All Comments on 'Funny You Should Ask'

by FrancisMacomber

Sort by:
  • 222 Comments
oldpantythiefoldpantythief11 days ago

Oh sh*t, that's gotta suck. Good story though and a nice twist at the end. Four stars and thanks.

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

Just read some of the comments, so funny.

She came back and from the words of her lover, it was all over. She chose her husband. So fragile male ego could get all twisted on 'oh no, my possession has sullied itself', or he could grow a pair and be a man and understand that she chose him. In life that's really all that matters.

Sadly little boys and their toys mentality rarely grow out of the dynamic of caring about superficial irrelevancies and can never see the wood for the trees.

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

How asinine.

Not very good investigators if they didn't manage to catch that the field agents husband was a college buddy of one of the suspects.

The MC had no place on the trading floor, he was definitely prey rather than predictor and behaved like no other such trader, ever.

The internal systems should have been able to check on trades etc., and it would have been obvious, no need for an investigator to go undercover like that if it were an internal investigation. However, the company themselves wouldn't gaf if it wasn't blatantly obvious, definitely wouldn't bring in the law and cause damage to their own reputation when a good talking too and letting go would work so much better.

It's the SEC and other regulators that would care, but they'd go in mob handed, take files and use forensic analysis to work it out.

Really, stupid and unlikely story... and I'm at a real loss to understand how she got into a position to actually know which one of them was guilty. Seems like it was all just a ploy designed to construct a scenario where a college buddy ends up unknowingly banging his mates wife.

Oh, and they were such good buddies that he hadn't even been invited to the wedding, had never even met the wife, even though they lived within easy driving dustance. Not even close enough of a friendship for the friend to whip out his phone/a photo to show his 'mate' his wife. Really? What sort of clown would then crybaby his secrets to such a distant acquaintance??? Maybe that's why he's so unlucky in love, because he's a complete loser.

sbrooks103xsbrooks103x5 months ago

I haven't re-read this yet, was going through the comments, was surprised to see an older comment by me endorsing at least the possibility of RAAC, as I don't believe in RAACs, which by their very nature are undeserved.

AnonymousAnonymous5 months ago

Good story. The only thing that could have made it better is if the wife also knew she was caught up like everyone else including the readers. The last line should have been: "Funny you should ask, Carla."

AnonymousAnonymous5 months ago

Good story. But to all those who think the husband should just let it pass: Why do you think this was the first time? This has been her job for some time. Sure she is burned out. But what if this has occurred before? Also regardless of the one night stand, she had an emotional affair as well. That is if anything more devastating. She developed real feelings for Jack in a short time, while still going back to her husband. That is an affair. Maybe they make it. We don't know enough of what each is thinking. Author left it intentionally open. Good twist but not enough aftermath to know what will happen. As the reader we can each draw our own conclusions. For me personally, if it is one time sex that is tough but forgivable. She is undercover in a stressful situation. But the emotional part and her wearing the Celtic knot openly to remember Jack and their time together, that is a big problem. Not sure how counseling will readily fix trust issues and her lies by omission. He rjob is obviously bad for her and their marriage. Dunno.

AnonymousAnonymous5 months ago

Shit happens. Let it go as people acting as

people do. Doesn’t have to be the end of the

world nor the end of the marriage.

John Updike put it quite well “you can't trust anyone

not to fuck, that’s what people do.” There was no malice

or promiscuity in what she did and her having a one night

stand would not have hurt her husband had he not met his

old friend.

No one would wear a gift from a lover back home. This was

an unrealistic twist.

Karl_HundassonKarl_Hundasson5 months ago

Didn't see that coming until near the end. 5*

tsgtcapttsgtcapt5 months ago

Great storyline, great flow, definitely needs a second chapter... thank you.

AnonymousAnonymous6 months ago

that was twisted and very good at the same time .

AnonymousAnonymous8 months ago

would be great if your stories had endings that revealed more of what happens with the characters....they are great up until the endings you use which leave too much curiousity as to what really happened and what the cheaters feel and experience

AnonymousAnonymous9 months ago

Somebody needs to write a sequel that shameless woman needs to pay for her actions.

NudeInMaineNudeInMaine9 months ago

Is Frank the same as Hank? Good story. Needs a part 2.

ImNotanAnonImNotanAnon10 months ago

1 star for leaving it like that.

AnonymousAnonymous11 months ago

Is it Hank or Frank?

