Hero's Lament Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

They greeted each other as he sat down. "This was a pleasant surprise. It's not often I have lunch with a beautiful woman," he said with a smile.

"Oh I find that hard to believe. I'll bet every woman in your company is swooning over you."

That brought a chuckle while he opened his menu. "Most of the women in my office are on the other side of sixty and are more than content with their long and happy marriages," he replied.

The waitress interrupted before more was said. She filled their coffee cups and took their orders before leaving them alone again.

Abby had devised a plan. She would start out asking questions and talking about his kids then slowly segue into the heart of the matter but before she got started, Tyler spoke up.

"You know other day at Susan's I thought I detected a slight New England accent while you were talking; you're not originally from Chicago, are you?"

Abby explained how her family moved up and down the east coast when she was a kid. That, of course, led to childhood stories. She even told him about the time she mistakenly walked into the boy's bathroom when she was in high school. There were several boys in there at the time, a couple of whom were standing at the urinal with shocked faces. She could joke about it now but at the time it was anything but funny. By the end of the day, news of her mishap had spread throughout the school and she was terribly humiliated. It took weeks before the boys stopped offering her a look at their cocks.

She also talked about how close she was with her father and how devastated she was when he passed away several years prior. Unfortunately she never had the chance to grieve properly because she had to stay strong for her mother. It was a hard time in her life and she thought it may had contributed to her husband's infidelity.

In forty-five minutes he had gotten her to open up. On a lighter note she also told him about her proclivity for old movies; Jimmy Stewart, Gary Cooper, and Gregory Peck were among her favorite actors.

It wasn't until the waitress came back and asked if they wanted dessert that she realized time was almost up and they hadn't talked about him at all. Her whole purpose for having lunch was to see if he was ready to date yet and she hadn't even started her planned conversation. Since time was so short, if she wanted the answers to some questions she'd now have to just come out and ask.

Suddenly she was getting nervous again. This wasn't the way it was supposed to go but she wasn't going to leave without at least finding out if he was going to reconcile with his ex. She took a deep breath...

"Tyler, I asked to lunch because I think you're a really nice guy and I'd like to get to know you better but before I proceed any further I have to ask-you think you'll ever go back to your ex-wife?"

That stopped him cold. "No," he said emphatically.

Suddenly his demeanor changed and Abby saw him stiffen. "I'm sorry; I didn't mean to bring up a sore subject," she apologized. "It's just...well, if you were up to it I'd like go out with you sometime but if you were thinking about a reconciliation I didn't want to butt in."

That seemed to put Tyler at ease a little. "I see," he said with just the hint of a smile. "What gave you the idea I was thinking about going back to Nancy?"

"Well, unlike most divorced men, I've never heard you say a bad thing about her, and at the party you talked pretty highly of her, saying what a good mother she was. Then last week, at Susan's place you were in a particularly good mood. I just kind of put two and two together and..."

"And came up with six," he said, breaking in. "No, no I have no intention of reconciling. I'm not sure how much you know. I'm certain Susan's told you the story of how I beat up her ex and everything; it was a very bad situation. It left a lot of scars, and I don't mean the physical kind. I was in a good mood last week because I got a promotion at work. With it come's a raise and another week's vacation time. I told the kids I was taking them to Disney World later in the summer. I know Nancy still hopes I'll come back. She just can't seem to face reality yet but it's never going to happen."

Susan was right. Abby saw a possibility there but was it the right time? The atmosphere had become solemn. She really didn't know where to take the conversation. Luckily she didn't have to take it anywhere. The small grin she saw earlier had returned.

"So, you'd like to get to know me better, huh? Funny, I was thinking the same thing about you. Chris and LeAnn already think you're pretty and very nice," he told her. He swore she was blushing.

"Well I think they're pretty special too," she replied. "So what happens now? I've already puts my cards on the table; I think the next move is yours."

Now that he knew how she felt about him she was really praying he wouldn't proposition her right away. During lunch there were no dirty jokes, off color innuendos, or risqué double-entendres. He was a gentleman; so different than what she'd gotten used to over the last couple of years.

