How I Met Paula Billings

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

She was going to tell me a different lie after the files had been removed from the laptop. The sale of the laptop and the trip to Mexico forced her hand and squeezed her out of my life. She hated what she had done to both me and her. She had not known that I knew what was going on. The pencil neck geek was just a phone number that she could call if she needed help.

I listened to her story and she listened to mine. Just the two of us face to face. She never realized how her actions affected me even after she had gone.

Her mom had conveyed my thoughts and feelings accurately and Paula had understood them amazingly well. There was enough pain for both of us.

When Paula excused herself to the ladies room Madelyn approached me and asked, "Just between you and me, how much did you lose when you sold the laptop just to get it away from you?"

"Sorry, I don't do just between you and me. If this topic isn't up front and include Paula, I'm not interested."

"Oh very well, I will tell Paula. Now how much did you loose?"

"I had to sell it secretly. Probably a couple of million, maybe more, or less, I don't know." (I might have fudged just a tad bit on the value)

She looked me straight in the eye and asked, "Would you accept a check for a million to compensate you for the diminished value of your laptop and its contents?"

"Yes. Are you feeling guilty?" I asked. "That million will buy you absolutely nothing."

"Oh Jack, you are wrong. It will buy Paula and I place to start to rebuild her life. You have no idea how changed she is since learning about herself through your eyes. I'll cut you the check as soon as I get back to Chicago."

I left before Paula returned from the ladies room.

It was the next week.

"Jack, meet the courier in the front office please."

I signed for the envelope and examined its contents, a single page letter on fancy stationery.

"Dear Jack;

Your check can be picked up in person at the Bacladeau residence in Chicago. Plan on a two day stay.

Call the enclosed number today and a car will pick you up at 9:00 am on the third of next month. Pack light.

Most sincerely

Madelyn Bacladeau

OH SHIT! Just when I thought I was done with Paula and her mom, now I have to go into their lair to get the promised money. Maybe I should just walk away. My life is pretty good right now and I'm not sure that I need the aggravation of dealing with those two.

I was curious as to what kind of theatre they had waiting for me in Chicago. Maybe I did want to see Paula again. And a million bucks IS a million bucks.

I called the number.

Just before 9:00 am on the 3rd, a Ford Expedition limousine arrived. The young lady that came to the office was dressed like a classy personal assistant. She sat in back with me enroute to the private terminal at the Narrows airport. We chatted pleasantly about nothing in particular until the door opened and the driver stated, "Sir, we are here."

I got out of the big Ford and headed for a private charter jet. A uniformed stewardess appeared at the top of the steps. She wore slacks and a blazer, no mini skirt or cleavage showing. My first impression was that she must be good at her job.

As she took my overnight bag she said, "Welcome aboard Jack. I'm Sharon and I am your cabin safety crew as well as our comfort specialist. Sit back, relax and enjoy the short ride to Chicago."

Sharon closed the door and spoke quietly to the pilots as the engines started. We buckled up and within ten minutes we were leveled off and Sharon had served coffee.

Sharon was closer to fifty than thirty and she was a joy to talk with and listen to. She had some good stories. By the time we got to Chicago I wished we were going to Paris. What a delightful lady.

The guys upfront greased the landing and pulled up next to a smaller terminal. Sharon opened the door and put down the short stairs.

She said, "I'll get your bag. Mrs. Bacladeau is waiting just inside."

"Well it didn't take long for mom to arrive," I thought to myself, "It must be Show Time."

As I entered the terminal her greeting was warm and friendly. "Welcome Jack. I am pleased to see you. I trust your flight was good?"

"It was great. No TSA, no crowds in the waiting line. A comfortable seat and the company was superb."

Mrs. Bacladeau got right to the point, "I have a small confession to make. I have an ulterior motive for inviting you here today. I'm sure that you figured that out already. I want to be upfront and transparent with my intensions.

I want you to see Paula in a new light. Give her a chance. Try and see her as a fresh new person. Would you do that for me? And for yourself? And for Paula?"

She didn't wait for an answer. She stepped up close and put her arm around my waist. There was a small hug in there someplace.

"Come and meet Nancy and Albert. They will be your escorts for the time being."

