Bound Ch. 10: Happy Ever After

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Instantly her eyes were full of tears and she wrapped me up in the biggest hug. From that moment on, I was like a daughter to her. She even insisted I call her mom, saying she had always wanted a daughter.

As the last of the guests filed out, it was so strange being alone with Chris, my new husband, my friend, my lover. He gave me the grand tour then, showing me all the amenities he had added with me in mind, from the Jacuzzi tub, to the raised double oven, and the deck off the back of the house where we could watch the sunset, it was perfect.

We didn't make love that night, well we did actually, but it was on a more spiritual level than physical.

Monday morning, as it always does, came all, too, soon.

Slipping into a pretty floral print dress and some cork wedge heels that were as as carefree as I felt, I left at a leisurely time to go clean out my cubical.

"Hey Cindy!" I greeted her as I waltzed past her desk to my old cubicle, my cork wedge sandals making a funny sound on the faux marble floor.

"Danielle!" Cindy exclaimed when she saw me. Jumping up from her desk she grabbed me and wrapped me up in a big hug. "He's waiting for you in the conference room but I wanted to give you this first." she said presenting me an envelope.

"What's this?" I asked taking it from her hand.

"We took up a collection." she said timidly. "It's not much, only $238."

"Cindy, you guy's didn't have to do this."

"Yes, we did!" she continued. "You made working here fun. Working for HIM bearable." her eyes flicked toward Mr. Pierce's office door. "To be honest, I'm quitting too, just as soon as I find something else." she said, leaning in to whisper in my ear.

"Ms. Reid." Mr. Pierce called from the door of the conference room. "A moment please."

I wanted to correct him that it was Mrs. Anderson now but I knew it was pointless. Giving Cindy one last hug, I walked into the conference room to find Jonathan sitting at the far side of the table.

"After some consideration, I have decided to accept your resignation." he told me bluntly.

"Um, thanks." I responded.

"I also wanted to let you know, you will NEVER! work in this industry again." he continued. "Now, get out!"

I pretended it didn't bother me but inside my stomach was suddenly in a knot. I had been counting on getting another job quickly but if Pierce was going to use his influence to make that difficult ... on the outside I was cool water, on the inside I was thoroughly, utterly, panicking.

It only took me a few minutes to clear out my desk under Pierce's watchful eye. After I had all my things packed, he walked back to the conference room door, where he watched me a bit more to make sure I was actually leaving.

With what personal effects I had in the bankers box I was carrying, I headed for the elevator, my heart full of conflicted emotions. Maybe I had a bit of regret for quitting the way I did but I was married now, and I knew I had made the right decision. Chris deserved my fidelity, and that was at complete odds with Jonathan and his ... expectations. Maybe with Chris's connections in the construction industry, I could persuade him to start his OWN company and help get it off the ground! He DID build our house after all.

The elevator 'dinged' and the doors slid open. Lost in my thoughts, I waited a moment as an elderly gentleman exited.

"Ah, Ms. Danielle Reid!" The elderly man, whom I didn't recognize said. "Just the young woman I wanted to speak with. Here let me help you with that." he said taking the box from my arms and walked back toward the conference room where I had just left Jonathan.

Opening my mouth to protest, I watched as my box disappeared down the hall. Trailing along like a lost puppy dog, I followed him as he walked down the hall and into the Conference room setting my box down on the table.

I had never seen him before, yet he clearly knew me AND his way around the office. What REALLY caught my eye though, was how Jonathan's demeanor changed entirely when he saw my escort. Gone was the cocky, smarmy look that often donned his face, replacing it was ... fear? Respect?

I began paying more attention to this old man. He was old, yes, but he carried an air authority about him. If he stood in a noisy, crowded room and spoke in a whisper, everyone would become silent to hear what he had to say.

"Come on in here Ms. Reid, have a seat." he requested, holding a chair out for me.

"Actually Sir, it's Anderson now." I explained. "I got married this past weekend."

"My apologies Mrs. Anderson, and congratulations!" He said with the warmest, most sincere look on his face. "Please ... Sit."

