Castaway Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Maddy, what I told you before is still true. I will probably always love your mom, but I won't ever be able to trust her again. As for you, I will always do anything I can to help you out. I meant it when I said I want you to visit me. Heck, bring your girlfriend out here, too. I really want to meet her, as well as see you."

"Heh," she chuckled, "Are you trying to buy my happiness now?"

"Who? Meeeeee? Never." She knew I was joking, but it was still good to hear her laughter on the other end. I thought I also heard another distinctly feminine giggle in the background.

"Ok, you win. Since its summer break still, we have time. Send me the tickets and we will come. For future reference, her name is Sarah Jones." I had to hold the phone away from my ear, as I heard two very happy ladies screaming on the other end. "WOOOHOOO! WE'RE GOING TO HAWAII!!"

The noise finally died down, and we said our goodbyes. I knew I had a lot of work ahead of me, but the very least I could do was to continue showing her that I loved her. With that call done with, I sat back on the lounger, and finished off my drink.

It was still barely mid-afternoon here, but back home it was getting a little late. I was still a bit jet-lagged, but not enough to make me ready for bed yet. I got up, went back inside, and looked over those pamphlets again. There was the one for a helicopter tour. There was one, for a snorkeling dive expedition which sounded fun, but perhaps a little more effort than I wanted to give right now. I saw the military museums page again, and put it towards the top of the stack. I saw one for a bus tour of the city, which looked interesting and fit with my lazy, Rum fueled, attitude.

After reviewing several others, I decided to go with the bus tour of the city. It sounded like fun, and would require very little effort on my part. I called the concierge, and Kim was very helpful in setting it up for me. That girl might actually get me in trouble while I was here. After locking up the hut, I went to the front desk.

The bus was already waiting there, so I just got on, and away we went! The tour lasted two hours, and drove all over the city. There was a lot of neat looking shops, as well as a few restaurants that I was going to have to try out. I noted the name of one, called Island Jim's, which looked like the perfect place for dinner tonight. It barely stood out against the façade of the buildings around it, and had a 'hole-in-the-wall' look to it. I almost imagined this was the kind of place that would end up on one of my favorite cooking channel shows, the one with that guy and the crazy hair.

I was dropped off back at the resort, where I went and changed to go out for dinner. I took a cab back to the place, and sat at the bar. The staff was all very friendly, and the food was excellent. I ended up having some local seared AHI tuna, and a local fruit with a name that I cannot pronounce. While sitting and eating, I did my usual people-watching.

There was a group of four sitting near the door that looked like a bunch of muscle-bound athletes. They were all laughing and drinking, and looked like they had finished eating a long time ago. Looking to a table a few away from them, I saw three women, eating various fish plates. To the right of the door was a couple, holding hands while they sat and had an after dinner glass of wine. Sitting further down the bar from me, was an older gentleman, who seemed content to chatting with the young woman behind the bar.

Heh, I guess even an older guy like that might have a chance here in Hawaii. I signaled the bartender that I needed another beer, and as she brought it to me, the guy at the end of the bar slid off his stool and walked down towards me. He climbed onto the stool next to me, and extended his hand.

"Howard Denton," he said, as I shook the outstretched hand.

"James Holmes," I answered.

"So what brings you to this paradise all alone?" he asked. Wow, he got to the bone real quick with that question.

I figured the truth might be shocking, but kind of wanted to see his reaction. "Basically, my business partner tried to kill me, and somehow convinced my wife that I had cheated on her, which I never did. On top of that, she has been cheating on me, with him, for god knows how long! Now, how messed up is that, all just days before our wedding anniversary?"

He just started laughing. NOT the reaction I had expected, but there was definitely healing in those bellows. He was laughing so hard, it was infectious, and I laughed with him.

"That has to be the most messed up situation I've ever heard of, and I should know. My wife left me three years ago, for a much younger guy. She claimed he had a horse cock and made her scream. Too bad the little boy had no money, and she didn't get the fortune from me she thought she would. Hahahahaha!" He continued his laughter, and slapped me hard on the back. "James, you just made my day. Let me buy you a drink!"

