All Comments on 'Both Sides Now'

by jackie_em

Sort by:
  • 29 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
Great story

This was a good read and loved the fact that all good stories are not about sex. I rated it a 5. A love story can be just exciting . Thank you

JessicaAlexanderJessicaAlexanderabout 6 years ago
Nice story

It was a really nice story but please work on your transitions between scenes. Some parts felt really choppy but the main part of story was really nice.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
Great tale

Great story. I actually wanted the sex to be over to progress the narrative. I enjoyed the 3rd person narative. This could be a novel easily

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
Good

If I have to make a choice between a story with loads of sex or a story with characters I would choose the latter. The transitions were some getting used to. Still I also rated it at 5 stars and would encourage you to keep writing wether as equal or a new story line, keep up like this.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago

what a sweet story . transition is complicated !!! . thank you for another wonderful story. i love romantic stories with a happy ending, thanks.

Dawn191270Dawn191270about 6 years ago
At last a story from the heart

Thank you so much . I loved story with so many twists and little sex . Transition is so hard and very few people ever get to see that worry and fear . We are not all slim effete looking . I have had so many issues but at least I don't have to try to pass . I just always did look female . The dating scene can be so hard , when do you say and tell . You covered that so well . Yes best story for quite a while . Thank you again

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
Well done

Good piece of text, love the plot and would love if you continue with the same, or if you start a new story with same type of plot

SantacruzmanSantacruzmanabout 6 years ago
Really liked your story

I agree with other reviewers that you checked all the boxes it was a realistic story with pain and hurt and love in the end. I’m a sucker for love stories. Was easy to read. Nice job. I’m not trans so I can’t know the heart ache they must go through. Give us more soon and I’ll check out what else you have written.

Santacruzman

librertinlibrertinabout 6 years ago
Too much of a script but still good

I was a bit weirded out by the description parts, they reminded me of a play or a scenario for a movie, but after initial "shock" they were cute. I started visualizing it like a Woody Allen film, on the other hand I just loved your dialogue parts, if I ever lose my "chicken" part and decide to write and submit a story would love to have you edit it and make my dialogues better!

rnebularrnebularabout 6 years ago
Great story hidden under hard to read copy

This was a wonderful story of love and loss, but was at times very hard to read. The dialog was good for the most part, but there were slight point of view shifts that occurred way too often, and the narration was paced oddly, almost as if like a person stuttering through telling a story. Thank you for sharing with us!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
Is this a screenplay?

As others have said, this is a really good story, sweet with a happy ending.

However, it was REALLY difficult to read - it was written just like a screenplay, and would be okay if it was for a stage play or movie, but as a story the way it was written just didn’t work. I would suggest you either find a proofreader or make sure you give your stories a good read through after you have written them.

jackie_emjackie_emabout 6 years agoAuthor
Screenplay

It was indeed written as a screenplay. Sorry if that made it awkward to read.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
Feminization

I know how Pat feels, I wish I could live my life as a woman. For 30 years or better have imagined I could be a good looking woman making love to men or another woman, I would dress in sexy lingerie and a dress, I would lay back and masturbate thinking I was being made love to. I would enjoy the experience and wish I would change over night. In a way I am jealous that I couldn't have been changed into a woman by mistake!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 6 years ago
Really liked it until.

Rachel left pat for Mare. left a bitter taste in my mouth. 4/5 woulda been 5/5 if not for that.

UnrighteousUnrighteousalmost 6 years ago

1) Non native English reader and had no problem whatsoever with reading this. 2) I don't get how you can down rate a story like this for having a protagonist not making 'optimal' choices.

"I remember sometimes, when I was a man, when women studiously ignored me. I felt kind of hurt, and felt they were stuck up." - I don't get how that is hurtful beside the lack of trust you get so the following paragraph is really odd to me.

Anyhow great tale, I even had something stuck in my eye while reading it - pretty rare for this site. 5/5

FestofishFestofishalmost 6 years ago
Great story for a non sex site

But this is literotica. Really a great story just needs a lot more sex.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Sketchy

Awesome plot, but missing considerable depth. Kinda needs a good editor, aside from the odd typo / grammatical error. (nothing major)

Most notably, I think the very first concern Pat would have on waking would be his fertility. I'd be wondering, could *any* sperm be salvaged and stored? Would it even be *possible* to have children of my own or would that *have* to be adopted from this point..? That would certainly be a strong point in the legality too. Sexual organs may be functional for "sex" but transitioning isn't functional for conception. Not in either direction.

