Lady in Red Pt. 03 Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"James, let's hurry up and get out of here. Gwen always became a bit demanding when she was a few months pregnant. Jason told me that Lisa was the same. I fear Stephanie is simply true to her genes. Naomi, you aren't pregnant, are you?" asked Steve jokingly.

"Not yet, but our trip is a long way from over," teased the beautiful woman as Steve groaned in response.

An hour later, Naomi, Steve, and James Hawthorne were sitting in Prime Minister Tony Blake's office, discussing the goals of the meetings to be held with Russia, China, and North Korea.

"We'll follow the lead of the US, up to a point," reasoned Prime Minister Blake. "We want a de-escalation of the situation, but we need to maintain our military positions until everyone agrees to pull back. I think you need to push for a multilateral withdrawal to positions held prior to June 1st, before this entire situation began."

"The President feels much the same," agreed Steve. "Secretary Carlton insisted that he pushed very hard for that very thing, but Russia, China, and North Korea wouldn't budge. I'm going to be insisting on a withdrawal. The world can ill afford to maintain the status quo. Any slight misunderstanding could result in war right now. We absolutely have to ratchet down the tension."

"Good luck, Naomi and Steve. James will be Britain's representative in these negotiations. He can't agree to anything major before consulting me, but his recommendations will be given a great deal of consideration."

Three hours later, Naomi, Steve, and James deplaned at De Gaulle in Paris. Once again, they were ushered through an out of the way gate. There were only a few reporters in sight and they were kept at a distance. Once again, Steve was met with a fierce hug and a quick kiss from a beautiful woman.

"Michelle! It's always good to see you," laughed Steve as he hugged the woman tightly.

"Gwen is now the president! Father will be going with you to bring peace to France and the world. I am so proud to be your friend!"

Steve gently withdrew from the embrace and then shook hands with former President D'Anjou as he greeted him in French. "Sir, it is always a pleasure to see you, as well as your shy little girl."

"Thank you, Steve. Some of my best memories involve you, especially that time in Moscow when you were so crucial to the success of those talks. My country has enjoyed a steady supply of energy ever since."

Steve then introduced Naomi and James Hawthorne.

"Gwen is so confident! If you were my husband, you would be traveling only with men, or very old ladies," chuckled Michelle as she greeted Naomi with a hug. "I would certainly not send you on a journey with such a beautiful woman!"

"These are the sacrifices I make for my country," quipped Steve as Naomi lightly punched his shoulder.

A short time later, Naomi, James, Claude D'Anjou, and Steve were meeting with French President Beauchamp. His goals were very much in line with those of Britain and the U.S. After a short meeting, the entourage left for Berlin.

Steve was mildly surprised when his group entered the VIP gate in Berlin. Once again, a beautiful woman was in his arms, welcoming him with a hug and not so brief a kiss.

"Hans and I are so proud of you both! I knew you were a special couple the first time I met you, but I never dreamed of this. I have so many stories to tell my children and grandchildren!" enthused Nadiya.

"Naomi! You will be Secretary of State and will travel with this handsome man? You are very fortunate. I was his girlfriend for an afternoon and it was your idea. Thank you so much for that memory."

"If you recall, my idea was for me to be his girlfriend for the afternoon," responded a smiling Naomi as she hugged her friend. "Somehow, I was replaced by some incredible blonde. I've never forgiven you."

"Hans! It's great to see you again," greeted Steve as he shook the tall blond man's hand. "Will you be escorting Naomi, James, Claude, and me to meet Chancellor Braun?"

"Not only that, but I've been selected to travel with you and represent Germany in these talks. The Prime Minister knows that we're friendly and has decided to promote me for this mission. She's eager to meet you formally."

Once they were shown into the Chancellor's private office, the group only had to wait a few minutes before Chancellor Braun strode into the room. Everyone stood immediately. Steve offered his hand, but the German Chancellor brushed past it and embraced the American warmly.

"I met you briefly in Paris years ago when you and your friends gave the most amazing concert I've ever seen. You performed from the top of the Arc de Triomphe under a full moon. The entire evening was magical. Now your beautiful wife is President of the United States and she has immediately given her warrior husband what may be the most difficult assignment of his career.

