All Comments on 'Dream Small'

by Rollinbones

Sort by:
  • 263 Comments
ArdieffArdieffover 3 years ago

Sweet and touching.

AmbisinisterAmbisinisterover 3 years ago
Beautiful story

Very touching

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
I cry as I read this...

Thank you

JayDiverJayDiverover 3 years ago

5 Could be nothing less. Thank you.

SW_MO_HermitSW_MO_Hermitover 3 years ago
Absolutely FANTASTIC

Made this old man cry. So much love in this short story. Life as it should be lived.

jmcharl1jmcharl1over 3 years ago

Such a wonderful story

Thank you for this. It was so very good to read. Something in the air as I’m writing this - allergies are acting up and my eyes are watering.

stevenraystevenrayover 3 years ago

Damn! Thank you! Very moving.

ewill86ewill86over 3 years ago

5 is the only rating that would be proper. If available, it should be 6, or 10, or 100. "Romance" is the proper place on Literotica for the telling of such as this; stories of the wonderful, positive side of The Human Condition. Great craftsmanship, great assemblage of a family tale - a family tale of joyous outcomes among the fascist horrors that have characterized this most recent century. My humble thanks to an author who is keenly aware that some have had the great, good fortune to "have lived a long and peaceful life courtesy of the men and women who made it possible for me not to remember the intricate details of a horrible time accurately." Indeed, "Life is far too short for lazy lovers or shitty coffee." Thank you, Rollinbones, for a wonderful, family tale, indeed.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Anonymous

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️! Great story of life’s trials and tribulations. It made me tear up at the end. Thank you for your effort!

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Tear-jerker

Really well done.

AnotherChapterAnotherChapterover 3 years ago

Simply superb! There should be a special designation for a tale such as this, for no amount of stars are sufficient. Thank you for the heart warming love story. Not many submissions here bring a tear to the eye, but you have done so with aplomb!

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Gorgeous!

A big wonderful story full of love and dreams! As good as anything I have ever read in a long lifetime! Thank you for sharing this with all of us fortunate enough to read it.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
WOW!!!!

Really, just WOW!!!

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Encore

I wish I could give it more than 5. A really good romantic story. Well done Sir.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago

After 3 years of going through the Romance category for a good story.

I stumbled upon another Hall of Fame potential.

1000/10

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Great Story

One of the best stories I have read in a long time.

Lector77Lector77over 3 years ago
Thank you

for a lovely story.

A_BierceA_Bierceover 3 years ago

Make room in the Hall of Fame

They don't come any better than this. Even if Sasha was occasionally a bit too...precocious.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Thank you!

So very well written. I had to put the story down twice to cry.

pepepilotpepepilotover 3 years ago

As I finished reading this story, it is 2 AM. As in this story, I have been remembering the good times as well as the not so good times. But that is life. Thank you for probably one of the best stories I have read in recent memory and I'm sure that I will remember many parts of this story for a long time. Thank you for your time and effort in putting this into a written form and allowing my many memories that have come to the forefront.

gbcajbgbcajbover 3 years ago

Awesome story, enjoyed it immensely!

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago

A very good story and so well written,i too had to leave it a few times to dry my eyes

Thank you

oldpantythiefoldpantythiefover 3 years ago
Wow!!!

Great story, very well told and I enjoyed it so much. There is a lot that hits close to home and brought tears to my eyes. Didn't read it for the sex but what was there was handled very well and not sordid, but loving. Solid five stars and worth reading again and again. Thanks

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago

At 77 this story rang true. Thank you for this gift.

eroticaluveroticaluvover 3 years ago
Best Story I’ve Read in a Long Time

This is one of the best stories I have read in a long time. I like how “Pops” was portrayed and how the story was developed. So good. Worth more than only 5 stars.

ukdukeukdukeover 3 years ago

Awesome story.

A fitting tribute to a generation to whom we owe so much. Thank you.

calgarycamperscalgarycampersover 3 years ago

Your story was very well done! You made me feel pretty well every emotion.

Thank you for tye well crafted tale.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
I realise than one cannot use swear words here.

I am 70 years old and cried like a baby you little s..t.

An amazing soul wrentching story.

5 is nowhere near enough.

