Dark Travelers Ch. 11

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

As Ree and Kirik passed the multitude of doors, one began to open. The little girl stopped short and stared curiously as someone cautiously stepped out. It was the blonde lady.

"There's one of them," she told Kirik.

Taters issued a joyous bark and scuttled to his Girl's side. He leaned against her, panting, and stared up at her with adoration. Automatically, Andi reached down to give him a reassuring pat.

After giving the little girl a half-interested glance, she turned her attention to Kirik and watched him carefully. The elder brother also studied Andi closely. The two didn't speak for quite some time and Ree soon began to feel uncomfortable.

As the silence grew oppressive, Andi finally worked up the nerve to ask, "Where's my sister?"

Kirik shrugged and gestured towards Ree, "The girl says she knows. I'm following her. You might as well join us."

The blonde girl threw him a distrustful glower and shook her head. "I don't want to go anywhere with you."

"Indeed. And I'm quite sure you don't want my brother fu-," here, he paused and glanced down at Ree, "paying quite so much attention to you. But it's happening regardless, isn't it?" He smirked, "You must've pleased him. He's quite taken with you."

"Shut-UP! You don't know anything!" Andi screamed at him, anger and humiliation making her chest feel tight.

Mind your manners with this one, DeeDee murmured warningly.

Kirik blanched. "I must say, though, that it is beyond my grasp what exactly it is about you that he finds appealing. It certainly can't be your pleasant voice and charming disposition."

Ree shrank back at the blonde girl's outburst. She certainly didn't seem to be happy to see him. Maybe he was mean, just good at hiding it.

"Why's everyone yelling?" Another voice piped up.

The group turned and glanced simultaneously towards the source of the query. Evan and Kael stood at the mouth of an adjoining hallway, staring at them four of them.

The juvenile glowered at his elder, wondering what he'd said to the Brat that had upset her so. Kirik glared right back, annoyed that his sibling had let him sleep for so long and hadn't bothered checking in.

"Hi Ree! Look what Kayell did! He fixed my sword! Course he's the one what broke it but- Hey! What are you doing with the other one?" Evan babbled, unaware of any surrounding tensions.

"I-I was going to show him where the other lady was," Ree answered, a bit intimidated at the arrival of the other mon- No. Not a monster, she remembered. Just a different kind of person. Like Pogs.

"I don't get why they always wanna be around the girls. It's just sick. Uck," Evan commented. "Oh, 'cept for you, Ree. You're pretty much ok."

Andi rolled her eyes impatiently, "Anya's probably in Sway's room. I know where it is. See you all there."

She made to push her way past the crowded hallway when she felt someone latch onto her arm again, preventing her from leaving. The hand was familiar enough by now, and she gritted her teeth in annoyance.

"Oh fine! Can we please just go then? It's getting too crowded in here," she grouched, glaring up at Kael.

"No," he replied, tossing her an impish smile.

"Oh. My. Gods. You couldn't be a bigger jerk if you tried!" She snapped, huffing indignantly.

"Are you his girlfriend?" Evan asked Andi.

"Gods no," she replied.

The boy turned to Kirik, "Is the witch your girlfriend?"

"My what?"

"You know. Girlfriend." The boy began making kissy faces.

Kirik merely stared.

"I don't get why anyone would want to kiss a girl. That's where germs come from." Evan went on. "But not you, Ree. You're not all germy," he finished kindly, giving his sister a light shove.

The little girl smiled shyly, pleased.

At this, Kirik couldn't help but chuckle. "You may change your mind one day."

"EW! No way! Not ever!" Evan cried, thoroughly repulsed.

Kirik grinned, "Whatever you say."

Kael tilted his head, brow furrowed. "What is he saying that amuses you, brother?"

"He is at that age where he finds females repugnant. Do you remember when you felt the same? It wasn't so long ago, really."

Kael smiled and nodded, "How wrong I was."