"Make no mistake about it. This situation is extremely tense. Between you and me, I never felt that your previous president had the necessary skills to avert this crisis. He was unyielding, yet he appeared weak and commanded very little respect from other nations."

"That's the same conclusion Gwen and I reached," agreed Steve. "Naomi and I have been instructed to find a way back from the edge. That's exactly what we're going to work toward. We'll need to be unified in this effort."

"I totally agree, although I have no idea how you can alter the apparent course of history. I truly hope that you manage to live up to the reputation you've garnered over the years, a fearless warrior willing to lay down his life for his lady and country. The video of you on your knees as that terrorist attempted to cut off your head, only to sever his own hand and then get decapitated by his 'helpless victim' is the single greatest example of 'never giving up' I have ever seen. Your resourcefulness and determination will be tested on this mission."

"I had held out hope that Lady in Red would someday perform in Berlin. You have many fans here. Now that your wife is president, that likelihood seems very small. Please relay to President Hammer that we would still very much like to have her visit our country while she is president," invited Chancellor Braun. "I can assure you that she will be warmly received, especially if her husband can somehow find a way to end the current tensions we all face."

Almost thirty six hours after departing Sparta, Steve and his entourage landed in Moscow. They were transported to their various embassies to rest, as well as to prepare for their scheduled meeting the following morning with Russian President Kozlov.

At nine AM Moscow time, Steve and Naomi, along with their allies, sat on one side of a large wooden table; while Kozlov, his aides, and interpreters sat across from them.

Once the formalities were complete, Steve spoke directly to the Russian leader in fluent Russian. "We are here for one purpose, President Kozlov. We want a peaceful resolution to the current situation. To cut to the chase, we are willing to accept a multilateral withdrawal from the present positions to those held the last day of May."

"Ha!" erupted Kozlov. "We proposed that very thing in mid-June, but your president would have nothing to do with it. If I accept this proposal now, my government will look weak. That solution is no longer an option, especially with the Chinese being so unreasonable.

"However, in the interest of peace, we will agree to withdraw once the American and other NATO forces have fallen back to their positions held in May, AND the Chinese and North Koreans have agreed to withdraw simultaneously with Russia. See how easily the situation can be resolved?" asked President Kozlov more than a little sarcastically.

"You are serious about this?" asked Steve, much to the surprise of Kozlov and the consternation of James, Claude, and Hans. "If the United States and the rest of NATO pull back to pre-June positions, you will withdraw your forces immediately?"

"Russia will withdraw, but only if China and North Korea have agreed to do the same," responded Kozlov. "Is this something you believe your country may consider?"

"The United States will consider any and all options to end this impasse before it escalates to war. Of course, the final determination belongs to President Hammer," replied Steve cautiously.

"I feel compelled to inform you that Britain is not likely to agree to this proposal," declared James Hawthorne, as Hans, and Claude echoed his sentiment regarding their respective countries. "And frankly, meaning no disrespect to Steve, I would be surprised if the even United States would accept this dangerous suggestion. We would be placing our countries at a serious tactical disadvantage."

"Regardless, that is the best offer I will make," asserted Kozlov. "Otherwise, we will continue to prepare for war. We cannot give up our positions when we are threatened on two fronts. Our superior military forces will be prepared for any eventuality."

"We'll be speaking with the leaders of China and North Korea. I expect to return within a few days with a concrete proposal," replied Steve calmly. "Meanwhile, consider your position carefully. I can assure you that if war breaks out, Russia will suffer greatly."

"All nations will suffer if it comes to war," agreed Kozlov. "But other nations will suffer more than Russia. We will see to that."

Once the group was airborne a few hours later, James Hawthorne moved to sit next to Steve. "I didn't mean to cut your legs off back there, but I felt compelled to state Britain's position. We can't allow Russia that sort of advantage in a potential conflict. You must understand that."

"I totally do. I also understand that Britain is in serious danger, regardless of how well your defenses are deployed. The same is true for France, Germany and all of Western Europe.