Who was I to argue with a free drink and a funny companion? We sat and had another round, while commiserating about the pains of the women in our lives. He seemed to be in a good mood about the whole thing, making me jealous that my wounds were still so fresh. At least the alcohol was making it all better, for now.

After the bartender told us it was last call, I got up and put out my hand. "It has been pleasing... a pleasure... meeting you," I slurred. I hoped he understood, and that his 'drunk ass' translator was working.

"Get over here," he said, as he pulled me in for a manly hug. "You are fun to... I mean... It was fun talking to you." His drunk slurring was about the same as mine, so we were in like company.

At this, he hiccupped, and we stumbled out the door, holding each other upright. The bartender called out to us, asking if she should call us a cab. Howard waved at her, and yelled out, "NO THANKS!"

One of the most surreal days of my life, was ending on a completely drunken note. Howard and I made our way slowly down the street. He turned us towards the marina, and I had a nagging worry in the back of my foggy brain, that he was going to mug me, and toss me in the water. I would have worried more, but was too damn drunk to care.

We made our way down the pier, to a very large looking yacht. It must have had three decks above water, with the top being one of those extra wheels where you can steer the boat from, aside from the one in the main wheelhouse. It had a lot of port holes, and looked like a smaller RIB boat on deck for a launch.

"Welcome to my humble abode," he slurred, waving his arm wide at the boat. "Want to come..." hiccup, "aboard?"

I had nowhere better to be, so accepted with a nod. That nod was a big mistake, as the world started spinning. I grabbed the side of the boat, to get back to seeing straight, and then climbed aboard slowly. We went inside, to a large living room style cabin, and I sat on a plush chair. He got out another bottle, this one with no label, but sloshed some dark brown liquid inside it. Without words, he poured two snifters full with no ice, and handed me one. I vaguely remember us finishing them, and that was about it. I don't even remember the conversation we might have had.

I awoke to the sounds of seagulls, and the gentle rocking of the water. I vaguely remembered sitting in an overstuffed chair, drinking some really smooth Rum. My head was swimming, and my mouth was dry like a desert. I got up, and after stabilizing myself, moved to a small refrigerator next to the couch, and got out a bottle of water. I chugged half of it then stopped to take a deep breath. I really needed to cut back on the booze, of course, that's what everyone says when they are hungover.

Looking around the marina, I saw a lot of other boats. Some were as big as Howards, but most were small to mid-sized in comparison. The sun was just coming up over some distant mountain peak, and the breeze was a welcome comfort. Aside from a raging headache, the scene was breathtaking.

I heard some grumbling from the stairs that led below deck, and assumed that Howard was waking up in the same condition I was, or worse. He came up, stumbling as he went, and was mumbling some words that I couldn't make out. He flopped down on the couch, raised his head, and started laughing.

"Son," he looked right at me, "THAT was a heck of a night!"

"Agreed, but I could really use some coffee and Ibuprofen right about now."

He nodded, and walked over to a cabinet, taking out a bottle. He tossed it at me, and then went over to another tall cabinet on the opposite wall. He opened it, and behind it was a cleverly hidden coffee pot. I opened the pill bottle, shaking out four of them, as he got the coffee brewing. I took the pills, using the remaining water I had, then sat back down on the chair I had slept in.

"Got any plans for today?" he asked.

"Actually, yeah. I have to tie up some loose ends back in Virginia, and look for a place to live out here. Right now, I am just staying over at White Sands Resort."

Howard made a harrumph sound, and sat down on the couch to wait for the coffee. "If you get any free time, or need help with anything, give me a call."

He pulled a card out of his shirt pocket, and handed it to me. Several thoughts ran through my addled brain at that moment. Why did he have cards in his shirt pocket? How did he still have them in there, after all the drinking we did last night? Lastly, what did he want with me, other than as a drinking buddy?

"Sure thing," I answered instead.

I was really in no shape for a long drawn out conversation anyhow. He served me a mug of coffee, and got one for himself. We sat quietly, and had our drinks, just enjoying the breeze and quiet tranquility of the harbor. After a while, he looked at me, and spoke.

