Dawn Redeemed

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Supper's on!" Leigh called from the kitchen.

Torr waited till supper was over with and the dishes were cleared off the table before he gave a thought to the box in his pocket. "Leigh that was absolutely amazing."

"Why thank you, Torr. It's a joy to cook when there's someone around who truly appreciates my talents," Leigh said, dropping the last of the dirty dishes into the sink. Carefully, she grabbed some dessert plates and set them on the table next to the apple pie. "Erica is a good little cook herself, when she wants to be."

"Aunt Leigh is exaggerating," Fallon chimed in. "Mommy doesn't cook."

"Fallon, yes I do."

Fallon wrinkled her nose and gave her dad a look as she shook her head. She took a plate from her aunt and dug into the pie, savoring every bite of the crust and tangy, sweet apple.

"I'd be happy to help you with the dishes, Leigh," Torr said, scooting his chair away from the table.

"Oh no, I could never allow company to do that. Alexander will help me in a bit, won't you." Leigh gave her husband a pinch on the back of the neck.

"Yeah, sure. Love dishes, just love em." Alexander stuffed a bite of pie into his mouth before he got himself in more trouble.

Torr took a deep breath and wiped his palms on the thighs of his jeans. "Well, as you know, Erica and I have been seeing quite a lot of each other and I thought it was time to make my intentions clear. I've asked and Erica has accepted, but I figure since you're the head of this family, Alexander, I'd like to ask your permission to marry your niece."

Leigh patted Alexander on the back as he choked and sputtered on the bite stuck in his throat. "Its about time. Of course! I mean you don't need our permission, but we'd love to have you in our family."

Alexander took a swallow of iced tea and chased down the bits of crust stuck in his throat, "Yes, what she said. If Erica and Fallon approve then how can I say no? But if you ever, ever mistreat her, you'll have me to answer to. Do you understand?"

"Loud and clear." Torr turned in his chair and grinned at Fallon. "Is it ok if I marry your mom?"

Fallon beamed and nodded yes with frenzied bobs of her head, "Yes. Can we have the wedding tomorrow?"

"That's up to her." Torr fished in his pocket and pulled out the box. "This is for you," he said, clumsily clutching the box between his fingers. The black velvet lid creaked when he opened it. "I want to make everything official."

Erica's jaw dropped when she saw the ring. Whoever said diamonds were a girl's best friend was dead on. The ring was absolutely perfect. A fat round canary yellow diamond sat nestled in the crook of a silver crescent. Embedded in the thick, buttery gold band, was one round diamond, glittering slightly above the diamond and the crescent shaped silver. "The sun and the moon," Erica gasped, "that's us. And the diamond, a star...Fallon."

Torr slid the band out of the box and inched the ring down Erica's extended finger, "That's right, you are the sun and me, the moon, and Fallon is our little shining star. Marry me, Erica. Right here, right now, tomorrow, next week, next month, a year from now, ten years from now, doesn't matter when, just don't take my sun and my star away."

"Yes! Yes! Yes! I'll marry you. You're my moon, without you, the sun and the star don't shine nearly as brightly. I can't imagine my sky without you in it. Maybe we're rushing, but you're not the only one who has waited for far too long. I don't want to wait any longer to start our lives together. I think, I'm going to take you up on that offer and use that key after all."

Fallon bounced in her seat and clapped her hands. Finally, they were getting somewhere. She had a mom and a dad, now they had each other, and finally, finally they were going to be a family. She jumped out of her seat and gave her mom and her dad a great big hug. "I love you guys. Mom, can I use your cell phone? I've gotta call Marianne and tell her the big news! My mom and dad are getting married!" She snatched the phone and disappeared into her room.

Leigh dabbed at a tear and rested her hands on Alexander's shoulders. "That's so romantic. I think I'm going to cry." She nudged Alexander out of his seat. "My work here is done. Let's leave them alone."

Alexander patted Torr on the back and pressed a kiss to the top of Erica's head. Anymore mushy, romantic, dribble this evening and he was going to need a roll of Tums and an airsickness bag. "Congratulations you two." He snatched another piece of pie on his way out of the kitchen.

Finally alone, Torr rose up from his knee and gave Erica a kiss on the lips. "That was the proposal I wanted to give you from the start."

Erica wound her arms around Torr's neck and rested her forehead against his. "Ken couldn't have done it any better."

