Courtship by Proxy

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"So why didn't she say something later," he asked.

"Because she was afraid of losing you," Karen told him. "She couldn't jeopardize losing the security that she had with you in her life by attempting to start a relationship with you that if it failed, would cost her the only man she loved. She treasured your devotion to her, the security that having you in her life provided, and she wanted you for so much more, but couldn't allow it to happen."

"So what happened to make her so vindictive towards me, blaming me for everything wrong with her life?

"Why do you think she's vindictive?" asked Linda.

"Because she told me that her life is ruined because of me, and that she was going to 'get me' if it was the last thing she did.

"Did she say that she wanted to hurt you or cause you harm, or are you inferring this from her comments?"

Kyle thought for a minute and said, "Well she didn't actually threaten me per se, but from what I heard she sure seemed adamant that she was going to get closure between her and I, and soon."

"Do you want my advice?" asked Linda.

"Sure," said Kyle.

"Bubbles will be here at the hotel tomorrow for the reunion committee meet and greet. I invited her so that you could finally meet the woman who loves you. No one knows Karen as well as Bubbles does. Explain things to her and trust what she tells you to do where Karen is concerned. Bubbles would never let Karen or any other woman hurt you. Trust me, I know."

"Bubbles and I have already discussed Karen, and she shares your confidence that Karen won't want to mess with her. Bubbles will definitely be here tomorrow night?" Kyle asked her.

"In the flesh and as herself. You did it, Kyle. You gave her the confidence in your love to allow her to come forward and build a future with the man she has always loved."

"What time tomorrow?" he asked.

"The meet and greet starts at 6:00pm, and I would expect Bubbles to be here by 7:00pm, she said."

"Will Karen be there?" he asked.

"Karen wasn't invited as far as I know, but even if she shows up, you'll be safe with Bubbles there."

"Couldn't Bubbles meet me someplace else? She knows where I live after all, why not just come to my house?"

Linda considered Kyle's question and replied, "I think that she would feel more comfortable exposing herself to you with other people around, but that's just a guess."

"Well," said Kyle, "I've played her game so far, what's one more night. I'll be there."

"Thank you Kyle," she sighed. "Now Cliff won't have to identify my body before the reunion."

***

Friday drug on for Kyle. He felt like a child waiting to open his Christmas presents and struggled to find work or other tasks to keep his mind off his finally meeting the 'real' Bubbles.

As was typical, the fact that California was behind the rest of the country by as much as three hours made the morning Kyle's most active part of the day, with calls and meetings diminishing as the day progressed.

He ate lunch in the food court at the mall where he had been running errands. While leaving the mall he thought about Karen Mayes and her comments about "getting him". When he had paired his cell phone with the hands-free Bluetooth feature of his car, he decided to do a little checking on her whereabouts.

"Brandt Consulting, Michelle speaking"

"Hi Michelle, it's Kyle. Can you do a little research for me real quick?" Michelle Loya was one of the best background investigators employed by Brandt Consulting.

"As long as it's simple computer database type research and it doesn't get too protracted I should be able to help you," she said.

"It should be pretty quick and easy. See if you can find airline reservations for yesterday or today under the name 'Karen Mayes'. She works near Washington, DC so you can start with the airports in that area, with her destination being one of the airports in Southern California. Once you have her flight schedule, also see if you can find a hotel reservation for her out here."

"Sounds simple enough," she said. "I'll get back to you in a few minutes."

"Great, thanks." He disconnected the call. Michelle called him back within ten minutes.

"Hi Kyle, this was almost too easy," Michelle told him. "A Karen Mayes flew out of Dulles yesterday evening on American, made a connection in Dallas and arrived into Orange County on the last flight of the day, arriving at 10:45pm. There are no hotel reservations under that name however. Is there someplace that she could be staying besides a hotel, or could she be with someone else?"

"Her mom still lives out here, so I guess she could be staying with her," Kyle said. "What about a reservation for tomorrow night at any local hotels? Start with the Doubletree Hotel in Orange."

Kyle heard Michelle's keyboard clicking. "Nope, sorry," she told him.

"Okay, thanks for checking," Kyle said. "I appreciate your help. Bye Michelle."

"My pleasure Kyle. Goodbye."

Kyle considered the information he had received and then had another thought. He placed another call.

