Goes Without Saying Pt. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Oh, yes, I saw."

"David Darling-"

"Don't 'David darling' me," he snapped. "And from now on I'd appreciate it if you said nothing, and I mean nothing." He spat the last word out. She quailed.

"For the last few months you have deceived me, and lately lied to me outright, or omitted to tell me you were betraying me. You've been seeing this Gary for lunches, and goodness knows what else for some months.

"You have promised him that you will leave me and go to him. In fact you've made plans to do it. You told him that I no longer excite you as I used to. You stupid, selfish cow! The shine or the novelty always goes off a relationship; hell, Celia, the word novelty gives it away!

"Last Thursday I invited you for lunch, and you said you were too busy and couldn't take a lunch break. Strange that, since your boss said things were very slack at work when I asked to give you Friday off.

"Well, as you know I arrived in any case, and out you came with a skip in your step, and who was waiting in the car park but Gary! Gary made as if to come to meet you. When you saw me you dodged him and urged me to drive off. There were a few lies in that little scene weren't there?

"Then there's our anniversary weekend. I never saw you as greedy, grasping, dishonest, but accepting to go with me when you knew that there would be no more anniversaries, that was despicable.

"Shows you up for what you really are, doesn't it? You took all I had to offer that weekend, yet in a short while you were planning to dump me, I think you were giving it a fortnight. You calculating, lying, venal bitch! You've even taken a flat, so that was a certainty: you'd made up your mind long since. You really are a piece of work."

She made as if to speak, but he cut her off.

"I know it all, Celia, and I'm saving you the trouble of dumping me and rubbishing our six years together, by dumping you. I would have spent the rest of my life trying to make you happy, had a family with you, married you. I've even bought an engagement ring, d'you know that? I had a narrow escape there, didn't I? I bet you'd have taken me to the cleaners in a divorce, if we'd have married, grabbed every penny you could.

"But know this, Celia. Gary is a short term wonder. You'll have all the novelty you could ever want, but you won't have time for the novelty to wear off 'cos he'll dump you - two months? Three months? A year? But believe me he'll dump you when he's had enough fun with your body as he has with a raft of other pretty girls. Perhaps when the shine wears off for him! When you become boring!

"When that happens don't try coming back here, because I'm moving on. You are already history as far I'm concerned. A memory."

It shocked her, and David noticed the beginnings of tears, but he continued his diatribe to the end.

"I've left suitcases in the bedroom. There are some black bin liners there as well. Clear your stuff, and get out. You can come back to get the rest this evening; I'll stay at home. You'll return the two large grey suitcases tonight; you can keep the other one, pink was never my colour.

"And do me a last favour, don't speak another word. Just go. I wouldn't believe anything you said anyway, so it's pointless you saying anything. You can't rescue a failed relationship, and this one has failed utterly. Just go."

She hadn't sat down. She stood for a moment, and then made as if to speak, thought better of it and went up the stairs. There was activity for about half an hour and then there was the sound of her struggling down the stairs with the heavy suitcases. He got up and silently helped her, taking each case to her car. Then he went back and got the rest.

She stowed them in the car, and then turned to him. She made as if to hug or kiss him, and thought better of that as well.

She returned a hour later and filled the cases again, leaving without seeing him; he kept out of her way.

She returned once more, and this time he was waiting. She gave him the cases. He took them and placed them in the hallway. When he turned back she was standing on the step, looking agitated. He knew she wanted a last hug and perhaps some sort of blessing, but that was not going to happen. Eventually she spoke.

"Sorry," was all she whispered.

"You will be," he replied, "I'm the one who's sorry at the moment." He held out his hand. "Keys!"

She flinched as if he'd struck her, handed him the house keys, turned, got into her car and drove away.

-

Chapter 04

It was Tuesday, the second evening after David had ejected Celia. His first night alone had gone rather better than he thought it would. He had put some jazz on the music system and had a few beers before having a bath, doing the usual bedtime chores and going to bed. His emotions seemed to have gone to sleep ahead of him, and he slept well, going into work the next morning.