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Yes, I think many of your readers saw that coming way before it arrived. Still, well written.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Creative. Makes you wonder what people who go undercover must deal with temptation. Would love to see a sequel. But it is clear he needs to confront her. Not saying reconciliation is not possible. Heck maybe even probable depending on thr husband. He has inside knowledge into what she has been thinking and can work to address things that led her astray. This wa clearly a complex set of factors. She needs therapy snd they need counseling. Even then maybe marriage doesn't survive. But NOT confronting just makes it so much worse especially if kids enter the picture. Still would be interesting to read a sequel.

Hiker66BikerHiker66Bikerover 1 year ago

Creative plot. 5 stars.

FoldingFoldingover 1 year ago

Thought provoking story. This has 2 sequels, dependent upon the actions of the husband. He has a choice here and very short window in which to make it. A few seconds at most. Will his wife be Carla or Bella?

If this is to be a simple BTB ending then confront her. Demand that she live up to her "Obligations." Whine about his hurt and his expectations. This will ensure she returns to Jack. She'll be Carla.

If he wants her he needs to keep quiet about his friend's misfortune, seduce and woo his wife. He did it at least once...do it better the second time. Hard to accept but he's been given quite a gift, a window into his wife's emotions. It sounds like Jack introduced her to new physical feelings. Shame on the husband. He needs to meet and hopefully exceed the bar his friend has set. Then, if he's successful either gently wonder if it isn't time for her to replace the necklace...or buy a better one and ask if he's earned the right to replace it. She'll understand that he knows and has decided he can't live without her.

Oh. If Carla / Bella doesn't know what a Clannad ring is she's the only one who doesn't. Her friends, associates will see it and know it's from her lover. Know that it symbolizes ownership. Some will ask if it's from her husband and react when she admits that it's not.

SeaChangerSeaChangerover 1 year ago

Best writer ... every story 5* so far

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

I'm not sure why so many people were surprised by the "twist" ending. Between the category and the tags, it was pretty obvious pretty early in the story where it was going. Still, it could have been a decent story if the "author" had actually finished writing it.

Just_WordsJust_Wordsover 1 year ago

Still a 5***** story!

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Work gets in the way of relationships all the time - temptation! Happened to my wife - 2 day event - broke my heart - still breaks my heart every day 39 years later - married 46 years now! Guess I made the wrong choice, life is not fun.

SarahwithloveSarahwithloveover 1 year ago

Hey that was really a fun story, unless you happen to be Jack or Hank. Or the nameless husband. I liked where it ended. It leaves the reader a bit unsettled, similar in a way, to the characters in the story. Ending a story in this way, is nourishment for the mind. Embrace it folks.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Do you think it's lever to not finish the story? 1

LickideesplitLickideesplitalmost 2 years ago

Next options.

“It was very informative, Sweetie! How about we invite him over for dinner tomorrow night?”.

or

“I really want you to forget about him and let’s start planning our future relationship and family!”

Of course, leaving an ambiguous ending on a story like this is also great for internal debate in case one of We-the-Readers’ hits a dilemma like this.

LickideesplitLickideesplitalmost 2 years ago

Some other commenter(s) has/have already thought of this, but one word woulda FTDS.

“Funny you should ask, Carla!”

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Ftds

NitpicNitpicalmost 2 years ago
Dwell

Well,what happened to the marriage,did he divorce Bella?.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Nice surprise ending, Well done

Buster2UBuster2Ualmost 2 years ago

What a great story, 5 stars to writer. What a surprise twist at the end. Didn't see that coming at all. I don't think she was bad or a whore. She was just a determined professional who was sympathetic for one of the men she was investigating. Had she not been such a wise and talented in investigater she may not have been able to close her case.

e5jerseye5jerseyalmost 2 years ago

😲 what a great story!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

Now that ending came swinging in from left-field. Neat twist.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Didn’t see that one coming! That’s a great twist. One question, was the bad guy Hank or Frank? I got confused. I guess that’s not an unusual case for me tho. Five stars, no doubt.

SunnyU2SunnyU2over 2 years ago

Might be my favorite story on here

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Very Nice. I kind of expected some kind of twist at the end, but it certainly wasn’t THAT twist. I just did not see that one coming. Good one, FM.

JohnAmalfi4104JohnAmalfi4104over 2 years ago

Oh wow. What a story! Love the ambiguous ending. 5 stars.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

Holy crap!

