Dawn Redeemed

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The line was long and moved at a snail's pace, giving Hanning more than enough time to ponder the mystery of Ruby. He loved her. He hated her. Sometimes, he just didn't know. A guy's life was supposed to be a simple life free from complications and the intricate complexities of everyday life. When did things get so complicated?

His job was to take something that was broken and fix it. Easy. A few adjustments, a couple of nails and screws, and everything was good as new. Not this time. Sometimes, even the best repairman had to know when to put down his hammer and admit defeat. Some things just weren't fixable. And sometimes with a lot of effort, something that was destined for the trash heap could be salvaged and given a new life. That was his biggest problem. He wasn't sure he knew how or had the necessary tools to fix a broken marriage.

Hanning did a double take when the cashier blandly rattled off the total. Grumbling, he added another twenty to the stack in her hand. Since when did a simple kid's birthday party cost more than a house payment? He took the receipt and stuffed it in his pocket. If he could give Evan a reprieve from the adult worries heaped on his head. Whatever the price was, it was more than worth it. He loaded the back of the truck and headed back to the house, determined to make this the best birthday his son had ever had.

Chapter 119

A soft knock sounded on Erica's office door. She was so deeply engrossed in the files, she forgot to look at the time. Was it really lunch time already? Her stomach grumbled to remind her that it had been neglected for far too long. "Come in."

Torr poked his head through the open door and shot Erica one of his famous smiles. "I thought you might want some company for lunch today." He eased his body onto the corner of the desk and idly picked up the folder she'd been working on.

"I really shouldn't. After missing yesterday I'm so far behind that I'll never get caught up." Erica scowled at the boxes that had been delivered earlier this morning, she couldn't see the floor for all the clutter. "I guess my services are in demand." She stretched and sighed, "Job security."

"Apparently." Torr sat the file back on the desk and stared down at Erica. "You know these files are not going to sprout legs and walk away."

"If only they would." She stood up from the desk and cracked her neck. Her muscles were tight and sore from bending over paperwork all morning. "I really don't have time for much. I was going to grab something from the kitchen and eat in my office."

"Its called a lunch break for a reason. You break and you eat. Eating while working is not a lunch break. Besides, I'd like your undivided attention. I think we've got some things we need to talk about."

Erica nodded in resignation. Torr was right. There were plenty of things they needed to discuss. Primarily, when they were going to tell Fallon about their engagement. "Yeah, we do. I guess I can stop for a little while."

Torr grinned and ushered Erica out of the office. "Thanks."

Erica led the way to the dining room where a huge spread was laid out. The one thing she didn't have to worry about was Torr ever thinking she was overeating. He piled a plate high with bread and chesses, topped with meats and veggies. His sandwich had to be the biggest sandwich she'd ever seen. He could have fed a small country off the fixings on his plate. She wanted what he was having. Instead she settled for a generous helping of fresh veggies and constructed quite a nice, reasonably sized, but low cal salad. If she wanted to look presentable on her wedding day, she really had to watch what she ate.

Fallon was content to sit next to Marianne, chattering in between bites. Erica decided to leave her to her classmates and led Torr to the far end of the table.

"Why don't we sit out on the patio instead?" Torr slid the glass door that led to the wooden deck. The things he and Erica needed to talk about were best discussed in private.

Erica shrugged and followed Torr out to an oversized patio table and took a seat. Flies immediately descended upon their food. Discreetly waving her hand, she shooed them away. She took a sip of her unsweetened tea and envied Torr as he took a healthy gulp of his fully sugared root beer and dug into his sandwich. "Are you a little weirded out about last night?"

"Um, yeah, a little. It must have been a hard thing to step down like you did. So I guess now you're footloose and fancy free?"

"Stepping down was the right thing to do. I never wanted to be a pack master to begin with. The pack expected me to be just like my father. I didn't want to follow in his footsteps. When Nash and Eloise approached me, I jumped on the chance, for my pack's sake, not for my own. A reluctant leader is a bad leader. They deserve better than that."

Torr took a deep breath and continued, "In a way, I'll always feel like a part of me is missing. But, I'll be a whole lot happier for it. We're doing something that has never been done before. Wolves have always relied on the Alpha to make all the decisions for them. Nash, Eloise, and myself have formed a council with Drew as the head. Decisions are going to be made as a group. After what my father did, we realized that no one man should have absolute control over the lives of so many."

