Dawn Released

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
msnomer68
msnomer68
298 Followers

Carter finished packing the meager stack of boxes that Shayla planned to take with her on her journey to find a new life. Really, it wasn't so much, mainly enough to get by. She'd left most of her old life, stored in the basement under a relative's care. It didn't matter what she took or what she stored. Her old life went with her, locked in the secrets places of her heart, wherever she went. And he knew there was no escaping the past, not for anyone.

He scowled at the aged Toyota. The tires were good, but his superior hearing picked up on the sound of the ancient engine's wheeze and gasps. "I'll drive," he demanded, giving her no leeway to protest.

"Don't scowl at the beast like that. I've had this car a long time and she's never let me down."

"Yet." Carter slid behind the wheel and adjusted the seat as best he could given his long frame and considerable height. He slid his dark lenses out of his jacket pocket and planted them firmly on the bridge of his nose.

Shayla frowned as she buckled up. "Are you going to be able to see with those on? It's barely daybreak."

"I am a superior driver," Carter replied. He was distracted from the banter with Shayla by a light tap on his window and a tiny nose pressed firmly against the glass. Evan stuck out his tongue and grinned widely at him.

"Uncle Carter..."

Carter scowled and glanced at Shayla. "Uncle?" He rolled down the window before the child caught something off the glass. Evan's slobber smeared the window. "Quit that. You'll catch something," he huffed at the innocuous boy. "What is it that you want, child?"

Evan hopped up and hung inside of the open window. His feet dangled against the door. "Kiss!"

Carter was assaulted by a pair of slobber covered lips as they left a trail smeared across his cheek. "You do not have to slobber all over me, child. I do not require such a goodbye." His voice was stern, but his mouth curled in a grin. For some inexplicable reason the boy had latched onto him and Carter had the feeling the kid was stuck to him like glue. Evan's little fingers curled around the back of Carter's neck.

Gingerly, Carter patted the boy between his thin, bird wing scapulae. "I'll see you when we arrive at your new home. While you're on the road, do exactly what your mother and father tells you to. Do not stray away from them. The world out there is very different from what you are used to. Promise me, you will run and scream as loudly as you can if a stranger approaches you." He could not bear the thought of someone hurting this energetic, curious, innocent child, especially one of his kind.

"Ok. I promise." Evan inched closer for another squeeze of the big vampire's hand. "Uncle Carter, someday will you let me come over and have a sleep over with you? Mama thinks you live in a crypt and sleep in a coffin, but I'm not scared."

Shayla snorted at Evan's comments. Out of the mouths of babes. Evan obviously made Carter uncomfortable, but he was hardly threatening to her nephew. If anything he was gentle and kind to the little boy, tolerant of his curiosity and endless questions. The boy tamed the beast inside of Carter and brought it to its knees.

"We'll see, little one. Maybe someday, I'll show you my crypt and let you sleep in my coffin." He extended his fangs and curled his lip playfully hissing beneath his breath.

Evan giggled and let go of Carter's neck, sliding down the car door until his feet hit the ground. "You're funny. I wanna be like you when I grow up."

Carter stiffened and stared at the little boy. Evan was so impressionable, too impressionable to be around a beast like him. "No Evan, no you don't. Now go find your mother." He watched the little boy trot down the row of cars and hop into his father's arms. Without a word or a glance at Shayla to explain, he stared out into the neat rows of houses. He hoped like hell that Evan would grow up big and strong, into a fine man untainted by the darkness that dwelled and lurked in every corner so eager to snatch his youth and innocence away. He'd make certain with his dying breath that the darkness never reached that little boy.

Torr climbed into the truck. The interior smelled of his father. The truck belonged to him now, but his father's essence permeated every surface. He rolled down the window to dampen the smell and the memories that accompanied it. He idled the truck as he waited for the convoy to move out.

The belongings of some family were stacked into the bed and tightly strapped down. He was glad to help someone make a fresh start out of the ruins left in his father's wake. He was taking nothing from this place but the barest of necessities. A bag of clothes, his laptop, and his cell phone, were the bulk of what he had in this world that actually and solely belonged to him.

