Click on Chat

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Last Friday when she disappeared did she seem disturbed about anything? Fill me in on what you know about last Friday."

"Well, lets see. I don't know for sure but I think she had an appointment about 10:30 maybe 11 o'clock. She called me on the cell phone about 3 pm maybe, I didn't really notice the time exactly, but she seemed fine, just checking in about the business."

"Melody use any drugs, alcohol, have any strange friends that you know of?"

"Never knew her to use drugs, perhaps when she was younger. She's lived in Vegas for lots of years. She used to dance professionally a long time ago."

"Say's on the report she's divorced. What can you tell me about her ex husband."

"Actually I never met any of them, there were three or four that I know of."

Paul just looked up with a smile on his face. "Boyfriend"

"No I don't. Oh, you mean Mel Not that I know of. Nothing serious enough to bring to girl talk."

"Girl talk, what's that?"

"Oh we'd go down to the patio table outside and have a cigarette and chit chat ya know."

"You smoke?"

"Uh huh, in fact I could use a cigarette right about now. Do you mind, we'll have to go outside down to the table?"

"Sure, I could use one also."

With that Detective Paul Harris and Suzette left for a few more hours of questioning which would probably look to the casual observer as chit chat. After what Suzette felt was a positively lovely afternoon, the investigation had begun.

Eight days went by without any news. Then it broke. A retired Sheriffs Deputy turned property appraiser was checking out a rural location when he noticed a "god awful" smell coming from the garage behind a residence. He'd smelled it before unfortunately and knew what it was. The first to arrive were deputy sheriffs whom had the good sense to leave the crime scene untouched. Next to arrive were the CSI's and the process began. The doors to the barn were locked with a chain from the inside, so the overhead door track had to be taken off the header and lowered onto the cement pad in front of the barn. A car with two bodies in the back seat was discovered. A local woman reported missing thirteen days earlier, and a yet to be determined male companion. When the CSI's found a purse with a driver's license of the missing Melody Sullivan, they contacted the detective in charge of the case Paul Harris.

Suze checked the caller ID on her phone LAS VEGAS POLICE

"Hello."

"Is this Suzette?"

"Yes it is"

"Suzette this is Paul Harris. Ah ......we think we've found Melody Sullivan and I'm afraid the news is not good."

Paul launched into a description of what had been found at the rural homestead. He was going out there once the CSI's were finished and he'd have a look around. A couple of detectives had already gone through Melody's apartment a few days after she was reported missing but the CSI's were getting a search warrant to give to the landlord formally to take some evidence. There was going to be a press release coming and it would also likely hit the late evening news. The newspapers would also pick up the story tomorrow.

"Detective Harris I have Mocha at my house."

"What's a Mocha"

"Melody's cat. When I went over to Mel's place Saturday morning I noticed her food dish was empty. I filled that and her water bowl. When I hadn't heard anything from Mel on Monday I went back and her food bowl was again empty, so I brought her back to my place."

"So you were at Mel's place on Saturday and Monday, any other times?"

"No, just the two times. Everything else seemed so normal....Oh god"

"Don't worry. I'll be getting back to you in a day or so and I'll try and keep you updated with what I can. At least the stuff we release to the news media. I'm sorry for your loss Suzette, I really am. I had hoped for a better outcome."

"Call me Suze Detective Harris, and I appreciate all you're doing. I really do."

Paul Harris did make a visit to the crime scene the next day. Not much to see though. His instinct told him volumes but he kept that to himself. He also paid a visit to a local rental car agency that owned the car Melody was found in. They provided him with some further information, in particular some Video Surveillance Tapes of the male that had rented the car. Paul looked at the VST's and didn't notice anything particularly unusual. Identifying the male companion that was found took a bit more time. The drivers license found in a second purse in the vehicle turned out to be bogus. The credit cards found with the drivers license were valid, and had been used recently, but they too didn't check out address wise. He'd taken some of the better of the fingerprints lifted from the decomposed body and on a hunch sent them up to Boise Idaho where the credit cards had been issued.

"Detective Harris please, this is Sgt Rob Morrison calling, Boise Idaho."

"Paul Harris speaking."