"Who?"

Erica giggled and rubbed the tip of her nose against his, "Never mind."

Chapter 124

David kicked in the backdoor. Somewhere in the woods his sister had managed to give him the slip and gotten away. He'd spent the day and well into the evening tracking her. She wasn't that hard to find. All he had to do was follow her path of destruction till it led him right to her. The carcasses of dead animals, he'd expected. What he saw in the sunny yellow kitchen with its obligatory Midwestern red and white gingham checked curtains was something straight out of a horror movie. And he ought to know, after all he starred in one every night. "Theresa, what have you done?"

Theresa dropped the body on the cheery red and white tile floor straight out of the nineteen-fifties. The body struck with a hollow sounding thud. "I...I was hungry." She scrambled to her feet and shuffled around the body, doing her best to block her brother's view of the damning evidence. "I didn't want to kill them. Look," defensively, she planted her hands on her hips, "I tried it your way and it just wasn't working. I didn't ask for this," she sniveled, "you made me this way. I'm just so hungry. I can't help it."

"You killed them both?" David pushed past his sister and swallowed back the bile that rose in his throat. The elderly couple and their little dog lay in a heap of death and blood in the middle of the kitchen floor. Streaks of drying blood stained the faces of white metal cabinets. Blood congealed in scattered pools around the bodies, already stinking of death as decay set in. He couldn't tell from the mess she'd made which one went first and it really didn't matter. The dead could not be brought back to life. "How am I supposed to clean this up?"

"We can... we can make it look like an accident." Theresa snapped her fingers, "I know, we'll cut the gas line and blow the place sky high. No victim, no crime right?"

"My sister used to be a decent person, a nice, respectable, law abiding, model citizen. Look at you," he motioned to the blood on her chin. "LOOK AT YOU NOW!"

"Yeah, I was. WAS. In case you forgot, your sister isn't human anymore."

"When the Sons finally do catch up with us. We are both dead. BOTH OF US! Don't you get it? They will kill us first and ask questions later."

"You make it sound like the Sons are the boogeyman. Stop being such a baby and help me." Theresa tugged on the ancient gas stove and scooted it out from the wall.

David scrounged through the kitchen drawers for matches or something to ignite the gas. "If there were a boogeyman for the undead, the Sons would be it." He snatched a pile of rags off the countertop. "Let's get this done."

The house went up like a roman candle, casting orange flames high into the night sky. Hardly a fitting memorial to the bodies burning inside. David wrestled with his guilt and silently prayed that the Sons would come quickly and end it, just end it. His sister was diseased. Her heart was black as the starless sky above. He wasn't going to be able to bring her back. And she was right, this whole mess was his fault to begin with. Better he die than to live with guilt for the thing he'd created.

O'Sullivan smirked. The inferno miles away should get the Son's attention. "Amateurs," he muttered in amusement under his breath. The kids were making this far too easy for him. All he was going to have to do was sit back and watch the show. Once Carter was flushed out of hiding by one of his trusted own then... it would be show time. And what a show he had planned.

David smelled a sickly sweet scent over the choking black smoke and burning cinders. Vampire, close and moving very, very fast, the smell of one of his own kind was unmistakable. "Theresa, you've got to run. Hide." Ultimately, David didn't want to die and he didn't want his sister to die. Coming here had been a huge mistake. If he could get them out of this alive. He'd chain her to a wall and feed her himself for the rest of his life if he had to. Maybe, eventually, she'd come around. "RUN!," he shoved her hard into the thick, leafy maze of tall stalks of acres of corn behind the house. Dragging her, he darted into the field.

O'Sullivan drove his quarry hard, pushing them to their limits. The night zipped past in a blur of darkness. He needed to steer them toward the sleepy down just a handful of miles from their present course. Nothing stirred a Son to action faster than the presence of a killer in their town. And he had two of them, dangling like bait from the hook.

Chapter 125

Carter bounced R.J. on his knee. The baby cooed and dribbled joyously. These days, instead of protecting an entire city, his focus narrowed down to protecting just two lives. His life was all about keeping them safe, diaper changes, feeding schedules, and making Shayla the happiest woman on the planet. The time was coming to make a decision. His Guardians were doing well enough without him, perhaps it was time to let them go.

