Hampered in His Plans Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"So am I." I said. "Speaking as her boss, of course. By the way, Doctors Fredricson and Searles... if that woman gives you the first hint of trouble, let me know."

"She really can't fuck with us, we're Staff." said Laura. "And she knows I have more sway with Dr. Wellman than she does."

"I think you have more sway with the Iron Crowbar too, Laura." said Cindy.

"I'm just glad he and and all of you are on my side." said Teresa. "And thank you, Dr. Eckhart."

"My dear," said Eckhart, "that is what family is for." Even as he spoke, an idea was forming in my head.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Amy's medical bills were taken care of, but we still had some issues. That afternoon, I took Buddy up to see Amy. The young girl's face brightened up considerably when she saw him, and he was very happy to see her, too. She petted him for a long time, until Nurse Jones came around and told me I had to go for the night.

But the next day, as Cindy and I came through the service entrance that Staff used, we were confronted by two burly security guards.

"You cannot bring that dog into the hospital." one of them snarled at me.

"What?!" I said, stunned. "I most certainly can."

"It's against policy," said the guard, "and we have been given orders to prevent you, especially you, Troy, from bringing that dog into this hospital. If you try, we will stop you by whatever means necessary, including the use of lethal force. And you have no jurisdiction here. State property."

"And whose orders would those be?"

"This Hospital's Administration, based upon complaints by the Staff."

"Not the Doctor's Staff." Laura said as she walked up behind them. "Let my husband through... with the dog. By the way, those two officers are SBI Agents, and have all the jurisdiction they need." That wasn't true, we couldn't be SBI Reserve Agents in our home jurisdiction, but I wasn't going to correct my wife at this juncture.

"We have our orders, Doctor." said the guard, hurling his words at us. "And I intend to follow them, including using deadly force to kill your husband if he tries."

"Laura, would you come over here?" I asked. My wife went past the guards. I handed Buddy to her. The red crowbar came out. "Two against one, this will be all too easy." I said.

A blue crowbar was also produced, by my platinum-blonde-haired partner. "Two against two, Batman. And it's going to hurt."

"I pity the fools." I said. We prepared to charge the guards, who were going for their guns, when an older voice called out:

"Hold on, hold on!" The voice belonged to the Captain of the Hospital Security Staff, with whom I'd talked just days before on Hospital security. "Gentlemen," he said to his guards, "are you crazy? This is the Iron Crowbar. Let 'em through before something wet happens to you."

"Sir, we have our orders." said the guard.

"You have direct orders from me." said the Captain. "Commander, come on through. And I assure this won't happen again."

"Thanks." I said. I took Buddy, and with my wife and Cindy in tow, escorted him towards Amy's room.

"I think we'll know who started this trouble in just a minute." I said. Sure enough, as we went past the Nurse's Station, I heard a voice call out "Stop!"

It was the woman we called 'Nurse Ratchett', who looked (and acted) so much like that evil woman in the movie. "You cannot bring that dog in here! I told Security to stop you at the door!"

"Yes they can, and on my authority." said Laura.

"No, Doctor." said Nurse Ratchett. "Either take that dog back out, or I'm calling the Police!"

I just turned and looked at her with one of those 'Really?' looks. She realized her folly. "I'll call the SBI, then. The FBI. Whatever it takes, but I'll find someone to stop you!"

I said nothing, but just turned and walked down the hall... with Buddy.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

As Dr. Searles and Laura talked with Amy (and Buddy), I told them that Cindy and I would be back in a moment. As we went down the hall, to the Nurses Station, I told Cindy what we were going to do.

A nursing supervisor was at the desk, listening to Nurse Ratchett's bitter complaints about me bringing in the dog. I could tell she was more furious about the dog's presence than mine.

"Commander," said the supervisor, "may I speak with you a moment in this private room?" She indicated a small room behind the nurse's station.

"No, you may not." I said. "Because I will be talking with this nurse about a very serious situation. Captain, escort the nurse into that room, please, and under arrest if necessary." The shocked nurses just watched as Cindy all but shoved Nurse Ratchett into the room. I followed and slammed the door.

"Have a seat, Nurse." I said, bringing out a computer tablet I'd brought, anticipating this situation. Cindy put the chair behind Nurse Ratchett, and pushed her shoulders down, forcing her to sit. I brought a chair up next to the nurse, and set up the tablet.

