Dawn Redeemed

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Hanning poured himself a mug of coffee and retreated to the quiet of the deck. A haze hung over the woods, coating it in a blanket of white mist. How much time did he have left to decide? So much, his whole world hung in the balance of one choice. Words could rebuild with the same efficiency as they destroyed. One word would do just that, rebuild. While the other would do the opposite and lay everything to ruin. He wished, how he wished, he didn't have to say either word.

Eloise saw Hanning leaning heavily against the deck railing, lost in a world of thoughts. Quietly, she eased through the patio doors and stood to join him.

Hanning bowed his head, "Mistress."

Eloise smiled and waved her hand, "There's no need for that anymore." She took a sip from her mug and stared out into the glory of another unfolding day.

"Old habits die hard."

"Hanning, some habits are best let go of and some are worth keeping around."

"How do you know which is which?"

"Sometimes, Hanning, you don't. It's nothing more than a guess." The morning air had such a freshness to it. Underneath the layers of heat and humidity, a coolness rose from the ground and nipped at the soles of her feet. "The council will be meeting soon."

"I know."

"Have you already reached your decision?"

"Mistress...Eloise," Hanning corrected himself. "I'm still deciding if an old habit is best broken or worth keeping around."

Eloise rested her fingers on Hanning's bicep, "I understand. Yours is not an easy decision to make."

"No, it isn't."

Chapter 129

O'Sullivan chased the wayward youth all night. Something he hadn't expected had happened to alter the course of events. Usually baby vampires were so predictable. This pair was not. Midway through the chase, they split up. No matter. One was all he needed. He had to be careful and keep himself well out of sight, lest he give the game away before its time.

The blinding glare of dawn drove David to a grinding halt. He cursed his eyes and their weakness. Sheltering under a thick grove of low hanging branches, he cowered and waited. Somewhere in the process of running from the Sons, he and his sister had gotten split up. She was still alive, he could feel it through their link. He also felt her hunger, like a roaring beast. He knew the sensation all too well, for it was his own. She was hiding somewhere, just like him, till the comfort of darkness fell again. Then, she would hunt, and not for animals, but for bigger and better prey. He had to stop her. He knew exactly where she was headed when the sun went down.

Theresa crawled on her belly. The place she'd chosen to hide looked safe enough. If she could stay put till evening, she'd be right in the heart of the hunt. A hot breeze fluttered the flags of the grandstand. They sounded like the flapping of great wings, preparing for flight. She was under the stage, tucked well out of sight.

In the confusion of the chase, giving David the slip had been way too easy. Even as a kid he'd been terrible at hide and seek. Being a vampire didn't change that in that in the least. Before he caught up with her. She was going to have her fill of carnival faire. Then she was swearing off human blood, for good. A tidbit here and there was all David said she really needed. She could do it. She was in control and could quit whenever she wanted to. The problem was, she just didn't want to. Maybe she and her brother should give up and just go their separate ways. Obviously, they didn't have too much in common these days.

Evan stewed about how he was going to get to the county fair tonight. The ad in the newspaper boasted fireworks, free carnival rides, and live...he ran his finger over the word and sounded it out...entertainment. ENTERTAINMENT! That was what the word said. He was grounded, doomed to two weeks of solitary confinement before and after school and meals. How was he going to convince his mom and dad to let him go? He really had learned from his mistakes. Not that he wouldn't repeat the same mistake over and over till his mom and dad made up, because he would. But, he'd learned nonetheless.

Time to pour on his innocuous kid charm and get a ticket to the fair. "Uncle Carter, what's this word?" Evan thrust the newspaper under Uncle Carter's nose and looked up at him with wide, round eyes.

Carter studied the advertisement, while watching R.J. out of the corner of one eye and Evan out of the corner of the other. He didn't know a lot about children, but he got the sense that Evan was up to something. Something diabolical.

Shayla came in behind Carter and peeked over his shoulder reading the flyer in Evan's hand. "Oh the fair is in town. I don't think I've ever been to one. Let's go tonight. Look they're having fireworks."

Carter folded the paper. "Not one beheading or public hanging. Fairs have changed quite a bit since my day."

Evan wrinkled his nose, "What's a beheading?"

"Never you mind," Ruby said, giving her kid a gentle pat on the butt to shoo him back to his cereal. "Good morning guys," she said jovially as she slid the newspaper out of Carter's hands. "Oh, a fair. Mom wouldn't ever let us go. She believed that associating with common humans was bad for young wolves."