Bianca was capable enough to lead the Guardians. She was hungry and eager for her turn at the helm. Some women had a perfume, or a signature piece of jewelry for their trademark. Bianca's was ruthlessness and she wore it with unparalleled enthusiasm. As a leader, she could do the job. But, she'd bear careful, careful watching to keep her in check. Otherwise, she'd spin out of control like a top and take the Guardians and the city with her.

Carter knew he could not serve two masters. He couldn't be hours from his city and protect it. In turn, he couldn't be in his city and protect the ones he loved. He'd been here holed up in his love nest and his city was suffering the consequences. Shayla couldn't survive in his urban world. She was as wild and untamed and the woods surrounding her, to take her away from her home would break the spirit he loved so much. The choice wasn't very difficult to make and he didn't spend a great deal of time deliberating on it. The Guardians would go on with or without him. He was far too easy to replace. Shayla loved him and she'd suffered a great deal. In her heart, at least he hoped, he could never be replaced.

Sometimes, Carter regretted his overly sensitive nose. "R.J. what has your mother been feeding you?" He rose from the rocker and carried the baby over to the changing table. Holding his breath, he unsnapped the onsie and opened the dirty diaper. "You know this is quite undignified of you. Why couldn't you save this treat till your mother gets done hunting?" R.J. blew slobber bubbles and kicked his feet, oblivious to the bad manners he displayed. Groaning, Carter pulled a fresh diaper out of the pack and set about his task. Such is life, he thought. He was a vampire capable of leading an army of legions and he preferred to be a homebody, changing dirty diapers and dabbing spit up off his two hundred dollar shirts.

Chapter 126

Evan was a little boy, thus tended to have a little boy's attention span. Without much else to do besides pace, Ruby checked on Evan's progress. All in all, she wasn't disappointed in the notes. Neatly printed words written in thick crayon on brightly colored construction paper sat in a stack on the corner of his desk. Taking his time, he meticulously folded each one. "Am I doing good, Mommy?"

"Yes, very good. Your dad and I are so proud of you for taking your punishment so seriously." She took one of the notes from the top of the stack and read it - simple, direct, and to the point. "Nice job. Tomorrow, you can finish up and deliver these. I think you've had enough for one day."

Evan stretched and wiggled his cramped fingers. "Mom, do you think you and dad will get back together?" He studied his mom's reaction and noticed the sadness return to her eyes.

"Sometimes people do stupid, hurtful things; especially to the ones they love. What I did...it hurt your father a great deal." Sadly, Ruby shook her head, "I don't think so Evan. I really tried to make it up to him, I really did. But sometimes, the hurt is like a wound and it causes so much pain that it never truly heals."

"You don't think dad will forgive you." Evan scrambled onto his mom's lap and gave her a hug. If anybody ever needed one, she did.

Ruby stroked the fine hairs on the back of Evan's neck and wondered at the fact that despite all that she'd done her son still loved her. "I'm not sure I can forgive myself." A deep breath passed from her lips. "Now then, off to bed with you."

Evan stopped on his way to the bathroom. "Mom, I'm really sorry I hurt your feelings today. I didn't mean to act like such a brat. But, I'd do it again, just to see you and dad together, if only for a minute or two."

Ruby turned down the covers and fluffed Evan's pillow. From the bathroom she heard the sound of running water and the rhythmic whisper of his toothbrush. Sometimes, she didn't know what to make of him. He looked like a kid. He acted like a kid, but there was a very old soul hidden behind his youthful eyes.

Hanning spent the rest of the day sequestered in his room. He needed a vacation from his life. After the scene at the birthday party, thoughts of divorce loomed over his head like a dark cloud of impending doom. Admitting that he'd failed at the one thing he should fight to preserve was not an easy task. There was little time left till he'd have to say aloud the thoughts rambling in his head.

Women flocked around him like flies to a sugar bowl. They were beautiful enough and more than eager to help him forget his broken marriage. He just didn't have any interest in them. For now, he was still a married man and he could at least step out with that one little vow unbroken. Even after he was single, he doubted that he'd rush into their beds anytime soon. His marriage might be over, but he still wasn't over her.

Jealousy reared its ugly, green head. If he were getting heavy lidded looks from women, looks filled with unspoken offers and innuendo, was Ruby getting them from the pool of available men too? There were certainly better looking guys than him. Guys with wider shoulders and broader chests, and undoubtedly, better equipment. Rage boiled to the surface. She was his wife! HIS Damn it! If another man so much as sneezed in her direction, there was going to be a fight.