My thanks to you. Kudos

Robyn1859Robyn1859over 3 years ago

Sorry but the reference to Australian troops in France in WWII set me off and I didn’t get beyond there.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Wonderfully crafted yarn.

Almost an early 20th century Australian outback tale. I read a fair bit as part of getting older and embracing retirement, this is one of the best I have read in the class of Burnt Redstone and other quality authors. What it does point out is the difficulty for quality writers to earn income in these times but the accolades at least are available.

GentleVikingGentleVikingover 3 years ago
Just perfect

What a brilliant story, way too good for us mere mortals on Lit.

Many many thanks for sharing your incredible talent.

@Robyn1859 - There were more than 2000 Australian airmen serving in Europe and elsewhere during WW2. Nurses and other medical personnel were also present in Europe.

LitRezeLitRezeover 3 years ago
5* No Doubt!

Certainly the best new story by far that I have read here in a very long time! Congrats and keep going!

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
One of The All Time Great Stories

I just loved it; shed tears at various times. I loved how it evolved from a simple tale to one encompassing so much love and connection across two continents.

Beautifully written.

AZTT2AZTT2over 3 years ago

Beautiful story. It brought tears to my eyes.

2oothfairy2oothfairyover 3 years ago
Just Beautiful

One of the most delightful stories I have read, it made me smile and cry. Thank you for your beautiful writing

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Good story

I balked a little at the implausibility of a grandad telling the intimate details of his love making to his daughter and granddaughter, even in a candid family like that. And in a fantasy story like this, it’s too bad you had to inject a divorce for Renny, but it didn’t take any stars off of my rating. Thanks for writing it.

ThefirefliesThefirefliesover 3 years ago
Lovely tale, a very good one

Very nice story you weave here RB, with some sweet twists and turns along the way. Funny that as soon as I read 1988 my first thoughts were ‘EXPO 88’ and then the long queues! Btw, I wouldn’t normally comment on another reader’s comment, but I was somewhat astounded (and amused and perhaps even triggered) by Robyn1859 who was triggered by Australian’s serving in Europe during the Second World War - perhaps Robyn and anyone else reading would be surprised to learn that approximately 9% of Royal Air Force aircrew in the European and Mediterranean theatres were Australians. That’s RAF aircrew alone, not to mention all the support personnel and other military. Can’t find the figures for Fighter Command, but over 20,000 served in Bomber Command alone.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago

Too bad there isn't a sixth star to choose.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
One of the best

One of the best stories written in the romance category . Top 20 material .

Proves you don't need steamy sex scenes to write an amazing story. Well done.

texquilltexquillover 3 years ago

This is an absolutely amazing tale! Thanks for making this 5-star effort available on Lit!

keepercoach01keepercoach01over 3 years ago

Damn, absolutely love this.

teedeedubteedeedubover 3 years ago
Glorious

Thank You. I needed that.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago

I cried.... wow. WORK OF ART. You are a gifted writer.

SisterJezabelSisterJezabelover 3 years ago

Thank you fir such a beautifully told tale.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Beautiful story

And well told. Nicely done, off to read whatever else you have written. Thank you.

contel1979contel1979over 3 years ago

Very well done. Thank you for make a dreary Sat. enjoyable.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Lovely story, but some details made it harder to suspend disbelief.

The school leaving age in Queensland was 14 from 1912 until 1965 (when it became 15).. Thus quitting school at 11 is unlikely. No doubt some people did leave school earlier and lie about their age, but as an apprentice barber he would surely have been noticed and found out. As many aspects of the story are improbable it helps suspension of disbeliefiif the details are correct. Him leaving school at 14 would not have substantially altered the story.

I do not think that you had to be particularly small to fly a spitfire, that line did not seen true to life and unlikely, even as a joke.

AFAIK no-one managed to swim the channel to escape in ww2. OK, he was picked up be a British fishing boat after six hours (swimming it seems to take about 20 hours) so the boat would have been a long way towards France. This is not impossible but highly unlikely, I would have accepted it more easily if the school leaving age issue was not grating in my mind making me doubt the story.

The difficulty I had in suspending disbelief is unfortunate as otherwise this is an excellent story.

RollinbonesRollinbonesover 3 years agoAuthor
Thank you

I am humbled by the generousity of your comments. Thank you.