"You're expressly chipper today," Carter observed.

"Thanks I feel very, very chipper today. Shayla, we should drag the kids to the fair tonight. Evan's never seen fireworks before."

Shayla's brows furrowed in confusion. Ruby was dressed in her best. Her hair hung loosely around her shoulders instead of its usual messy ponytail. She was smiling and happy. Happier than Shayla had seen her in a long time, practically beaming. "Ok," she said dumbfounded by the sudden change in her sister's behavior. "If Carter agrees, of course."

Carter spooned a bite of applesauce into R.J.'s eagerly awaiting mouth. "It'd be my pleasure to escort you two fine ladies and the children to the fair." He had no doubt that he could protect two women and two children from anything that might come up. Besides, the place would be crawling with Sons.

"Mom..." Evan wailed, "I'm still grounded. Dad won't let me go."

"Consider this a one night reprieve. You've got time to be grounded, but the fair only comes once a year. We're going to consider it a field trip, for school. Tomorrow you can research the history of fireworks and give me a full report on the subject."

Evan beamed in triumph. "Can dad come too?"

"If he wants," Ruby said with forced casualness. She'd love to walk down the midway, arm in arm with her husband. She couldn't get her hopes up. She couldn't assume victory was hers. He'd given her every hope but no solid indication that he intended to stop the Revocation. Very shortly, she could find herself a single woman again.

Hanning stepped in from the patio and shut the door tightly behind him to keep out the heat that by noon was going to be stifling and intolerable. His eyes met Ruby's for a brief second as he crossed the room and gave Evan a peck on the top of his head. "Good morning."

"Guess what dad!," Evan bristled with excitement. "Aunt Shayla and Uncle Carter are taking mom and me to see the fireworks tonight!"

"They are." Hanning was amused by the excited animation in his son's voice. "I thought you were grounded?"

"I am. But, mom says that its more of a fieldtrip, for educational purposes, than for fun. I have to do a report on the history of fireworks tomorrow."

"Sounds fair enough." Hanning shot Ruby a knowing glance. Evan had had far too much disappointment in his young life. The grounding could wait one night.

"She says you can go with us...if you want," Evan looked up at his dad. His big eyes, imploring.

Hanning didn't like the thought of Evan in a crowd of strangers without proper protection. Carter, was quite able, to keep his son and wife safe. But, protecting them wasn't Carter's job, it was his. "You know Son, I think I will. I haven't had funnel cake in years."

"Dad, what's a funnel cake?"

"Paradise in a wax paper wrapper. You'll see." He gave Evan's hair a tousle with his fingers and gave him a wink. He knew he'd been had. Evan was doing his best to push his parents together again. For today, Hanning was willing to let it go. Despite his heavy burdens, he was ready for a little fun and to put the world on hold for a few hours. What could it hurt?

Chapter 130

Fallon stuffed the last of her toys into a box. Her dad would be here any minute to load her meager cache of toys and worldly possessions and take them to their new home. Today her mom was taking off work and they were moving. She'd miss seeing her aunt and uncle everyday after class and she'd miss petting Jack. But, she was excited and

eager to see what life with a mom and a dad would be like. "I'm all done mom!"

"Let me see...," Erica examined the battered chest of drawers and the deep recesses of the closet, finding them bare. "Good job." Fallon had most of her things still packed in moving boxes. Between the two of them, they could have hauled all their unpacked belongings in a little red wagon with plenty of room to spare. "Your dad should be here soon."

Torr pulled into the driveway and killed the ignition. Today was the first day of the rest of his life. Nervousness pounded through him and he was filled with niggling doubts about the move. Could he really make them happy? Was his tiny one story ranch good enough for them? He pushed the doubts away and made room for happy thoughts of a new life, one he deserved, filled with joy and the women he loved most. Fallon rushed out onto the porch to greet him with a wave. He jumped down from the cab and returned her gesture. "You guys ready?"

Fallon smiled up at him and nodded. She stood on her tiptoes and whispered, "Uncle Alexander's a little grumpy this morning."

"Got it, thanks," Torr whispered back. Alexander saw Torr as the embodiment of the enemy. Torr was taking his little girls away from him. He understood Alexander's protective inclinations. When it came to Erica and Fallon, he felt them himself.