"I will not negotiate from fear," continued Steve firmly. "If we pull our forces back, we'll have to rely on our other weapons. It isn't perfect, but we'll be prepared to fight, and we'll expect to persevere. Let's see what China and North Korea are willing to do, shall we?" concluded Steve.

Back in Sparta, Gwen spent the first morning of her presidency reading reports and listening to various middle tier government officials explain what their particular agency was doing, hoped to accomplish, and reasons/excuses why it had not managed to attain its goals.

Lisa interrupted her just after noon. "Come and have some lunch. You need to maintain a healthy life style. Mom made some sandwiches and salad."

Gwen agreed and soon joined her friends and family in the kitchen of Valhalla. "Madam President...," began Jordan before Gwen cut her off.

"Jordan, please don't address me like that when we're in private. We're way too close to ever let my position harm our relationship. I need my friends and family to keep me humble and real. I didn't mean to interrupt you. I apologize. Please continue."

"Okay, Gwen," replied Jordan with extra emphasize on Gwen's name. "We had planned a fifth birthday party for Tim for Saturday. You told us that even though you were vice president at the time, you felt it was important for the kids to pursue their normal activities as much as possible.

"Now that you've managed a promotion, would you rather we scheduled the party for some other location? Our home is pretty close to yours and people will be curious. Security will have its hands full," stated Jordan.

"Please don't change your plans!"insisted Gwen. "Saint and Vicky are looking forward to it, as are a dozen or so other kids from Asgard, and a couple dozen more from Tim's preschool.

"I don't want to miss these important events in the kids' lives because I've somehow become president. Steve felt badly about leaving and having to miss the party. We know how much he looks forward to them.

"I know it won't be easy, but I'd really like to be a regular mom to the kids. It's not fair to them to have their parents taken from them, even for service to the country. I know military people often have to be away from their families, but I'm going to try to limit that as much as possible," promised Gwen. "Saint, Vicky, and I will attend Tim's party for sure. The kids are looking forward to it, and so am I."

Later that afternoon, Gwen met with Kate, Lisa, Paula, Ted, Julie and Jeff Wilson and Steve's grandfather, William Patterson. "Okay, let's go over the lists you drew up for my cabinet. We've got to move forward as quickly as possible."

"We decided to save some time by combining our efforts, and our lists," reported Lisa. "Two names kept coming up for VP. They were former President Rosen and former Senator Chatham. For cabinet and other posts, we have about twenty five names. I've had copies made and you can look it over at your leisure.

"Do you think Vince would be willing to return to public service?" asked Gwen. "I know how much Cynthia's death affected him. He spent almost two years taking care of her when she fell ill. During that time, he looked like he'd aged ten."

"He's been pretty reclusive since Cynthia died, but I'd think he'd enjoy having something new to keep him busy. It would help the healing. I didn't want to say anything to him until I found out if you'd be interested in having him as your VP," added Lisa.

"I like both recommendations. Senator Chatham did a great job when she was in the senate. Perhaps we could ask her to take a cabinet position if Vince will accept the vice presidency? Maybe even Secretary of Defense? She was chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee for a few years.

"Lisa, put out feelers to both of them. Try Vince first. If he's willing to return to public service, we'll ask Senator Chatham to be Secretary of Defense. If he isn't, we'll offer her the vice presidency," decided Gwen. "Thanks, everyone. I'll be going over the list later this afternoon and we'll meet again soon."

By one PM the next day, thirty three mothers, eight grandmothers, and thirty seven children were enjoying Jordan's hospitality as they celebrated Tim Burns' fifth birthday. All of the mothers were unsure about the proper protocol for attending a party with the President of the United States. It was the main topic of an anxious conversation as the group awaited Gwen's arrival.

"Jordan tried to put everyone at ease. "Gwen was tied up with some important issues, but she's on her way with Saint and Vicky. Please don't be all nervous and hesitant with her. She wants to be able to just be a mom and a friend when she's at the children's parties. Call her Gwen and talk about the usual things," she finished just as Gwen and her two kids entered the fenced in pool area.

"Hey, everyone! Sorry I'm late," apologized Gwen as she led her three year old over to play with the younger children while Saint sought out the bigger kids. "I made some potato salad."

