All Comments on 'Funny You Should Ask'

by FrancisMacomber

Sort by:
  • 221 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousabout 11 years ago
Clever

Clever, wry, well-written, but I found it unsatisfying since it is more of a lead-in to a story rather than a complete story.

Mousse9Mousse9about 11 years ago
What are the odds?

Man, I was feeling all sorry for Jack, and then comes the ending!

Argh, I want to know what happened next! You can't leave it at that! @_@

LordSlamdawggLordSlamdawggabout 11 years ago
I've been tricked, decieved & hornswaggled yet again by this author !

Well the Chicago Cubs fan refrain goes " wait till the next year " ...err story. Ok- so the wife's a cheater, but just once. She is repentant & terminated said affair before she knew she was outed. In addition, Carla err Bella wants to leave the work environment that led to her carnal lapse. To forgive or incinerate, that is the question.

There's a sick but fascinating, twisted tale to be written there. PAGEING Dr. Slirpuff ...DQS ?

Scotsman69Scotsman69about 11 years ago
A delight.

Thank you.

JusttooldJusttooldabout 11 years ago
good

Neat twist at the end. Just the thought of it could tie a guy up in KNOTS. Keep up the good works.

dinkymacdinkymacabout 11 years ago
Nice read!!

Thanks for sharing.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 11 years ago
Quite a twist

Farkin brilliant !!

looking4itlooking4itabout 11 years ago

I saw that coming from the opening line. Unfortunate thing for him is that if he kicks her to he curb, and he should, she already has someone new to go to. Probably should have stopped at the lawyers on the way home. Why didn't she wear her rings? Why would one need to be "available" in order to investigate fraud?

WanderingaimlesslyWanderingaimlesslyabout 11 years ago
You have a twisted mind, I love it and hate it.

I have to wonder if you were in the special forces because the twist at the end was placed with the precision of a sniper. The question is was it a head shot or in the gut? And what's worse you left it up to the reader to decide, so I'm setting here holding my head and my gut thinking what a horrid person you are and I cant wait for you next story.

Thank you

AnonymousAnonymousabout 11 years ago
Run away! Fast as you can!

This bitch won't stay true to any man.

m48gunnerm48gunnerabout 11 years ago
Rest of the Story

I'd really like to see you develop this the rest of the way.....Is it possible for the marriage to continue on, or should it? I would like some closure to this tale of deceit (on her part). Do they reconcile, do they split, does she go to Jack?

HarddaysknightHarddaysknightabout 11 years ago
This was pretty much revealed in the first paragraph.

The set up was too quick and too obvious. If you had slowly dropped hints, it would have worked better. Meeting a buddy that was a pussy hound that moved back into town and never met the wife was all it took when it was delivered in a sentence or two. Nicely written, but a bit obvious.

imhaplessimhaplessabout 11 years ago
Cute, original

I really liked it. Worth a 5.

mr_ed_saysmr_ed_saysabout 11 years ago
Not really so funny after all

I like short stories with surprise endings, particularly when it is done in a different way than the run of the mill ones. I did feel a little like it was going to end badly for the narrator when it was in LW but neither Jack or Carla were married. You played the surprise well except for that which is somewhat unavoidable. Good title too.

I think it is a complete story. I would not mind a sequel, but it is not needed. You did what a good short story does, offer an slice of life in a fresh and interesting way.

It would be another interesting story if Carla / Bella told it from her side, since it is clear that she had already figured out that the double life of her second life as an undercover investigator has made a mess of her first real life. She has already recognized the irony of her own advise, that she is not as she seems and can't be trusted.

Like another person says in the comments, being undercover didn't require her to pretend to be unmarried unless she felt like using her charms was okay to get the results. Was that her own decision, or forced on her by her handlers? The decision to play the single female card hurts her credibility to say the affair was a momentary error. But most damning was still wearing the knot. When telling Jack to move on, she could have given the gift back to him before she went home to try to rekindle her own life. Her husband would have still known, but it would have been a "little bit" better. Still wearing it at the end, in front of her husband, makes the affair even worst.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 11 years ago
Cool and refreshing

A different look at cheating. Good job.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 11 years ago
I liked it.

A sad tale but well written.

Kind of an Ooops situation.

art1972art1972about 11 years ago
Well done

Well written tale, would have added one more word to then end. Funny you should ask, Carla.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 11 years ago
Dont let it end here!