"Good morning Torr, want some breakfast before you get started?" Leigh was chipper as a blue jay perched on a fence. Alexander grumbled a greeting at Torr and returned to his toast and coffee. Ignoring his wife's not so gentle pinch to the back of his neck, he groused. Erica and Fallon were moving out. When he'd just gotten used to having them around.

"Coffee would be great if you've got any left. I don't want to put you to any trouble."

"Oh, it's no trouble at all." Leigh plopped two slices of toast in the toaster and cracked four eggs, stirring them in the skillet as she poured Torr a heaping mug of fresh coffee. Fixing breakfast and hovering over Torr like a mother, was her way of delaying the inevitable goodbye. Not that she didn't want Erica and Fallon to be happy, because she did. She just wasn't looking forward to the loss of feminine company and having no one to talk to everyday except for Alexander. Unless she could speak football or engines, her husband wasn't usually that interested in conversation. She was going to be an empty nester... again.

Torr gracefully devoured the eggs, toast, bacon, and coffee with frequent complements to the cook. Things would be different, very different for Alexander and Leigh without Erica and Fallon around. He sensed the love the foursome had for one another and felt a twinge of guilt for breaking them apart.

"We're all ready to go," Erica said as she stopped to give Torr a peck on the forehead and steal a piece of bacon. She was nervous about her decision. All morning she'd been tormenting herself with worry that had no basis in fact. Her aunt had piled up a plate for Torr, feeding him as if it were his last meal. And if he was going to survive on her cooking, it might very well be. Her cooking abilities were limited at best.

What if she failed to live up to his expectations of what a live in girlfriend should be? Torr was going from single guy to family man in the blink of an eye. What if family life was too much for him to handle? Erica smoothed her hands down the front of her shorts and shoved the doubts out of her head. This was supposed to be a happy time for them. Looking for trouble where there wasn't any was not going to do anybody any good.

Torr forced down the last bite and carried his plate and mug to the sink. They were rinsed and in the dishwasher before Leigh had a chance to open her mouth in protest. "Where do you want to start?"

A couple of hours and a few strained muscles later, Erica took the last box from Torr. Her whole life fit, neatly stacked, into the back of a pick up truck. She was almost thirty and this was it. Everything she owned. Gently, she reminded herself, she'd sold everything that wouldn't fit in her car to come up with the money to move back. Of course she didn't have much left. She was still, almost perpetually it seemed, in the process of starting over.

Jack twitched his ears at the loud honk of a horn. Fallon quickly gave his soft muzzle a pat and trotted away. Hugs were passed around like candy at Halloween. She'd miss the smell of her aunt's perfume and the roughness of her uncle's hands. She'd miss her tiny room and the sound of cricket song to sing her to sleep. She'd have to get used to things all over again. Her mind was giddy, filled with excitement, as she climbed up into the truck and over the seat to the bench seat in the back.

Erica gave her aunt and uncle a tight hug and climbed into the passenger side of the truck. She rolled down the windows and gave a nervous wave as the tires crunched on the white rock.

Torr gave the horn a gentle tap and slid the truck into drive at the end of the driveway. He reached out and took Erica's hand in his, resting them on the divider between the seats. The smile she shot him, gave him encouragement. Together they could make this work. Finally, after years of waiting, he had what he'd always wanted most. Love. Love to give and love to receive.

Fallon stared out of the window and watched the cornfields zip past. As far as her eyes could see, was nothing but an endless ocean of green. The truck slowed as it made the curve into town. She saw the brightly painted rides and the beginnings of a crowd dot the fairgrounds. "Look mom, the fair is tonight. Can we go?"

Erica wasn't about to say yes. Her back was sore and her legs stiff. And all she'd done was take the boxes from Torr and slide them into the bed of the truck. They all had to be moved into the house and unpacked. "I don't know, Honey. We'll see."

Fallon frowned and pressed her nose to the glass. Even from the truck, the air was filled with the sweet aroma of carnival food and the loud chatter of voices. "I hope we can."

Chapter 131

The streets below were bathed in the dull orange and shadow of evening. Bianca rested her head on the thick glass window dozens of stories up that separated the world of the living from the necropolis of the damned. Would she really want to be one of the little people hustling about down there trying to eek a harvest out of miles of hardened concrete? Could any human ever be as happy with such a lot? O'Sullivan was right, long after these buildings toppled into decaying ruins and the little humans down below turned to fossils. They'd still be here, watching, existing, but never truly alive. What a bargain, the dust of a forgotten grave for this...ceaseless existence.