I enjoy the constructive criticism as well. Every time i re-read one of my stories i find an error to slap myself in the proverbial face with. For instance, Clarry fell into a chestnut tree that became a walnut tree later in this story. *facepalm...

I'd like to address anon's school leaving age comment. He/she is correct. Children were declared truant if they left before 14. Ironically, the age eleven was chosen by me because that is the exact age at which my own late grandfather left school to start work as a storeman in a department store in Toowoomba. His alcoholic father had died and he needed to provide for his sisters and his bed-ridden mother. It was not common practice but there were many circumstances in which the authorities overlooked the matter.

In any case. Thank you all for your votes and for taking time to feed my growth with your comments.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago

Oh. My. Word. Breathtakingly good is all I can say, the thread woven and the twists and turns make this a journey of love and tears. Thank you RollinBones, I loved it!

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Beautiful!

A wonderful lo e story! Worthy of .such praise! Thank you!

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Sasha’s project is a dream filled full!

As an ex-mil of an age to have been bruised by the steel butt plate of a “smellie”, son of a barber, and fortunate enough to have travelled to Oz as well as England and western Europe, I want to congratulate Rollinbones on this chef d’oeuvre.

Small towns were truly supportive of kids who stood up for family when there was no other option, even if paper laws needed to be ignored. An 11 yo wanting to support his family would have had no problem with being a gopher, and Karens would have known to ‘shut it’.

There is an awesome museum in Germany with an extensive collection of WW2 aircraft - Technik Museum. Looking into the cockpit of an Me109 gives a similar impression as one gets looking into that of a Spit in a British museum: how bl—dy tight it is, and how compact the pilot must have been to fit in one wearing full flight gear.

A kerosene rinse is a great way to reduce nit-picking, even today.

Capt (retd), RCAC

Radmatt0352Radmatt0352over 3 years ago

Wow....nothing else to say but WOW! A very outstanding story. Stirred up past military emotions from my war days. Love the story and the twists you put in. Again, a very good story. Thanks you. semper fi

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
What a wonderful story.

Being a man in my 70’s, this is the best story I have ever read on Literotica or anywhere else, truly wonderful!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago
Tears

Born in '43 from a gal in an embarkation port. Adopted. Fortunate enough to have visited OZ for several weeks. Strong affection as we were there just after 9-11 and the "we're with ya mates" were much appreciated.

Wonderful story. Probably one of the 5 best I've read here. Thank you.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago

So beautiful! You wrote a great romantic love story.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago
Fabulous story

Terrific story! Thank you.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago
What a wonderful story

What a wonderful story. It is way too late, but I couldn’t stop reading it. I agree with the comment, the best story I’ve read on Literotica.

LalawmanLalawmanabout 3 years ago

Found this author and story by accident. This is a magnificent story and I was unable to put it down. Well done.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago

It made me laugh and sometimes years welled up in my eyes. A great book in just a few pages! Thanks for sharing this with us!

Bammerman76Bammerman76about 3 years ago

Brilliant. Hit me right in the feels.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago

Wonderful story.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago
Wow

Such a wonderful tale, beautifully written

Kosova_guyKosova_guyabout 3 years ago

a very, sweet, lovely piece of storytelling. Thank you for sharing it. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago

terrific story. had to stop reading once or twice due to a lump in my throat. wonderful romance.

AdamdavidsonAdamdavidsonabout 3 years ago

A truly wonderful story.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago

That was truly one of the best stories I’ve read in this site. Actually made me tear up once or twice, and I don’t do that. Bravo.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago

Absolutely fantastic! I so enjoyed reading this. I seldom give 5 stars because I feel it’s unfair to the stories that truly deserve them. I wish I could give this one 10. Thank you for sharing!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago

Beautiful story. Truly! Thank you. ❤️

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago

Great story, thank you.

OvercriticalOvercriticalabout 3 years ago

A Life well lived!