This time she wanted a little romance, maybe a couple candle-lit dinners and a walk in the moonlight before jumping into the sack.

That night Tyler went home with a lot on his mind. After dinner he poured himself a scotch and sat in his favorite chair to think. He really did like Abby. She was smart, had a great sense of humor and a pleasant disposition. She was fun to be with and he missed the presence of a woman in his life—the problem was...he wasn't sure himself if he was ready.

It was just natural, he presumed, that when a man's wife cheats on him, he starts to question his manhood. He becomes insecure and unsure of himself. On top of that he also develops trust issues. Hell, if the woman he loved and devoted his life to betrayed him, how could he trust any woman not to do the same?

He downed the remaining whiskey in one gulp and decided there was only one way he would get the answers... Since Nancy was done with classes for the summer she was back on days at the diner. That freed up his nights.

The next day he called Abby and asked her out to dinner. She grinned from ear to ear when she saw the candle-lit tables.

On their second date he took her for another nice dinner before going to a theater that showed classic movies. Casablanca was playing and she was cuddled in his arms with a tear trickling down her cheek as Bogy spoke his immortal words, "Here's looking at you, kid."

Abby loved being with him but by their fifth date she knew she was right in the first place...he wasn't ready for a real relationship. There was an underlying reluctance to get intimate on his part. Either she just didn't turn him on, which she really didn't believe, or he was scared. It was during the ride home from their sixth date that she released the bombshell...

"Tyler, I've really enjoyed our time together, I really mean that but..."

Suddenly Tyler felt his heart sinking lower in his chest. He really liked Abby a lot but he was taking his time—being cautious—trying not to get too close until he was more sure and now, Just as he feared, it was happening again. He didn't say anything. He just let her continue.

"But I think we should cool it for a while."

"May I ask why, or don't I want to know."

She picked up on the curtness in his voice right away. "Please, Tyler, don't be angry. I've had a wonderful time being with you. It's just that...I...I don't think you're ready yet. At first I was glad you didn't try to get me into bed on the first date...maybe even the second, but we've been going out for two months now and, other than an innocent goodnight kiss, you haven't even touched me. I don't blame you. It took me years before I started to date again. I think I pushed you into something before you were ready. I'm sorry. I hope you don't hate me."

Abby misread his silence. In her own mind she knew that she had blown it with a man she could easily love. She should have given him more time. She should have listened to the little voice in her head instead of listening to Susan, she berated herself.

In reality Tyler's silence was the result of him battling the demons that raged within him. He didn't want to have sex with her. What he wanted to do was make love to her, but he was scared. What if he let his guard down and allowed his feelings to come out? He could almost feel his heart pumping, racing blood through his veins as he battled the monsters of mistrust and doubt.

Neither of them had spoken another word until Tyler walked her to her door. When she turned to face him he wanted to say something but before he had the chance Abby moved her head to one side and stretched to give him a simple peck on the cheek. She looked into his face with a sad smiled.

Tyler started to speak but she didn't want to make things any harder than they were. She pressed her finger to his lips. "Shhhh, it's okay, Tyler. I understand...really. You be good, you hear me," she said as she fought back tears.

Tyler watched as she turned to enter her apartment, but just as she stepped over the threshold she felt a hand on her arm. She gasped as she was twirled around and trapped in a strong embrace. Before she realized what was happening she felt his lips against her own.

"I'm a big believer in listening to your gut and right now mine is telling me if I let you walk through that door I'll regret it for the rest of my life," he told her as he broke the kiss.

Abby was so startled at the passion in his voice it took her a few seconds to get her breath back. "Then take me to bed," she whispered.

Tyler reached down and swept her up in his arms, kicked the door shut and started for the bedroom.

For the first time in many years Abby was going to need no artificial lubrication. Her body's natural functions already had her wet with anticipation.

Tyler entered her room, knelt down and gently laid her on the bed. Her pulse quickened as he undid her blouse one button at a time, then laid it open and smiled at the delicate lace of her dainty, front clasp bra. He wasted no time in baring the silky white mounds of her breasts. He could feel her breathing deepen as he tenderly kissed her exposed flesh.

