Going Home - Preparations

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

That got me a sharp elbow to the ribcage, delivered with a big grin. 'I knew there had to be a caveat,' she laughed. 'But seriously. You're not concerned about my sex drive?'

'Of course not.' I answered. 'First, I have a limited data set to analyze, you, Mike, and Mike's cousin Kate. And you're all pretty enthusiastic, if I might risk a comparison.'

'Mike and Kate are pretty horny, too.' she agreed. 'Maybe I'm not so weird after all.'

'Gwen, if you're weird, I hope all my friends find a woman as weird as you. Just so long as it's not you.'

Gwen smiled at me. 'We're going to be parents. Are you ready for that, Jonas?'

'Are you sure?' I asked.

'I'm almost two weeks late. I've been queasy in the morning a couple of times this past week. From what I remember hearing my cousins say, I think it's probably morning sickness. Fortunately, it passes after a little while. But I as understand it, it will probably get worse.'

'I'm probably not ready for it. But I'm not sure anyone ever is. I doubt your parents or mine had any idea how much things would change with a baby. But they figured it out. We will, too.'

We drove to Gwen's parent's house, arriving a little after eleven. Ian was asleep, but Edith was awake and waiting for us.

'I want to talk to you both,' she said, seeming rather stern instead of her usually gentle, motherly manner.

Alarm bells were going off in my head. Edith was observant. I saw she noted Gwen's enormous appetite. Gwen was barely aware of how much more she was eating. Plus, she reacted with a wince at other times when comments or unconscious behaviors might have suggested Gwen was sexually active. Our apparent rush to get married was another claxon I'm sure made Edith suspicious. I suspected, that Edith suspected Gwen might already be pregnant.

'You're getting married the day after tomorrow,' she began.

'I know, Mom. You, Mike, Jonas, Dad, and I have been running non-stop to get everything ready. Is there a problem?' Gwen asked.

'Yes, there's a problem. A big problem.'

Gwen looked worried. 'What is it, Mom? Did something bad happen?'

'Not yet, but it might if Jonas stays here tomorrow night!' Edith said.

I grinned. 'It's bad luck for the groom to see the bride before the ceremony on the day of the wedding.'

Gwen breathed a sigh of relief. I did so silently.

'Jonas can't stay here tomorrow night. He can't see you that day until the ceremony.'

'Not a problem, Edith. I'll stay at the country house tomorrow night.'

Edith looked at me curiously before saying, 'Oh! Mr. Bailey's house.'

'Jonas' house now, Mom.'

I smiled at Edith, put a hand on her shoulder and gave her a kiss on the cheek. 'Thanks, Mom. We wouldn't want to tempt fate.'

I was sitting in the living room the next morning, reading Einstein's paper on Brownian motion when Ian came downstairs.

'What are your plans for the day?' he asked.

'Other than dinner tonight with you and Edith, my father and Jane, Mike, and Gwen, all I have planned is vacating the premises,' I responded.

'Vacating the premises? What are you talking about?' he asked.

'Edith waited up for us last night. She made it clear I couldn't stay here tonight because it's bad luck for the groom to see the bride before the ceremony.'

Ian grinned. 'She said something to me about that last night. She can be very traditional sometimes. What are you going to do?'

'I'll stay at my grandfather's and drive over to the studio just before the wedding.'

'What are you doing today?' he asked.

'I don't know yet.'

He pointed at my right hand. 'Do you want to wear that tomorrow?' he asked.

'Not really. But I don't think I have any choice.'

'C'mon. Let's take a drive. We'll go see my friend, Doc Brown. Maybe he can fix it so you don't have to. We'll leave the girls a note and get breakfast with Alice.'

Alice greeted us with a big smile and told us, 'Sit anywhere. I'll whip up an omelet and join you.'

Ian went behind the bar and made three Bloody Mary's. Mine was a bit heavy on the Tabasco but not undrinkable. Alice joined us a few minutes later, balancing three plates heaped with ham and cheese omelet, bacon, home fries, and toast.