"Let's watch some TV, shall we?" I said. I played a video. "Ah, this is just a recording of some of the paperwork I have, pertaining to some morphine sulfate being stolen from this Hospital. The SBI investigated, but they didn't do a very good job of investigating, I'm afraid." (Author's note: Case of the Paper Trail.)

"Ah, this file shows where you, Nurse, went out the basement door instead of the normal front door, thus evading search and thus getting the morphine out of the Hospital."

"You'll never prove that." said the Nurse.

"Won't I?" I said. "Ah, here's some footage from a Kroger parking lot. We were investigating the murder of Edna Biller, and we found that her husband was the culprit. But I also found this extra piece of video. Now this car on the left... that's Coach Brian Harlan's nurse, who provided medical services for him until his unfortunate death at all too early an age, from cancer. By the way, Nurse, do you see who's car is pulling up to hers?"

"Ah, Nurse, here is where it gets good." I said. "The person in that other car is handing a package to Coach Harlan's nurse... ah, looks like a morphine bottle. Well, I do declare, that is very suspicious. And Nurse, do you recognize that other car? Do you know who it belongs to?"

Nurse Ratchett was sitting in her chair, her face set in a prim veneer of anger. I said "I am sure that if I go into this Hospital's employees parking lot right now, I will find that other car. What do you think, Nurse?" It was the Nurse's car, of course, and she knew it.

"What do you want?" 'Nurse Ratchett' spat.

"Oh, not much." I said. "Coach Harlan was dying, and was in pain. I certainly have no problem with his nurse wanting to ease his pain in his final days and hours on this earth. But the Medical Examiner did find a lethal amount of morphine in the bag, and he asked for a murder investigation. We still have all that evidence, and there is no Statute of Limitations on murder..."

I turned to the Nurse and looked her hard in the eyes, and said very quietly "And if I hear one more God-damned word about bringing that dog to see his owner, a little girl who is dying, I will personally arrest you and you will be charged with conspiracy to commit first degree murder. Oh, you think I won't win that, but I don't have to... the charges will be enough to get your Nursing license suspended. You'll never work in this State again."

I then pulled out my FBI Consultant badge. "You mentioned the FBI, Nurse. Why, I happen to be a Consultant with them. Their Deputy Director does not like racists, Nurse. He does not like them at all. And if I mention to him that you're a racist, support white supremacists, and on top of that you've conspired to commit murder..." I chuckled, a chuckle which Cindy later told me sent chills down her spine.

"So that's it." I drawled. "Dog and little girl spend time together, makes her happy... you get to be a nurse. The next peep I hear out of anyone, anyone at all... sad day for you, Nurse. Sad day for you."

I got up to go, Cindy following. Once outside I looked at the Supervisor and said "I think everything is resolved now." She hurried into the other room, where Nurse Ratchett apparently decided to not make any more issues out of anything. I would have no further trouble with bringing Buddy to see Amy.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Well, honey," I said to Laura as we prepared for bed. "I hope what I've done won't cause you any problems at the Hospital."

"Are you kidding?" Laura said. "The entire Staff hates Dr. Alcott with a passion. She is a duplicitous, mean-spirited bitch, and that little scene she made was intentional. It was a joy to watch Dr. Eckhart light her up like he did."

"And very, very generous of him to pick up Amy's bills." I said. "Cindy swears she did not tell him nor call him... and neither did I."

"He must be psychic, like everyone says." Laura said drily. "As to the Nurse, you have put the fear of God into her. All the nurses are wondering what you said to her, and she says she won't talk about it. They asked if you threatened her, and she says you didn't, and to just leave it be."

"So, maybe I'll need to talk with my uncle about Dr. Alcott, about those friend he said she has." I said. "Or maybe she'll find her way to another Hospital, along with her little imitation guard dogs that almost got hurt today."

"Imitation?" asked Laura.

"Oh yes." I said. "They weren't regulars. The Security Captain doesn't know all his people, as they change in and out all the time. These two... were there simply to stop me. I actually intended to arrest them, find out who they really were, but the Security Captain came in, and with you and the dog there, I chose to de-escalate the situation."