"Hey Paul, this is Rob. We got an ID on your victim. You're gonna love this too. He's a probation jumper by the name of Julian Randolph Moore. He's got a rap sheet going back 15 years. Very naughty boy. Did ten years in the state pen for rape. I'm still getting information on him. We did a search of his last known address and it looks as though he was still living there. Found a computer which we have in our lab right now while the IT guys go through it. The addresses you gave me were almost bogus. It was a vacant room at one of our half way houses. Julian did a years stay there, so he knew the routines at the place."

"Anything else about his apartment?"

"Yeah, he had a few woman's outfits. Make up and stuff. Apparently he liked to cross dress. Found receipts and packages from some mail order places."

"His suitcase here had some women's outfits also. His body was dressed in drag as well. There were some leather restraints used on both. Did you find anything related there."

"Empty packages from a bondage equipment supplier, but I won't tell you how I know that." Chuckle

"Keep me up to date if you will. I'd like a copy of the probation officers report and what you find when you've finished interviewing the residents at the half way house."

"I'll do it. Should wrap up my end in a few days."

In checking the active credit card accounts Julian was using under the name Harold Carpenter he found many interesting purchases. He found that Julian had stayed at the Holiday Hotel, checked in for a four day stay, but wasn't seen after the first couple of days. The room keys were found the room day three and house keeping had assumed he'd checked out. The room had be resold 14 times since and cleaned after each visitor had left. Smoking rooms rented out quicker than non's, so the CSI's didn't bother making anything other than a short visit to snap some photo's. The front desk of the Holiday had a VST and they'd sent that over. That was the most interesting piece of the puzzle so far. Julian had also used the credit cards at the Riviera Casino and drawn out $10,000 worth of chips on two different times. The first draw was the night he got to town, for a thousand, then again on the second afternoon for another nine thousand. The Riviera was sending over the VST's taken of the transactions. There were a couple of witnesses that had come forward, one was Melody Sullivan's lawyer and the other was a local barber shop owner near where her office was. Paul had some hunches. He'd always been the kind to follow the money, and something was really funky going on.

"Suzette, this is Paul Harris."

"Hi Paul, how's it going."

"Ok I guess, but I'm going to need a few of Melody's things from the office."

"What things. The office is pretty well shut down right now. I haven't really felt well about Melody's passing. I haven't been there in days."

"Well, we need her computer. I can't elaborate as I'm sure you understand, but we need her hard drive."

"OK, I guess. But you'll need both computers, and our server, and our router also I think."

"I guess I don't follow you, but if you'll meet the CSI's over there in about an hour, you can just give them what they need."

"Of course Paul, what ever you need, you're welcome to. I'll head over right now and unlock the door."

Suze did meet the CSI's at the office. And after she explained how the computer PC's were connected to the router, and the server and the inter office connections between the two machines, the CSI's did indeed take all of the items. Suze was quietly confident however, that their best search ever would not find the things she'd hidden.

Chapter Ten

Detective Harris peered over the file on Melody Sullivan. He had it completed, but there was still a nagging feeling in his gut. He looked through it one last time late on Wednesday evening. The CSI report. Very detailed. He brushed though the highlights

The bodies of Melody Sullivan and Julian Moore were severely decomposed by the heat and number of days. Both had died of carbon monoxide poisoning with the time of death being a range of 8 hours after Melody's disappearance. Toxicology reports showed that Melody was unconscious at the time of her death due to ingestion of a date rape drug. The analysis showed that the GHB was consistent with that found in a pants pocket of Julian Moore. Further, the GHB matched samples found by the Boise PD on other cases worked in that area. It was brought in from out of town. Finger prints taken from the crime scene location showed only Julians with the exception of Melody's which were found on a large diet coke container in the front seat. The diet coke had residue of the GHB and was the method of ingestion. There were several unusual findings at the crime scene. Julian's prints were on several items including a piece of plywood. The tape used to connect both ends of the vacuum cleaner hose only had Julians on it, however, there were traces of nylon hosiery fabric on the glue.

Cell phone records showed only one connection, for less than ten seconds between the two cell phones. One call placed from the same cell zone for less than ten seconds. The zone was close to the Holiday Hotel. The VST from the holiday showed Julian checking in and picking up a newspaper and real estate guide. The real estate guide was found in the car with a circled page indicating the location. Upon close examination Paul noticed that Julian had taken out two papers, and slipped one back into the vending machine. He surmised that was how Melody got a key to his room for their first interlude. Using the Holiday VST's, shortly before the time of the phone call, Melody Sullivan appeared in the lobby and used the same vending machine to purchase a newspaper. Melody was wearing an airline hostess uniform and large dark sunglasses which were found in her closet at home. She had paused outside to make a brief call and lit up a cigarette. Curiously enough, the barber shop owner who came forward as a witness, was one hundred percent sure it was Melody by the way she limped and lit her cigarette. He'd observed her taking cigarette breaks for years, and although he had never met her, he was familiar enough with her movements to be one hundred percent positive it was her on the VST.

The lawyer who had come forward indicated to Paul that Melody was having financial trouble and had indeed instructed him to file her bankruptcy. During their final conversation, Melody had told him to hold off for a day or two as she was expecting some money to come her way. To his knowledge, Suzette Rampling, Melody's business partner was unaware of her financial difficulties.

The VST taken of the drive through window at Big Mac's confirmed that Julian, dressed as a woman, was the soul occupant of the car. The two counter clerks that handled the transaction did not clearly see the face of the buyer, but one male, 17 years old remarked "she had big boobs and long fingernails."

When Julian picked up Melody, there was only one questionable witness who owned a card shop in the strip mall behind Big Mac's. She definitely recalled Melody getting into a dark blue car with another woman. When showed a picture of the dark blue Chevy Impala, she was one hundred percent certain that was the car that picked her up

The VST's provided by the Riviera Casino showed an airline hostess, later identified by the barber entering the main door at the casino on the afternoon of the disappearance. The airline hostess moved over to one of the Players Club ATMs, looked at her watch noting the time, and then stepped behind an unknown man waiting a turn. The VST however, at the time of the transaction withdrawing the $9,000 in chips, only showed the man. That was curious.

Paul's final report agreed with the CSI report. Julian killed Melody, either by accident or intentional suicide/homicide.

"Rob Morrison this is Paul Harris down in Vegas, how are you today?"

"I'm fine Paul and you? How are you coming?"

"Putting the final touches on the file. Murder/suicide is the conclusion. What did you guys make of the note I expressed up to you and did you finish the interviews with the residents of the halfway house?"

"I got the interviews done. Nobody there knew anything. I guess I talked with the wrong half huh?"

Paul chuckled at his reference. "What about the note?"

"Well, very interesting. Hand writing analysis indicated that it was all Julians hand writing. But, he did it in two pieces. The first was done in a well thought out manner, and the final third was done in a hurry, and perhaps an agitated state of mind. But here's the shocker. One of the state police guys who's retired several years ago, heard about Julian. He paid me a visit. When he read the last part of Julian's note, he recalled some missing women cases that happened the two previous years before Julian went to prison. We pulled the old files out of the archives and low and behold, the things Julian had written matched precisely with those crimes. Ed's hunch at the time was Julian Moore, he just didn't have the connection. Those files are on the chiefs desk and he'll probably close those cases as well."

"Thanks Rob, I owe ya one. Come on down to Vegas and I'll buy you a beer."

"You're on Paul. Next trip south."

Paul closed the file. Still nagged by his gut. He'd been attracted to Suze for sure, and he didn't want his gut nagging him if they went further in their friendship. One last thing.

"Hello.." Suzettes voice sounded more chipper than normal.

"Hello Suzette. It's Paul Harris. We've completed our investigation."

"Wonderful Paul, I'm so glad. What's the conclusion?"

"Well, CSI proved it Murder/Suicide. Put before I put the lid on the file I need one more thing. Would you be willing to take a lie detector test?"

"Ah....yes I guess so....am I a suspect in something...er..?"

"Just a formality. Nothing big. Can you be down here tomorrow around 10 am?"

"Yes, of course, I'll see you then. Bye"

The following morning Suzette Rampling pulled into the downtown police parking lot. She had smoked her way through a sleepless night. She carefully put out her Virginia Slim 120 in the car's ashtray and got out. She straightened her shorter than normal skirt, checked her lip stick and make up and headed to Paul's office. After greeting Paul, whom admired her outfit, she was taken to a smaller office that was used by the polygraph technician. Paul made the introductions.

"Suzette Rampling, this is John Byers our polygraph technician, John this is Suzette."

"Hello" as Suze extended her hand.

"Good morning Suzette. Have you ever had a polygraph before.?"

"Not that I can recall' With that Paul Harris excused himself from the room, leaving a rather nervous Suzette Rampling by herself with John.

John started his well practiced explanation. The polygraph worked like this. Through the chest and finger connections, the machine will measure subtle changes in your anxiety levels as I conduct the interview. We'll start by getting abase line of your telling me your name and address and such, things we know to be true, then we'll move on to a deliberate lie, which we'll again use as a base line and then we'll get into the questions Detective Harris has given me. All of the questions will be answered by you as either yes or no. If there are any grey areas, you can take a moment to determine what the most truthful of the answers will be, but they must come as a yes or no. Any questions?

"No questions, let's get it started" was Suze's answer.

John worked his way through the hookup's and initial questions. Before long, the questions turned to the investigation.

"Did you have any prior knowledge of Melody Sullivan's bankruptcy?"

"No" John did not react.

"Prior to Melody's disappearance, had you discovered her embezzlement of your joint business funds?"

"No" John circled the answer.

"Did you disturb any evidence during the two occasions you had entered Melody's apartment after her disappearance?

"No" John circled that answer as well.

"Within you business relationship, did you ever have occasion to use Melody's computer for any reason?"

"Yes" No circle this time

"Have you ever, in your business relationships, altered in way, a clients computer data base, in a deceitful manor?"

"Yes"

"Did you have anything to do with Melody's ultimate demise?"

"No"

John looked back at the paper tape the polygraph made of their interview. He jotted some notes here and there. Finally he looked up at Suzette and smiled. "That's it. You can take off the cuff's and finger sensor's. I'll get the chest pickup for you." With that, Suzette let out a small sigh and got herself out of the chair. Upon exiting the polygraph office, Paul directed her to a waiting room and went in to visit with John for a few minutes.

Suze waited impatiently glancing from time to time at her watch. Before long Paul Harris joined her in the conference room. Paul smiled broadly.

"That's it. Your free to go. Your answers were what I expected of course, and I hope you understand why we needed to close those loose ends."

"Of course Paul. I do understand. You seem like a person who takes their job seriously, and I admire that. I'm glad it was you that did the investigation. I am assuming that now Melody's death certificate will read murder victim?"

"The cause of death will be "homicide" to be exact. And I will call and fax over a copy of the DC to your business underwriters and get Melody's loan cleaned up. What's your future plans if I might ask?"

"I don't know at this point. I had to close the business of course. I have a few things left to do with that. I've considered selling out and moving to Portland to be a little closer to my family. I guess the phase iscashing in your chips and getting out of Vegas." Suze said with a slight grin. "But first I need to use the ladies room and have a cigarette."

Paul escorted her to the ladies room and waited patiently outside. While in the ladies room Suze checked her make up in the mirror, and before leaving checked the toilet bowl to be sure that all the remnants of her bright orange urine had disappeared. Once she reunited with Paul the two of them headed to the outside. Both took out their packages of cigarettes, Paul's from his jacket pocket, and Suze from her new cigarette case which matched her purse and wallet. In the outside smoking area Paul clicked his lighter while Suzette clasped his hands in hers while bringing her VS120 to the provided flame.

"Ah, yes." She said and then began a long slow exhale which dissipated into the air.

Paul like wise lit his Marlboro with a similar look of satisfaction on his face.

"Suze, I'd like to take a chance here. It's something I've thought long and hard about, but here goes. If your going to stay in Vegas, I'd like to take you out to dinner. I haven't really been in a relationship since my divorce and I feel I'm ready. I think we have a small amount of chemistry between us, and I'd like to see where that goes. But only if your going to stay in Vegas."