Hey, Aren't You....

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
komrad1156
komrad1156
3,794 Followers

"Yeah, yeah. Keep talking, old man," he said.

"You're turn's coming. You'll be 25 this summer and then you'll see," Dax teased.

"Oh to be 25 again!" Olivia mused.

Dax smiled then said, "If you didn't have two beautiful daughters around my brother's age, I'd have thought you were possibly fishing for a compliment because you might be all of 30 or so. But...you've gotta be at least my age, right?"

More polite laughter followed and Olivia said, "Um...yes. At least."

Both couples excused themselves and Troy, Senior, asked Alyssa if she wanted to dance and she was excited to join her grandfather where another couple were dancing to the music that was quietly playing in the background.

Dax saw that Olivia had a drink so he grabbed a glass from one of the caterers who passed by and offered a toast. "To a beautiful new home?"

"I'll drink to that," Olivia said touching her glass to his.

"Your daughter really is very pretty. She's also very grown up."

"Thank you. She changed a lot when her mom died. She's doing better but she really took it hard. So did I for that matter."

"Would you mind if I asked what happened? If it's too painful...."

Dax shook his head. "No, that's fine. She had a tumor on her pituitary gland. By the time it started causing physical symptoms, it was deeply entangled and...."

"No, that's enough, Dax. I...I understand. I really am very sorry."

"So am I," he said. "But I've finally moved into the acceptance stage and thank goodness I have my daughter. We've become so close, you know? If there's any kind of silver lining to things like this, that would be it. I make sure to be home early every night and I spend as much time with her as I can." He smiled sadly then told her, "She worries about me a lot. Sometimes I wonder who's taking care of whom more."

"She's very sweet, Dax."

"How about you, Olivia? How are you doing? I know better than to ask if you've 'gotten over it' or 'moved on' or anything else people say who don't understand."

"Right. I never blame them or think they're being insensitive. They just don't know and I hope they never do. But I'm doing...okay. Much better anyway. It never gets easy, but with time it gets less painful."

"That's very well said," he told her. "I'd love to find someone again, but it's hard to imagine anyone as perfect as my wife. We got married during high school for um...well...obvious reasons." He nodded to where his father and daughter were dancing. "They say most marriages like that don't last, but ours was the exception to the rule. I loved her more and more as time went by. I don't know if anyone could ever replace her."

"No one can," Olivia offered. "There will only be one of her—ever. But that doesn't mean there aren't other women just as amazing in their own unique way. No, they'll never be your beautiful wife, but they can be equally special to you as long as you can let them be themselves." She smiled then said, "Listen to me giving relationship advice. Like I have room to be talking."

"It's hard, isn't it?" Dax said. "You can't just dive in. But every time you try dipping your toe in the water, it feels so cold and...wet."

Olivia laughed politely. "Oh, do I know exactly what you mean." She recounted her own struggles, omitting the part about the guy who 'shortchanged' her.

"I'm not saying this just to be polite, Olivia, but you're such a beautiful, interesting woman, you won't have any difficulty finding someone—assuming that's what you want."

"You know, I was going to say the same thing to you only substituting man for woman." Dax smiled as did Olivia before she continued, "I've seen a lot of good-looking men, and quite a very extremely handsome men, but I've only met a handful as attractive as you, Dax. Add to that your easy-going manner and that gorgeous daughter of yours...."

Dax chuckled quietly then said, "Gee, I was gonna say the same thing about you only substituting woman for man." Both of them laughed before Dax said, "Can I possibly get you something to eat or maybe freshen your drink?"

"I could probably eat a canape or two," she said leaving her glass behind. "I'm not much of a drinker, but I do like to eat."

Dax offered her his arm which she took then said, "Well, you'd never know it by your size 2 figure."

Olivia laughed then said, "Size 2? I think I'm starting to really like you, Dax Porter!"

He laughed then said, "Oh, okay. So you're a 4. Got it."

"Do keep talking!" she teased as they sidled up to the table with the hors d'oeuvres.

They talked about the renovation for a while as they munched on their snacks and then Alyssa came running up and said, "Dad! They playing that song!"

He stopped and listened and Olivia saw his face change expression. She also listened and heard, "You're only sixteen, but you're my teenage queen...."

"That was an oldie my wife and I kind of made ours since we fell in love when were 16."