The limo dropped Madelyn off and Nancy and Albert took me to get a hair cut, shave and a pedicure. I wasn't sure that I needed all that but it felt good and I saw their plan.

New boots, new riding boots.

At their apartment, Al had a new set of clothes for me. It seems as though we are going horse back riding, English style.

We arrive at the stable and met a small group of riders. Al said, "Mount up please" and we were off. My stirrups were adjusted perfectly and my mount was well mannered.

About two fields later we come upon several other riders that joined us. They were all dressed the same and we headed into some fenced lanes.

I figured it must be a riding club.

"Let's gallop," came the cry from Al who was in the lead position.

I became aware of a rider just to my left. When I looked over I saw Paula's smiling face. We rode side by side for and bit and then she dropped back.

We took the long way back to the barn and when we dismounted everyone came by and introduced themselves. We talked about riding as we turned the horses over to the stable crew. Pretty deluxe. I always had to do my own currying and tack.

Paula came over and said, "Hi. I'm glad to see you."

"You're looking well", was my sincere reply. At that time Albert and Nancy told everyone to get into the limo as we were going to the gun club.

The girls changed out of their riding clothes and into their shooting togs right in the limo as we drove. They all had their very stretchy tights on so it was just the outer layer. Still it was sexy just to watch a bunch of fit young ladies change clothes right in front of you.

That was almost worth the jet ride just to see.

The gun club was very well kept. I was given a Model 870, just like I had at home. Paula was two persons ahead of me in the rotation. She was using a Browning auto load, what a beast.

I watched her. I listened to her giggle. I alone had been given a deluxe pair of Walker Muffs (electronic ear protection, just like I had at home. I didn't think that Paula was that observant). I dialed up the volume on the right ear to amplify her giggle. I was also trying to eavesdrop, but just listening to her chat and giggle with Darby was satisfying.

I was alone with my thoughts and they drifted to visions of Paula and I while we were dating. I had fallen so hard in love with the lady that it hurt to be away from her. That made her betrayal even more unbearable.

But time seemed to heal some of my loss and I was seriously looking at Paula like a new person. I hated to be manipulated by her mom, but I knew that I could leave at any time. Madelyn had been upfront with what she was doing.

The limo took Albert, Nancy and I back to their apartment. When I came out from my shower, A dinner jacket and matching pants were on the Valet's chair. An off white shirt and dark blue tie completed my outfit. The patent leather loafers fit perfectly.

Damn, Madelyn must have spent a bundle on shoes for me.

We were invited to a cocktail party at the Bacladeau residence and our ride was waiting.

Al had gotten into the back seat of the Town Car first. When I followed Nancy onto the fine leather seat, the fact that her pantyhose was sheer to the waist became evident. Damn, it's always nice to see a bit of unexpected leg/thigh.

I wouldn't call it a mansion, but the residence was substantial. There were lots of singles, some couples as well as Madelyn and Paula. Every conversation that I got involved in was a winner. Of course I practiced my listening skills most of the evening.

Paula did not cling to me nor did her mom. One of them was always in view and not far off. They would check on me and than circulate to other guests.

When Paula was checking up on me I put my arm through hers and asked her, "Paula, please stay."

She beamed up at me and joined the conversation. We held hands and she nuzzled into me until dinner was announced.

Dinner was by placard. I was seated between Sue and David. Paula was across the table and down two chairs. I watched her. Our eyes met several times. One time she smiled and winked. I returned the gesture.

After dinner we retired to the den. David played the violin and Sue played the cello. Kathleen played the violin and I don't remember his name played the viola.

A live string quartet right here in this amazing house. Now I know how the rich people live.

The music was lively and some pieces were even familiar but I was running out of steam. An early start from the west coast, some jet lag, a little bit of anxiety over this whole thing, horse back riding, trap shooting, drinks, dinner now more drinks and music.

Madelyn read my condition and put her arm through mine and whispered, "Your things are in the guest bedroom. If you come with me I'll show you where it is so that you could retire at your leisure".

I took her up on her offer. As my head hit the pillow I half wondered if I would have a guest in bed with me in the morning.

I woke up alone to the smell of coffee and bacon. Two of my favorite morning smells.

My clothes were laid out on the dresser and it looked like cycling apparel. I showered and donned the perfectly fitting outfit. I headed down the hall in another pair of nice fitting shoes.