A bit confusing and I had trouble keeping track of the names of the two sets of families, but the sentiment was there and Sasha's epilog tidied it all up. Hard to believe a real love can last a 40 year hiatus, but we can all dream. 5*

dgfergiedgfergieabout 3 years ago

10 stars and many tears later, family is so................I don't have the words. At almost 80 I have a wonderful family my wife gave me (she brought 4 great kids with)when we married. They are all 50 and over today. Then there is the family I had before I met my second wife of 40 years but we won't talk about them. Great story, I needed a little cry.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago

I have tears streaming down my face. This author makes it all seem like it really happened. Emotions tugged from my heart. Joy at their discovering each other when thought to have lost them years ago. Sasha and her school project and her worldly comments added just enough relief. Ha ha.

Strule2019Strule2019about 3 years ago

Loved it!! Just what the doctor ordered for an old romantic like me. It could so easily be turned into a 600 page paperback but is perfect the way it is. All I can say is thank you, you have made an old man very happy.

JuanTwoNoJuanTwoNoabout 3 years ago

Oh man! Grief...love...tears...laughter...sheer unbridled hope, dreams, awe and completion.... this story has it all. Thank you, Rollinbones.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago

I don't normally cry, but now the hole in my chest feels a little less ragged. Thank you.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago

A fine story. Thank you.

joeyjaxjoeyjaxabout 3 years ago

I can't say anything more than what's already been said, so I won't bother trying. All I'll say is well done, Rollinbones. Well done!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago

I absolutely love this story.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago

Thank you for writing something that captured my imagination and a wonderful afternoon.

BoldVultureBoldVultureabout 3 years ago

I enjoyed this story very much. It reminded me of a favorite song. Same general premise, but, as songs must be, a shorter, and less resolved story. Those more prone to sentiment should bring half a box of tissues to a listening. Those who can effect a more manly stoicism might get by with a folded paper towel. Search "randall williams i will come for you".

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago

Incredible story.

Thanks for sharing.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago

Really liked this story.

Solesurvivor1969

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago

What a fantastic and lovely story. Definitely a 5 star ✨🌟✨🌟✨🌟✨🌟✨🌟. Actually I am giving you more than five star. Thank you so much for your lovely story 😌❤️😌❤️😌❤️😌❤️😌❤️.

Ali Singapore

MightyheartMightyheartabout 3 years ago

Just too good.

Film material

Great writing.

burningloveburningloveabout 3 years ago

Profound! - So sweet and so sad! Family matters most! ***** stars!

Burninglove

AmurdildoAmurdildoabout 3 years ago

This is a wonderful story and I loved it. *****. As an old man who had parents and aunts uncles of his age who were in WWII it was very close to my heart. They were truly “the greatest generation”.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago

It is very hard to find really good stories here. This one is great!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago

Fantastic!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago

Impressive writing, heartwarming story. Yes, deserves to be the basis of a movie. More please!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago

What a wonderful and well told story!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago

Oh wow, tears here, beautiful

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago

What a wonderful, well written love story. Thanks.

tentaclesforalltentaclesforallabout 3 years ago

My wife survived breast cancer, so some of the subject matter here hit very close to the heart for me.

The other comment is that unlike many of your fellow writers, you actually spent the time on finishing the story and tying off the last few knots.

All in all, it's a story that deserves the rating it has, if not better.

This story touched me, and I'm definitely going to be checking out some of the other stories you've published here.

pepepilotpepepilotalmost 3 years ago

It has been some time since I originally read this story. For some reason, I think it is even better with the second reading. Dream small and enjoy each and every victory!

ewill86ewill86almost 3 years ago

A wonderful story; a remarkable example of craftsmanship as an author, and fidelity to the innate joy that life can be. The recording of a conversation with a granddaughter is one of the most clever literary devices that can be imagined. And then renewal, more years of a wonderful family's life, another marriage, life going on, even as lives pass away. Indeed, "dream small", but never petty! At 83, I have just read this story for the second time. It remains a wonderful description of dreaming small, loving and assisting in small victories, and accepting small wonders. Thank you indeed, Rollinbones!!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

This is my fourth reading still I find it so much full filling. I really like to congratulate you for the wonderful and beautiful lovely story. Definitely a 5 star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 rating

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userRollinbones@Rollinbones
Amateur word-smith. Proffesional procrastinator. Busy with a few on the go. Please be patient. I work full time and fiddle here when i get a few quiet moments to myself. Thankyou for enjoying my mutterings.

story TAGS

SIMILAR Stories