Equally, Pat and Rachael didn't sleep with each other on the first date, and girls tend to discuss their cycle... Even as a trans-woman Pat has no experience of that, and would (I would think) have to either confess to her previous nature, or find a cunning excuse. (probably making the lie more overt) The hormone medication she would need would also *not* be a regular "the pill" type affair, and I'd be surprised if that wasn't noticed before the reveal. I wouldn't let my male friends go through my sports bag the way girls go through each others purse / handbag.

The *fact* of the rape was good, but I'm surprised Pat dealt with it, and recovered from it as quickly as she did. I know women who haven't recovered from similar experiences, when they weren't already at a point of emotional turmoil, even decades after the fact. I know (or rather knew) guys who commuted suicide rather than cope with it! It's kinda nice that it's there, but I worry that the recovery, especially in those circumstances, trivialities rape *way* too much. (just MHO)

Finally, the MTF trans I've known didn't physically transition in a single operation. It took *years* being part-trans and in and out of theater. ... But if it were a short film, I'd let that slide for the excellent plot. (or maybe techniques have improved a lot since then... I don't know)

jackie_emjackie_emover 5 years agoAuthor
Sketchy

I morphed this from a script to a story and missed some things in the editing and some transitions and descriptions were not as they should have been.

As to Pat being concerned about fertility, that really depends on the individual. Some people are deeply concerned with procreation, while others considerably less so. You might wonder if "any sperm be salvaged and stored" or if it would "even be possible to have children of my own." If I were a male in Pat's situation, that would be the least of my concerns. Children are not an issue with me.

Even among lesbians, not everyone will necessarily sleep together on the first date. In the story, Rachel is reluctant to get involved physically and emotionally because of the emotional scars from her relationship to Mare. Pat being new to lesbian sexuality might well also be shy about jumping into sex. I would assume if periods came up in conversation between Pat and Rachel that Pat might say her lack of periods was related to her 'accident' that she doesn't want to talk about.

I dealt with the rape recovery in only a few short scenes, but recovery may have taken longer than apparent, since Pat went to stay with her sister for some time before even returning to work. I didn't really want to dwell too long on the rape recovery. Also Pat was likely unconscious during the rape, so she would not have memories of the actual rape, and she took revenge by bludgeoning her attacker.

To me, the greater issues are that it is inconceivable that a doctor would perform gender correction surgery on someone without even speaking with them beforehand, even if a trusted colleague vetted the patient. It is also inconceivable that someone could be mistaken for a gender correction patient. When they saw no signs of HRT or growing hair in a more feminine style and such, someone would surely have raised a red flag. I elide those facts in order to advance the story premise, but they are real issues.

hindsight2020hindsight2020over 5 years ago
I picked up that it was a script somewhere on page 2 I think.

But after 40 years in theater, I should. I found it quite enjoyable

Jen10PaJen10Paabout 5 years ago
A Story worth reading!!

It's nice to read a story full of some of the turmoil and mindfulness that it takes to change a life and find acceptance with what we want or need a life to be. Thanks for the great story.

WalkureWalkureabout 5 years ago
Nicely written

Enjoyed this very much. Nice portrayals. I have known too many like "Mare."

BrendaNWBrendaNWabout 4 years ago
Loved it

Thank you for a lovely story about romance and love winning out in the end. My transition has been "voluntary" and what I needed and wanted but I only dream of transitioning as well as Part did and to find love like Rachel. I well know what Pat meant about a one true love but haven't found it yet. Thanks again for a story that touched my soul and made me feel deeply but nicely. Teary eyed, TG Tiffany

OICURADV82OICURADV82over 3 years ago

Just a stunningly beautiful, painful, and emotional story.

I felt it in my core.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

This is a very inspiring story of which shows that true love has no boundaries. I'm pretty sure that this story has been lived out in true life by how accepting society has become towards similar real life characters. The world can be a very mean place to be for some people who are "different".

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

It is disappointing that a writer with your skill with abstract ideas, has so few offerings here for us to read.

Pat, finding out that he’s received the wrong procedure, led me to believe that would be another story about some man who becomes women that all the guys want to fuck. But it turned out to be (to my surprise) about love.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

You created a beautiful story about a caring and thoughtful person that really got pushed to their limit until she found friends and the love she was looking for. Very emotional and very uplifting and a completely lovely read. Thank you so much for this story.

J.D.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

others are saying this is like a script, but even so, you can't have line after line after line of dialogue without some indication of who's speaking as it's easy to get lost and confused.

new2023new202310 months ago

would've been a bit easier to read if there was an indication to who was speaking in the speech marks, other than that, great story! Could totally imagine me being pat!

AnonymousAnonymous10 months ago

It's great everything worked out great and everybody loves each other and Sherri's getting a rod put to her that's even better take care

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous