Compromise

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

She gathered her belongings and stood to leave. Joey stood to join her. "Let's get you back to the hotel so you can get your car to take a trip to Hope Hill. Everyone needs to recharge their soul every once in awhile."

Joey felt a sense of relief as he drove to the Hill. He was pleased that he had enough courage to tell his full and honest position on the important parts of the contract. But he still felt sure that he would soon be leaving Port Orion for good.

When he sat on the bench on Hope Hill, the sun was still up a bit and the girls behind him were all inside. He became mesmerized through the quiet and calm of the moment. He soon leaned forward and closed his eyes to try and keep back the tears that were forming. He would miss the Gillihan family, but he didn't know how he would survive without Laura.

Just before the sunset started, he heard a noise to his side and could tell that someone else was coming to enjoy the sunset. This was a popular place for those that were allowed access to the Hill.

"Hello Sweetie," came the voice from the visitor. He snapped his head around and stood up with a bounce.

"Laura!" he said as he stared at his love. He just stood in amazement while he stared at her with an open mouth. Laura was quiet too and finally looked down at her shoes with a shy smile. Finally, Joey woke up and was embarrassed at his demeanor. "Would you like to join me to enjoy the sunset?" They sat together on the bench, but they weren't sure how to act towards each other. After all, he had basically left Port Orion and Laura several days ago. Finally he bent forward to look at Laura's face. "I'm sorry the way things have turned out. I know you could never understand why I'm leaving, but I want you to know that I still love you with all my heart. Are you sure it would be okay with your mother for us to be together like this?"

Laura leaned towards him and put her hands on each side of his face. "She told me you would be here and encouraged me to come too. I was looking out the Hope House window, waiting for you to get here. After talking to mother, I understand your reservations, but I also understand that mother is trying her best to work something out. She and my whole family love you, and I love you with all MY heart."

Joey leaned down and kissed Laura. They enjoyed the sunset with Joey's arm around Laura as she snuggled up against his body. "What will you say to your mother when you go home tonight?"

Laura sat up to look at Joey. "I won't say anything. I plan to stay with you until we meet her for dinner tomorrow evening, if that's okay with you." He didn't answer, but he smiled and wrapped her back into his arms. She knew he had approved.

Soon after the sun had set, they heard another set of feet shuffling towards the bench. They both looked over and saw Brenda walking towards them with a big smile. When she got to the bench she carefully got up into Joey's lap. She put her hands on both sides of his face and looked at Joey's smile. "When I saw Ms. Laura staring out the window and she walked out the door, I went over to look out and see what she was watching. When I saw it was you, I asked Ms. Stephanie if I could come here too. She said I could visit for a few minutes and she would watch out for me. She's sitting down there on the swing."

Joey and Laura looked back and saw Steven slowly swinging on the play set. He saw them look and waved with a big smile. They waved back and turned back to Brenda.

"I heard someone say you might be leaving us Ms. Josie."

Up until that moment, Joey hadn't even thought about the differences between Joey and Josie, but now he realized that the girls knew what was going on.

Laura saw his confused expression and said, "The girls know about you and Stephanie and the others. They are very smart and they do get very close to you. I can also tell you that they know why you dress and appreciate that you do it so that you can be with them."

Joey blushed, but smiled at Brenda as she wrapped her arms around his neck. "You can't leave us Ms. Josie. Who will give me hugs when I need them?" Before he could answer, they heard Stephanie trying to get their attention from down below.

"He wants me to go back now," Brenda explained as she slid to the ground. "We're having ice cream tonight!" She smiled and turned to leave to go back to the house. After a few steps, she quickly turned around, ran to Josie, and jumped into his arms and gave him a big hug. "I don't want you to go Ms. Josie. I love you."

He smiled and returned the big hug. "I love you too Ms. Brenda."

As they watched Brenda skip down the path back to the Hope House, Laura turned to Joey with a tearful smile and said, "Well that settles that I guess. You certainly can't leave now."

Joey smiled and wrapped her back into his arms. His emotions were mixed at that moment as he thought about Brenda and Laura, but he also knew that his chance of staying wasn't very good.

When they arrived back at his hotel room, they spent the evening cuddling and talking like nothing would soon change for them, but the situation stayed in the back of their minds.

Joey and Mrs. Gillihan had agreed to meet for dinner at the same restaurant they ate at last night. There was plenty of variety on the menu and that special table in the back where they could eat and then talk in private.

Joey and Laura arrived and were sat at their reserved table. Mrs. Gillihan came in and was escorted to the table soon after. There were hugs all around and the initial talk involved the menu and recommended orders. Joey ordered for both he and Laura. Once they had received their drinks, Mrs. Gillihan started the conversation. "When I got home from dinner last night, I went in my office and made a few phone calls. I called all my daughters and told them I wanted to have a family meeting this morning. Obviously, Laura wasn't invited. She is a bit biased." She smiled at her youngest daughter and Laura smiled back.

"The last call I made was to my best friend, Elizabeth. I wasn't looking for any advice in particular although she is aware of our standard family marriage contract. She did say that she was concerned about how you would react to the contract. We talked for about an hour, just two old friends talking about you, and family, and the good old days. Before we hung up, I remembered you telling me what she said to you about the secrets of a good loving relationship. She laughed when I told her that you had forgotten what the third rule was. She said that number one rule is Empathy. You must be able to understand the differences between people, not necessarily to agree with everything, but to understand that each person is unique. We should respect those differences."

Mrs. Gillihan was smiling as she talked about her friend. She looked at both Joseph and Laura as she continued her story. "She said number two was Communication. Almost every disagreement can be worked out if the two lovers will talk it out. Many fights are actually misunderstandings that end up seeming silly if you both can talk and clear the air."

Joey said with a smile, "I feel so stupid because I still can't remember the third thing."

She smiled back and continued. "She laughed when she said that number three is Compromise. There should be room for both people to accept and follow the other person's lead, even if they don't agree with them 100 percent of the time. She said choose your battles well. Some things are not important enough to stand pat and fight it out, but some things are." Joey shook his head in agreement when he was reminded what the third rule was.

The food was served and they enjoyed their meal and talked normal chit chat. Laura seemed bubbly and talkative, but with obvious nervous energy and uncertainty. Joey was mostly quiet except when he talked about how good the food was in this place. He was trying to hide his apprehension and was wondering what the next part of their conversation would be like. When they had finished with their dinner, they had their drinks refilled, and they all sat back to wait for Mrs. Gillihan to continue.

"My girls and their husbands met with me this morning, and we talked about the contract. I went over your concerns, and I encouraged everyone to be open and give their opinions and suggestions. We talked about our family traditions and our current lifestyles as individuals and as the collective Gillihan family. We talked about Laura and her happiness and her mindset. And then we looked at the marriage contract and talked about each issue that Joseph had concerns about."

She sighed and starting looking through her valise until she brought out several sheets of paper. Both Joey and Laura were concerned when they heard the sigh and noticed her serious expression.

"As a family, we came up with a revised set of rules for your marriage contract. We all agree that we want you in Laura's life and the Gillihan's family life. So here is what we came up with. I know you approved of Item number one, the pre-nuptial agreement. Item number 2 has been changed. Laura and you will not be required to follow a wife-led marriage. You will be equals in all areas of your relationship including the raising of your children. Furthermore, you and Laura will not be forcibly involved in intimate relations with anyone outside of your marriage, including family."

She paused and looked at both Joseph and Laura. Laura looked over at Joey, but he gave no indication of what he was thinking. "Item number 3 has been changed also. After your marriage, you may maintain the Hart name and Laura would have the choice of keeping her name or changing it to Laura Hart. Your children will be named Hart also." For the first time during her talk, she smiled. "And I do want grandbabies from my youngest daughter and her husband.

Joey stayed stoic and knew not to comment until she had totally finished. Laura smiled and looked down with a red blush on her face.

Mrs. Gillihan took a sip of her drink and glanced at Laura and then addressed Joseph, "We have also added a couple more items to this contract." She paused for dramatic effect. "Item number four..."

Joey remembered that item number four on the original contract was an agreement to visit the Hope House at least once a week. He thought about the joy he experienced when being there with the girls and was saddened when he thought he might not be able to visit them anymore. He fidgeted nervously in his seat.

"For at least a 2 year period after your marriage, Laura and you will be appointed as co-directors of the Hope House. You will replace Mrs. Brady when she retires and you will both have the responsibility to maintain the high standards she has maintained for the last 40 years. You should have plenty of time to continue the "Book of Hope" and still have time to work on your novel."

It took all of Joey's strength not to jump up and hug Mrs. Gillihan. He dropped his head in an attempt to hide his smile. Laura didn't try to hide her pleasure. She smiled big and squeezed Joey's hand under the table. Joey's careful demeanor returned when Mrs. Gillihan continued.

"However, if you agree to the contract and everything I've outlined so far, you will also be required to follow item number five. As you know, the Hope House is very dear to me and to the whole Gillihan family. We will take no chances to compromise its integrity and reputation. Both scheduled and unscheduled inspections are made by representatives of the state board, and we will not jeopardize anything having to do with the Hope House. You two will be responsible for keeping up all requirements and personal appearances. As you know, there has never been a male director at the Hope House."

She looked at Joey and continued "Item number five requires that you always look the gender that is required of you when you represent the Hope Home. You will be required to get breast enhancements just like all of my sons-in-law. They had those performed at their wife's direction and because it was much easier to prepare themselves on the days they visited the Hope Home and other family get-togethers as required. I think you will find that they all like the enhancement and you have seen that they can be hidden when they are dressed as men."

Joey sat and was a little dumfounded. Inside, he rejoiced at the thought of being co-director of the Hope House, but was it worth getting the changes that were required for him to become a passable woman? Would Laura think less of him as a man? He glanced at Laura who was looking at him with a smile and still held his hand.

"You will also need to get your Adam's apple shaved and your face and body hair professionally removed. I want you to think about the changes. None of them will make you look feminine when you are dressed as a man. The breasts will be small enough to hide easily and yet they will be realistic for the inspectors. All the other changes won't even be noticed when you are out of disguise."

Mrs. Gillihan paused to let her words sink in. She slid one copy of the revised contract to Joseph and one to Laura. "I am not asking for your answer right now. I would recommend that you sleep on it. As promised, I have set up your plane reservations for tomorrow evening if you choose to go home and not agree to this contract. If you want to marry Laura under these conditions, come and meet with me at my house at noon tomorrow. I'll answer any questions you may have, and we'll see if you need more time to think things out or sign the contract. Laura will be leaving with me now, but will be allowed with us tomorrow during our meeting if you decide to come over. Laura, we'll talk more about the contract tonight."

Both Laura and Joey had expressions of deep thought, but they looked up at Mrs. Gillihan and nodded their understanding. They all stood up and Laura leaned over and kissed Joey. "I love you Joey."

Joey held her close and returned her soft, loving kiss. "I will always love you Laura."

Mrs. Gillihan gently grabbed her daughter's shoulder and guided her towards the door. She smiled at Joseph as they walked away. Joey decided to sit back down and finish his drink. He stared down at his hands for another 30 minutes before he left for his room.

The next day, Laura was nervous all morning while thinking about Joey and his decision. Knowing what was going on, all of her sisters came over and spent time with her to get her mind off of the situation. At a little before noon, Laura walked outside and down the driveway a bit in hopes of seeing Joey driving up. Her sisters walked halfway to her in case she needed support. They all stared quietly for any sign of Joey.

Noon came and past with no sign of Joey. Laura still held hope that he would soon be here. At 12:15 he still hadn't arrived and Laura dropped her head and started back to the house. Her sisters met her and put their arms around her to try and console her. After a few steps and more words of encouragement, Laura stopped and listened.