However, the Tuesday evening was different: the house now felt very empty to him. He was feeling low, despondent, depressed and lonely. Even so, he did not resort to take-away food; he did not frequent a fast food joint, he and Celia had always shared cooking though he was a much better cook than she was. He did himself a pork chop in bread crumbs, baked potato, peas and a couple of slices off a pineapple they had been eating for dessert.

He buried himself in some work, read a book and went to bed to the strains of Sydney Bechet playing blues - very apt for his mood, he thought.

Wednesday, the next night was worse, and he hadn't got round to think about eating something, when the door bell rang buzzed. There was his friend Gwen. She smiled sympathetically.

"Feeling a bit lonely?" she asked, walking past him into the house without waiting for an invitation. "Thought you might need some company. Have you eaten?"

He shook his head; that night he didn't feel like eating, having lost his appetite.

"Come on," she said, "I'll take you out for dinner. My treat."

"I don't think..." he began by way of declining the invitation, but she was having none of it.

"That was not an invitation boyo, it was an order!" and she laughed.

Somehow her laugh made life brighter, and he shrugged and got his jacket, occasioning another laugh from her. He realised how much he loved her musical laugh.

She took him to a middle-priced restaurant that Celia and he had often used, where the food was good and wholesome. After the meal she approached the subject he had deliberately avoided.

"Listen," she said. "You need to know this, though you probably won't think so. You knocked Celia for six the night before last. She was dazed and rang me. If it's any consolation she was in floods of tears.

"The silly woman thought if she planned her exit carefully, you would lovingly kiss her and send her on her way with your blessing. She hates not being in control. You also need to know that she called Gary and he went over to her place and stayed the night. So the split is complete. You really are better off, even if it doesn't feel that way."

She sat back and waited for his reaction. It took him a few moments to process her information and his thoughts.

"OK," he said at length. "It may seem strange, Gwen, but Gary finally shacking up with her closes the book on her. I knew it was going to happen and I forced the issue. I'm surprised myself that I don't feel all that upset. I think it's something to do with my being proactive. I feel annoyed that I've wasted six years - I know they're not really wasted- " he corrected himself as he saw her begin to interrupt.

"I don't believe that any good act is ever wasted," he continued. "Perhaps I did her some good, and I think it will perhaps come out in the future. Personally I was happy all the time; she was good for me, but I certainly don't feel destroyed, though obviously lonely and a little depressed - you get used to having someone in the house with you; but I'm somehow content that all that is behind me. Does that make sense?"

"Don't be too sure of that," she counselled. "I think other emotions will hit you at different times."

She paused.

"David, I want you to be sure you can call on me anytime. Please do. You know I've known Celia for getting on for twenty years and you only for about six, but I really feel closer to you than to her, you've become my best male friend, you know."

She drove him home. As he left the car, she asked, "Any chance of dinner tomorrow? I mean you cooking for me? I love your cooking."

"Yeah, fine," he said, "and thanks for tonight."

"More than welcome!," she said with a grin, and she was gone.

David and Gwen had a good time at home the next evening, chatting about all sorts of things; they always were easy with each other, and their humour sparked of each other. There was a lot of laughter. Even the silences were comfortable.

On Friday, David brought some 'homework': catch-up stuff from the time he'd spent away from work. It was quiet and peaceful in the house, especially with the long light June evenings. He'd take a break and wander round the garden. Celia used to like the garden but hated gardening, so he had had to do it all to keep it tidy and attractive, even beautiful, and he loved to do it: he found it was a wonderful way to unwind.

The next month was, in retrospect, very interesting. Friends gathered round to an extent that surprised him. He was invited out to eat with various couples, those with and without children. He invited them back and they came.

Groups with whom he usually went drinking went out of their way to ensure he attended. There was even one party at which two unattached women independently flirted with him quite blatantly. It led to nothing but cheered him immensely.

Interspersed with all these social activities, there was Gwen, who told him in a tone that brooked no dissent that she was going to keep him active and interested in life. They kissed cheeks when they met and when they parted.