He could hear her short, breathy whimpers of lust as he worked his way down her soft skin. She closed her eyes and arched her body to give him room as he removed her skirt and panties.

Tyler stood and looked down at her naked form as he began to get undressed. Her firm breasts rose and fell with every raged breath. She watched with desire as he removed his shirt. Inadvertently, she bit her lower lip as he reached for his belt buckle. She felt a tingling between her legs as he pulled his pants off and a big grin stretched across her face as his rock hard cock literally sprang from its confines and stood with reverence to her nakedness.

"OH, GOD!" she cried at the first feel of his tongue. Her eyes closed, her head pulled back, she reached down to feel his thick head of hair. Only seconds later her entire body convulsed with her first orgasm.

"I need you," she gasped. "I want to feel you inside me."

With her eyes still closed she could feel him climbing on the bed. Anxiously she reached down and felt for his steel. It felt so good, so strong in her hand. Quickly she guided it to the wanting entrance of her vagina. Complete ecstasy enveloped her soul as he slowly slid his manhood inside.

As if dropping from heaven, soft gentle kisses rained down on her neck and breasts. Her body trembled as his tongue touched her sensitive nipples. Again, a stronger, more intense orgasm electrified her senses and she cried out for her man. "Oh, Tyler!"

A state of euphoria swept over her body. Abby's breathing was becoming more rhythmic but her eyes were still wild with passion. "Come for me, baby, come for me," she cried.

Tyler could feel himself building to a climax. It had been a long time since he'd felt like he did and he couldn't hold back any longer. Her words forced his release. With one more powerful stroke he drove his cock into her ravenous entrance.

"Yes, yes," she screamed. Reaching up and wrapping her arms around his neck she pulled him down and tightly held on while their bodies shared the rapture. He could feel her milking his cock of every drop of love juice.

After a minute Tyler tried to take his weight off of her but she held him close and wouldn't release her grip.

"No," she said, "stay right here. Don't take it out."

He kissed her and indulged her wishes but they could both feel him shrinking.

"Awww," she moaned as it popped out.

As it turned out, it was only the first of three times she would feel him inside her.

As they lay in each other's arms Abby wondered if it was too early to tell him how she felt. She didn't want to scare him but after the passion they'd just shared she couldn't help herself.

"I've never fallen in love with anyone this quickly," she whispered. She looked him in the face to see his reaction.

Tyler was grinning from ear to ear. "I feel the same way," he said.

"Are you sure? I've been divorced for a long time but it hasn't been that long for you. Are you sure of how you feel; you're not just saying that because you're lonely?"

"This isn't our first date, Abby. I've had plenty of time to examine my feelings. It's true, I was afraid to share them but when you were ready to call it quits I knew what I had to do. I love you."

For the next couple of months they were together almost every night during the week but he still had the kids on alternate weekends. Several times they talked about her joining the three of them and doing something together but neither of them knew how the kids would react to seeing them together. Abby was more reluctant than he was. There was no way she wanted to create any tension between Tyler and his children.

This was of course new territory. There had been a lot of that over the past year. He knew Nancy hadn't dated at all since he left and he wondered if the kids would resent him for it; would they resent Abby; would they consider it a betrayal?

The problem was, things between he and Abby were getting more serious and he couldn't keep it hidden forever. He decided to take the bit in his teeth and told Abby about it.

It was a beautiful sunny Saturday morning and he had promised them they would spend the day at the zoo. As usual, Chris road in front with his dad and LeAnn was in the back.

"I'm going to make a short detour," he told them. "You guys remember Abby? You met her at Mrs. Cermak's welcome home party."

"Yeah, sure," Chris replied.

"She's pretty, daddy," commented LeAnn.

"Yes she is, honey. Anyway I asked her to come with us. You guys don't mind do you?"

The first encouraging reply came from the back seat. "No, she was nice."

Chris' response wasn't quite as fervent. "I guess not."

Abby nervously waited and almost got cold feet when she saw them pull into the lot. She took a deep breath and walked out to greet them. Tyler met her half way.