"Hello"

"Hi mom," he said when his mother had answered.

"Kyle! What a wonderful surprise. To what do I owe the pleasure of your call?"

"Mom," he started, "this may seem like a strange question, but would you happen to know if Karen Mayes is visiting her mom and aunt right now?"

"Her and her mom just left here. They had been visiting with me for most of the morning. Kyle, Karen has grown into such a beautiful and charming young lady. When you see her at your reunion, you'll see for yourself."

Kyle answered his mom, "Karen has always been both beautiful and charming, mom. However, I have no intention of attending the reunion, so I'll take you on your word that she hasn't changed."

"Why aren't you going to your own reunion Kyle?" she asked.

"It doesn't matter mom," he said. "Do you know how long Karen is planning on staying at her mom's?"

"I believe just until Sunday," she said. "Do you think you'll have a chance to come visit us this weekend? I could invite Karen over so you two could reconnect."

"I don't think that would be a good idea. Karen and I should not be in close proximity to each other right now."

"Well, I don't think Karen shares your sentiment in that regard," she said. "She seemed more excited than I have ever seen her when the prospect of her and you seeing each other was discussed."

"Excited in what way?" Kyle asked.

"Like she was just bursting to share some secret or something. In fact she reminded me of myself when I was trying to keep my engagement to your father secret from my friends until we had told my parents the news."

"Trust me mom, Karen Mayes and I are not getting engaged. In fact, I hope to introduce you to someone very special to me real soon."

"Kyle, have you met someone?" she asked.

"Yeah mom and I'm pretty sure that she's my future. I'll know for sure by the time the weekend is over."

"Oh Kyle I am so happy for you and look forward to meeting her. Karen will be devastated though."

"Karen knows mom. I told her a couple of days ago."

His mom gasped, "Kyle, Karen certainly didn't act like she knew you were involved with someone else. All she could talk about was you and how excited she was about seeing you again. Kyle, Karen has plans for the two of you, and that was obvious from the way she spoke and acted."

"I don't know what to tell you mom..."

"Kyle, please try not to hurt Karen. Follow your heart, but remember what you have always meant to the girl next door."

"I'll do my best mom. Thanks for everything. I'll keep you posted."

"I love you Kyle. Bye"

***

It was 6:15pm on the dot when Kyle accepted the valet parking ticket and left his car to enter the Doubletree hotel lobby.

He had forgotten to ask Linda where the gathering was in the hotel, so he headed to the lounge area hoping to see a sign indicating the location or run into someone else that he recognized. He saw the usual bartender Steve was working, so he went to the bar, ordered a beer and asked Steve if he knew where the rest of the reunion group was at.

"Sure," Steve said pointing over his shoulder. "They're outside around the pool and in the patio meeting room. It looks like they picked a great night for an outside event."

Kyle accepted the beer and thanked Steve as he paid and tipped him for it. Walking out the door from the lounge to the pool area, Kyle kept his eyes open for any woman who could be Bubbles, while at the same time watching for Karen Mayes. He made his way through the crowd until he saw Cliff, and headed towards him.

Cliff saw Kyle approach and put his hands up in mock surrender.

Kyle chuckled at his friend, put his hand out for a shake and said, "No hard feelings Cliff."

"Glad to hear that," Cliff said. "I see you already have a beer, but remember that there is an open bar out here for our group, so don't pay for anymore from Steve inside. Okay?"

Kyle nodded and said, "I'm not sure how many more drinks I'll be having tonight. Things could go either way for me."

Kyle saw Cliff's glance move from him to over his shoulder as he noticed someone behind Kyle. Simultaneously, virtually every eye around Kyle also found whatever Cliff had seen. Kyle didn't have to look. He knew that there was only one person who could attract that level of attention. Steeling himself, Kyle turned to face her.

She was on the far end of the pool surrounded by people. She wore a red blouse and a lemon yellow skirt. Her short blonde hair had a single barrette holding it back on one side, and above the barrette she had a Hearts-A-Fire rose stuck in her hair.

Before the crowd around her could part, Kyle slipped into the patio meeting room where a group of other men were playing a game of billiards. Kyle worked his way around to the far end of the room looking for the exit back into the hotel. He saw Karen through the window overlooking the pool, but she was still focused on meeting and greeting all the people who naturally flocked to her. He finally found the door leading back into the hotel lounge and went through it.