They were doing the things together that David liked the most: symphony concerts, hiking, gardening (she even came and helped with the weeding, much to his surprise). They also went out to dinner together, ate at each other's houses, went out to the pub. They even went to clubs and danced together. They talked and they laughed; they did crosswords together, played scrabble.

So David had little time to brood over his loss, but brood he did in quiet moments. From time to time he felt upset at the loss of something, a love life that could have been life-long, growing and developing through the years.

He felt pangs of jealousy and imagined Celia and Gary together, making love, enjoying things together. It was the thought that her attention and desire was now focused not on David, but on someone else.

Then he felt a sense of injustice that Gary did not love her in any real sense of the word, but only wanted her. There was frustration that she could not see it and was destined for deep disappointment and even heartbreak. From time to time he even felt he could take her back if she came to him in tears after Gary had finished with her, but these impulses were immediately banished. The feelings came and went, and the constant attention of his friends and acquaintances prevented those feelings from taking over his life.

It did not take long before he realised that these people were not just being randomly supportive after the break-up, but that the whole thing bore the marks of choreography, and David thought he knew who the choreographer was.

So on a Friday in August, Gwen and he were sitting in his garden on the patio, having a glass of wine before a salad supper.

"I want to thank you," he said, breaking the silence, "for being such a good friend to me over the last few weeks."

She made 'pooh-poohing' noises.

"And I want to thank you for organising all our friends to keep me occupied as well."

There was a sharp intake of breath, "Friends? I don't know- "

"Come on, Gwen," he interrupted her with a laugh, "You're busted!"

He looked over at her, and was rewarded by a healthy glow from her embarrassed face. She smiled sheepishly.

Later, he thought it was that look she gave him that changed things. He had put her in the 'sister' category for a long time and so, while accepting that she was an attractive woman, and for other men desirable, he had never allowed himself to think of her that way. There had been strong affection, warmth, and a comfortable and relaxed feeling around her, but he surmised he'd never allowed lust to join the other feelings.

Now suddenly he saw her as a woman, and what was more, a woman he desired. Her pretty face and alluring body now entranced him, and yes, he was sure, he wanted her. Immediately, the thought that he was on the rebound from Celia countermanded it.

Gwen seeing his expression, became concerned, "What's the matter?"

He hesitated. What could he tell her? Dare he tell her? She became flustered.

"David, please," she begged. "Something's bothering you. What is it? Are you upset 'cos I got them all to rally round?"

He had to answer, and he knew at that moment he had to be truthful.

"No, it's not that," he said quietly. "I've just realised something that's really been staring me in the face for quite a time, but I've ignored it for various reasons, and with it there is a problem."

She looked puzzled, as well she might.

"Look," he continued. "We've been seeing each other a number of times each week since Celia left, and I for one have never felt so much at ease with anyone as I have with you, more so actually than I ever felt with Celia.

"You seem to enjoy our time together as well. What I've realised tonight is that I want to move beyond mere friendship with you, but the problem is that I'm aware that I might well be simply on the rebound from Celia, so I want to go slowly. Anyway, you might not feel the same way. There again, we fit together very well and we like each other and we think alike. So what would you say to tentative dating?"

David had been becoming more and more agitated as his little speech progressed, but when he finished, he was rewarded by her warm smile, much to his relief.

It wasn't an embarrassed smile, or a patronising 'you silly boy' smile. It was open and relieved and, he hoped, eager.

She spoke, "You know what I've always said when people wondered why I'd not settled down with someone?"

"You said something like you were waiting for the perfect man to come along."

"No, I didn't. I always said I was waiting to ambush the right man for me," she smiled. "It's what I've been doing over the past few weeks."

"You mean?" an astounded David gasped.

"Yes, that's exactly what I mean. I made the biggest mistake of my life that first night we met. I let Celia to take you and I got Alex. I told her later that you were the perfect man for her and I was being honest: you were. I fully expected the pair of you to split after a couple of weeks, she's so flighty, but you didn't.