"So what are you going to do now? You said last night that you are selling your business, so what's next?"

When he wanted to, he just got right to the point. He must have been a hell of a businessman, before he retired. Thinking about it, I don't remembered telling him about selling off the business, so I must have been really drunk and blacked out.

"Honestly, I don't know yet. I've decided to move here, but hadn't quite gotten that far yet. If I can find a way, I would still love to fly."

He nodded, and looked deep in thought. "Ok, well if you need anything until you DO figure it out, let me know."

With that, I said thanks and got off his boat. I took a cab back to the resort, where I promptly went to my hut and collapsed onto the bed. Sleep was a beautiful thing, until my phone started ringing again.

"Hello," I answered, into the pillow.

"Mr. Holmes, I was just calling to see if we were still on for some house hunting today?"

Oh shit, I had completely forgotten. "Yes, of course. I'm running a little behind, but can meet you in about thirty minutes, ok?"

"Certainly. See you then."

Shit shit shit. I rushed into the bathroom, took a quick shower and threw on some clean clothes. I did a quick brushing of my teeth, and ran out for the concierge desk. Kim was there again, looking as gorgeous as ever.

"Hey Kim, could you help me out? Your friend Leia is meeting me, and she told me to ask you where she liked to go for coffee. That's where I am supposed to meet her."

"Ah, yes Mr. Holmes. She enjoys going to a place about two blocks away from here, called Kona Hut. Honestly, it's just a normal coffee shop, but it's a nice little place."

I thanked her, and ran out the front door. I got a cab to take me the two blocks, which I was thankful for. These blocks were not the same as blocks in Virginia. This resort was at least two miles down the road from the nearest cross street, and yet another two miles to the second one. I tipped the cab driver, and he pulled away as I walked in.

A woman stood up from a table by the door, obviously a native islander. She was gorgeous, with the dark skin and smooth, raven black hair. She smiled brightly, and waved me to a chair in front of her at the table. She had spread out in front of her, at least ten different print-outs of homes that I guess we were going to look at.

"Hello Mr. Holmes. I am Leia," she said softly.

"Hi, and please, call me James."

"OK, James it is. First, let's go over these and narrow it down to ones that you actually like the look of. No point in checking out a place if you think it's ugly. I pulled these up based on the things you and I talked about yesterday."

"Sounds good to me."

I guess it was going to be Hakuna Matata, again today. My new daily mantra.

We sat and looked over the ten she had pre-selected for me. She went over the finer points of them all, as well as the possible problems with a few. I wasn't afraid of doing a little home repair, but also didn't want an outright lemon of a house. I narrowed it down to three homes that I wanted to see in person, so we agreed to meet up at the coffee shop again the next day, early enough to get to them all by lunch.

I went back to the resort, and decided that I would now get that nap in. I woke up a few hours later, still feeling the effects of the drinking, just not as bad as earlier. I took a few more ibuprofen, a bottle of water, and walked out onto the sand of the beach. I sat in the chair for a while, just relaxing, listening to the waves. When it was about three in the afternoon, my phone rang.

"James, its Tony. There is news about Cyrus, but I will just send you a link to a news article about that. Sufficed to say, he will no longer be causing you any problems. The feds are still combing through the records of your company, but from what they tell me, there isn't any evidence that he used the legal business for any of his illegal activities. The only thing they found so far, is some evidence at his warehouse, that he was planning to use the planes for some flights to Mexico.

"Because of all that has happened, the judge ruled in your favor, and has granted the request for you to dissolve the partnership. It's legally 100% yours now. Did you want me to pull the trigger on that West Coast offer, after the feds are done of course?"

I was stunned. Things have been moving fast, but I had no idea it would go this fast. Honestly, I was overjoyed at the prospect of cutting this last tie loose. It saddened me, as the company had been like my second baby after Maddy, but I also felt I needed to get rid of it. Just thinking about it reminded me of Cyrus and when we had started it together. Oh well, Hakuna Matata. I would have to read that article, later. Probably after more Rum, a lot of Rum.

"Yes, please do. Thanks again, for everything, Tony."