I had to reread the last part. What a unique way to end the story. Great job, thanks KS

MountainMan1336MountainMan1336almost 3 years ago

I loved it, so I gave it 5 stars. The only problem is I can't stop laughing about the ending.

ErotFanErotFanalmost 3 years ago

I hope they can work it out!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago

She came back. Wanted nothing to do with her old job realizing its going to cost her everything. If he had accepted her at face value and her desire to throw herself body and soul back into their marriage then you could have ended it there. But it seems he isnt too keen so we all want to see how she tries to explain things and if her arguements to win him back succeed. The Celtic knot was going to be juicy!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago

I only rate it as entertainment. I am not an editor and see it as very entertaining so to me it is a 5

26thNC26thNCabout 3 years ago
Again

That's a coincidence that I could live without.

MarkT63MarkT63about 3 years ago

Great lead up. Too bad you left out the brutal revenge...

LoejtcLoejtcover 3 years ago

This guy could write. What a creative mind. There is hardly ever a LW cliche' in his stories. I think his body of work taken together is superior to any LW writer before or since.

I believe he passed away. But his stories have left a legacy that will be hard to surpass.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Interesting

Good story 5 stars. I would have liked to know how it all played out. QuietCritic AKA CC

OlFrog14xOlFrog14xover 3 years ago
Had she put the rings back on?

That her husband gave her. Pretty dumb to walk in wearing a visible gift from her lover.

Jack might really lucky or physically damaged, depending in "Honey's" response

johsunjohsunover 3 years ago

Great twist at the end, I didn't suspect it all.

helix247helix247over 3 years ago

The clever twist at the end may be the best of all time.

Perfectly crafted story!

Rancher46Rancher46over 3 years ago

Great story, but needs a conclusion. It would interesting if the former college roommates meet up with Carla/Bella in tow. 5 stars

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
Agree. Great story just wish she was painfully punished

And other adulterer?

Just_WordsJust_Wordsabout 4 years ago
Damn, that was good!

The interior story was excellent and the ending, which I confess I saw coming once she entered the house, was terrific. That's a 5***** story!

26thNC26thNCover 4 years ago
Didn't see

Didn't see that coming. Great little story that calls for a sequel. That was tough.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Talk about a kick in the teeth !!

Not sure who's teeth are being kicked. Wow, what a great story. Author, thank you.

Grimjack01Grimjack01over 4 years ago
Oh nice

I liked the end, sad but really good. You really need to finish it.

BuzzCzarBuzzCzarover 4 years ago
Excellent

Beautifully written story. Somewhat foreshadowing the ending, but no matter, it's a really good one.

King_WillieKing_Willieover 4 years ago
I did KNOT see that coming

This was brilliant, I loved every bit of it.

So masterfully crafted, the way the story just moved at just the right pace, every word crucial to the plot.

tazz317tazz317over 4 years ago
A CO=INCEDENCE

or Celtic karma. TK U MLJ LV NV

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Goodbye

That's all she wrote!

jtwheelsjtwheelsover 4 years ago
Wow hoisted on own necklace

No possible reconciliation after she keeps wearing necklace

What gut punch right to gonads and then twisted

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 5 years ago
Gut punch

Rarely do you find a story as involved and as interesting as this one and it's just the beginning of a story. The story is just about a sucker punch to the guy, it ends as the breath is leaving him. It's a story that is left to the imagiation of the reader, it's like a paint by number kit, leaving you to fill in between the lines. It was masterfully done, a grand piece. But i am greedy and lazy, i wanted more. Damn good sucker punch.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 5 years ago
Why Bother?

They have no kids. There is no reason for them to stay together. She strung up trust and let the trap door drop. Wearing that keepsake from her lover, fingering it in front of him, no point in continuing. Really well written tragic story.

someoneothersomeoneotherabout 5 years ago
Necklace was the killer

If Carla/Bella had returned the necklace to Jack when they departed, the story could still potentially have gone the reconciliation route, even if unlikely given that she so willingly slept with Jack. But, wearing the necklace when she returned home and fingering it while talking to her husband is a killer -- she should not be married to the poor sucker while wearing another man's love token .

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
This just begs for more

I too would like to see more, however I don’t think it is likely to happen. I’d like to se different takes ranging from btb to reconciliation and every thing in between. But, such is life. This is an amazing piece of work! Bravo!

Pappy7Pappy7about 5 years ago
Too bad she gave up on her marriage.