I was hungry and attacked my breakfast enthusiastically while Ian and Alice exchanged their usual sibling barbs.

'Are you and Gwen taking a honeymoon somewhere?' Alice asked me.

'Not really,' I told her. 'I thought we'd drive back to school but we decided to leave the car here and take the train back. I have a car in California and don't really need two. School is just a short walk from where we're going to live.'

'No honeymoon? That's sad.' Alice said. 'Isn't the honeymoon the whole reason to get married?' she teased.

'I have a house in Boston. We'll spend a few days there. Alone. Before we catch the train. We'll make do.' I smiled.

Ian scowled at Alice and then looked my way. 'Where are you going to spend the wedding night?' he asked.

'At the Bailey house.'

I could see Ian breathe a sigh of relief. I think he was afraid Gwen and I might opt to spend the night in her bedroom. Knowing his daughter and her new husband were consummating their marriage in the next room might be more than a little awkward. I smiled at him, though I don't think he found as much amusement in the exchange as I did.

Alice however, picked up Ian's concern and didn't let him off the hook. She teased him mercilessly about being upset that his daughter would be having sex. All Ian could do was sputter and protest feebly in embarrassment.

When Alice finally let him off the hook, I asked for a glass of orange juice.

Alice told me, 'You'll be family tomorrow. It's in the fridge behind the bar. Help yourself. I think you'll have no trouble finding a glass.'

Just before we left, Ian went to the men's room. Alice winked at me. 'You do right by my niece, tomorrow night,' she grinned decadently.

'I wouldn't dream of anything else.' I laughed.

When Ian came back, he hugged his sister. 'I don't know why I put up with you, Alice. You never cut me a break.'

'You wouldn't have it any other way,' she responded. 'Today was my turn to get your goat. You get in your licks,' she laughed.

Ian was grinning when we left.

He drove us across town and parked in front of a large white house with a picket fence. A sign in the front yard read 'Wilbert Brown, DVM'.

I looked over at Ian. 'Why are you taking me to a veterinarian?' I asked, confused. I wondered what he was up to.

'Relax. Wil is a veterinarian but he's also an MD. His has a medical practice in Boston. He practices veterinary medicine here two days a week. He'd probably tell you he prefers treating animals to treating people. But he's good with both.'

I was skeptical, but followed Ian inside. Immediately after we entered the empty waiting room, Dr. Brown came in from the back.

'Ian. Good to see you. What brings you today? You don't have animals.'

'Not true, Wil.' Ian said, pointing over his shoulder at me with a thumb. 'I've got one in tow,' he added. 'Meet my future son-in-law, Jonas Taylor.'

Dr. Brown eyed me, curiously. 'I heard something about Gwen getting married. Wasn't sure I believed it.

So, you're marrying, Gwen? You're in big trouble, young man,' he told me. 'That girl gave every boy in town fits. Every one of them was interested in her. She didn't give them the time of day. She's actually going to marry you?'

I just smiled at him. Over the next twenty minutes, I concluded that Dr. Brown was something of a curmudgeon.

'You have no idea,' he said, shaking his head. 'What seems to be the problem?'

Before I could say a word, Ian answered. 'It seems Jonas broke his hand defending my daughter's honor. They're getting married tomorrow and we were wondering if he could lose the cast.'

Dr. Brown looked at me. 'When did you break it and how?'

I gave him the details - date, circumstances, what the attending physician had told me.

'No compound fracture?'

'No, sir. Just two hairline fractures. Hurt like hell, though.'

'Let me take a look. If I don't like what I see, I'll recast it.'

Dr. Brown cut the cast off and examined the hand. He massaged the bones in my hand and manipulated them, pressing firmly but not hard. I sat impassively while he did his examination.

'Does any of this hurt?' he asked?

'Not at all.'

'Does it ache at night?'

'No.'

'Do you work?'