The story is great but the hanging ending is driving me crazy!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 11 years ago
Married how long?

And he folds his arms and scowls in understanding. This trick ending is a sloppy knot, celtic or other. Private security agent indeed doing Fed work. Spy craft galore. And the husband having no idea what type of work the wife did. No previous cases ever discussed. She could have been a kindergarten teacher for all he knew.

spud65spud65about 11 years ago
Blindsided

Wasn't expecting that ending till she confessed she was married then the 'I'll bet she his wife' thought came to mind. Interesting story but I'm not a fan of open ended stories. I need the closure dammit!!!!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 11 years ago
Sure, it's a twist, but it's an obvious twist

Harddaysknight pretty much wrote what I was planning to post. The title itself is a dead giveaway.

BDEarthBDEarthabout 11 years ago
Excellent

Well done Francis; I was thinking that's where you were going and you did it well.

angiquesophieangiquesophieabout 11 years ago
lovely, thank you

very neat story

AnonymousAnonymousabout 11 years ago
unsatisfied

gave it 5* but still feel unsatisfied. One comment said it all "...., Carla". Now I will continue to wonder "what if ...".

DmitryDmitryabout 11 years ago
NO WAY!!!!

BLINDSIDED IS AN UNDERSTATEMENT. Thank you for an incredible story on all levels.

cantbuymycantbuymyabout 11 years ago

Loved the story saw it coming but still a good read

AnonymousAnonymousabout 11 years ago
Great story....

Did not see it coming.....nice surprise.

karan9876karan9876about 11 years ago
Excellent.

Excellent. Gave it 5 stars that says it all.

However, there can be a part two in this as this can be continued.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 11 years ago
unsatisfied

Can't rate it high. Nice writing but this kind of ending is just too "cute". I feel the author has an obligation to the audience to end a story better.

juanwildonejuanwildoneabout 11 years ago
Well, since you did...

...that is how a great erotic tale is told. XLNT!

Seriously.

Good job - well done.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 11 years ago

I hate stories with no ending so I won't rate this one. I know some people are ok with it, but I'd venture a guess and say you just really pissed off a big chunk of readers. This is a JPB type story and he turned off all comments if that tells you anything!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 11 years ago
IF you were FOOLED by this ...

then you are probably a Moron. That being said this was VERY good and one of this author's best if not his Best story ever.

But as HDK said this was well telegraphed

AnonymousAnonymousabout 11 years ago

Saw it coming a mile off, even if it was sneaking in cotton-padded slippers whilst wearing an invisibility cloak...

JennyBearJennyBearabout 11 years ago
Well Done!

Since we are left to draw our own conclusion. I choose to not make it a deal breaker.

NYredNYredabout 11 years ago
More?

This one is begging for a part 2 !!!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 11 years ago
Great Story

Thanks and please keep on writing.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 11 years ago
4 stars

Could have been 5, if it had continued a little longer. I always enjoy confrontations in cheating wife stories.

BTTapBTTapabout 11 years ago
clever

And well executed short story. 5 stars. The old college buddy was a sap. Honestly, if my pal started telling me a detailed play by play of his fucking, I'd have stopped him right there.

rjordanrjordanabout 11 years ago
Outstanding storytelling

OK, I have to admit that I knew as soon as he said "Her names is Carla," that Jack was screwing the narrator's wife. But even being certain of that, the story was engrossing. I wanted to see how it could have happened. Too short for one of your stories, but well told and long enough to do that well.

oscar73oscar73about 11 years ago
great cliffhanger

come on don't leave us hanging. give us a sequel to find out how it went. great story

AnonymousAnonymousabout 11 years ago
nice story telling

unfortunatelly you put this in the wrong category. it's either non-erotic or with really black humor it's Adult Humor & Satire. you ask why ? she is just another whore who can't keep her legs closed. so when ever she does some under cover she might bring home HIV disease, Hepatitis, chlamydia or another std.

so where is your loving pal ?

you don't know what's erotic ? maybe you should write some other place then.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 11 years ago
I was shocked at the ending

Anothr great job of craftmanship. It's difficult to turn out an "O. Henry," like you consistently do. One of my favorite authors.

x_witless_xx_witless_xabout 11 years ago
Class. Loved it.