"Come on, Dad. Let's dance, okay?" she said pulling him away.

"Duty calls!" he said as he headed off with his daughter leaving Olivia standing there with a smile on her face and a newfound sense of admiration in her heart for this loving, single father.

Her thoughts were soon interrupted by another member of the Porter family as Troy, Senior, approached her and said, "You're a very popular person, Olivia. I've been waiting patiently for the opportunity to talk to you again. Or for the first time—alone, I suppose."

Just like his two sons, their father had a very pleasant smile and just as Faith had said, he was still a very good-looking man.

"How's the remodel going? Is there anything for me to be concerned about? Can I help in any way?" he asked.

"No, not at all. In fact, I couldn't be more pleased. You've obviously raised two very talented, conscientious boys. I'm very happy with everything so far, but thank you for asking," Olivia told him truthfully.

"I'm glad to hear that. I'm also not surprised. Both of them really are fine young men. And I have to say I think the world of Katie. I know Troy has very strong feelings for her."

"She's a wonderful kid, too. I'm so proud of both of my girls, Troy. And Katie has very strong feelings for Troy, too. Junior, that is."

'Senior' laughed and said, "My ex-wife warned me not to name him after myself, but vanity being what it is I couldn't resist. Dax was nearly Troy but his mother wouldn't allow it then."

After a brief pause, Troy asked Olivia if she'd care to dance.

"That sounds lovely!" she said taking the arm he offered.

Sixteen Candles had just ended and a song Olivia didn't recognize was playing, but it was a slow song and she was pleased to learn the elder Porter was a very good dancer.

"I'm impressed," Olivia said when the song ended.

"Thank you. I took dance lessons after the um...divorce. I ended up enjoying it although I will admit to doing it with a mind to meeting beautiful women—like yourself, if I may say so," he told her.

"Being a good dancer is a resume enhancer in my book and you are most definitely a good dancer, Troy. Thank you."

As they walked off the floor, Troy said, "Not to be too forward, but I was wondering if perhaps you might like to have dinner with me sometime."

When they stopped, Olivia turned toward him and said, "That sounds very nice."

Something had caught his attention, and he not only stopped smiling but looked away. Olivia wasn't absolutely certain what he said because it was said so quietly, but she was pretty sure it sounded like, "Oh, great. Who invited the beached whale to the party?"

She turned and saw a woman who was likely in her mid-50s who was a fair amount overweight. The thought that he would say that about someone—anyone, for that matter—bothered her greatly. Perhaps there was more to the story she didn't know about that would justify something so crass.

"Would you excuse me?" he said without really looking at Olivia.

Troy made a beeline for the 'beached whale' who was with a balding, overweight man Olivia noticed for the first time. Within seconds voices got loud and seconds later, every eye in the room was looking their way.

"Our younger son invited us, Troy," Olivia heard the woman say. "If you have a problem with that, take it up with him, but I will not stay away from important events in my children's life, even when it means having to put up with the likes of you. Now if you'll excuse us, we plan to spend some time with Dax and Troy and his beautiful girlfriend."

The woman and her escort walked away from Troy, Senior, who was clearly angry at her presence, and it was also now clear this was his ex-wife. Moments later, she found her younger son and Katie just a few steps passed her former husband. Olivia watched them hug one another and once again, her thoughts were interrupted by someone named Porter.

"I guess our dirty laundry is being aired in public tonight," Dax said.

"Oh, hi Dax. Um, it's none of my business so you don't have to...."

Dax continued talking. "My mom gained quite a bit of weight after Troy was born and it never came off. I hate having to say this, but as far as I know that's the main reason my dad left her several years back." He turned to Olivia then said, "I love my dad dearly and he's the best general contractor I know, but unless there were other things going on he didn't tell us about, I have a huge problem with what he did to my mom."

She turned to Dax and said, "Do you really think that was the only issue? I don't know your father at all, but that seems so...."

"Shallow?" Dax offered. "Yeah. I know men are visual, but when you love someone you're supposed to love them unconditionally. If they cheat on you or abuse you, then sure, you need to get out, but you don't discard your wife of 25 years because she gains some weight."

