Home Ch. 06

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Nate, your mother died about thirty minutes before you arrived," Dr. Shepard said softly.

Nate just stared at her, tears welling up in his eyes. "No," he whispered to himself. "No. She just called me. Last night she was calling me."

"This would normally be a bout of ammonia with anyone else, but with her condition and the deteriorated state of her immune system-"

"Wait, what? What condition?" Nate asked, still gripping his mother's hand.

Dr. Shepard frowned. "Mr. Tennison, your mother had stage four lung cancer."

Nate stared at him dumbly. "C-cancer? No, there must be some mistake. My mother didn't have cancer. She would have told me."

"Mr. Tennison, I'm sorry to say that she did. I'd been treating her going on a year now. But about six months ago, your mother refused chemotherapy. I didn't recommend it but she said she had gotten all she wanted in this life and now left it up to God."

Dr. Shepard looked over to Nate, who was staring at his mother, with quiet sobs. He pressed on. "Unfortunately, your mother couldn't fight this battle any longer. I'm sorry. I thought your wife would have told you soo-"

"My wife?" Nate looked back up to him.

"Yes. Mrs. Addison Tennison? We called her after we couldn't reach you. She's here now. Or, she was a few minutes ago."

Nate was quiet again. All his color was drained from his face as he stared at his mother, unmoving.

"I'll give you a moment. I am very sorry for your loss Mr. Tennison. Adele was one hellova fighter." Dr. Shepard said before leaving.

Hot tears ran down Nate's face. "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry." He bent his head and rested his forehead against her hand, which he had yet to let go. He heard footsteps and looked up to see Addison, looking down at him mournfully. He knew he should have gotten up, should have throttled her. But he didn't. He just looked back at his mother.

"Why are you here?" he asked softly.

Addison smirked. "Because even though I never liked the old bat, she didn't deserve to die alone. You weren't here. You were too busy with what's-her-face."

"Shut up," Nate whispered.

"No," Addison sneered. "You were too busy. This time, you have no one to blame but yourself. She called you Nate. She needed you. And why is it that I knew about her cancer and you, her son - her prized baby boy - didn't?" Nate stayed quiet. She got closer, making sure every word stuck. "You were focused on you. Your pain. Your love. Everything has always been about you. And now look."

Nate didn't argue. She's right. I left you all alone and now you're gone.

"Whenever you're ready to really care about someone else for a change, call me."

And with that, Addison was gone. She was careful not to show her creeping smile.

--------------------------------------------------

Peyton almost jumped out of her skin when Nate came bounding in. She looked at him, startled.

"Nate?" she called out but he just stomped past her, up the stairs. Peyton frowned and got up to follow him. Nate was in his closet, rummaging through some old looking boxes.

"Nate," Peyton tried again. "What are you doing, baby?"

He ignored her.

"Nate-"

"I'm looking for any of my mom's stuff!" He yelled.

Peyton was taken aback.

"What's wrong? Why are you yelling?"

She was met with more silence. She was starting to get angry. "Nate, c'mon. Talk to me."

Nate sat up and looked at her ruefully. "My mom's dead."

Peyton's hands covered her mouth. "Oh, God. Oh, dear God. I'm so-"

"But you know what's killing me right now?" Nate said, cutting her off. "The fact that one of the last people she saw was Addison. Not me, her son, but Addison. Can you believe that shit?"

"What?" Peyton was confused. "Why was Addison with her?"

"And you wanna know why I wasn't there with her?" Nate continued, ignoring Peyton's question. "Why I blew off the woman that raised me? Because I was here. Trying to console you."

Peyton frowned. She walked over to Nate and tried to touch him, but he snatched her wrist and pushed her away.

"Don't touch me," Nate growled and turned away.

Peyton looked up at him, shocked. "Nate?

He turned away from her. "You should go."

Peyton felt her heart sink. "Wait, I know you're upset right now. I understand."

"You know what the kicker is though?" Nate said fiercely. "You don't even want to be here. I let my mom die alone for some girl who's doesn't even consider this to be her home! Ain't that some shit."

Peyton swallowed. He's upset. He doesn't mean it. She tried to touch his shoulder.

"Nate, please. I-"

Nate yanked his shoulder away. "Peyton, I want you to get your things and leave my house. Now. I'm not going to say it again."

"Nate, stop this-"

"I SAID GET OUT!" he yelled.

Peyton stepped back. She felt like he'd struck her. She turned and started gathering her things and quickly stuffed them into her old duffle bags. She could feel tears threatening to spill. Once she'd gotten everything, she turned and gave him one last look.

"I'm sorry Nate," she said quietly. "I love you."

She got only silence in response. It was a piercing silence, one that stabbed into her. She turned and left without another word.

--------------------------------------------------

The clouds looked different to Peyton as she sat on the bus. They looked darker. Eerie in a way. She hugged her duffle bag against her chest and stared up at the dark clouds as she rode the bus back to St. Michael's. It had been a while, and even though she was still reeling from her encounter with Nate, she was happy to be seeing her first family. She was happy, that was, until the bus stopped. She peered out the window and saw what was causing such dark clouds.