Great storytelling, the way you peeled the layers away in the final quarter. 5*

njlaurennjlaurenabout 11 years ago
A great tale

As usual,and more than realistic.Bella isn't a slut,working undercover like that forces people to lead a false life,and stuff like this happens. She ended up breaking it with jack,but what happens now? I would like to see how frances ends this, if hubby sees that the work could be partly to blame...or was there more to this? On the other hand this can stand as an O Henry special.Dumping on the wife misses the point...

AnonymousAnonymousabout 11 years ago
End?

Needs ending

Drbeamer3333Drbeamer3333about 11 years ago
Loved it

As a flash story, it needs no ending. The reader can surmise that this marriage is headed for trouble. Of course, the only reason to write more would be to describe some unforeseen outcome. Perhaps he decides to not let on that he knows, understanding that his wife willingly chose her husband over the one night stand. That certainly would not be an easy decision, and it would make for an interesting sequel. Wonderful tale.

SparksWillFlySparksWillFlyabout 11 years ago
Good Stuff

You write well and with excellent use of the language. The story turned the sequence of the typical cheating story around and left the consequences to the reader's imagination. Original and entertaining. What more could the reader ask. Five stars.

woodmanonewoodmanoneabout 11 years ago
Nicely Done

It was obvious where the story was going, but it was fun to take the trip.

Nicely done. Thanks for your hard work

Woodmanone

chytownchytownabout 11 years ago
Good Read***

Thanks for sharing.

betrayedbylovebetrayedbyloveabout 11 years ago
Great Tale

I doesn't need an ending. Just a divorce. Great read.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 11 years ago
Anon

Really good story, I'm so glad you didn't make this mistake of trying to turn it into several chapters and develop it into something it isn't.

AcedorRiseAcedorRiseabout 11 years ago
A short and neat story

A very good story but considering his other stories this is not his best.an epilogue would be nice.though it is not clear as to how the husband deducted his wife's affair from Jack's story the author could have explained it.

AcedorRiseAcedorRiseabout 11 years ago
A short and neat story

A very good story but considering his other stories this is not his best.an epilogue would be nice.though it is not clear as to how the husband deducted his wife's affair from Jack's story the author could have explained it.

likeboblikebobabout 11 years ago

Nice story, thanks for posting. It is a bit predictable though.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 11 years ago
Predictable and trite

Anyone who thinks this was a sudden, O'Henry ending showing skill has the IQ of a cocker spaniel. The set up was long and there was no resolution. If the writer was half as clever as he thinks he is, the story could have been pretty good. Also, the lack of an ending is predictable for an author that is all sizzle and no steak. Endings are hard. Resolution is difficult and human experience must be plausible shown. Here, you come up with a trite little plot twist and think you are clever. Lame.

PrideInsightPrideInsightabout 11 years ago
REFRESHINGLY IRONIC.....

.....loved this one non of all treacherous scheming and malicious plotting... innocence, hurt, remorse......

....true she hurt two men....lied to both of them....but can feel her remorse and I can just picture her devastation after....

....voice filled with bitterness and despair, I said,"Funny you should ask.".........considering the words she said to Jack..."--more importantly--trust."...added to his first hand knowledge she can cheat on a husband she loves...

AnonymousAnonymousabout 11 years ago
Ouch

Shes a powerful woman. She destroyed two guys at the same time.

SalamisSalamisabout 11 years ago
A short story with heart

Where will this couple go from this point on in their marriage? I don't know for sure but I'm OK with an ending that fit this short tale all too well. Thanks for yet another well written and enjoyable story.

cpetecpeteabout 11 years ago
U ROCK!

Great tale!

brujaybrujayabout 11 years ago
Fantastic!

Didn't see that ending coming. Beyond a doubt this is a great read.

Thank you for writing and sharing your stories.

bruce22bruce22about 11 years ago
Excellent and entertaining

All the possible resolutions are equally valid and each will see something about their personality if they trouble themselves to fantasize a bit. To me it would be obvious that he should invite his old buddy over for dinner and not touch her ever again....

I have to admit that I liked HDK's ending and that the presence of the Celtic knot tied it up for me!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 11 years ago
Great one, but unfinished

He should ask:"Funny you should ask, Carla!" haha...

cheers,

Paul in Rio.

DunaDunaabout 11 years ago
Good

Excellent, but the more parts?

AnonymousAnonymousabout 11 years ago
I like it

Leave it as it is. not finishing it reminds me of another writer, though.

maninconnmaninconnabout 11 years ago
Nice twist

Thanks again for writing. I really enjoy your stuff.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 11 years ago
Nicely done

Another fine piece - I always look forward to reading your submissions.

