Dark Angel Ch. 09

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Ashriel covered his face from the heat and wondered if he meant to blow up the entire planet. Had the demon finally gone mad?

Ashriel fell to his knees and crawled down the ramp. Down below he saw the hatch wide open. Gripping his divine sword, he pulled his respirator and goggles over his face and ran the rest of the way down until he stood outside.

Devon stood in a pool of bright light. It was almost too bright to see him, but Ashriel made out his glowing form. The sight nearly brought him to his knees again. Devon looked as if made of pure fire. On his back were a pair of giant flame wings. It was his true divine form.

"Oh-god," Ashriel whispered.

Devon turned slowly, the light fading as he returned to normal. For a moment his eyes did not glow and he looked like a normal humanoid. But as his grin grew across his breathtaking face, his flesh paled to near white and his eyes began to glow again, making him look inhuman once more.

Loud thundering sounded around them, like detonations.

"What in hell's name is that?" Ashriel gasped.

"The walls around the city. I'm liberating these people from this hell. They're free now, Ash."

Ashriel frowned. "Free? Free to do what? There's nothing but a wasteland on the other side of that wall."

Devon frowned and looked around. "I see no wasteland. This planet is alive and thriving once more. I've brought it back to life."

Ashriel stiffened and took a good look around. The mountains looked green now and the ocean glittered blue.

"What did you do to the king?" Ashriel asked gaping at the miracle around him.

"I restored him to human again. He'd been tricked to think small amounts of the Rhylosian air would make him powerful and immortal. It poisoned him and drove him insane. He's ready to retake his place and rid these people of their corrupted government."

Ashriel stared at Devon in amazement. "That man tortured and killed people."

"He was insane. I've restored him and he's learned not to manipulate his physiology anymore in vain hopes of becoming a god."

"Right. And he's really going to do that. He'll just find some other way to—"

"I've done more than I should here, Ashriel. I've restored the king's sanity and the planet's life. The king and his army will remove the corrupted government and tend to their people. I cannot continue to involve myself or my people here. We must leave."

"And Gareth?"

Devon began walking back to the starcruiser as Ashriel tore off his goggles and respirator. Sweet fresh air filled his lungs.

"I'm going to talk to him. It's all I can do."

"Anniel said she'd come back to stay with him if he didn't come back to Alpha 7."

Devon stopped and shook his head, not turning to face Ashriel. "Annie's mine. She'll do no such thing."

Ashriel felt his jealously spike and stomped toward Devon. "Anniel is not yours."

Devon turned to Ashriel with a grin on his face. "She's as much mine as you are."

Ashriel gripped his arm and shook him. "I am not yours, you sick fuck."

Devon shoved him back. "Tell you what, Ashriel. You wanted a piece of me for a very long time. How about we fight, no swords or power play, just brawn against brawn. If you manage to kick my ass, I'll stop saying you're mine."

Ashriel looked him up and down. Devon was almost as tall as he was, and though he was muscular, he wasn't anywhere near Ashriel's size. Ashriel had carried boulders up and down Mount Chielos for over two hundred siglons. Not to build his body up the way he had for vanity, but rather for humility. He taught himself to crave hard arduous labor instead of pleasure. He knew one slap would toss Devon flat on his ass, and he itched to do it.

Ashriel nodded and began to circle Devon, whose eyes lit with delight.

"Go on and smile, pretty boy," Ashriel hissed, angered by his insulting grin. "Pretty soon you'll be crying."

Devon laughed. "You think I'm pretty?"

Ashriel bristled. "You have a beautiful mate. I never will understand how you can flirt with others. I have eyes for Anniel only."

"But you still think I'm pretty."

Ashriel lunged, but Devon sidestepped away. When the demon kicked out, trying to nail him in the kidneys, Ashriel used his wing to swipe at his leg, sending Devon onto his ass. When he tried to fall upon the downed man, Devon kicked up, his boots getting Ashriel square in the gut to send him stumbling back and unable to draw in breath.

Devon sprang back onto his feet and put his fists up. "Is that the best you can do?"

Ashriel gasped and coughed before glaring at the insolent fool. "I'm trying not to hurt you too much. I don't want to upset your mate. I like her."

Devon frowned and came closer, fists up, circling Ashriel. Ashriel lifted his own fists and drew closer as well. If he wanted a fist fight, he'd get one. It was a shame to smash that beautiful face, but the man was really asking for it.

