All Comments on 'Gaming: D&D Pt. 06'

by AspernEssling

Sort by:
  • 16 Comments
TheBaneOfHeroesTheBaneOfHeroesover 6 years ago
Love it!

I can say this is easily one of my favorite stories on here

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Nice twist

To be honest I was a bit skeptical of the way things were developing for Ian romantically, however, you've won me over with the Nate twist.

AxelottoAxelottoover 6 years ago
Seriously losing my interest in this narrator

Too many missed chances, too many if-only moments, too much shilly-shallying, if I wanted a life of quiet desperation I'd stop reading and live my own life.

You are UN-selling me so hard with regards to the narrator, I am practically at the point of saying the eight Deadly Words ("I do not care what happens to these people" [or in this case,"...to this person..."]). Seriously. You are killing what was a fun story.

AspernEsslingAspernEsslingover 6 years agoAuthor
Seriously, Axelotto

Sorry you're not enjoying the story. I don't think Ian shilly-shallied with Tanya (well, maybe a bit), but especially not with Jen. As for Parvani, you must never have had a friend sitting on the fence between romance and platonic friendship.

But if you check the quotation at the very beginning .. I did try to warn you.

DrizdartDrizdartover 6 years ago
Enjoyable ... but a bit too much like my University life.

Quiet desperation ... a one-shot, confusing, ultimately alienating "relationship." A period of an intense sexual attraction, followed by a few weeks of un-ending expressions of lust, followed by "but I'm going to be with someone else." A friend who winds up dating another friend that could have been someone I could date -- if I would have had more confidence, more money, more time.

Please tell me you aren't going to resolve the story by having Ian meet someone else ... be friends for a year ... start dating ... stop dating ... restart dating ... stumble into getting engaged ... and then get married just before starting grad school.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
sorry to say...

but this does drag somewhat and I'm having trouble identifying with any of the characters as they all have such major failings with low redeeming qualities - just my opinion of course.

gatormangatormanover 6 years ago
Memorable

This story reminds me so much of my high school and college life. Many friends, some with romantic feelings percolating beneath the surface. This is a great story and I eagerly await each chapter. Keep up the great work. Ignore the naysayers.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Continues to be great

I think it's going along splendidly. Keep it up.

Master_LokiMaster_Lokiover 6 years ago

Keep up the great work! I always look out for your chapters. This is another to really enjoy.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
oh the angst

What a glutton for punishment. More please.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Rare coming of age story

I rarely enjoy coming of age stories. The hero inevitably makes lots of mistakes, and the payoff is typically not worth the journey for me.

This is different. Partially because the rpg aspects are near and dear to my own coming of age, so I have that buy in. It's not just that though. I can see the protagonist trying to evaluate risk and reward without the benefit of experience to inform his assessments; it is a recognizable phase of maturing. He makes the inevitable mistakes, but he makes them in a way to limit the damage he does to others, which makes him likable. And there is the intangible element that the journey is compelling. I want more!

JohnnyRebBBJohnnyRebBBabout 2 years ago

Great story BUT please link them as I keep reading out of sequence

striker24striker24over 1 year ago

What happened to the 'new Ian'? I guess this and his confidence are gone because of Jen? This chapter is shit.

SouthernCrossfireSouthernCrossfireover 1 year ago

Backslider! With Jen's departure, Ian's apparent confidence went Poof! and he seemed lost with respect to what he wanted. The butterfly emerges and he decides, but that made his delay and Nate's request hurt even more. The ball and Ian's heart are in her court.

GimliOakensGimliOakens7 months ago

I would have liked to meet the real Ian. Good people.

AnonymousAnonymous11 days ago

Fantastic writing style and character development. Ian, it seems, is at least sincere in acknowledging his shallowness in regards to Parvani, who obviously cared for him all aling. His inner monologues feel authentic as he tries to reconcile that old aspect of his otherwise decent personality and do the right thing.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userAspernEssling@AspernEssling
Still writing. More to come. For those who are interested: you may have noticed that I mention music fairly often. That's because I tend to listen to music while I write, so that certain artists/albums become associated with certain stories. Here are some of the connections. G...