Dax glanced back at his mom to make sure his dad wasn't bothering them before saying, "My mom doesn't like to talk about it because she hates saying anything negative about our dad to us, but she confirmed our suspicions a couple of times. She really tried to lose the weight and evidently did everything she could to keep our dad happy. I don't know the whole story and probably never will. I just know I'd never abandon the woman I love because of some physical change. I mean, if I went bald, and she made that a marriage-ending issue, I'd be devastated."

Olivia wanted to say there was clearly no chance of that happening in Dax's case, but she knew it was only an example. It touched her deeply to know he felt that way as one of her greatest fears had been growing old and no longer being found attractive or wanted. Weight had never been an issue for Olivia, but it was for many people, male and female, and the thought that this man would kick her to the curb for it disgusted her.

"Speaking of the devil," Dax said. His father was headed their way.

"I'm gonna go say hello to my mom and her new husband, Max." He leaned over and said, "He's just about the funniest guy I've ever met. My dad can't stand him, but he makes me—and Alyssa—laugh every time we're around him. I'll talk to you later, okay?"

Dax nodded at his father but didn't speak as they passed one another.

Troy smiled and said, "Sorry. I didn't expect to see my ex show up here tonight."

Olivia didn't respond and Troy didn't notice.

"So anyway, before we were so rudely interrupted, we were talking about having dinner, I believe."

Olivia looked right at him then said, "You know what? Maybe that's not such a good idea. I'd hate to eat too much and gain a few pounds and disappoint you. I uh, think I'll pass on dinner. Good night, Troy." She picked up her glass and walked away without further explanation.

Faith and David were now in the small circle around Max and Troy's ex-wife as were Dax and Alyssa, Troy, Junior, and Katie. There was a roar of laughter as Olivia walked up and stood between her daughters.

She saw Max look briefly at her and then stop talking. He turned her way and said, "Hey, aren't you Megyn...what's her name, honey?" he asked his wife.

"Oh, my goodness. You're not kidding," she said.

There was polite laughter from the entire group before Dax piped up and said, "She's not, but you're not the first—or the second or even the third—person to ask." He walked over beside Olivia and said, "Mom? Max? This is Olivia Roberts or 'Mom' to Faith and Katie."

"Oh, of course!" Dax's mother said. "Oh, my. Now I see the resemblance. All three of you are just gorgeous. And that hairstyle! You really do like her, you know." She smiled then said, "Sorry. I'm Sherry. Sherry Winslow. And this is my wonderful husband, Max."

Max bowed in an exaggerated manner which made Olivia smile then curtsey in response.

"I'm pleased to meet you both," she said. "And I see where your two boys get their good looks."

Sherry smiled and waved off the compliment. Unknown to Olivia, Troy, Senior, had walked up behind her and overhead the exchange. He snorted loudly and walked off.

There was an awkward moment of silence before Max said, "Okay, who dropped the turd in the punch bowl?" while making a face.

Everyone, to include Olivia, laughed. "He really is funny," she said leaning over to Dax. Even Alyssa was laughing and it warmed her heart to see this girl who'd been through so much having a good time. Olivia hoped she had no idea what was going on or why her grandfather walked away shaking his head.

Dax leaned over and said quietly, "Max has no off switch which you'd think would be annoying, but he's so damn funny you find yourself wanting to stick around so you don't miss the next line." He paused to listen to the next line, laughed, then told Olivia, "He thinks my mom hung the moon and treats her like a princess and that's good enough for me."

The music in the background was often drowned out by the noise of laughter and chatter, but it caught Olivia's attention completely when the first notes of what had been a favorite of hers since she was a teenager rang out. Her mom used to listen to it and tell her, "That's how love should be, honey. You should feel like you can't live if living is without that special someone."

"I love this song," she said quietly.

"Oh. Well...would you like to dance?" Dax asked surprising her.

"Dax, you don't have to do that. It's just a favorite of mine and...."

"Alyssa? Do you mind if I dance with Mrs. Roberts?" he said to his daughter.

She smiled up at Olivia and said, "No, of course not. She's really nice."

Olivia thanked her for her sweet words and accepted Dax's hand as he led her away from the group known as 'Fans of Max.'

The refrain was playing for the first time as Olivia put her hand in Dax's.

"I can't live, if living is without you. I can't live, I can't give anymore..."

"I haven't heard this for years. I thought it was a Mariah Carey song," Dax said. "Do you know who this is?"