Ashriel struck out the same time Devon did. His fist clipped his jaw, but Devon followed his hook with a hard jab right into Ashriel's gut.

Ashriel swung again, aiming for his nose, but Devon ducked and slapped him soundly, making Ashriel's face flame in a burst of pain.

With a roar of fury, Ashriel lunged and they both went down in a tumble of legs and flying fists.

He'd managed to get Devon onto his back, straddling him as one hand gripped his throat while the other pulled back to nail the black-haired idiot good.

"Remi," Devon shouted angrily.

Ashriel was knocked over by a red blur.

He was punched three times before Devon wrestled the enraged weredragon off Ashriel, almost throwing him off the dome.

Remien Fyre's dragon wings popped out of his back and he was airborne.

"This is between me and Ash, you idiot. Go back with Rowie. How many times do I need to tell you not to open portals," Devon snarled as Ashriel jumped back onto his feet.

"It's okay, Devon, "Ashriel snarled. "Two for the price of one. I'll kick both your asses. It'll be my pleasure."

"No," Devon shouted, his eyes blazing. "This is between you and me. Remi, get out."

"I'm not leaving you alone."

It was all the idiotic loyal weredragon said before he rushed Ashriel.

"Don't use your wings on him, Ash. I'll fucking maim you if you really hurt him."

Devon's fervor shocked Ashriel, made him hesitate resulting in the weredragon being able to tackle him right off the top of the dome. They fell a few feet before they used their perspective wings to circle each other warily.

"Your commander does not wish me to harm you."

"Well that's too bad. Come on, Ashriel."

Ashriel merely crossed his arms over his chest. "No. Much as I would like to beat your ass from here to eternity, especially after what you did to Anniel and me, I was in the middle of a wager with Devon. A wager that you interrupted."

Remi seemed to cool down considerably. "You weren't trying to kill him?"

Ashriel glared at him. "If I'd wanted to kill him, I'd use my divine sword, not my fists."

Remi pursed his lips and then nodded. "Okay. Sorry I interrupted."

Ashriel felt the fight go right out of him as he flew back to the dome and stalked past Devon.

"What about our fight?" Devon asked trudging behind him.

"Fuck you," Ashriel snarled, in a foul mood. "Fuck you both."

"So, does that mean he's yours too?" Remi asked making Ashriel's hackles rise.

"He'll always be mine," Devon chuckled. "Just like you."

Ashriel heard feet running up behind him before Remi peered around him, trying to keep up with his long strides.

"That makes us brothers, Ash. You're one of us," he grinned.

"Go away," Ashriel growled, stomping all the way up to the helm.

When he finally settled in next to Seth, the weretigri turned his head and grinned.

"Welcome to the family."

"Piss off."

Seth chuckled as Devon and Remi strolled up and strapped themselves in.

"Why aren't you traversing a portal to go back to your mate?" Ashriel asked the red weredragon.

Remien scowled, but Devon answered for him. "He took a chance coming to me. Already, Master Guardians have locked onto his life force and are waiting for him to lead them back to Rowie and the babies. We need to confuse them. Seth, head out to deep space."

"What about Rayne?"

"We'll come back for her. Link to Gareth and let him know."

Seth nodded. "He calls himself Cyn now."

Devon thought for a moment and shrugged. "I think I like it more than his real name. Why did Anniel name him after his father? Can't stand that—" His eyes shifted to Ashriel. "Sorry."

Ashriel grunted. "I can't stand his conceited ass either. Don't apologize."

"Where are we headed?" Seth asked.

Devon leaned back in his chair. "Megdoluc."

Ashriel stared at him, taken aback. "You're leading them to Lucien?"

Devon shook his head. "Lucien is in another realm. Just because there's a good portal on Megdoluc to reach him doesn't mean they can find it."

Ashriel's eyes narrowed. How many times had he searched for that portal? Just like the one in Davariel and Luciel's old mansion on Sjoria. Now Devon just might lead him right to both. He'd finally be able to find Lucien and the portal to the realm of shadows, where Davariel had been cast along with his lover.

If Lucien was truly repentant, Ashriel would spare him, like he had his father, but the thought of Davariel's return had to be avoided. He was still the angel of destruction and Ashriel had no idea what his state of mind would be if he managed to escape. He could be evil again, bent on the destruction of all creation. Ashriel had to destroy that portal, even if it cost him his own life.

He thought of Anniel again and the child she carried in her womb—his child—and hoped someday she'd forgive him.