Kassandra, Woman of Mystery

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
jsmangis
jsmangis
432 Followers

She kissed me on the cheek and said, "I know it must look that way to you, but I don't know everyone. Over the years I have acquired a lot of influential friends, and from now on, they will be your friends too." Then she whispered in my ear, "Besides my friends, I have also acquired some enemies, but I will do my best to make sure that you never meet any of them.

As I pondered what Kassandra had just said, I recognized how similar it was to a line from Mario Puzo's 'The Godfather an it gave me a chill.

I was beginning to realize that she was a much more complex person than I first thought. I could see now how she used sex as a tool to help her deal with the insanity in her life, but also needed intimacy to make her feel human. I decided to ignore the subterfuge she was using to conceal her 'secret life', and just enjoy the time I spent with her. Perhaps not saying anything else to her about what I was thinking the best thing for me to do for now.

Later, when we were mounting my prints to the cream-colored matting and preparing mount them in the black chrome frames she had purchased, I could see the difference they made. I agreed with her that her choice of matting and frames enhanced my images and looked ten times better than the flat black plastic frames and white matting that the college's art store sold. I knew she was lying to me about the cost difference however, as she most assuredly paid at least twice as much at the camera store.

After we packed the photos in their frames back into the box, carefully placing the tissue paper and packing around them for protection, Kassandra said, "If you like, I can keep these in my safe until it's time for the exhibition." I agreed with her and followed her into her bedroom carrying the now full box. When we got to her bedroom, she slid open a panel in the back of her closet and revealed a safe door that looked like it belonged in a bank.

When Kassandra spun the combination lock's large dial back and forth six times, and when it 'clicked', she moved the large brass handle and opened the safe, I saw a dozen or more drawers that looked like the ones in a safety deposit vault, and three shelves that had various sized cardboard boxes on them. She rearranged the boxes to make room for my package and placed it in the space she had made. She closed the door and spun the dial on the combination lock.

After she replaced the 'hiding panel' and closed the closet door, she turned around and kissed me passionately. When she broke our embrace, she asked, "Would 'Toddy' like to play with 'Kassie'?" When I told her that 'he' did, she started undressing. I undressed as quickly as I could, and soon we both tumbled onto her bed where we made passionate love for the rest of Saturday. We spent all day and night Sunday in bed together except for the time we spent eating, bathing and relieving ourselves. We finally got dressed Monday morning after eating breakfast, and I left for class about 10AM.

Over the next two weeks, we 'connected' every two to three days, as our schedules allowed, but had coffee together every morning at 9AM in 'our' booth. On the Friday morning before exhibition, we were walking north on Halstead, to the School of Arts building with my photographs. When we reached the second-floor auditorium, I went into the office, and filled out the paperwork for my entry and was given an entry number tag (016) and told to attach it and my photographs to one of the presentation boards that were in the auditorium.

When we entered the auditorium, we saw three dozen easels with 4'X4' ½' thick black painted plywood boards on them. We walked up to one of them, and as I was trying to figure out what to do next, Kassandra reached into her purse and pulled out a measuring tape and pencil. She spent the next ten minutes measuring and put six marks the board, indicating where my photos should be placed.

Then she reached into her purse and retrieved a #2 Phillips screwdriver and a handful of wood screws. I watched in awe as she drove the six screws into the board, seemingly effortlessly. Then she opened the box containing my framed prints and used her pencil to print "Todd Magnussen #016" on the back of each of the framed prints.

Next, she hung one the prints on one of the screws. I finally caught on, and soon all six of my photos were hanging perfectly on the board. I knew what to do next, and pealed the backing from my entry number tag, revealing the adhesive and stuck it on the board above the center photo. While I was doing that, Kassandra had retrieved a white sheet from a pile in the corner, and as soon as I was done, she covered our work with it.

As we were walking out of the room, I noticed that there were five other easels covered with sheets the same as mine was. As we left by the rear entrance, she asked me, "Do you have a suit Todd?" When I told her I did, she said, "Good, Todd, tomorrow night is one of those times you should dress up in your 'big boy' clothes and have Vern on the corner shine your shoes. I'm certain that your work will be 'noticed' and you should look like you are as 'famous' as you certainly will be by the end of this evening."