"Harry Nilson first sang it but it was written by a couple of guys who sang for the group Badfinger. They did 'Baby Blue' and 'Day After Day'," she told him, but Dax hadn't heard of them, either. "Mariah Carey did a cover of it in 1994 and was a hit for her, too."

"Ah! Okay. Regardless, it's really beautiful," he said as he looked into her eyes.

Olivia looked back then looked away when Dax said, "So are you, Olivia."

He waited for her to look at him and when she didn't he said, "I've been waiting for an appropriate time to tell you that."

"Dax, that's very kind of you to say, but I'm...."

"Beautiful?" he said before she could finish. She finally looked at him again and he smiled warmly at her. "It's true. You are. And more importantly you're such a nice person." He smiled again then said, "Alyssa agrees with me so I can't be wrong."

"Ahh! She is such a wonderful girl, Dax. Your situation just breaks my heart."

"Mine, too," he told her. "I'd love for her to have a mom to step in and love her like her mother did, but it takes a very special woman to be willing to raise someone else's child."

She saw him glance over at his daughter who smiled and waved at them. Her daddy smiled back at her and once again, Olivia was moved by the way he loved his little girl who soon wouldn't be little anymore.

"I think you might be surprised what many women would do when it comes to a girl as sweet and mature as Alyssa. And don't sell yourself short, Dax. You would be quite the catch yourself."

The song was ending and as their eyes met, Dax leaned down and kissed her cheek.

"Thank you for putting up with my two left feet," he told her.

"I wasn't exactly paying any attention to your feet," she said very softly and quietly as she stared into his eyes again. "And...and thank you for dancing with me. That was very nice."

"Maybe we could do it again some...."

"Okay, folks! Listen up!"

Troy, Senior's voice boomed loudly over the room. "It's time to sing happy birthday to our birthday boy and see if he can blow out all those candles without anyone's help or an oxygen tank!"

There was some polite laughter and everyone looked their way.

"I believe the spotlight is on you," Olivia said moving away. "And I'd love to dance with you again, by the way."

Dax waved at everyone in a shy, unassuming kind of way as Alyssa ran over and grabbed his hand.

"Come on, Dad! You gotta make a wish!"

There was a humongous sheet cake on the island in the large kitchen with 30 candles on it along with the words: Happy 30th Birthday, Dax! with a two crossed hammers below.

Dax stood in front of it as everyone gathered around.

"Okay. What should I wish for?" he said looking at Alyssa. She was smiling happily waiting for her dad to make his wish. He turned around and looked at everyone then stopped at looked at Olivia for a full second and smiled.

"Okay! I made it!" he said before blowing from left to right extinguishing all 30 of the burning candles.

Everyone applauded and the catering staff began cutting the cake, handing the first one to the birthday boy. He thanked the young woman who handed it to her then turned around and found Olivia and handed it to her.

"What's this?" she said even as she took it.

He leaned in and whispered to her, "If you'll agree to go out with me sometime, my birthday will be the happiest in a very long time."

Olivia was so caught off guard she was speechless. No one else heard what Dax said, but everyone was looking at them. Not knowing what else to do, she smiled and said, "Well, thank you, Dax. I most definitely want you to have a happy birthday."

There was a round of applause even though no one knew why they were clapping.

Dax leaned back in and whispered, "I'm taking that as a 'yes', by the way." He backed up, smiled at her then said, "Let them eat cake!" followed by some loud cheers.

"One more thing!" Troy, Senior called out. "Our guest of honor will be opening presents in five minutes so eat up, folks!"

Dax was genuinely appreciative of every gift and thanked the giver sincerely each time. Some of them were gag gifts while others were serious. A couple were were very expensive. He'd seen Olivia place a card on the stack earlier and he'd saved it for last.

"Big things come in small packages, they say," Dax said to more laughter as he opened it.

As he read it, the smile faded from his face and people saw a tear welling up his eye.

"Wow," he said blinking several times. "This is...." He looked at Olivia then said, "This may be the nicest gift anyone has ever given me." Dax swallowed hard then said to her, "Thank you."

"What is it?" someone called out.

Dax managed a smile then said, "It's...personal." He smiled at Olivia again and mouthed the words, 'thank you.'

She smiled sweetly and mouthed 'you're welcome' back.

komrad1156
komrad1156
3,794 Followers