The kitchen was full of individuals all dressed in riding attire. The friendly chatter and bustle of people made the familiar sounds of family welcome to my ears. Bacon was the predominant smell followed easily by coffee and toast.

One of Paula's friends Darby, bumped me from the left side and gave me a cheery "Good morning Jack."

From across the bright room Madelyn gave me a smile over her coffee cup (not a mug, a cup and saucer).

Paula was headed my way with a muffin and a mug full of perfectly altered (I assumed) coffee.

Most of my life is occupied with thoughts. That is, multiple words to describe a situation or a solution. I don't often feel, but I was quickly washed over by a good feeling. My neck got warm and my face flushed.

I felt included. I felt good.

I think that it is true that you fall in love with someone when you are away from them. Madelyn had orchestrated this weekend perfectly. I didn't know whether to curse her or thank her.

The events of the last few months had changed my perception of Paula. She was no longer the perfect angel setting on an ivory tower where I had originally put her. If our relationship was to thrive, I had to see her as she really was; a flawed human being. Just like me. If she had just some of her mom's skills, I figured that we'd be alright.

We walked out to the carriage house and it was filled with bicycles and riders. Paula's mom rode a recumbent three wheeler because of some balance issues. The rest of us rode diamond frame two wheelers. We headed down to the Lincoln Park Zoo and rode along the water front. I rode near Paula most of the ride. We talked some but not continually.

Being next to Paula was easy and natural. I remember this was the way we were in the beginning.

At a comfortable view point the group stopped and Paula and I moved away a bit to talk.

Paula apologized for the last time saying that it was now up to me. She was sure that she had blocked out that part of her memory because it wasn't who she was or wanted to be. She was thankful that her mom had tracked me down and that I was with her at that moment.

There was a bit of a quiver in her voice as she said, "Here's my cell number, if you can forgive me enough to try again, call me. If not have a good life. I will miss you terribly."

As she went to leave I grabbed her bike and gently nudged her closer to me.

"Wait a minute, please." I whispered aloud.

I entered her cell number into my contacts and pushed the call button.

"What are you doing?"

"Paula, I'm calling you to tell you that I want you on that plane with me tomorrow."

Two bikes hit the ground as she rushed around and avalanched me with hugs and cryey kisses.

"There are two things that I've got to tell your mom. One, we live in Seattle and two; she has to make arrangements to visit her grand kids. She can't just jet in and upset their schedule."

Paula blinked through some tears and said, "Good luck with that one Jack."

Your plane is ready.

Madelyn walked arm in arm with me from the limo. She spoke softly, "You and I got off to a rocky start. I'm so glad that we were able to continue our dialog to get us to this point. I give you high marks for that.

I'm so sorry that Paula was injured in that accident but it seems that all is well that ends well."

I was curious so I asked, "What kind of an accident was it that injured Paula?"

"A cyclist ran her down one morning when she was jogging. The creep didn't even stop and help her up or see if she was alright."

I was startled as a thousand scenarios flashed through my mind's eye. I kept my mouth shut. I figured that I would sort that all out later.

Madelyn continued, "I also saw how you interacted with Paula and her friends. I know now what Paula sees in you. I want Paula to be happy and you make her happy. I know that she loves you and deep down inside of that injured soul that is Jack there also is love for my daughter.

There are some lines that I will not cross. My family is one of those lines. I knew that you were important to Paula so I would never take off my panties to get what I wanted from you.

But don't be too harsh on her for what she did, I think that, under similar circumstances, I might have done the same." A wink and a smile followed that comment. "Oh, and Paula has your check."

She wiped a tear from her eye and kissed my cheek longer than I expected.

Sharon and Paula were standing at the top of the stairs as I entered the Bombardier for the short ride to Seattle.

POST SCRIPT

Paula's mom just picked up the kids. They are going for pizza and then to an art gallery. Unexpectedly, I got to spend the evening chasing Paula around the hot tub.

If you ping my phone during a cold winter you'll get xx.xx° N, xxx.xx°W. The rest of the year I'm here at xx.xx°N, xx.xx°W. I'm not missing the 308 cloudy days at xx.xx°N, xxx.xx°W.