"So, you're going to be sticking around."

"Ah, I asked you to marry me. Erica, I meant it. Every word that I said. Where else would I want to go when everything I've ever wanted is right here?" Torr put down his half eaten sandwich and dug in his pocket. "I want you to take this. You already hold the key to my heart. Now you have the key to my front door."

"Why are you in such a hurry?" Erica asked. The key sat on the table in between their plates. Such a little thing, it was only a key made of brass. Why did it seem so big?

"Erica, I've waited ten years to start a life with you and Fallon. I don't want to wait a second longer."

"Torr...I don't think we ought to rush into things too quickly. We haven't even told Fallon yet. She needs time. So much has happened so quickly. We only just moved here and then you show up. I just can't keep throwing things at her."

"She needs time or you need time?"

"Both," Erica pushed her barely touched salad aside. "I want this. I don't want you to think that I'm looking for an out. I'm not. Torr, so much has happened in your life too. Don't you need some time?"

"No. I've had ten years. You were all I thought about. You were the only thing that kept me going. Just the mere thought of finding you again was all I had to hope for. From the minute I saw you. I knew what I wanted. I can wait, if you need me to. But, I don't want to. I'm ready for us to be a family. A real family."

"I want that too."

"Then you'll take the key?" Torr scooped up the key with his fingers and dropped it into Erica's palm and gently closed her fingers.

"Yes, I'll take the key."

"And you'll think about using it?"

"Yes, I'll think about it," Erica said as she slid the key into her pocket. "I'd better get back to work." She stopped and gave Torr a gentle peck on the cheek. "I'll see you later."

Torr followed Erica with his eyes. She had such a cute little swing to her backside when she walked and he enjoyed watching her sashay when ever he could. Just as long as he didn't blow it and let his impatience get the better of him. He'd be able to watch that little swing everyday. Good things were worth waiting for. After waiting as long as he had with nothing to hold on to but the mere hope of catching a glimpse of her, a few more days, months, or even years, didn't seem impossible to bear.

Chapter 120

Evan giggled excitedly as he peeked through his father's fingers. He'd been waiting all morning for his party and it was finally time! The smell of melting wax slowly dripping on sweet, sugary icing tickled his nose. Happy voices sang out of time and off key. He pried his dad's fingers away from his eyes and looked out over the smiling crowd. Everyone was here. All his friends and family were here for him! He trotted to the table, unable to contain himself a second longer and took a deep breath. Making his birthday wish, he dangled over the side of the table and blew out the candle. He was finally, and officially, seven years-old.

Ruby mouthed 'thank you' at Hanning as she slipped a party hat over Evan's head and passed out the rest of the paper hats and noise makers. Hanning had outdone himself and overdone the Spiderman theme to an unparalleled extreme. But, her little boy was happy and that was all that mattered.

Hanning dipped his head at Ruby and mouthed back a 'you're welcome' to her. He clapped and blew on a noise maker in his son's behalf. Evan beamed and grinned in glee. Hanning was glad that he'd been able to give his son this happy, cherished, childhood memory.

Evan bowed at the light round of applause and smiled up at the attendees. Baby R.J. slobbered on his bib as Aunt Shayla bounced him in her arms. Evan stifled a giggle at the sight of Uncle Carter in a party hat. All the kids were here. Maybe now, Marianne would realize that he wasn't a little boy anymore and quit ignoring him. Even the adults had shown up to join in the celebration. This was going to be the best party ever.

Evan tore through the presents zealously, tossing bits of wrapping paper and brightly colored tissue paper in a shower around the table. He was mindful of his manners, just like his mommy had taught him and thanked everyone. Even though Uncle Carter had bought him a cool looking dagger, a real one made of gleaming sliver with a heavy, thick ebony handle that he couldn't close his fingers around yet and that his mom had promptly taken away, he thanked him anyway. Someday, he'd be big enough to use it.

The best present was always, always saved for last. Evan quivered in excitement as he waited for his mom and dad to give him his present. He crossed his fingers under the table in eager anticipation. He'd gotten a lot of neat things for his birthday, a new assortment of action figures, brand new crayons and a big book of drawing paper, socks (ick), a new baseball and glove set, and the dagger. From his parents, nothing yet. This had to be the big moment, it just had to be.