As Gwen spoke, she set a bowl down on the table next to other food items. Then she placed several wrapped gifts down on an already impressive pile of unopened birthday presents.

The other mothers looked around at each other, wondering who was going to be the first to speak. Finally, Sandy Johnson Turner found her voice.

"It's good to see you, Gwen. You made your delicious potato salad? Great. Anything new in your life since the last time we got together?"

Gwen stopped, blinked her eyes a few times, and then broke into a huge smile. "As a matter of fact, there is. There's a great new shop on Second Street that carries all kinds of kids' toys, puzzles, and games."

Silence followed Gwen's statement for a few seconds before all of the ladies broke into loud laughter. Soon Gwen was the center of attention as all of the adults wished her success in her new position.

"Do you have any idea how cool it is to be at a birthday party with the President of the United States and we can call HER by her first name?" asked Laura Masters Watkins to the group in general. "My kids are playing with hers and she's a great friend. It's almost unbelievable."

"I just hope we can get over that and get right back to the same relationship we've always had," responded Gwen. "I need to be able to have friends who aren't trying to pressure me into supporting something, or opposing it. I want my kids to think of me as 'Mom' and not the President of the United States. I would really appreciate it if all of you treated me like any other friend."

"I guess we can treat you like all of our other billionaire friends that happen to be president," wisecracked Sandy Turner as she hugged Gwen. "Seriously, you make it so easy to like you that I don't think we'll have a problem with this presidential side job of yours, especially if you keep making your delicious potato salad!"

Soon the conversation was flowing and the other mothers began relaxing around Gwen. There were several Secret Service agents standing on the perimeter of the party area. They were close enough to be available if there was a problem, but remained removed from the conversation.

Everyone was laughing and enjoying themselves when seven year old Saint suddenly stopped playing Frisbee with Ruth Burns and Theresa Hunter and sprinted for the pool. He caught everyone's attention as he ran to the edge of the pool and without slowing down, dove into the waters. Just seconds later, he surfaced with a crying baby in one arm!

One of the mothers let out a scream as she ran to the pool deck where Saint had managed to place the child. "Jessica! Are you okay, Baby?"

The others sat in stunned wonder as the sobbing mother hugged the very wet two year old as she cried loudly. Of course the ruckus had drawn the Secret Service agents to the pool.

"Madam President, that son of yours was incredible," began the senior agent. "I saw the toddler fall and was trying to get here as fast as I could, but your boy sprinted over and dove in before I'd managed even a few steps. He may have saved that child's life."

"Thank you, Saint!" blubbered the infant's mother as she hugged the embarrassed boy while still holding her child on her hip. "That was amazing. You saved my baby!"

Meanwhile, Lisa, Kate, and Jordan shared knowing looks and slight nods. It was apparent that the boy was going to follow in his father's footsteps. It was obvious to all that the infant was fine, especially when she soon began happily playing with a toy sitting nearby.

"I'm amazed at how quickly he reacted and how well he swims," remarked another woman. "He's certainly a chip off the block! He isn't even eight yet."

"Steve has been spending a couple of hours a day every chance he gets with Saint. They swim, workout, run, and do all sorts of things together. My job is seeing that he learns the social graces, while his father works with him on the manly stuff," declared Gwen proudly.

"I hate to sound dumb, but how did you come up with the name 'Saint'? It's rather unusual," asked an older woman that had brought her granddaughter to the party. "I know I could probably Google it since you're so famous."

"That would be Kate's doing," admitted Gwen. "His name is Steven Theodore Hammer. Within a few weeks of his birth, we realized it was too confusing to call him 'Steve' since that's his father's name. Lisa started calling him 'ST', short for Steven Theodore. About a week later, Kate said something about 'Saint' and we all looked at her like she'd lost her mind. She insisted that ST was short for Saint and that's what she was going to call him. He became 'Saint' to all of us before he was even a year old. I held off as long as I could, but it was just so much easier to say. Plus, I think it's a pretty cool nickname."

"Yeah," agreed Kate. "At first I was thinking about calling him something short for 'Steven Theodore' and the first thing that came to mind was 'Stud' which is a cool nickname for a man, but not so good for a baby."