'I'm a grad student, physics.'

'Have to use your hands for heavy lifting or hard work for that?'

'Sometimes. Not very often.'

'Shake my hand,' he said, offering his right hand. He gripped my hand firmly but didn't try to crush it, and shook vigorously. 'That hurt?'

'No, sir.'

'Alright. I think you'll be Ok without the cast. But I want you to wear a splint to support your hand for three more weeks. Treat it like it's still in a cast. I'll show you how to wrap it properly. If you like, you don't have to wear it during the ceremony or while you're getting pictures taken. But put it back on before the evening gymnastics start.'

Ian grimaced. Dr. Brown was grinning from ear-to-ear. I decided I liked Dr. Brown.

When we were done, Dr. Brown said, 'Normally, I get three dollars for an office visit. But if you're marrying Gwen, you'll need the three dollars more than I do. You keep it.'

'Wil, you're coming to the wedding tomorrow?' Ian asked.

'You kidding? I wouldn't miss seeing that girl get married if Van Dusee hooked me up to his team of Belgians to drag me away.' He turned to me and smiled. 'You be careful.'

'I don't think I need to worry about that, Doc,' I chuckled.

'You better hope not.'

When Ian and I got back in his car, I couldn't contain my laughter. Ian couldn't deny the humor in the ribbing he'd received that morning from Alice and Doc Brown.

We drove back to the house, making small talk about the wedding. When we got back, Gen was pleased to see my cast was gone. I explained that the restrictions regarding use were still in force but that I could take the brace off for the ceremony and photos.

Ian went out to his studio to work. Edith busied herself with some last-minute adjustments to the wedding dress, pulling Gwen away for a few minutes on two occasions. I returned to my reading. At four, Ian returned and we all got ready to go to dinner. Mike came by and the five of us piled into the Cadillac for the drive into Boston where we met my father and Jane at the restaurant.

Ian was true to his word. He made reservations at a restaurant that put a serious dent in my wallet. A good steak dinner in 1947 was about three-dollars and fifty cents. The check for appetizers, drinks, dinner, and dessert was over $150. The food was outstanding. The wine excellent. The service, well, I can say the waiter and the maître d weren't snooty. They were snotty.

We left the restaurant and drove home. My father and Jane parted from us to go to their hotel promising be join me at the Bailey house early. Mike left almost immediately for home, staying only long enough to say good night.

When Ian and Edith went to bed, Gwen and I took a few minutes together to say good night.

After I kissed her good night and went outside, Gwen watched from the window as I backed around and drove away. I drove to the Bailey house. Mr. Purdy had not returned from Maine. I hoped everything was alright. He had said he'd be at the wedding.

I went in the back door. There was a candle burning on the table and an envelope placed next to it. My name was on the envelope, in Gwen's handwriting. I opened the envelope and read Gwen's brief note inside.

'Jonas, I love you. I'm excited to know we'll soon begin our life together as husband and wife. I wanted so much to spend the night with you but I couldn't manage it. But I'll sleep alone tonight knowing we'll be together tomorrow night and for many more after that.

There is a gift for you waiting upstairs. I know you'll enjoy it. It's something special for the two people I love most. Know that I'll dream of you tonight while I sleep.

Love always, Gwen'

I went upstairs hesitantly. The door to the master bedroom was closed. The floorboard creaked softly when I stopped outside the bedroom door. Like it always did. But in the quiet, empty house, it announced my presence like a gunshot.

When I opened the door, dozens of candles illuminated the room with a dim, flickering light.

Mike was lying on her side on the bed, her knees together, her head propped up by a hand, wearing only a smile and a flimsy, red nightgown.

'I thought you'd never get here,' she whispered.

'But Mike . . .' I stammered.

'Tonight only, Jonas. You and me alone. Tonight only,' she said softly.

'But . . .'

'Jonas, this was Gwen's idea, not mine. A special gift for you. And her gift to her maid of honor.'