He beamed when his dad rolled in the bike. He'd never had a bike that hadn't been handed down through at least a dozen other kids before it got to him. He squealed in amazement and ran his hands over the shiny vinyl seat. The bike was cool, but where was his real present? Evan crossed his arms over his chest and tapped his foot as he scowled up at his mom and dad. Why weren't they kissing? Why weren't they hugging? Why weren't they saying "I love you" like he wanted?

"Evan, honey..." Ruby gripped the back of a chair in her fingers. She didn't know what to say. An embarrassed blush crept across her cheeks. Her feet seemed to have grown roots, firmly planted against the floor. Sadly, she shook her head and blinked at the tears stinging her eyes. "I'm sorry."

Shayla passed R.J. to Carter and began cutting the cake in an attempt to salvage the party. What was a happy event a few minutes ago was rapidly turning into a disaster. With savage efficiency, she passed pieces cake and dollops of ice cream to party goers.

Marianne bit her bottom lip nervously. The tension in the air was thick. "Evan, that's a really cool bike. Do you want to try it out?" The rage boiling off Evan was akin to Mount Saint Hellen's moments before it erupted.

"No," Evan flushed with anger, "I want my present."

"Evan...," Hanning said in a stern, warning voice that usually quite effectively quelled any temper tantrum before it erupted into a full blown fit. Today, it only served to make Evan angrier. Ruby was putting on a brave face in front of the guests. Her eyes glimmered with unshed tears. "Damn it," Hanning hissed under his breath. He moved to stand beside her dragging a hand through his hair in frustration.

He inhaled deeply. His instinct was to take away all Evan's presents and the bike as punishment. If he'd acted like Evan, his father would have jerked him out of the room by his hair and paddled his butt till he couldn't sit for a week. Ruby didn't approve of punishing Evan in that fashion. She preferred a subtler approach to discipline. He had no doubt that given enough time, once Ruby recovered, she would punish the boy. This time though, he would not settle for a mere talking to and a slap on the wrist. Evan was going to be punished thoroughly.

Ruby was crying. Evan had big tears welling up in his eyes and his face was red as a beat and swollen. Hanning felt deficient as a parent and as a husband. He'd let them both down and their reactions were a result of their hurt. Not knowing what else to do, he bent and gave Ruby a quick peck on the cheek. Right now, he wanted this to just go away.

Evan frowned even deeper. He knew what it looked like when adults who loved each other kissed and the peck his dad had given his mom wasn't it. "That's not good enough." He knew he was going to get in big, big trouble for the way he was acting. He couldn't think about that right now or he'd lose his nerve and settle for a crummy, although brand new, bike instead. His mom and dad loved each other. Evan knew deep down they still did. They just needed some help to see it.

Humiliated, Ruby batted back the tears. She would not add crying to her shame today. "Evan, please. You're hurting mommy's feelings."

"I'm not. Dad is," Evan said, stubbornly.

Partygoers quickly devoured the cake and ice cream and slunk out of the room, mumbling happy birthdays as they left. Hanning's anger bubbled beneath the surface of his cool exterior. ALL RIGHT. Evan was not going to let this go. Hanning knew exactly where the kid had gotten his stubborn streak and the nut didn't fall too far from the tree. Many, many times, Hanning wished the nut had fallen a lot farther than it had. No amount of paddling, chores, or other punishment was going to deter Evan from his present course. No threat would be big enough. If his kid wanted to see his mom and dad share a kiss, so be it. What was the harm? It was only a kiss.

Ruby's humiliation quickly morphed into utter mortification as Hanning's big hand locked on the small of her back and he spun her in his arms. His lips were on hers before she had a chance to so much as take a breath. His tongue slicked into her mouth and worked along the tips of her teeth. In shock, Ruby opened for him and unwittingly began to do a little tongue exploration of her own. Her body had a mind of its own. Her hands found their way into Hanning's hair and she melted against him.

Hanning pulled Ruby tight against him and dove into her mouth with his tongue. Her body fit against his like two pieces of a puzzle custom made for one another. He started the kiss out of frustration and anger. It continued, fueling a wave of hot, denied, desire. Her mouth was soft, warm and sweet. Her tongue shyly traced the tip of his in long hesitant strokes. His hands skated along the curve of her back. Mindful that the eyes of an impressionable child were watching them, he wound his fingers into the belt loops of her jeans to keep them from wandering farther.