"Oh, wow." Laura said. "As to Alcott, it'd be a crying shame if she did choose to leave. And it was a crying shame I didn't get to watch you and Cindy take down those idiots. I never get to see my husband the fighter... only my husband the lover."

"I hope that's not a complaint." I said, rolling over on top of her.

"Not at all. Not at all." my wife replied with a lovely smile as she spread her long, luscious legs and I settled between them...

Part 4 - New Year, New Crimes

Thursday, December 31st. It was the New Year celebration at the home of University President Sidney P. Wellman and his lovely wife Sally. It was one of Laura's favorite parties, and she was looking mighty fine. I was exceptionally proud that she was on my arm when I saw the looks coming her way.

The CEO of BOW Enterprises, that being my nephew Todd Burke, was definitely getting the attention of the lovely ladies in the room, but he was 'taken'... that was my Vice Lieutenant on his arm, and Teresa was looking as lovely as I'd ever seen her.

At one point in the evening, hostess Sally Wellman asked my wife to come speak with Elsie Gringer and my mother. I knew that there was a reason for this, and it quickly became apparent when Dr. Wellman asked to speak to me in his library, the room I'd introduced Daniel Allgood to him and others as candidate for Sheriff.

Alone in the room, Dr. Wellman offered me a cigar, which I accepted. As we puffed, he said "I heard there was a ruckus at the Hospital the other day. Your reputation both precedes and follows you, Commander, and you leave... interesting stories in your wake."

"I hope I wasn't too much of a bull in a china shop." I said.

Dr. Wellman chuckled. "Ah, let's have a seat." We sat down in two comfortable chairs, a small table between them for drinks. I was not having alcohol tonight, and if I had drunk anything, I wouldn't have accepted the cigar... those don't mix well together within Your Iron Crowbar.

"I was more than a little shocked at the Hospital Administrator's attitude." said Wellman. "I would've made a point to insist that young girl be allowed to stay, even if Dr. Eckhart had not intervened. I'm also going to tell him that while I appreciate his offers to pay for her treatment, it will not be necessary. The flip side of that, of course, is that it's good publicity for the Hospital, and the School."

"Oh, don't do that." I said. "The Hospital deserves to get paid, or at least its costs reimbursed. And just between us, Dr. Wellman... Dr. Eckhart wants to do this, and for more than just helping that girl. And he has more than enough money, many times over."

"Okay, if you insist." said Wellman. "By the way, I made a point to discuss the situation with the Hospital Administrator, Dr. Alcott. I believe she will be much more circumspect in the future, or else she'll be finding employment elsewhere. I don't have totally direct control of the Hospital Board, but I do have considerable influence."

"I appreciate that, Doctor." I replied.

"I also spoke to the Captain of Security, and the owners of that company, as well." said Wellman. "The two guards that accosted you, and very foolishly, I might add, have not shown up to work since that day, but when and if they do return, they will find that they have been reassigned... to where, I have no idea, but it's not this Campus and not the Hospital."

"Thank you for that." I said. "And yes... they were very foolish." Wellman chuckled again.

"So what was that altercation with the nurse about?" Wellman asked.

"She objected to my bringing Amy's dog to see her." I said. "I had to redirect her suppositions about a few things."

"I should tell you that her Nursing supervisor complained about the incident, and you." said Wellman. "Something about 'throwing your weight around'. Dr. Searles told her that that beat swinging your crowbar around. He then went on to shame her for complaining about you trying to make a sick girl happy by bringing her dog to see her."

"Well," I said, "I expect no more trouble there."

"No, there won't be." said Wellman. "By the way, I must again congratulate you upon that situation with BigPharmaCorp." He sighed, almost a shudder. "Taking on a company like that, and a man like Dr. Cubbard... that takes some brass stones, there, Commander Troy. No doubt you have them, but it has gained you attention at a national level. And not all good attention, if you understand my drift."

"I think they'll get over it." I said. "I get the feeling they never were all that happy with Cubbard in the first place."

"Ah, yes, you are indeed as observant as you are reputed to be." said Wellman, peering at me. "But there may still be ramifications. If BigPharmaCorp decided they might have to close one of their plants..."