"Well?" she asked anxiously.

"They're fine, don't worry," he assured her. He started walking her to the passenger side front door.

"I'll sit in the back with LeAnn," she said. "I don't want to take Chris' seat."

The day went well. Everyone had fun but they didn't want to push it so Tyler dropped Abby off at her apartment before taking the kids out for dinner.

Once again, out of the mouths of babes...

"Daddy, is Abby going to be your girlfriend?" asked his daughter.

"Would that be alright with you?"

"Yeah, I guess. I like her."

"What about you?" he asked while looking over to Chris.

He shrugged his shoulders and kept looking down at his food. "She's okay," he said with no enthusiasm.

Tyler let it drop. He wasn't going to force anything. Abby would join them periodically on the weekends and hopefully Chris and LeAnn would both warm up to her.

Nancy was watching TV when the kids came bounding in, that Sunday night. She rose from the couch and greeted them with a big hug. "So-did you guys have fun?"

"Yeah, yesterday we went to the zoo," LeAnn told her. Then without thinking-"Dad's got..."

"Shhhh," Chris stopped her with a light jab of his elbow.

LeAnn stopped in mid-sentence but the cat was already out of the bag.

Nancy looked confused and glanced at Chris. "What? What does your dad have?"

"Nothing," he replied.

She looked back at LeAnn. "Tell me, what does your father have?"

"N...nothing, mom. I...I shouldn't have said anything. I'm sorry. Just forget I said anything."

Obviously the kids were trying to protect her from something—something their father had. It could only be one thing. "Your father has a girlfriend? Is that what you were going to say?"

They both looked at her with sadness.

Nancy didn't want the kids to feel any worse than they already did so she maintained a brave façade. Inwardly; however, she was dying. "Look, guys, it's only natural that your father is going to see other women now. It's okay, believe me," she assured them before sending them to bed.

A little later; however, after the kids were asleep, she sat in a darkened corner of the living room and suffered with the knowledge. He now had someone else who felt the softness of his kisses; who felt him inside of her; maybe even as she was sitting there, he was making love to her.

As her tears fell, her resolve strengthened. He still loved HER, he still loved his family and he would find his way back to them. A girlfriend might be a set-back but in the end, she will win him back, she had to. She loved him too much to lose him forever. Life couldn't be that cruel...it just couldn't.

Over the next few months, Nancy heard a lot about Abby from the kids. It seemed she was spending more and more time with them on the weekends. Still, she would not give up hope. In her heart she still knew that he would come back to her.

It was an unseasonably cold Sunday evening in early September. Some who believe in that kind of thing would have said it was a bad omen. Instead of dropping the kids off in the drive, Tyler accompanied them inside.

Nancy noticed the serious look on his face the moment he walked in. She greeted the children with a kiss and hug like she always did when she hadn't seen them for a couple days but that night it felt as if they hugged her back a little tighter than usual.

"You kids go get ready for bed now while I talk to your mother," Tyler told them.

There were none of the traditional protests or hemming and hawing. They both scampered up the stairs as if they'd been previously instructed. Nancy was getting a very bad feeling; something was up.

"Got any coffee?"

"Yeah, sure," she replied.

He started talking right after taking his first sip. "Nancy, I know you've been holding on to the hope of you and me getting back together but it's not going to happen. If I lived to be a hundred I don't think I could ever explain the pain I felt when I found out about you and Kevin. I loved you with all my heart, Nancy. I still do love you; I probably always will. But I could never be with you again. I have to move with my life and so do you."

"Tyler, I would never..."

He raised his hand. "Please, let me say what I came to say."

Again, Nancy felt as if the entire world was collapsing in around her. She could feel every beat of her heart and she was having difficulty breathing.

Tyler continued. "I'm sure you've heard about Abby from the kids. She's a wonderful woman. I love her and we're going to be married."

Nancy gasped and tears immediately overflowed her eyelids.

Tyler hoped that time would ease her pain, after-all, they hadn't lived together in over a year. He held her hand and tried to calm her down.