I nodded and decided to wear the black suit my mother had bought for me when I graduated from SIU and have the man who cleaned hats and shined shoes on the corner of Webster and Halstead shine my black oxfords. As we were walking into our building, Kassandra said, "Pick me up at my door at six tomorrow evening. I need to visit the salon, so I will see you then."

I saw her to her door and went back to my apartment to get my dress shoes. I checked on my suit and dress shirt while I was there, and saw that they were still in the plastic covers from the cleaners back home since I hadn't worn them since I moved in. I took the bags off and let them air out, because they still slightly smelled of the cleaning chemicals.

I walked down to Vern's Shoeshine Parlor and Hat Shoppe and waited while he shined my shoes. When the old gentleman asked me where I was going, I told him about the exhibition. He asked me if anyone was going with me, and when I told him that I was escorting Kassandra, he said, "Hot damn Todd, you've got the finest lady in Chicago goin' with you. If your photos don't win first prize, your date definitely will." I smiled and agreed with the old man and realized that Kassandra would turn heads no matter where she went, and probably be one of the most beautiful women there.

At six on the dot I knocked on her door, and once again my senses were overwhelmed. Her hair was quaffed to perfection, and her makeup looked like it had been done like a Hollywood makeup artist. Her lips were a sultry dark red and matched those dangerous looking nails that had made their appearance again holding a black clutch.

Her dress was a black strapless number that pushed up her boobs and enhanced her cleavage to the point where it was distracting, and she wore a white ermine shawl around her shoulders. The dress hung to her mid calves but was split up her left side to where her panties would normally be showing (if she were wearing any), and I could see the lacy tops of her sheer grey thigh highs when she walked. The hose ended in black stilettos that made her only a few inches shorter than my 6' 2", and I had to take a deep breath to regain my composure.

How she walked so effortlessly down the stairs in those heels I do not know, but her left hand barely touched the inside of my right elbow on the way out of the building. When we walked out the door, there was a cab waiting, and the cabbie held the door open like a limo driver for us.

When we pulled up in front of the Art School, the driver opened the door for us, and immediately drove away as we were walking across the sidewalk. The attention we attracted when we walked through the door and up the curved staircase to the exhibition was probably ten times that of the day we 'surprised' Alfredo the day we made the prints that were on display this evening.

The first person to greet us at the top of the stairs was Professor Gerald Phillips, and his beautiful wife Yvonne. He shook my hand and said, "We are so glad to see you Mr. Magnussen, and I believe I know this lovely lady who is accompanying you." He took Kassandra's hand and kissed it saying, "So nice to see you again Kassandra, it has been too long."

My companion smiled and politely let go of his hand before walking over to his wife who was staring daggers and said, "Yvonne, you look lovely tonight, I wish I could wear a dress like that." And whispered something to the younger, bustier woman. When they parted, the professor's wife was smiling and seemed relieved.

As we were walking into the exhibition room, I asked Kassandra, "What just happened?"

Kassandra said quietly, "Gerry, Yvonne, and I have a 'history' and the current Mrs. Phillips is a bit jealous. I told her since I had you, I wasn't interested in Gerry anymore."

I smiled to myself and as I looked around the room I realized that on my arm was the most beautiful woman in the room.

We walked around the room looking at the photographs that were displayed on the easel supported boards that lined the perimeter, each with the name of the student/photographer and the entry number printed on a white card attached to the top of the easel. As we neared the end, I became concerned because I had not yet seen my photos.

As we got to the last easel, a woman's voice from behind us said, "Kassandra, is that you?"

As my 'date' spun around I saw her smile as she recognized the voice of someone she obviously knew. By the time I turned around, Kassandra was being hugged by an attractive woman with short brown hair wearing an emerald green floor length gown.

"Evelynn, what are you doing here tonight?" Kassandra asked the woman in the green dress.

The woman did a mock curtsey and said, "You are looking at one of the four 'celebrity' judges for the student photography contest. Our good friend Anne Geddes is the other woman and two has-been men are the other two. Why are you here Kassandra?"