"It won't be this one." I said. "It's one of their biggest, most efficient factories, and the lab is their second most important. Their best drugs are made here. And they built the plant because of the proximity to this University. They don't want to give up that asset. And I doubt they really think a local cop on the beat is a problem to them."

"What about those research drugs, the ones that were found in that raid your Police made?"

"Ah, that was a bonus." I said. "It blew the doors off of what was going on at BigPharmaCorp. Unfortunately, I have not had time to work on the other end of that smuggling ring."

I felt more than saw Wellman peering at me as he sipped his drink. "Oh?" he said. "You haven't had your subordinates working on it? Pardon my directness in saying this, but I heard that your sister and her smuggling operations might've been involved."

Now how did he know that? I asked myself. And more, why is he mentioning it to me? I put that into its compartment and moved on.

"Possibly." I said. "But I have not yet found a direct connection between her and this ring."

"What do you know about that ring?" asked Wellman. I realized he was trying to glean information from me. As I turned to look at him, he said "I only ask because of what happened with that PED situation. I remember that your sister's son was a part of that. Of course I know your integrity is of a much higher level than hers, but I want to make sure there is no threat to harm my University."

"I understand." I said, knowing that Wellman was lying to me like a dog in the shade. "I don't think there is any threat to the School. Of course my wife works here, and I have your University under my protection for that reason, if not more. But I haven't connected my sister to whoever was trying to get the BigPharmaCorp research drugs."

I don't think Wellman was mollified, but he let it go. He said "By the way, we've beaten back the Conference over that fight at State Tech. I found it... interesting how the Wildcats and other Schools came so readily to our defense."

"I think every other School was angry at State Tech for that cheap shot that ended Nick Eastwood's career." I said. "State Tech has also been a bit snippy, saying their academics are so much better than everyone else's, and that's the only reason they're so crappy in Sports. I, for one, think that State Tech is nothing special, academically or otherwise. You can pass this along to the Regents, Doctor, but they need to upgrade some of their Engineering programs. They're falling behind the power curve."

"Yes, that has been mentioned at State levels. This is embargoed, but Jack Lewis is going to make improving them, and providing us additional funding, a priority plank of his platform in his campaign for Governor. Governor Jared has been good to us, but the Republicans as a whole are basically telling us to pound sand. Sean Stockton is a disaster. I wish Jared would consider running again, as a Republican or even as an Independent."

"Or you could get Dr. Alcott to run." I said. "She definitely has the temperament to be a State politician." Dr. Wellman laughed out loud, a cold sinister laugh that could bode ill for someone if he so chose.

Just then, there was a knock on the door. Sally Wellman peeked her attractive head in and told her husband he was needed. We headed back to the party.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

As midnight neared, many of the couples at the party were dancing to the soft music. I had Laura in my arms, with her arms around my neck, and we did not care what anyone else in the world thought of our slow-dancing. Todd and Teresa were dancing a slow-dance, but he held her right hand in his left hand, a bit more formal and 'old-school'.

I had noticed some things. First, Myron Milton and his lovely wife Goth Girl Mary Mahoney Milton were here, and Mary was making all leather look classy. Myron's father Marvin was also here... he was Elsie Gringer's date.

The only other Police officer here was Julie Newton. She had come with a handsome young man who I had heard worked in the District Attorney's office. I think his name was Scott or Scotty, but for the first time I realized that hostess Sally Wellman had made sure Laura and I were not formally introduced to Julie and her date, which was unusual even though Julie and I certainly knew each other already.

The other odd thing about it was that the people invited here were either part of the School (like Laura), or were wealthy donors (which explained Todd). Julie had no connection that I knew of to the School, so did her youngish looking date? Hmmm...

Julie's sister Yvonne was also here, escorted by another young man I did not know. As Laura and I danced, I noticed that Sally Wellman was talking with Julie's date Scotty, while Julie was talking to Dr. Wellman in what they thought was a darkened alcove of the room that led to the back patio and back lawn. They were talking animatedly, with Julie's eyes looking up into Wellman's, and his locking with hers as he wore that sinister smile of his. Hmmm...

A few minutes later, everyone counted down the seconds to midnight. As 'Auld Lang Syne' was sung, I of course kissed my beautiful wife very warmly. I noticed out of the corner of my eye that Todd had dramatically bent Teresa backwards and then kissed her. Life of the party, those two...