My heart was fluttering and I found myself obeying his request even before I told my legs to move. Stepping up to the chair he held for me, I smoothed my skirt and he slid the chair in as I sat. Crossing my legs, I pulled the chair in to the table, while he sat down in the chair to my left, at the head of the table.

"Sit down Jonathan!" he ordered, and my former boss leaped to obey.

"You don't remember me do you?" he asked softly, turning to me and looking me in the eyes.

"I'm sorry Sir." I apologized.

"That's OK darling." He reassured me. "We met only briefly at Smith, Stanley & Jacobsens' Christmas party a year and a half ago year. We never actually spoke directly; but you don't become a success in this industry without having an eye for new talent, and I saw an untapped potential in you. I have to say young lady, you exceeded even my expectations."

"I'm sorry Sir." I interrupted. "I still don't know who you are."

"Jonathan Pierce ... Sr." He said extending his hand to shake mine. "but YOU can call me Jon."

Shaking his hand, I was a bit numb with shock.

"I started this little company 50 years ago now. My grandson here" he said indicating Jonathan. "likes to think it's his though. For the most part, I leave him be, just so long as he isn't screwing something up!" he said turning to glare at my former boss.

"Grandpa!" Jonathan Jr cried.

"Don't you Grandpa me! I should fire you for what you've put this young woman through!" Turning back to me, he smiled again.

"When I met you, I was amazed a young woman like yourself was versed in SO MANY subjects. It seemed like you knew something about everything. You had the ability to carry your own weight in every conversation, no matter if it was clothes and handbags, or sports and politics! You also had grace, poise, and were very well mannered. I made a few inquiries and had HR reach out to you. Sorry I had Tammie call you on a Sunday but you have to 'strike while the iron is hot', to use a common cliché."

So THIS man was the reason I got the job, and I STILL couldn't remember him.

"I knew immediately you would be a great asset to the company but I figured you would also need some experience. Jonathan here has been on my watch list for some time now but he was also the only salesman who didn't have an assistant, and it showed in his sales figures." he said and lowering his voice, finished. "I really didn't want to have to fire him, it would make the holidays awkward."

I was still a little out of sorts not quite knowing what to make of everything going on suddenly.

"I'm confusing you" he said, correctly reading the expression on my face. "so I will get right to the point. I'm getting old. I know I'm not going to be here forever, I need someone I trust to be able to take over operations here. Initially I thought Jonathan might be that person, so for the last couple of years I have taken a hands off approach. Regardless of what some might think, I am not an idiot, and I pay VERY close attention to my company and I know EVERYTHING that goes on here."

"Sir ... I can explain." I pleaded, suddenly feeling the need to defend my actions of the last year.

"You have nothing to explain my dear." he said sympathetically. "I understand all too well! You're driven! You want to succeed, and you strive for that success ... but ... not ... at the expense ... of the law!" he said raising his eyebrows as he looked at me.

There had been only one job in the past year I worked on we didn't get. The buyer wanted us to handle the transaction in a way I found ... dubious. It was the only contract I walked away from.

"Oh Yes! I know about that too." he said reading the recollection on my face. "You made the right decision Mrs. Anderson, and you made me proud!"

My nervousness faded with the compliment and I started to feel a bit warm inside. 'Maybe my career ISN'T over!' I thought.

"As I was saying, I pay very close attention to the performance of my sales staff, and when I see a below average salesman improve by over 300% to take the top sales position in less than a year ... well then ... I look to see what is different. And in the past year the ONLY thing different is you!" He continued, looking at me. "When I started getting calls from friends and colleagues asking why someone I spoke so highly of, was suddenly being blackballed? Well! I put a stop to that rather quickly!" he said glaring at Jonathan, who was now turning a sickly green. "My grandson is a FOOL! He has no idea what it takes to build something, or re-build something, but YOU DO!" he said gesturing at me with his finger. "I can see it in your eyes."

'Yeah, MY LIFE!' I thought to myself and I ached to tell him but I didn't dare.

"Jonathan here may be willing to accept your resignation, I ... am not." He said in a tone that brooked 'no nonsense.'

"Sir ... Mr. Pierce." I started.

"Please, call me Jon."

