Hero's Lament Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Nancy finally had to accept it; they were never going to be a family again. She dried her tears and waked him to the door. As they said their goodbyes she glanced out at the car and saw a shadow in the front passenger's seat.

"Is that her?"

"Yeah, she's waiting for me."

"Wave her in."

"Ah, I don't think that's a good idea, Nancy."

"I'll be nice, honest. I just want to congratulate her."

Tyler stuck his head out the door and motioned with his hand for Abby. She had no idea what to expect as she got out of the car but she trusted Tyler and knew he wouldn't invite her into a bad situation. As soon as she walked through the door she saw that Nancy had been crying.

"Nancy wanted to meet you, honey."

Tyler's use of the endearing term was like a knife through Nancy's heart.

"How do you do," Abby said while stretching her hand out. "I've heard so much about you from your kids. You've done a fantastic job of raising them."

Nancy forced a smile and took her hand. "Thanks. I...I wanted to congratulate you. You're, ah..." she was valiantly fighting back her tears, "You're getting the best man I've ever met or ever hope to meet."

Nancy was losing the battle and didn't want to break down in front of them. "And now if you'll excuse me she said and she turned and headed for the kitchen.

Abby looked up at Tyler. "Let's go, babe. She needs some time to be alone."

Tyler nodded his head. "We're taking off," he called out. He had no idea what else to say. He'd pretty much said it all.

When Chris and LeAnn heard the door close they both came down and heard their mother crying in the kitchen. They draped their arms around her to give her comfort.

"It'll be alright, mom," Chris told her. "Dad found someone, you will too. You'll find somebody to love again, I know you will."

***

Shortly after meeting Nancy, Abby visited Susan. "I felt so sorry for her," commented Abby. "She was in so much pain."

After their visit, Sue sat back and savored what her friend said about her former neighbor. She poured a glass of her favorite wine and held it up as if proposing a toast. With no one around to hear but herself, she gleefully spoke aloud, "God, how I love it when a plan comes together," then broke out in hysterical laughter.

Epilogue:

Tyler and Abby were married in June of the following year. Susan served as the bride's maid for the small, intimate affair. Though she was invited, Nancy didn't attend.

After completing her studies, Nancy got a job as the personal assistant to Mr. Jacobson, the V.P. of a large video game distributor. He was demanding and not too pleasant of a person. Nancy hated working for him. She hated the job itself and not a day went by that she didn't wish for her old life back.

Chris' prophecy that she'd someday find someone else to love never did come to pass. She lived for her kids and wanted nothing more for herself than to watch them grow and prosper. In her own mind, she had it all and lost it. She never forgave herself.

The End.