Hanning dragged his hand through his hair in frustration. What did he expect? If he cast her back into the pond, someone was going to catch her with his net. He could hardly demand that she remain chaste and pure, devoted only to him when he was the one who had turned her away. Ruby would seek solace in another's embrace. If he was going to go through with the Revocation, he would have to get used to it.

Ruby was an attractive woman. He shouldn't kid himself that some male wouldn't be eager to bask in her finer attributes. Her hair was silky black, like a dark velvet curtain. Her waist was trim and for her short stature> She had legs that went clear up to there. Her breasts were the perfect size, just right for caressing. A guy could lose himself in her dark eyes, spend hours just counting the flecks of gold scattered like stars in a night sky.

His cock jumped to attention in his pants at the thought of those berry lips and how sweet they could be. His body was the ultimate betrayer. He could THINK whatever he wanted. He could fill his head with lies about what his heart truly felt. But his body always, always told the truth. In true monk fashion, he'd denied himself pleasures of the flesh for far too long. He wanted her. Jealousy had stirred his wolf and both he and his wolf wanted to claim possession to what was theirs, while they still could.

It would feel good, his body coaxed. A ripple of want tore through his gut, increasing the pressure in his groin. Yes, it would feel good. But, sex with Ruby wasn't fair to either of them. How could he even think about doing that to her when he still wasn't absolutely sure of what he wanted? His body wanted her, that much was obvious. His heart wanted her. Otherwise he wouldn't be sick in the pit of his gut with jealousy. It was his head that he had to convince. He was so tired of the argument between his heart, head, and body. Something had to give. Soon. Now was not the time to think with his cock.

What was a man to do? His body nagged him to search Ruby out. His heart beat for her alone. And his head prattled on and on and on, spouting hurts and offences. He stomped off to the shower to take care of his body. Maybe if he calmed his aching cock, he'd be able to think clearly.

The hot spray rolled over his shoulders. So, this is what he'd been reduced to, jerking off in the shower. What a waste of a perfectly good erection. Ruby was only two doors down. He poured a generous portion of shower gel into his hands and rubbed it over his chest. His hand snaked lower, down over his belly, and lower still till his fingers wrapped around the source of his frustration. He was so hard even the slightest touch made him ache. Slowly, he began to stroke along his shaft, finding his rhythm. He tried to conjure up a mental picture of a particularly chesty blonde that had held his sole infatuation since his teens. His cock warbled and wavered in response. He sorted through his mental inventory of fantasy women. They'd never let him down before. Nothing was working, he was half-erect and miserable as hell. He needed release, badly. Giving in, he focused on Ruby, or what she looked like in his mind's eye and got himself off.

He finished showering and dried himself, even more miserable than when he'd first gotten into the shower. A soapy palm in the shower might have been good enough when he was seventeen. As an adult, he found the act sorely lacking. He needed the real thing. A night of sweaty, pound an indentation in the mattress, don't come a knockin when the trailer's a rockin, sex... with his wife.

Ruby stretched out on the bed and tried to relax. The events of the day rolled through her mind and left her rigid and tense. Her brain was taxed and so was her body. The last thing she wanted was the instant replay that kept repeating over and over again. She needed something to help her smooth out the wrinkles and ease her distraught body. Hanning was always so good at that. He knew how to take her mind off things. If only she could go to him and have him love her just one more time before it was over.

Restlessly she turned onto her back and stared up at the ceiling. She had been such a bitch to him. The things she said about him in the heat of the moment were untrue. She enjoyed making love to him. At the time, making him think that she faked it seemed like a good idea. She regretted those words, she really did.

Loneliness gripped her heart in its cold, iron fist. A warm body in the bed next to her would be such a comfort. She could have it. There'd been lots of flirtation from men she barely knew. Her bed didn't have to be empty, any night. Unfortunately, any man wouldn't do. She wanted her husband, while she still had him. Maybe, if she begged, he'd let her curl up next to him for just one night. They didn't have to do anything. The sight of her probably disgusted him. She couldn't expect him to soften his heart after all the things she'd said and done, let alone get past his revulsion to actually touch her.

1...6869707172...75