"Jon. I tendered my resignation because I felt it was no longer in my best interest to work as a personal assistant. I'm married now, and I want to spend more time with my Husband and less time on the road."

"I agree! I think your talents are being wasted as a mere personal assistant." Jon continued. "Fortunately, I have an open position for a Director of Sales."

"What are you saying?" I asked slightly confused, knowing this was the position Jonathan had been coveting since I started.

"I need someone to work the home office. Oversee the sales staff. Close any tough sells."

My eyes widened as I began seeing where this conversation was leading.

"Hey! Wait, What!?" Jonathan squeaked, vocalizing my thoughts.

"Well?" Jon asked, ignoring his grandson. "What do you say?"

"Jon, I'm flattered but ... I don't even have a degree! Let alone an MBA" I argued.

"I don't even have a high school diploma my Dear." he countered. "Success comes from within, it comes from what drives us, instinct guides us toward it, IF you know the signs. Success does NOT come from a bunch of letters behind ones name." he continued, never breaking eye contact with me. "So ... what do you say?"

"I ... ah!" I muttered, struggling for the words.

"I tell you what, I'll even throw in a corner office to sweeten the deal." he said, extending his hand. "Do we have a deal?"

"We have a deal!" I said, shaking his hand, smiling from ear to ear while Jonathan whimpered at the other end of the table.

"Seeing as Jonathan now works for you, and considering what he has put you through this past year, I would understand if you wanted to fire him as your first act as Director." Jon confided. "It would have been awkward for me to fire him but that's not my call anymore." he said winking.

"Well thank you Jon." I said turning to look at Jonathan. "but ... I think I am going to refrain from making any major personnel changes on my first day." Jonathan, who had apparently finished turning colors, now appeared to be about to throw up.

"Well! Now that that is taken care of, I have a fishing charter waiting for me." Jon said slapping his thighs. Pushing back his chair and standing up with a groan, he continued. "and you I imagine, have a Honeymoon to go on!"

"Actually Ssss, Jon." I corrected myself in mid speak. "We had to cancel the honeymoon."

"Cancel the honeymoon!" he cried. "My God! Why?"

My eyes flicked toward Jonathan in response.

"And you sure you don't want to fire him?" he lowered his voice to say.

"I'm sure." I responded with a chuckle.

"Well in that case, you do know, as a Senior member of the staff, you are entitled to the use of the lodge?"

"Lodge?" I inquired, a quizzical look on my face.

"My assistant will be contacting you shortly with all the information you need." he said with a fatherly smile. "She will also be able to answer any other questions you may have. Now ... unless you need me for anything else?"

"Actually Sir ... Jon." I said correcting myself. That was going to take some getting used to. "Could you have Cindy meet me in my new office." It was easy to know which office was going to be mine as there was only one empty, corner office, in the entire suite. It was the one Jonathan had his eyes on constantly, the one he was convinced he was going to get because of my "assistance."

"Of course my Dear!" he said excusing himself.

Standing in the center of my new office, I looked around. It was empty and seemed so large, especially with all the light flooding in. I turned when I heard a noise behind me to find Cindy standing there looking seriously confused. She looked around, looked at me, looked back out the door and pointed at the retreating figure I knew to be Jon. She had so many questions she didn't even know where to begin. I gave her a soft smile to calm her nerves a bit.

"Who WAS that?" She asked when she finally rediscovered her voice. "What are we doing in here? I thought you quit? And why is Mr. Pierce in the bathroom throwing up?"

"Are you still planning on quitting Cindy?" I asked ignoring her questions for now.

"I can't keep working for him Danielle." she replied shaking her head. "I can't!"

"And what if you worked for me?" I asked with a smile on my face. The shocked look on her face turning into a smile was all the answer I needed.

Cindy was the best, she was, and still is, my 'Go to' girl. I offered her a sales position a few years back, including a substantial pay raise. She turned it down saying 'she preferred working with me.'

'It's hard to believe it's been that long now.' I think to myself, my fingers still running over the leather of the corset.

"You know!" Chris' deep voice behind me shatters my train of thought, bringing me back to the present, the hard leather case in my hand. "Without even looking at a calender, I can tell you it's October 22nd."