He patted the hand written stashed list in his pocket. He spent last night searching the Internet and writing down the address and phone number of every Erica Grey he could find. She was out there somewhere and he was going to find her. He didn't deceive himself with romantic notions of her. For them, there would be no fresh start, only a continuation of a spark that they'd brought to life ten years ago. Something he had to see to the finish. Fatherhood frightened him. Being a father wasn't for a brief moment and it didn't end in eighteen years. It was for life. He was willing to take a chance and be the best father he could possibly be with every ounce of energy he had.

Hanning strapped Evan tightly in his car seat. The boy was practically bursting with excitement about their new adventure and truthfully, so was he. Ruby was more guarded and hesitant, but at least she was willing to let him try to make a life for them in a new place. Leaving the old behind was never easy. He knew that she would miss her home and her extended family. He'd miss them too. He'd miss staying and not taking the chance for something better even more. Ruby knew that and understood it. She'd placed her future in his hands the moment she'd said 'I do' and he would make good on his promises to her. He'd find a place for them to call home and devote his attention to her and her happiness. "I love you."

Ruby smiled at her husband and grabbed his hand. Hanning was a good man, a capable man. He was everything she could possibly want in a husband and she felt a pang of guilt as soon as the words formed in her mouth. "I know." Leaving was terrifying and the adventure she was about to embark upon frightened her. She didn't know what waited for them in the north, but she had to do this for her family and a little for herself.

A fresh start would be a good thing. It might be difficult and she'd be homesick, but she'd try with everything she had to be happy, if not for her own sake, for the sakes of her husband and her son. Wherever they were, as long as they were all together, she'd be happy. She had to be.

Tristen stretched out in the backseat and yawned sleepily. He was more than happy to spend the trip catching up on a bazillion hours of lost sleep. He was so right about his grandpa and Eloise, they were still blushing, making kissy faces and doe eyes at each other. If they didn't cut it out, he was going to need a barf bag. He could get diabetes from the sappiness in the air. His head banged against the door as it opened. "Hey!"

Tucker grabbed his bag and threw it into the third seat of the cavernous interior. "Got room for one more?" He asked not waiting for Tristen's grumbling reply as he climbed over the second row and flopped into the vacant seat behind him.

Kacie gave Tracker and Catcher one last hug before she climbed into the seat beside Tristen. "Who's this?" She asked peering into the third row of seats.

"Tucker at your service m'lady." He extended his hand to her and grinned when she reached over the seat to take it.

Tristen pried Tucker's hand out of Kacie's grip. "Hands off, Romeo. She's taken."

"You're going out with that dork?"

Kacie snickered, "I guess I am."

Nash bent and kissed Eloise on the top of her head. He draped an arm over her shoulders and guided her to the SUV. "Its time to go." He had given of himself and had gotten so much in return. The few days he spent in Texas had changed him forever. He was a better man for them. He was a better man because of the love of a woman. Eloise, his wife, his love, and his life.

Eloise ran her eyes over the long rows of flat roofs and neatly manicured lawns. So much had changed and yet things looked the same. She guessed the biggest changes happened inside where no one could see them. The place wasn't different, but its inhabitants sure were. No one would ever be the same again. Tragedy brought them closer. Solidified the bonds of family and kin.

Suffering had purified her. Stripped her of the cold veneer that once masked her and kept her isolated from life, real life. Before, nothing was real. It was all for show. Her life was real, for the first time. She didn't have to hind behind a mask. She didn't have to worry about being seen as weak. She was free to love her daughters openly. She was free to give her heart to Nash and to receive his in return. The price of her freedom had been heavy and every one in this place had paid their dues. She was humbled at the cost of their sacrifices. There was no way she could ever repay them. Truthfully, they didn't expect her to. The best tribute she could give to those who had suffered so much was to live. Live happily and wholly, with her whole heart and to never look back with a moment's regret.

The convoy rolled out of the complex and onto the interstate. Each vehicle bound for a destination. The future was like the open road before them. They didn't know what waited for them beyond each twist and turn or where it would take them. But, that was the joy of freedom, the right to choose to turn left or right, to just keep on trucking into the unknown, or to go in a complete circle and end up back at the beginning. Any choice was the right one as long as they had the freedom to choose.

msnomer68
msnomer68
298 Followers