Rgds

Sean Mc

AnonymousAnonymousabout 11 years ago
always a good read

but you can't just end it like that, you need a follow up story.

Johnny1MJohnny1Malmost 11 years ago
I prefer stories that have a conclusion.

The only one that I really liked that didn't was fd45's Enabling.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 11 years ago
please please

Mr. FrancisMacomber!! Please,Please, do finish this story. You are one of the best writer in this site and Paparazzi and Breakfast at Manny's are my most fav stories. I know this is kinda lame and the story is good as it is...but still please provide us with some closure.

firas01firas01almost 11 years ago
I know

that this is the author's style or signature to leave his stories hanging, i know it bothers me but i never commented on it before because i know that it is not within my right to ask him to change, however, with this story, the question is too big, there is a man who is in love with her and waiting for her to come back, on the other hand, there is a husband who probably also loves her and knows that his wife has cheated and she did it not as a drunken mistake but deliberately and as a result of an emotional attachment, now, what will the husband do, the author is leaving us with the impression that he might confront her, but to what end, to take her back or to throw her away and maybe in the arms of her lover, what will she do, what will he do, and what will the lover do if he discovers that woman he fell in love with is his friend's wife and she cheated on him willingly, well FM, is there a chance in hell that you may write an epilogue for this one?

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 11 years ago
Oh come on!!!

..aaarg...this story is really tormenting, I have been unable to stop thinking about it and it was 4 days ago that I first read it, and I have been coming back again and again if the author wrote the some kind of epilogue. Its really unlike me. And this is my first comment after years of my LW experience. Mr. Francis, come on, you have some obligation to your dedicated readers too and so many have requested you to complete the story. -Victor

victor85victor85almost 11 years ago
WOW

Now, what will the husband do? Bella had an emotional affair, as well as physical affair. She still has her lover's necklace around her neck and it seems like she is still attached to Jack...which means she's not remorseful at all. Now she's showing some signs of effort for her marriage. What will any body do? How can husband trust her? The author has very ripe foundation for another chapter. Hopefully, there's happy ending.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 11 years ago
Finish it

You really need to finish this.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 11 years ago
Finish it

You really need to finish this story. Good up till here.

OneShotOneOneShotOnealmost 11 years ago
When I

Regained my senses I realized she wasn't breathing.

Just kidding great story. I mean O'Henry type ending.

cantbuymycantbuymyalmost 11 years ago

busted the slut. the fact that she had the knot and was wearing it answered the unasked question; she was full of shit and dreaming of another man. dont breed with this whore and she just compromised the investigation and prosecution.

"And isn't it true that you had an intimate sexual relationship with one of the suspects and that all of the evidence you discovered just happened to point to the man you were not having sex with? can you explain that for the jury? and what did your husband say about this fortitus event - the man you fucked is not the one you showed the prosecutor was the guilty person."

we the jury in the aforementioned matter, having a reasonable doubt as to the credibility of the evidence presented, find the defendant NOT GUILTY!

x-wife now has no job and no husband and no lover and one pissed off dude hot on her ass.

SELSTIMSELSTIMalmost 11 years ago
Finis?

It left me unfulfilled. Nothing really to get into.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 11 years ago
Unfulfilling

It was great up to the ending. Then as most LW writers do, they cannot or will not finish it.

I will leave it to the readers imagination.

Well dammit if I had an imagination I wouldn't be reading this.

So did they divorce? Did they reconcile, what the fuck happened?

Please finish.

fanfarefanfarealmost 11 years ago
No! No! NOOO!!!

No ending. No conclusion. No epilogue. No second chapter.

Torment your readers with having to imagineer their own preferred ending.

Because, to be honest, any possible conclusive ending you the author could have ended this with, would outrage a sizable percentage of your readers. Here are three suggested endings that will each appeal to a different part of your audience.

For all the Convicts in their cells who had butchered their own wives and families: Jack somehow found out Carla was Bella and the bro code demands he warns his college buddy that his wife is a cheating slut. Who proceeds to strangle Bella with that damn necklace.

For all the hopeless romantics pining for true love: Jack observes Bella purchasing the necklace. Jack lusts after Bella and wants to cause a breakup in the marriage between Bella and his good buddy. So Jack concocts this cockamamie story knowing his friend is functionally infantile and will react with a tantrum driving Bella into Jack's arms.