"What do you mean?" I ask, closing the lid, a faint snick letting me know its latched again.

"Well, every year, on October 22nd, you pull that old leather box down, open it up, and look at the corset inside like it's a long lost friend." he replied.

"I ..." I started saying before he cut me off with a kiss and a hug.

"Can't believe I paid enough attention to notice?" he asked, raising his eyebrows. "Maybe someday you'll tell me it's story?"

Thankfully I had been preparing for that question for nearly 8 years now.

"You wouldn't believe me if I told you." I responded. When I saw his mouth open to rebut my dismissal I continued placing a hand on his hard chest. "BUT ... I will tell you this. October 22nd was the day I bought it ... and it changed my life!" I explained cryptically. "Everything I have ... everything ... is because of this." I said patting the hard leather case. "It helped make me who I am, and totally changed my relationship with Jennifer. Without it, you and I would've never met, I would have never gotten my job. Without meeting, you and I would have never gotten married, not to mention our three beautiful children."

"Four." he said resting his hand on my swollen belly. "You forgot this one."

"You're right ... Four!" I responded, blowing a shuddering breath through tight lips. Smiling, I rested my hand on his, marveling at the squirming going on inside me.

"Sadly, you won't be able to wear it today." Chris muttered, looking at the corset with more than a hint of regret.

"Just a couple more months, then I'll wear it." I promised. He loved it as much as I did, in no small part to the fact I was wearing on both the night we met AND the day he first proposed.

"So what time will Jennifer and the boys be here?" he asked

"What do you mean?" I asked coyly.

"It's October 22nd!" he explained. "You and Jennifer ALWAYS do something on October 22nd. I figured this year considering your current state that ... Jennifer and the boys would be coming here."

"You know me too well my love." I replied. "They're coming over for supper but I told them to come anytime."

"Good, that kinda fits what I thought." he said looking at his watch. "I'm gonna go fire up the smoker. It'll be pushing it but I think I can have everything done by suppertime."

I caught his hand as he turned to leave. Stopping, he turned to look back at me with a quizzical look on his face.

"I LOVE you Chris!"

"I love you too Danielle!" he replied pulling me back into his arms.

'What a crazy journey.' I thought as I rested in his arms, his hands on my swollen belly again. 'What a wonderful, CRAZY journey!'

Epilogue

You may be wondering what happened to all of the major players in this little story. Well I'll let you know what I can.

JIM? Jim aka Jamie, never changed. Jamie was every bit the predator Jim ever was, being a woman just made it easier. She and Mike conceived that night in my old apartment. Unfortunately, she was never able to accept the baby she and Mike made together. She did carry the baby to term, to her credit, and even tried making it work with Mike. That lasted all of 6 months after the baby was born before she abandoned it, and Mike.

Mike, maybe not so surprising considering he was always the more chivalrous one, loves that beautiful baby girl more than anything in the world and is, justifiably in my opinion, SO protective of her. Jennifer and I actually run into him now and then at school functions, mostly soccer matches. He was a little leery about talking to us at first but he seems to have gotten over that. Honestly, I would have to say of all the lives affected by the corset, his, I think, changed the most.

As for Justin, well he ended up leaving the firm, and started his own where he doesn't allow his employees to work more than 50 hours per week. He is one of the few lawyers I trust and as such I decided to keep him and his new firm as our General Council instead of sticking with Smith, Stanley & Jacobsens'. He's married now to a nurse named Sarah he met at the coffee shop. They are expecting their second child in a few months.

Jonathan Pierce? I keep him around the office as a lesson to others and because he actually does have good instincts, he just doesn't know how to capitalize on them.

Cindy reconnected with her High School Sweetheart, via social media, and will be celebrating their fifth anniversary this year. With her by my side we have, in the past eight years, increased revenue by over 600%.

Me? I married Christopher, obviously, and we have been married 7 years now. We have 3 children, Two boys, Jason and Allen, and a precocious little girl, Allison. We have another one on the way and decided, since we already have boys and girls, to let it be a surprise.

I have finally gotten some amount of control of my emotions, it's taken 10 years but it's nice that I am not reduced to a blubbering ball of tears all the time.