She heard a weak call of "Laura! Laura!" She smiled sadly at her sisters and said, "I even hear his voice calling to me in my mind." A couple more steps and she heard it again. This time her sisters heard it too. They all stopped and turned towards the road trying to figure out what was going on. Again they heard the sound, but this time a bit louder, "Laura! Laura!" Lenora, the oldest sister spoke up, "What is that sound and where is it coming from?"

"Lauuura!"

With squinting eyes, they stared at the curve that opened up the road to the house. There was no telltale dust or the sound of an engine that would signify that a vehicle was coming. All of a sudden they saw the shape of a person running around the corner and straight to the house. He was waving his arms and yelling "Laura! Laura!" The figure came closer, but all the girls could see he was starting to falter like he was coming to the end of a marathon. Even from quite far away, Laura was the first to identify the person as Joey. "Joey!!" she shouted and quickly broke away from her sisters. She smiled as bright as she could as she started running towards him. Her sisters clasped their hands together and shared their sister's joy.

When she finally reached him, he had worn down to a slow, bent-over walk, and he was huffing and puffing from the run. Still with a big smile, she grabbed him by the waist and tried to support his body with hers. "Are you okay sweetie?" Laura asked with as much concern as she could under her elation.

"I'm fine I guess," he spit out between his huge breaths. "I was so worried I wouldn't get here in time, and I couldn't stand the thought of losing you again." The sisters had walked towards them and when they saw his exhausted condition, they each grabbed a body part to help stabilize his walk. It was a slow walk, but no doubt a happy walk for them all. Had they looked at the house front window at that time, they would have noticed Mrs. Gillihan looking out the window with a smile of understanding on her face. She walked back to her office in anticipation of some visitors.

Lenora asked, "What happened Joey? Why were you running?"

Between breaths, Joey replied, "My car...broke down...down the road. It wouldn't start back up. I couldn't get anyone... to help me right away. I was worried I would be too late... and you would think... I wasn't coming... So I started to run." The sisters and Laura were all smiling, because of Joey's story and because they were happy for Laura. His shirt was halfway tucked in and was stained with sweat. His hair was a mess and his pants and shoes were covered in dust and dirt. He looked awful, but considering the situation, it was funny.

Joey had recovered his breath enough to stand up straighter and ask Laura, "Am I too late Laura? Is your mother mad at me? Will she send me home because I didn't make it on time?"

Laura chuckled, "My mother can be quite strict some of the time, but I think she'll understand what happened. Let's go see her now." The sisters followed behind curiously as Laura still held onto support Joey with his arm around her shoulder. They reached her mother's office door and knocked.

As they entered the room, Mrs. Gillihan was sitting facing away from the door. She was trying very hard not to smile. "You're a little late Joseph, I'm not sure if we should talk..." She swiveled her chair around and looked at them. She immediately got up and quickly walked over to her visitors. "My goodness, you're a mess Joseph, what happened? Are you okay?"

Joey hadn't really noticed his physical condition, but he straightened up and took a deep breath. "I'm so sorry ma'am, my car broke down, and I was worried I would be too late and you would think I wasn't coming, but I really wanted to come so I started running as quickly as I could, but I haven't run much lately, so my lungs started burning and I wanted to stop and rest, but I knew I couldn't even though I had these shoes on... and my feet are killing me." He stopped rambling when he looked down and looked at the condition of his shoes and then looked at himself and finally saw how bad he looked. "I'm sorry ma'am..." He looked up to see Mrs. Gillihan's smile turn into a loud laugh. He also looked over at Laura who was laughing just as loudly as her mother. He then realized how he looked and sounded and began to laugh himself. "I guess I do look a mess don't I?"

Laura led him over to one of the chairs in front of her mother's desk. She tried to straighten his shirt and brush off the dust, but when she saw the mess it was making, she gave up and sat down in the chair next to him. Her smile had never left her face as she stared at her love and held his hand. One of the sisters brought in a cold bottle of water, handed it to Joey, and quietly left with a smile. He drained it quickly and was allowed to recover his breath.