The brothers exchanged grins and the atmosphere lightened considerably. Shortly thereafter, the group began to make their way to the upper decks once again.

***

"Now, close your eyes and try to imagine a healing warmth flowing out from your fingertips," Horace instructed.

Anya did as she was told and pictured a soft rosey glow surrounding her hands. Nothing. No sensation. No light. No warmth. Discouraged, she shook her head, "It isn't working, Horace. I can't do it."

"That is exactly the reason why it isn't working. If you think you can't do it, then you won't be able to. Anyone can learn a simple healing spell or two, Anya, but it takes massive concentration and discipline all the same.

"You have a slight edge, being a true witch. You were born with your power. It is only weak because you haven't used it. You must build your strength. Now concentrate! Picture the healing waves originating inside of you. Now imagine your whole inner core warming up with the intent to heal. Try to see and feel it as clearly as you can."

Obediently, Anya again closed her eyes and tried. "I can't! I just- How do people even do this magic thing?"

Horace smiled gently at her. He could see how frustrated she was. "Don't fret dear. I didn't expect anything to happen in our first session. You've missed out on years of training, and we don't even know what element you favor. I was only trying out a healing spell because they are useful to know."

"I don't understand what you mean about what element I favor," she told him, face dismayed. "I don't understand anything that's been happening lately! I just- I can't," Her breath caught and she heaved a sob.

The wizard was silent as the dark-haired witch wept. It had been too long in coming and she needed to let it out. "There, there dear," he said after a few moments. "Dry your eyes." He handed her a hanky from his satchel.

He let Anya weep for quite awhile. Bit by bit, she began to regain her composure and she dabbed at her eyes with the handkerchief. "Thank you," she sniffled.

"Of course, dear. Are you feeling better now?"

Anya found that she did. She was exhausted and vaguely sleepy, but it seemed that a huge pressure had been released with her tears. "I do. Sort of."

"That's better than nothing. Are you ready to try again?"

"I-I think so."

The wizard nodded and settled himself a bit more comfortably on the deck. Nodding at her, he began to instruct her once again. "Close your eyes and try to feel-"

A ruckus silenced him. The pair glanced over and saw several crew members gesticulating excitedly over the railing. Anya trained her eyes to where they were pointing and could just make out another ship, far on the horizon.

"Hm," Horace murmured. "I wonder what is going on."

Anya shrugged and didn't reply. Movement from the corner of her eye caught her attention. The door to Sway's chambers swung open and the little captain came bolting out, looking wildly excited. The chattering crew members waved her over and began to point over at the other sea vessel.

Sway let out a whoop and bounced up and down with obvious glee. "Raise the flag and hoist the sails!" She bellowed.

As her crew disbursed to go about their duties, the redheaded captain scampered towards a large mast and began to climb. Horace and Anya watched, amazed, as Sway made short work of the long climb. As she neared the top, she swung a leg over into the crow's nest and peered through a telescope.

Even from so high up, Anya could still make out her victorious cackling and a chill ran down the woman's spine.

She turned to Horace, "What do you suppose is going on?"

The wizard arched a brow, still staring up at Sway. His expression was serious, making Anya's dread return ten-fold. What in the hells could be happening now?

"Well, well. Seems we're about to witness a pirate attack," he finally replied.

____________________________

*Translations*

Url va ali pralt jeritzon, Hrila. -- I am a quick learner, Brat.

Lur'zt letralirl. -- You're trembling.

Aza. -- Yes.

Lur vritzat melitri, krilat lur? -- You like that, do you?

Ta ritzit Hrila, url nuratz yavitz lur zan. Vot dri pahz nrita url neel ali zeliaz, url va haelonirl il jith lur criz. --My little Brat, I shall leave you now. But the next time I have a chance, I am going to fuck you raw.

Haelon wriit, lorlo -- Go away, boy.

Melitri gramitz tri zelataz. -- That weapon is useless.