Kyle saw the sign indicating the restrooms and headed for them. Entering the men's restroom, he contemplated whether he should get his car and drive around until he heard from Bubbles. He really didn't want a confrontation with Karen, especially before he even had a chance to meet Bubbles. His cell phone rang.

He answered it, "Hello".

"Hi sweetheart, are you at the hotel?"

"Sort of," he chuckled. "I'm in a bathroom off the lobby avoiding Karen Mayes. She hasn't seen me yet and I'd like to keep it that way."

"It sounds like she really has you spooked."

"I would just prefer not to see her, at least until I have had a chance to see you first."

"I'll tell you what," she said. "Why don't you join me up here in room 612 and we'll figure out what to do about bringing closure to Karen Mayes in your life once and for all?"

"You're upstairs in room 612 right now?" he asked.

"Yes. I was just getting ready to come down and meet you which is why I called to find out where you were."

"Great," he said. "I'll be right there.

The restroom alcove had an opening to the elevator vestibule so Kyle was able to get on one without having to go back out into the lobby and risking exposure to Karen or anyone else. He arrived on the sixth floor and followed the signs to room 612. The door was open with the thrown deadbolt preventing it from latching completely closed. He pushed through the door, released the deadbolt and allowed the door to close and latch behind him.

"Bubbles?" he said as he walked into the room. It was a suite with a sizeable living area stretched out before him. There was a couch, two overstuffed side chairs, a coffee table and a dining room table with seating for four. Across the room double doors opened up to the bedroom. Kyle walked that direction calling for Bubbles again.

There was a knock at the door, and Kyle rushed to open it, assuming that he had locked Bubbles out when he allowed the door to latch shut completely. Throwing the door open, he came face to face with Karen Mayes.

Karen stared up at Kyle, and then placed her right hand on his chest and began pushing him backwards into the room, saying as she did, "I told you I was going to get you Kyle Mason."

As the door closed and latched behind them she said, "Kyle, please close your mouth before flies get in it."

Karen stepped around Kyle, took his hand and led him into the room towards an overstuffed chair. Turning him and pushing him back until he sat down in the chair. She set her purse on the floor beside his chair and began inspecting the room. As she closed the drapes on the sitting room windows, Kyle finally found his voice.

"Karen, this isn't my room, and I don't think you should be here."

Karen turned to him and laughed. "Actually Kyle, this IS your room. I suspected that you would search for reservations under my name, so I used the oldest trick in the book when I reserved this one. No one ever searches for a reservation under their own name when looking for someone else."

"That's cute," he said, "but I still think you should leave now. I'm expecting someone shortly."

"Bubbles?" she asked. "Bubbles will be here if and when I say so Kyle. While she may refuse to share me with you, I am still considering whether or not I will share her with you. Your responses to me will be the determining factor. Let's start with getting the basics out of the way first. I expect you to listen to what I have to say without interruption or outburst. I don't want a scene such as the one last night with Linda. Understood?"

Kyle simply glared at her and nodded.

"Excellent, she said as she slipped off her sandals and approached his chair. Placing her left foot on the armrest so that her tattoo was clearly visible to him she said, "You have asked about the origin of this tattoo. Do you still want to know?"

"Sure, why not." Kyle mumbled.

Karen kept her leg in place as she continued. "Obviously, it is a picture of a Bottle-Nose Dolphin, so I ask you Kyle, who is the most famous Bottle-Nose Dolphin that you can think of?"

"Are you going to give me a nature quiz or say something meaningful?" Kyle asked.

"Kyle, pull up your big boy pants and stop being a petulant child. This will go much easier for everyone if you cooperate. Now answer my question."

Kyle was fuming, and she saw it. "If you ever want to hear from, let alone see Bubbles again, you will get with the program." She told him.

"What have you done with her?" Kyle started to rise from the chair.

"Relax Kyle," she said as she pushed him back down into the chair. "Answer my question."

"Flipper," he spat out.

"Correct. Now, just to reciprocate and share some information with you, I will tell you that this exact tattoo exists on only two women in the world. Two girls who were synchronized swim team partners designed it and are the only ones who ever had it done. Obviously, I am one. Do you care to guess who the other one is?"