Evan watched his parents in rapt fascination. He knew he was right. His mom and dad DID love each other. Someday, he wanted to kiss a girl like that and have her kiss him back. Not now, girls were icky down to their very core. But, someday, when he grew up. "Tell mom you love her," Evan demanded. By this point, he knew his goose was cooked. Why not go for broke?

Hanning broke the kiss and held Ruby in his arms. She trembled like a wind blown leaf on a tree. He stroked her hair and guided her cheek to rest against his chest. Gently, he held her. Every time he encountered his wife. He learned something new and unexpected. Slowly, little by little the woman he thought he knew was dissolving. And a new woman, one he'd was just getting to know was beginning to emerge. Why had she kept herself hidden from him for so long? He trailed his fingers down her cheek and lifted her chin. "I love you, Ruby."

Ruby met Hanning's eyes and took in a deep trembling breath. He looked down at her as if he were seeing her, really seeing her, for the first time. She'd always kept a part of herself locked away for safekeeping. That part was hers and hers alone. The things she thought. The things she couldn't say. Every hope and dream that she dared to whisper in the dark, was there in that special place. She was too worn down to keep her heart on lock down any longer. Let him see it, all of it. After all, it wasn't like she had anything left to lose. "I love you too, Hanning."

There, Evan thought, was that so hard? Finally satisfied, he hopped down off the dining room chair and started the long trek to his room and whatever punishment awaited. Now, he could say he'd had a happy birthday.

Ruby stepped out of Hanning's arms and focused on the floor. Her lips still tingled from the pressure of his mouth on hers. "I should go check on him." She turned to scurry away when Hanning lightly gripped her arm with his fingers.

"No," Hanning said, slowing her, "we'll go together."

Chapter 121

Erica was grateful to go back to her office and hide after the disaster of a birthday party she'd helplessly witnessed. She felt bad, really bad for the two parents, and even worse for the little boy. Even in this strange and remarkable world, marriages still crumbled.

She slid the key out of her pocket and fished in her purse for her key ring. Anything she tried to find, was always at the bottom. Lost in thought, she fiddled with the key. Sometime, she really needed to take a minute or two and thin these out. The key to the apartment in D.C. was still on the ring along with at least a dozen others that didn't really serve any purpose. Maybe, she was too afraid to let go of the old and make room for the new?

"Hi Mom," Fallon said, timidly poking her head into the office. After watching Evan have his melt down, she felt the compulsion to give her mom a great big hug. For no particular reason, other than she loved her. "What ya doin?"

"Just thinking," Erica answered, as she snapped the key into place and returned the jingling ring to her purse. She dropped her bulging purse into the bottom drawer of her desk and closed the drawer with her toe.

"About what?" Fallon asked. She hedged over a pile of boxes and climbed into her mom's lap. Her favorite place. Her mom's lap was safe and warm, and it smelled like flowers and sunshine. "I missed you at lunch, I'm sorry."

"That's ok," Erica said, surprised by her daughter's affectionate turn. "You were having fun with your friends." Fallon's lips were cool and damp against her cheek. She smiled and returned the kiss. "What was that for?"

"Just 'cuz Mommy," Fallon slid down out of her mom's lap and beamed at the smile that had erased the crease of worry off her mom's lips. "I love you mom."

"I love you too, Fallon." Erica took a deep breath and fiddled with the crinkled edge of her blotter pad. "What do you think about moving?"

"Would we be closer to dad?"

Erica nodded. "Real close."

"Close enough that he could tuck me into bed at night?" Fallon perked up in excitement. "I love Aunt Leigh and Uncle Alexander. And I love Jack too. But, I'd love to be closer to dad. I hardly ever get to see him."

"You see him almost everyday."

Fallon shook her head, "Its not the same." She sighed deeply and rested her elbows on the boxes of files. "I wish we could live with him. I think Dad gets really lonely when he's not with us." A bright smile crossed her face. "Then he really could tuck me in every night, like a real dad. That'd be great!" She rested her chin on her palms and gave her best round eyed, make her mom melt, stare. "Mom, can we live with dad?"

1...6667686970...75