Fire.

A large building was burning, the flames dancing along its walls, growing and stretching to the heavens. Peyton saw that it was her beloved St. Michael's going up in smoke.

She hopped out of her seat and ran to the front of the bus.

"Let me out!" she screamed.

The bus driver quickly opened the door and Peyton bolted through, running a few blocks 'til she stood before the burning church. She could hear sirens in the distance. The air was thick with smoke and ash. The closer she got, the harder it was to breathe. She saw other people scrambling around her but it was like they weren't even there. It was like she was all alone, watching the orange and crimson flames slowly crawl along the windows and doors. Her eyes were watering but she didn't know if she was crying or it was because of the smoke. It didn't matter either way. She was mesmerized and terrified. She almost felt an urge to walk towards the fire, when she felt hands on her shoulder.

She turned to see Pastor Donovan. His eyes were bloodshot and he was in a robe.

"Peyton, my dear, we need to move back," he said frantically. "This smoke isn't good for us and the firefighters will be here any moment."

"It's burning, Pastor," Peyton said weakly. "What happened?"

"We don't know yet, child," Pastor Donovan was leading Peyton away as he spoke. "I just got here and saw this. God, help us all. But Jane-"

"What about Jane?" Peyton said quickly.

"We can't seem to find her," Pastor Donovan's face was grave. "She was staying late and we don't know where she is."

Before Pastor Donovan could say another word, Peyton threw off her duffle bag and ran towards the fire.

"Peyton!" The pastor cried out. "No!"

But it was too late.

--------------------------------------------------

Peyton stopped for a split second and thought.

She'd be in the kitchen! Or the in the back!

She ran towards the back of the church. The fire hadn't consumed this side yet, but it was quickly making its way though. The air was so thick now that it was hard for her too see. She began to cough. She saw the back door and kicked it over and over until it broke open.

"Jane!" she screamed and immediately coughed again.

She strained to see around but the smoke was too thick to view. She could hear sirens from outside. She felt around the walls and navigated to her old room. She kicked down the door and saw no one was inside. She let out an exasperated sigh. Suddenly, Peyton heard a loud crash from behind and turned to see a dark figure dash by. Peyton didn't think, but took off after them. She almost lost the figure, but saw them run through the door she had broken down earlier. The smoke was making her dizzy and she knew she had to get out. Now.

She ran after the figure and into the open air. She saw the dark figure hunched over, hacking and cracking out a lung. Peyton coughed heavily, as well, yet she slowly stepped towards the figure. She could see that it wasn't Jane. The figure turned out to be a man. He was a big guy, with a barrel shaped body and what looked to be salt and pepper hair. The closer Peyton got, the more she could see. His olive-colored skin was covered in soot and his grey eyes watered.

"Are you ok?" She rasped out to him.

The man looked over at her and grimaced. "What are you doing here? You're not supposed to be here. Ugh-" the man went into another coughing fit. Now that she was so close, Peyton could smell him.

He smelled of scotch. Cheap scotch. And something else, strong and familiar.

Is that... gasoline?

Peyton back up sharply and eyed the man. She was sure about the smell. The man looked up at her and glared.

"You weren't supposed to be here." he growled low and menacingly.

He was quick. The man grabbed Peyton's arm and tugged her towards him hard. Peyton drew her head back and slammed her forehead into the man's face before he could do anything else. She was briefly disoriented, but was able to push back from the man. He let go of her and gripped his nose and mouth.

"You bitch!" he spat out. "You stupid, fuckin' cunt!"

Peyton didn't wait to hear anymore. She turned and dashed through the smoke. She could hear some of the man's footsteps behind her. She was almost in the clear when she saw firefighters and policemen surrounding the burning church. She held in another cough and tried to look around. She spotted Pastor Donovan holding her duffle bag, looking around frantically. She crept low and quickly scurried towards him so no one would see.

When she was close enough, she stood straight and ran to hug him.

"I couldn't find her!" she cried out. "And there's some-"

"She's alive, Peyton!" The Pastor said, smiling weakly. "Jane! She'd gone home early."

Peyton was about to speak when she looked and saw the olive man emerge from the smoke. She looked at Pastor Donovan one more time. She grabbed her bag from him and hugged him tightly.

"Thank you," she whispered. She slipped away from him before he could say another word. She heard the pastor calling out to her and she pushed her way through the crowd. She didn't stop till she was back by the bus stop. She turned around and watched St. Michael's, the firefighters doing their best to extinguish the flames. The dark cloud had gathered and rain was beginning to fall. It was cold and icy on Peyton's heated skin. She had just enough time to catch her breath when the bus rolled up next to her and the door opened.

"You getting on, ma'am?" the bus driver called out.

Peyton nodded and got onto the bus. She paid her fare and looked at the driver.

"How far is the nearest Greyhound?" she asked sadly.

"Not too far," she answered. "We have stop by it. I'll let you know when we get close."

"Thank you."

"You taking a trip?" The driver asked pleasantly. "Going home perhaps?"

"No," Peyton said. "I'm not sure I have a home anymore."

12