She never understood the grudge match between Carter and O'Sullivan. For centuries they'd waged on. Many times before one had come close to ending the other, but never had a killing blow been dealt. Her wayward child had presented her with an opportunity to cross the foes' paths yet again. Maybe this time, they'd do her a favor and put an end to each other. This field of concrete and steel was fertile as the Nile, and the harvest was at hand. Bianca had her sights, not on a place at the devil's right hand, but in his own seat.

Evan's eyes were round with wonder as they marveled over all the strange sights lining the midway. He rode high on his dad's shoulders looking over the sea of strangers as it ebbed and flowed. Every new scent was a treat for his nose. Every new sound a party for his ears. Every sight a masterpiece for him to capture. To a little boy, the fair was like a hundred birthday parties all going on at the same time! "What's that Dad?" Evan asked pointing to a ride towering over all the rest.

"That's a Ferris Wheel."

"It goes so high," Evan said, craning his neck to get a better look. He wondered if he wouldn't be able to touch the stars from the top of the ride. "I bet you can see our house from up there."

"Maybe." Hanning was glad he'd let Evan come. Even though the kid did manipulate him into going.

Ruby pulled a generous piece of cotton candy off of the stick and handed it to Evan. "Be careful that you don't get your sticky fingers in your dad's hair."

Evan took the bite and stuffed it into his mouth. A burst of sweetness exploded in his mouth as the spun sugar melted on his tongue. "Mom are you scared to ride the Ferris Wheel?"

"Of course not."

"Dad, are you?" Evan asked.

Hanning brushed Evan's sticky fingerprints off his cheek the best he could. "Are you?"

"Nah," Evan answered. His attention was quickly diverted from the Ferris Wheel by a kid sized roller coaster that clattered along a rusty steel track. Brightly painted cars sped along the rails in a dazzling display. Wooden cutouts of Spiderman and The Green Goblin were scattered about the base of the ride. "Wow!" he gasped in amazement.

Carter pushed the stroller over the straw covered, lumpy ground. Occasionally lifting it over wads of thick black power cords that stretched across the walkway like octopus tentacles. He shared a glance and a chuckle with Shayla at Evan's building enthusiasm. R.J. was content to kick his legs and watch in fascination as the crowds flowed past and lights danced in front of his eyes.

So, this is what normal people did. Little ones dragged their parents by the hand, and most likely by the wallet, from amusement to amusement. Couples strolled, without a care in the world, with fingers intertwined. Magic and intrigue floated on the air accompanied by the sounds of laughter, gay screams of delight, and excited chatter. Every corner of a once barren field had a sight, a sound, and a scent to behold and entice the senses. Carter gathered Shayla's hand into his and they trailed behind Ruby and Hanning, following whatever direction Evan's excited little finger dictated.

"Let's ride the Ferris Wheel, Dad." All the rides looked so exciting and full of the promise of fun. But out of all of them, the Ferris Wheel intrigued him the most. It wasn't the blaring music or garish lights that ran in a rainbow of color along its spokes. Evan wasn't sure exactly why the Ferris Wheel piqued his curiosity. Maybe it was just the way the giant wheel towered above his head like an unconquerable force; a virtual mountain of steel, fiberglass, and electronics that dared him to try to master its unchallenged supremacy.

Ruby waited in line to buy three tickets for the giant Ferris Wheel. Shayla was terrified of heights and Carter, well...Carter was just Carter. In all his cool and aloof nature, nothing held his fascination for more than a split second, except for Shayla and R.J.. In a way Ruby envied them. Their relationship was full of firsts and happy starts and hers writhed in its death throes. "Three please," she said to the man in the ticket booth.

She smiled as Evan bounced on his dad's shoulders excitedly while she waved the newly purchased tickets in the air. For tonight, she would pretend to be happy and upbeat, for his sake. There'd be plenty of time to wallow in self pity later. Whatever scraps of hope she clung to were fleeting and failed her when she needed them the most. Her forced smile made her jaws ache. Hanning looked every bit as uncomfortable as she felt. They were at an awkward place in their relationship. Last night should have bound them together. Instead it acted like a wedge forced between them. "Let's get in line," she said with cheer she didn't really feel.