Kassandra put her arm around me and said, "I am here accompanying the artist that created one of the entries into this contest. Evelynn, allow me to introduce Mr. Todd Magnussen. Todd, this is Evelynn Byrne, the curator of the photography department at the Art Institute of Chicago."

I was familiar with this woman's name but knew very little about her other than having seen her name on a plaque on the wall at the entrance of the photography wing of the Art institute on N. Michigan Avenue in the Loop. Anne Geddes, however, was a name I was quite familiar with as her photos of babies and very small children were world famous.

Ms. Byrne shook my hand and said, "I'm glad to have made your acquaintance Mr. Magnussen. How do you know Kassandra?"

I answered, "Thank you Ms. Byrne, it's a pleasure to meet you. I know who you are because I often visit the Art Institute and have seen your name on the wall there. Kassandra is my neighbor, I live in the apartment directly below hers. She has also been helping me improve my skills in the darkroom."

Evelynn smiled and said, "Oh, so you are a contestant in this contest, which one of these 'masterpieces' is yours?"

I answered, "I'm afraid to say that my entry is not among those on display in this room. I find this troubling because I filled out the paperwork and was given a tag with the number '016' which I affixed to the top of the mounting board. When I left here yesterday, it was in this room, covered by a white sheet."

I witnessed Ms. Byrne's expression change from passive to surprise, and then a big smile as she said, "Mr. Magnussen, your entry is not being displayed on the main floor because it was chosen by myself and the other judges as a finalist early this afternoon, and is currently one of four that are behind the curtain on the stage at the far end of the room."

She continued, "It became obvious to us that there were four entries in this contest that were far better the rest of the entries. There was also one of those four that was in a class by itself and was chosen unanimously by all six of us as the best of the lot. I think that we should move to the other end of the room, because I am sure that you will be invited onto the stage when the awards presentations begin in about ten minutes."

I walked toward the stage thinking, 'Even if I only get an Honorable Mention, that will assure me of an 'A' in Professor Phillip's class.' When I got to the 'front' of the room, I saw that the crowd in the room was filling the space behind me, with Kassandra and Evelynn standing on either side of me.

Suddenly, the room lights dimmed, and the lights on the stage got brighter. When the crowd quieted down, a gentleman dressed in a tuxedo stepped from behind the curtain and walked to the microphone on a stand in the middle of the stage, and said, "Welcome ladies and gentlemen. I am Eugene Debs Hartke, Chair of the School of Art, here at DePaul University, and I would like to welcome all of you to this evening's presentation of our School of Photographic Arts Annual Postgraduate Competition."

When the applause died down, Doctor Hartke continued, "I'm sure that you have all enjoyed viewing the works of our fine graduate students that are displayed in the hall, but we have saved the best for last." He then motioned, and the curtain opened behind him, revealing four easels behind him that were covered by white sheets. He continued, "Behind me are the works that were voted to be the four best creations by our committee of judges comprised of the department heads of our four Art Schools and four members of the International Art World. At this time, I will introduce you to our judges. First please welcome Doctor William Thompson, Chair of the School of Visual Arts for Photography." Dr. Thompson walked onto the stage and the crowd applauded.

Dr. Hartke continued introducing the heads of the Drawing and Painting School, the Sculpture and Ceramics School, and the Video and Filmmaking School, who all received applause from the crowd.

It was when the next round of introductions started that I noticed that Evelynn was no longer standing next to me.

Dr. Hartke started, "Now I would like to introduce our judges who represent the fields of endeavor that our students will hopefully be working in after they graduate. Please welcome Dr. Evelynn Byrne, Curator of the Photography Department of the Chicago Art Institute." The applause she received was much larger than the academics received before, and when it died down, he introduced, "The world-famous photographer of children, Ms. Anne Geddes." She also received a large round of applause.

The last two judges, a local quasi-famous portrait photographer named James Kusha who was most famous for his portraits of former Chicago Mayors (Dailey, Washington, and Byrne), and Dean Williams, a still photographer for television shows and film crews in the Chicagoland area (best known for his photos of Bozo the Clown), only received a smattering of applause.