"Then as the months went by, I saw how good you were with her. I knew she needed your steadiness - she really is very naïve, you know - and I kicked myself. You know the song 'It should have been me!'?"

He nodded.

"That's how I felt."

"But when Celia started going after Gary," he countered, "You tried to get her to stay with me."

"Good grief David!" she exclaimed. "I do have some morals you know. She was your girlfriend and my best friend. You were good for her. I had to help her - and you."

If he suspected before that he wanted Gwen, now he knew it. He admired her and realised how lofty and solid was her altruism and moral sense. He knew she would always be faithful, always committed.

"You haven't answered my question." he prompted her.

"Yes, I have," she said with an impish grin, "but if you want it spelled out: yes please, I would love to become your girlfriend. And yes, I want more than just friendship with you; I think I always have."

"So..." David didn't know where to go from there and faltered.

"David my darling," she said, exuding patience, "We've been dating for the best part of five weeks: we've been on four dates away from home, and four eating in each other's homes. So I suggest that after eight dates it's high time we moved to the next level."

"But I said tentative-"

"Count the previous six years as tentative, and the past eight dates as real dates. I suggest we eat our delicious ham salads, and then you take me to your bed. How's that for the next level?"

Her logic was irrefutable, at least he thought so, and immediately he was more than aware that he was incredibly frustrated!

They entered the bedroom and she simply shed her clothes without a shred of self-consciousness. David was mesmerised by her perfectly shaped and solid tits and neatly trimmed bush. She was more rounded, more shapely than Celia; there was more of everything about her. She smiled at his admiration, then, naked, she undressed him and pulled him onto the bed, pushing him down on his back. Then she got to work.

She was a revelation to him! The things she could do with her tongue and lips on his face, ears, mouth, neck, nipples, and of course penis and even his arse defied belief. He had never been given such intense experiences by any woman before. No, not even by Celia.

Until Gwen began the blow job, David had often wondered why men liked the feeling of coming in a girl's mouth and having her swallow their semen, as opposed to coming in her mouth and her spitting it out or grimacing at the taste. Once Gwen had sucked the essence out of him and gulped it down, smacking her lips and licking dribble off her lips, he knew why.

Then he gave as good as he got, once he had recovered from her ministrations. He had had a good number of fairly brief sexual partnerships over the years, and then six years with Celia. Gwen assured him that Celia had no complaints about sex with him. She said Celia made her envious, and now Gwen was 'getting the goodies' as she put it.

-

Chapter 05

Early in his sexual career, as a teenager, David had been educated by a very actively sexy girl, Jackie Shanley, who took him in hand (and mouth), and afterwards patiently explained about foreplay. She talked about setting the scene, the atmosphere, then remote foreplay.

"Girls have erogenous zones all over the body," she explained. "Boys know about kissing and about boobs and bum, but when they go for those straight away it's a disappointment. There are other areas that turn a girl on."

At this she scooted down the bed and began to tickle his feet. While he was still giggling and trying to escape she moved to his waist, then under his armpits. He was helpless with laughter. Then she tickled the backs of his knees, and the inside of his elbows. Then his neck. He was a squirming wreck.

Jackie then sat up with a grin. "Would you say those areas are sensitive?"

He nodded, bereft of speech and breathing heavily.

"So there's the clue, dumbo!" she laughed.

"I have to tickle a girl to get her in the mood?" he asked. He remembered what a novice he had been at the lovemaking lark.

"Idiot!" she reproved him, "You can touch and stroke without tickling. Try it."

He tried and it was a revelation. She closed her eyes and began breathing hard and sighing as he ran his fingers over the sensitive areas she had indicated. It worked!

When Jackie opened her eyes again, she sighed.

"You've got it," she murmured, "and another tip. To begin with avoid the usual spots - nips and cunt. Tantalise her. Go near but don't actually touch. Trust me, Dave, sooner or later she'll beg or start twisting or shaking. Then you can touch your favourite bits!"

They met often after that, and he tried it. Jackie tutored him and in time she did beg and had those intense orgasms she loved. David felt he was bursting with pride. They only parted when they left for different universities.