For all the anonymousies skulking in their mommie's basements: The college buddy is upset that Jack & Carla would not permit him the opportunity to be tied up on a chair in his bedroom. And forced to watch Jack fuck and bugger Bella/Carla. For a grand finale forcing him to eat Jack's creampie out of Bella/Carla's cunt and ass.

TavadelphinTavadelphinover 10 years ago
Yep - it was the ending we expected -

Unfortunately - she was the wrong woman for both of them -

Maybe she should be allowed to salvage the wreck she made of her marriage - probably not - she did come clean and make it clear she was going back to fix her life - BUT she never told her husband there was anything wrong with it - she sucks -

OverthefallsOverthefallsover 10 years ago
FAILURE TO FINISH!

A well written, interesting story right up to the NON ENDING! Maybe if enough readers complain to Lit we can force them to not allow authors to post unfinished stories. BAH!

cohibaIVcohibaIVover 10 years ago
Don't change a thing

As always, a great effort. Trying to add more would just spoil it. Too many writers on this site can't resist the urge to spell everything out, as though the readers won't understand. Thanks for giving us some credit.

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
Good story

But could be great. I would love to see another chapter.

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
Failed

To finish, so typical of LW writers. Shocked this writer did though.

TMSPTGR3TMSPTGR3over 10 years ago
Nicely Done

Very Hemingwayish Mr Macomber in the ending. Very classical. 5*

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
Why would anyone think this is unfinished?

I don't understand the comments that say this story isn't finished. Are people really that lacking in imagination? Do we really need every aspect of a story to be spelled out in excruciating detail? The rest would be boring and obvious, what would be the point of dragging this out? The twist has been revealed, the interesting part of the story is over, what more is everybody expecting here? Is it that you won't get the satisfaction of seeing the marriage crash and burn? I guess a well-written "Loving Wives" story that doesn't end with cartoon-level vengeance just isn't acceptable to you guys, right?

starmanfivestarmanfiveover 10 years ago
This is fantastic

I did not see that coming. Genius *****

betrayedbylovebetrayedbyloveover 10 years ago
Damn

Wouldn't you call that " going above and beyond the call of duty?" She is a cheating skank who deserves to be alone.

rick_ohrick_ohover 10 years ago
Outstanding

Nice surprise twist at the end. Didn't see that one coming.

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
2nd part

need 2nd part

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
evildoers...

Some readers will be absolutists and take the position that infidelity equals betrayal; end of story, burn the sinner at the stake. Here, though, you've presented us with a clear bad guy who DOES get what he deserves, and three sympathetic characters who end up with a situation where everybody seems to lose.Granted that the woman is the one of the trio who has the information which could have prevented the issue, but you've painted her as sympathetic as either of the men. It would be very interesting to see a sequel in which this gordian knot was somehow untangled and some sense of justice obtained - if that's even possible.

Again, sincere compliments on an unusually engaging and well crafted tale.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 10 years ago
Excellent START ....

but the story needs closure! What do you say FM???

AnonymousAnonymousabout 10 years ago

Three stars, because while an excellent idea, the story stops kind of abruptly. Yes we roughly know what happened and I was honestly surprised by the twist, but I would love to have been a fly on the wall in the upcoming discussion we didn't get or the direct aftermath.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 10 years ago
What a slut wife!

They will be apart later for sure! Burn the bitch now before too late!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 10 years ago
These are the stories

that need a continuation....Finish the dam story...form the husbands' point of view.... good Luck...bill

AnonymousAnonymousabout 10 years ago

This story was going to be one of the greats,, then it just stopped.

bumd11bumd11almost 10 years ago

What the hell needs to be finished? I thought it was just right -- it ended exactly where it should, with the plot's land mine going off. Not entirely unexpected at that point, but perfectly played. Thank you, FM!

KarenEKarenEalmost 10 years ago
More Would Be Nice, But...

First of all, maybe I'm dense, but I never saw that coming!

Second, I'm not against BTB, but I don't see it as being necessarily called for here, it isn't like she went out of her way to cheat, it happened organically out of the relationship she had to build to do her job.

Third, where it goes is fairly obvious. True, her husband COULD take her back, but since the story has us emotionally invested in Jack, the happy ending would be with her husband cutting her loose to go with Jack.

And she wasn't the heartless cunt she would have to be to deserve BTB.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous