I don't ever want to see you look like you did last night. Whatever it takes to make you happy, I'm on board."

"Me too." Tyrone kissed the back of her hand.

"I love you both. You know that and figured I wouldn't kill you because of that. Don't get it twisted. I'm hurt and angry. In my mind you chose him over me and nothing you say will change that. But because I love you no matter what, I'll allow you boys to stay here until Jayden finds me a smaller place of my own or I leave, whichever comes first."

"Why?"

"Why?" She paused, marshalling her thoughts. "Because it's time for me to do things I've always wanted. School or art classes. I've been putting things off for years. But the last few months I've been thinking about it more and more. I'm the only person who can make lasting changes in my life. Now that I know you have a group of people who'll watch your backs, it's a good time to make changes of my own, that's all." She paused, frowning. "How much longer do we have to stay here?" She looked at Tyrone and then Tyrese.

"I'm not sure. Silas and his team are doing research into your background, and dad's. They're trying to understand how you were able to get pregnant from dad. It doesn't happen, since he's... you know."

She nodded. Uneasiness swamped her. "There's more to this than what you told me last night, isn't it?"

"Yes. Humans and wolves don't mate. They don't have kids together. It goes against everything wolves know and it's worse because Rese and I are healthy, strong, potential Alpha wolves. Not weak or insane. They'd never heard of half-breeds surviving, not growing up healthy as we did. They're not sure if it was our environment or dad's genes or a combination. But it's different and they have to study those differences to decide how it'll impact their way of life."

She nodded. "Why didn't they just kill us?"

"Silas thought about it, they would have if we hadn't agreed to come here for testing and observation."

"What?" She snapped. "I was kidding." She looked from one to the other, neither smiled.

"Sorry." Tyrone looked across the room.

"Are we in danger?" She hadn't felt threatened, but then she didn't realize she was living in a place with wolves either.

Tyrese pulled his earlobe and looked at her. "No, but there's a small problem."

Her stomach dropped. Whatever it was, it wasn't small. Tyrese never got nervous. But when he did, he pulled his earlobe. "What is it and don't lie to me, never again. Don't lie, just tell me straight."

He coughed, glanced at Tyrone, and then back at her. "Did something happen yesterday while you were saving Callum?"

"What?" She couldn't follow the change in conversation.

"Yesterday... did you feel different? Strange? Did something happen while you were with him?"

"I... I'm not sure I understand what you mean by feeling different." She struggled, trying to remember. "He was moaning and in pain. I felt bad for him. It reminded me of when you boys got hurt." She shrugged. "What? Why'd you ask me that?"

There was a knock on the door. Tyrone jumped up so fast, she blinked. She craned her neck to see who was at the door.

"Morning." The deep timbre of Silas' voice touched her in places she'd forgotten existed. A tremor slid through her and settled in her core. Closing her eyes, she bit down on her lower lip as heat pooled between her legs along with a pulsating ache.

"Mom... mom," Tyrese called as he shook her.

A low growl filled the room, pulling her from her side journey. As though in a fog, she looked across the room and blinked.

Tyrone and Tyrese had pressed Silas against the window.

She stood.

"Sit."

Affronted, she placed her hands on her hips and gave him her what-did-you-say look. "Excuse you?"

"Mom, please can you sit back down? Please?" Tyrese begged while standing in front of Silas.

Shocked and concerned, she sat and crossed her arms over her legs.

"Thanks," he said, sounding more relieved than the situation warranted. After a few moments of listening to deep and heavy breathing, she peeked at the window. Tyrone was bent over, resting his hands on his knees. Silas' hands braced against the window frame, his nose pressed next to the screen. Tyrese stood in front of the other two, breathing hard as though he'd run a marathon.

"What's going on?" she asked, confused by their actions. "Did I miss something?"

Tyrese waved at his brother. "Stay here." Tyrone nodded as Tyrese walked to the table and sat. "The conversation we were having before Silas came in, remember?"

She nodded.

"You'd asked what else was going on, I was trying to understand what happened yesterday."

She frowned, trying to follow him. "Yesterday?"

"Yeah." He rubbed his neck and licked his lips a few times.

"Just tell me, Rese." Her nerves couldn't take much more of his hemming and hawing.

"You are throwing off what the other wolves consider a mating scent. Something must have triggered it yesterday. I'm—"

Her hand flew up to the base of her throat. "A what?"

He took a deep breath and then released it in slow degrees. "A mating scent. Pheromones or something like that, and it's like a red flag."

She shook her head. "A red flag? That doesn't make sense."

"Mom," Tyrese said, his voice wobbled, and then he straightened in the chair. "Your body is throwing off a scent or signal to the wolves that you want to have sex."

Her hands flew up to her mouth as her eyes widened.

"They smell it and it drives them crazy with lust. Rone and I don't, but Silas did when he walked inside."