"I've seen that tattoo on at least four other women's legs," said Kyle.

"Boy, you hear things Kyle, but you certainly don't listen. Didn't Linda explain the proxies to you last night? There was only one woman disguised as the three different women that you met. I'll get into that more later though. To answer the question that you can't seem to comprehend, Linda Saunders is the only other woman besides me to have this exact tattoo."

"Fine," snorted Kyle. "So what?"

Karen laughed again. "I should have thought to video tape this. You are too priceless. Very annoying, but priceless."

She continued, "For Linda, the significance of the tattoo was the gracious movements of the Bottle-Nose Dolphin while swimming and her desire to emulate the same grace in our routines. For me, the significance was entirely different. I would ask you to try and guess what that was, but I'll save your limited patience for my next question. For me, the significance was the physical memory of my kitten named 'Flipper', but more specifically, the loving, beautiful boy who gave me the best gift I have ever received. The tattoo reminds me of you Kyle."

"I can see the correlation between the tattoo and what you named your kitten, but I'm not buying the rest," he said.

Karen looked down at him with sadness in her eyes. She pushed his legs and scooted his feet apart until she could stand between them. She took a pillow from the couch and placed it on the floor between his feet. Stepping back, she unbuttoned her blouse and slipped it off her shoulders. She wasn't wearing a bra so her perfect breasts were immediately exposed. After laying the blouse across a chair, she unbuttoned her skirt and lowered the zipper. She stepped out of it, bent to pick it up, and laid it across her blouse. Her panties came next and once they sat on top of her skirt, she returned to stand between his legs and then knelt down on the pillow, placing her forearms on his thighs.

She stared into her eyes and spoke softly, "Kyle, Lauren told you that you had options. If you want to select one of them now, I'll understand. I pray that you'll give me a chance to finish before you decide, but I won't stop you if you're set on rejecting me."

"Please get off the floor," he said.

"Please let me stay here. It's important for me to show reverence as part of what I have to say to you. I want you to see me as physically exposed and vulnerable to you as my heart is right now. Please."

He didn't object so she continued. "Kyle, do you remember your tenth birthday?"

He looked surprised but said, "Yeah, I think so."

She smiled at him. "My brother taught me how to blow bubbles in my milk almost as soon as I was weaned off a bottle. I suppose it was in memory of him that after he was killed I started blowing bubbles into any drink I had which was served with a straw. Then on your tenth birthday your Uncle Mike wanted to take you to the old fashioned soda fountain at Watson's Drug Store for an authentic malted milk shake, but you wouldn't go unless he would take me too."

Kyle was nodding as he started to remember the event she was describing. "We shared a malt..." he said.

Beaming at him, she said, "That's right. I wanted strawberry, but it was your birthday, so I agreed to share a chocolate one with you. When it was served, we each put a straw into it. You started sucking up malt, but do you remember what I did?"

He smiled back at her, "You tried to blow bubbles into it but it was too thick. I thought your eyes were going to pop out of your head. Your face was turning bright red and Uncle Mike and I were laughing at you. In fact, I think I fell off my stool because I was laughing so hard."

"And what nickname did you give me once you crawled back onto your stool?"

A look of amazed comprehension came across Kyle's face. "I called you 'Bubbles'," he said. "Then I went into the store and bought you a bottle of blowing bubbles and gave it to you."

She pulled a similar bottle out of her purse, removed the lid and extracted the small plastic stick with hoops at either end. Blowing gently and sending small soap bubbles over their heads, she said, "So to answer the question you kept posing about where Bubbles got her nickname, it was you Kyle. Once I pushed you away, I would ignore you if you ever called me Bubbles, but Uncle Mike and Linda continued to use it."

She took his hands into hers and stared into his eyes. "Now you know why I gave you options, Kyle. I knew that you would be disappointed to learn that the one girl who had hurt you so terribly was the same one courting you now."

Kissing each of his hands, she continued, "Kyle, from the time I recognized there was a difference between boys and girls, you have always been the one boy for this girl. I have never loved anyone other than you, and my love has always been total. You need to understand one thing completely Kyle, and that is that what happened between us was never you. It was always me and my fears, my grief, and my immaturity. You were perfect, and still are."

1...910111213...15