Then Dr. Hartke said, "To presenting the awards for First Prize, Second Prize, Third Prize, and Honorable Mention, please welcome Professor Gerald Phillips, whose students are the participants in this competition." Dr. Hartke stepped away from the microphone as Professor Phillips took his place as the crowd applauded.

My professor started his remarks saying, "Thank you ladies and gentlemen. The photographs in this hall and on this stage represent the collective works of my students. While this is not a requirement for graduating my class, for all who submitted a project, it will be counted as half of the final grade they receive for this semester, and I am proud to announce that every one of my students participated this semester."

A cheer rang out from the crowd, and when it died down, the Professor continued, "While everyone will receive extra credit for their efforts, in addition, the creators of the works on this stage will also receive a grant from the Kodak corporation for their prize-winning efforts."

After a smattering of applause, as he motioned to the easel behind him at the left side of the stage and an assistant removed the sheet covering it, revealing eight black and white framed photos depicting older women playing with very young children. When he said, "The winner of the Honorable Mention prize, and a check from Kodak for $100 is Debbie Tuttle," a loud high-pitched scream could be heard over the applause, and I could see my friend Debbie running toward the stage.

When Debbie reached the stairs to the stage, she almost fell up them, and when she finally made it to the top, she had to pull up the top of her pink strapless dress, as her large boobs had nearly freed themselves from the elastic and lace that were struggling to keep them hidden from view. She accepted her prize and was escorted backstage by one of the assistants.

When the commotion died down, Professor Phillips motioned to the easel next to the one that had just been unveiled, and when his assistant uncovered it, eight black and white framed photographs depicting food carts and their patrons were revealed. He then said, "The winner of the Third Prize and a $250 check from Kodak is Carlos Hagene." As the audience applauded, Carlos, made his way to the stage with a much calmer demeanor than Debbie, and accepted his check as he shook Professor Phillips hand.

My friend walked calmly off the stage, and the Professor motion to the next easel and it'd cover was removed. When I saw the eight black and white framed photos of Karate students posing, practicing, and mock fighting, I knew who the photographer was. My friend Richard Gamboa was a Karate fanatic to the point he had named his Siamese cat 'Miyagi' after Pat Morita's character in the 'Karate Kid' movies. Rich was already on his way to the stage when Professor Phillips announced his name as the Second prize winner. He strode up to the stage like he owned the place and bowed to the Professor before accepting his $500 check. He bowed to the crowd, and quietly walked off the stage.

A hush fell over the crowd and the Professor played it to the hilt. Finally, he motioned to his assistant and the cover on the last easel was removed. Even though I knew that I had won First prize, it still shocked me when Professor Phillips announced my name as the winner of the First prize and the $1000 check from Kodak. I pulled myself together and made my way to the stage, while receiving pats on the back and handshakes from friends and people I had never met.

I really don't remember what I said to my Professor or what he said to me when I reached the stage. In fact, I really don't remember much of anything until much later when we were all drinking champagne at a reception in the backstage lounge. Kassandra was on my arm as we 'rubbed elbows' with people at the highest levels of academia, local politics, and members of the art community. When we got there, I noticed that Adam was standing very close to Debbie, and when I went to the bar to get two our glasses refilled, I saw Adam doing the same. I asked him, "So, you and Debbie?"

He grinned at me and said, "What can I say Todd, after that day downstairs we started talking and found out we had a lot in common." Then he leaned in close and whispered, "She loves my cock and I love her big boobies." Adam and I 'high fived' each other and went back to our ladies to enjoy the party.

Kassandra and I mingled with the crowd, and later, toward the end of the reception, I was talking to Kassandra and Evelynn when Professor Phillips walked over to us. During a lull in the conversation Gerald asked, "So Todd, your photographs are so much better than every other entry, what kind of paper did you use?"

That was when it hit me, because the check that was now in the inside pocket of my suit coat had been written by Kodak, it was probably unethical for me to accept it because we had not used their paper to make my prints. Before I could speak, Kassandra said, "Gerry, the rules of your contest do not specifically state what products you must use."

jsmangis
jsmangis
432 Followers