After such great news, I felt energized again. I got up, went back to the main building and had an early dinner at the in-house restaurant. I checked my phone, and opened the link Tony had sent regarding the news and Cyrus. There was a big picture of a motel. I was assuming it was the one that Curt had mentioned seeing him hide out at. Anyhow, the picture showed several cop cars, from various agencies and departments, and even a SWAT van.

The article was a little short on detail, but basically stated that the FBI had coordinated a raid on the motel, assisted by the ATF and local law enforcement, responding to an anonymous tip about the fugitive Cyrus Black. Authorities consider him armed and extremely dangerous. The raid turned up a lot of evidence, but the fugitive is still at large.

Well, he appears to have finally figured out how to run like a proper criminal. I had a nagging worry that he might cause trouble later on, but for now, he was out of the picture. With that many cops looking out for him, I at least hoped that he would stay away for a long while. That night I slept wonderfully, and woke up feeling refreshed.

I took one last look through the three homes that we had narrowed down, and then went to meet Leia. She took me to all three places, and to be honest, all three were just ok. I really didn't fall in love with any of them, at least not enough to buy anyhow. She took me to lunch, where she asked me a few questions, and told me that she would keep hunting for me. Leia dropped me off at the resort, and told me she would keep in touch.

For the next few days, I used the heck out of that beach chair. I did get up and went to the resort gym a few times, just so I didn't get flabby with all the good food and booze. A few days later, while sitting in the chair, it just came to me. I was watching the birds fly around, and a few boats passed by, when I realized the answer was right in front of me.

I called up Leia, and asked her to look into boats for sale, that could fit the space I had asked for. She laughed, until she realized I was serious, and then told me that she would get back to me. I'm sure boats weren't her specialty, but it couldn't be that hard, really. It took another two days, but she came to the resort, and sat with me out on the beach. She showed me several options, and I saw the one that I wanted right away. Of course I would still go see it in person, but I fell in love with it almost immediately.


The picture showed a tall and proud wooden boat. The hull was all white, with a dark stained railing and trim all the way around. The sheet said it was 36' long, had five berths and two heads, and was launched in 1972. I guessed that berths meant bedrooms and heads was bathrooms. It had a new, single Cat diesel engine, and had recently been cruised to Alaska and back. Her name was 'Lady of the Night', and was listed at a price I could live with. We went to visit the old girl in person, and my god, was she magnificent. The interior was restored and as well cared for as the exterior had been. Love had obviously gone into the care of this boat.

I told Leia that I wanted it, and for her to work her magic to get it for me. I spent the rest of the day on cloud nine, thinking of all the fun I would have on that boat. Now I just had to figure out what I would do for the rest of my life. I felt like I was asking myself that age old question, 'What do you wanna be when you grow up?'

I knew, without a doubt, that I still wanted to fly. It was my first love, my first passion. Unlike the cheating ass wife that I loved, flying would never let me down. I was never going to work for the government again, that much was certain. That asshole from FEMA just nailed it home that you can't trust anyone.

Maybe I would do something for myself? I wondered if there were any charter services around here? Perhaps I could find one of the smaller islands that has a few people living on it, or has tourists, and fly them? I thought about that one movie, with Harrison Ford, and felt like that would be fun. Food for thought anyhow. I would ask Kim. That woman knew everything, plus she was always very nice to be around.

Regardless of all that, I had to finish the official stuff, so I could get back to my Beach Pineapple drinks. Amazingly, those things never really made me feel hungover, only when I had hung out with Howard and had that dark stuff. Must be the juice hydrating me? I guess it didn't matter, really.

I went to the resort main building, to their mobile office area, and printed off the power of attorney document that Tony had sent me. I read it over twice, making sure I wasn't giving him too much power. It was exactly as I had asked for, specifically granting him ONLY the authority to handle the transfer of assets and funds regarding the sale of my business and partnership.

I filled in the information that I needed to, and took it out to the main desk. I asked Kim if she could notarize it for me, and she said that she could. I signed it, and she stamped it with something she pulled out of a drawer, and then signed it herself. Was there anything this woman couldn't do? She was even able to arrange for it to be sent priority mail, back to Tony in Virginia.