Did she not think that all of her long hours and devotion to work wouldn't cause a problem in her marriage? So instead of holding it together she auditions another man for the husband's job? Not much integrity involved in her thinking. Like someone commented, how many other suspects has she "investigated" in her work? Problem with undercover jobs is that sometimes you become what you are playing and evidently she was playing an untrustworthy slut. Don't know what hubby is going to do, it doesn't matter. But I think he is about to rock her world and not like she thought. I would also out her to her employers for the way she acted on that particular job. Good job of writing, of course. I gave you a low number the first time I read this but I must have hit the wrong button because this is an excellent story.

notredame43notredame43over 5 years ago
ouch

good story id like to see a part 2 of some sort to see where it could end up

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Are There Others?

As devastating as Jack feels after learning that Carla/Bella spent the previous evening happily screwing his old friend he must also be wondering how many other “suspects” she investigated in a bed. I’d recommend he notice her new necklace and ask her who gave it to her and when. If she shows any remorse there might be hope but if she lies he can contact a lawyer because he will never trust her again.

OPrimeOPrimeover 5 years ago
Ouch!

That had to hurt. Good job Francis.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
I would LOVE to read a chapter 2

But I don’t expect the author to continue this story. It’s very well written. Excellent play of emotions and drama. And it leaves the reader wanting more. Great story. Does anyone know if there’s a chapter 2 by any other authors? Would you, FrancisMacomber, allow another author to continue this story? Is there anything that we readers can discuss to get you to write more?

Thank you

LickideesplitLickideesplitover 5 years ago
No Ch2 needed

Sorry. Generally, I would feel that this LW story really starts here. The effect the ‘adventurous wife’ actions have on the marital relationship is, IMHO, the crux of the LW category. In THIS case, however, the continuation of this account is too obvious to need any further elaboration. Hubby is devastated and angry and Sweetie needs to call then go back to her New Bull ASAP, ‘cause she has NO future with Hubby!

5*

TiredXTiredXalmost 6 years ago
Moral to the story....

Always listen when someone tries to warn you about themselves.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 6 years ago
Need more!

Somebody needs to finish this story, please! I’ve got a number of potential outcomes in mind but sadly I am not a writer at all. Surely one of you brilliant folks can spin some great endings to this.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
I GOT A NASTY SHOCK LIKE THAT, YEARS AGO.

Definitely a five star story.

I met a beautiful, luscious and sultry woman when we were both in our mid twenties. She told me that she was 'seeing' someone but wanted to spend time with me so she had to be careful. We were fucking each other's socks off at least three times a week, sometimes twice that, for almost a year until I went to a new years party and saw a firefighter friend of mine that I'd been in the Army with. Guess who he pointed across the room to as his WIFE. He told me that they'd been married for four years. I tried to get the hell out of there before she saw me but he called out to her to come over. She was about halfway when she saw me and stopped in her tracks with a frozen look of fear on her face.

Needless to say, Joe saw her reaction and the shocked and stunned look on my face and started asking her rapid fire questions. She didn't answer... just stood there looking like a shattered glass that hadn't yet fallen to pieces... let out a loud, agonized cry... started crying and ran out the door.

It became a New Years Eve party that everyone in attendance remembers.

Joe was my friend. Once the initial clubbed in the head, stabbed in the heart and punched in the gut feelings started to let up, I told him the truth... first off that I had no idea that she was married and then gave him the details that he had a right to know... when it started and how often. That she'd told me that she was 'seeing someone' that she never talked about and that's all I ever knew.

He was so proud of having her as his wife until she saw me and her reaction revealed her treachery. What an incredible piece of ass she was... and I loved her, too. I wasn't married to her but I felt the same sense of betrayal that Joe did.

The above story had a necklace as the 'giveaway'... the 'tell'... but Joe and I had a sudden and totally unexpected 'face to face' encounter with our disaster.

MightyHornyMightyHornyover 6 years ago
Saw it coming from the get-go. BUT...

... I was wondering how the writer would managed to bring it all together, and make the whole thing stick.

Well he did. He sure did.

Feel real bad for both fellows, stuck falling for a unworthy woman. I'm really against a sequel to this story, though - it couldn't possibly do justice to the original tale.

Sad, yet still enjoyable. Good job, author.

FantasyTrainFantasyTrainover 6 years ago
!!

Need another chapter here!

silentsoundsilentsoundover 6 years ago
WOW!

Don't know how I missed this one!

5* and would love to see this play out.

DadforfiveDadforfiveover 6 years ago
Talk about a plot twist

Did not see that one coming. 5 stars. As for the ending, it was perfect.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Definitely divorce her

Deliberately cheating? Yes, divorce is the only reasonable way forward.

CheshireladCheshireladover 6 years ago
great story

What a bitch. She comes home fresh from her lovers bed to tell hubby she's going to quit her job, have babies and expect him to financially support her for the next 10 years or so. His reward, poor quality sex since she doesn't have much passion or feelings for him; not like she has for lover Jack.

Wonder if she gave him Jacks sloppy seconds the night before.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
Liked it

And I would have given it a decent rating if it would have been finished.

tazz317tazz317almost 7 years ago
#2 AND PEOPLE DONT BELIEVE IN COINCINDENSES

wait until the next reunion, TK U MLJ LV NV

boatbummboatbummalmost 7 years ago
O'Henry Lives!

Nice 'gotcha' to wrap it up. Thanks!

betrayedbylovebetrayedbylovealmost 7 years ago
Nice

Read it again. Appreciate it more. Dump the cunt.

Oh Yeah

laptopwriterlaptopwriterover 7 years ago
A true literary master...

I love this man's work. I wish he hadn't abandoned us.

Oldfart72Oldfart72over 7 years ago
Not done

This could be a five if it was finished properly

hjethjetover 7 years ago
???

This is left unfinished!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
love your work

But agree this one is unfinished

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
1*

unfinished. and likely to remain so after 3 years.

dissmissdissmissalmost 8 years ago
this was so good.

Looking back over this story, I'm really surprised at how simple it is and yet how engrossing also.

Two old friends chatting over a bad day ...... was quickly forgotten as I wondered about the rivalry between the 'office casanova' and the 'good guy'.

Only at the mention of Bella did I suddenly twig.

Brilliant short story ..... another easy 5*

AnonymousAnonymousabout 8 years ago

I agree with Carvohi's comments with one exception. I thought that Jack had reformed himself from the womanizer of old and was trying to a better person. I thought it was karmic justice that he couldn't get the woman of his dreams, but at the same time I can see him now as a different man than his was before.

I would really like to see the author invite others to write a 2nd chapter and give readers a time table to vote a best sequel award. Or even female writers to write about Bella's POV. I think a woman writing that chapter would be really interesting. But regardless, this is an excellent story, full of very emotional drama and tragedy.

Thank you Francis

BuzzCzarBuzzCzarabout 8 years ago
Beauty

Beautifully done

carvohicarvohiabout 8 years ago
I read this...

when it was new I immediately fived it, but didn't comment. Like Karen I never saw it coming either. Reading the comments 'Betrayed by Love' keeps getting angrier and angrier. Go back and check.

Yeah, I'm afraid divorce is in order, but I know it would hurt terribly. His pal, the womanizer, ruined his marriage, but his wife sure didn't put up much of a fight did she? Our protagonist loses all the way around, an old friend and the woman he truly loved. I really feel for the guy; everything just collapsed.

This was and remains one of my favorite MacCombers. It was kind of a 'what could have been'. Almost there, wife ready to settle down, and then the damn necklace. So sad.

Jedd Clampett

AnonymousAnonymousabout 8 years ago

Excellent flash story. The sex was hot, and I loved the twist. You didn't get the curve by me, but I only picked up the spin on the ball in time to foul it off.

rightbankrightbankabout 8 years ago
as Gomer Pyle used to say

Surprise, Surprise, Surprise!

graymangazergraymangazerover 8 years ago
Liked it.

At first I thought "here we go again, he's going to take his unhappy friend home only to be cuckolded," but you surprised me.

Extremely well written but quite sad. If it had been just about sex? Well that's one thing, it's quite another when she clearly had and still has feelings for Jack, hence why she keeps wearing the knot, even while with her husband.

Whether they can work through it, who knows? But I think you stopped at the right place. Bella was guilty on so many levels while both men were completely innocent. To continue could turn it into just another slut wife / wimp cuckold / vindictive spouse story. Plus it's nice to be given the chance to use our own imaginations.

Thanks :))

Freddog6601Freddog6601over 8 years ago
Very nice

Delightful quick read.

Drbeamer3333Drbeamer3333over 8 years ago
Second time through...

A great flash tale. Five stars.

SlipperySaddleBumSlipperySaddleBumover 8 years ago
First Rate.

Very well done.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
OK

ya got me ... I did not see it coming

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous