Lady in Red Pt. 03 Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"They plan on convening at one PM tomorrow. Leaders of both parties are said to be leaning toward impeachment. What should we do?" asked Lisa with concern.

"I want you to request that I have the opportunity to address them as soon as they convene tomorrow," replied Gwen.

So it came to pass that a joint session of Congress convened amid much speculation about the fate of the President of the United States. Would she be impeached so that the Speaker of the House could assume the presidency and prevent the military from losing the edge it presently held? What would the president tell Congress? On the morning news programs, many politicians speculated that President Hammer would either reverse her decision, or resign her office. The entire nation watched on television as the first woman president strode regally to the podium to address Congress.

Once she stood before the microphones, Gwen slowly surveyed the room and those assembled in it. Then she wrinkled her nose several times before curling the corner of her lip in disdain.

"I smell the stench of fear!" declared the President as the elected officials gasped at her statement. "It's not a smell I experience very often. My family and friends consist of real men and women, people unafraid to do the right thing regardless of opinion or personal gain. But fear has long flourished in this legislative body, and it disgusts me.

"When Vice President Grandquist resigned in shame and President Crawford's influence was badly waning, the members of this august body began the search for a suitable replacement that both parties could agree on. How many of you admitted in interviews that each party wanted someone that would be acceptable, but not be a threat to run for the Presidency after serving as Vice President? Neither party had enough votes to get their choice approved without gaining some support from the other party. A compromise was reached. President Crawford was essentially told that he had to nominate me or he'd run afoul of Congress. I was selected since I belong to neither party and I have no intention of running for the office. I would be no threat to the revered political status quo.

"You cowards didn't approve me because you truly believed I was the best candidate. You selected me because I was a safe choice! You lacked the nerve to actually do what you felt was the right thing for America. You put party and personal agendas ahead of country. That was a cowardly act.

"I have recently made a controversial decision; one that was very difficult, but one that I know is correct. Do you have the courage and integrity to support that decision? No! You immediately began yammering about how you had never wanted me as vice president in the first place. You approved me overwhelmingly at the time, but when things get difficult, you try to save your political asses in the most desperate and heinous way imaginable.

"I want you to listen closely to what I'm about to tell you. You will not, and you CANNOT impeach me! I have more than one reason to believe this. First, I am not guilty of treason, bribery, high crimes, or misdemeanors.

"More importantly, this chamber is a gathering place for cowards. You lack the nerve and determination an impeachment would require. You didn't even have the nerve to select the person you felt was most qualified to be vice president, and that would have been a walk in the park compared to removing me from office.

"The final and most persuasive argument I have against this esteemed body pushing for impeachment is my husband. He's quite busy working to prevent world war three at the moment, but once he returns, he'll devote all his attention to this institution's insult to my honor. If any of you doubt that Steve can and will use the truth to destroy you, then by all means pursue your foolish venture.

"But, let it be known that if there is anyone amongst you that thinks Steve will not destroy you, then you are deluding yourself. He'll walk through Hell to protect me and preserve my honor. It has occurred to me that the meaning of the word honor is unknown to most of you, but Steve lives and breathes it. Pursue this witch hunt and you'll discover what terrorists, pirates, drug dealers, and a few crooked politicians have already learned the hard way. Steve Hammer takes no prisoners and gives no mercy to his enemies. If you try to hurt me, you will become Steve's enemy!

"In conclusion, your fear, greed, and selfishness make you no threat to my position. I'll now return to the White House to do my best for this country while you posture and pose for cameras and sound bites. The American people deserve so much better than what you give them. You should be ashamed!"

Gwen simply turned, left the podium, and walked down the aisle as the shocked members of Congress sat in complete silence. Lisa and Kate met her at the door and briskly led her to the exit as Secret Service agents suddenly appeared to escort the sisters, leaving an almost deafening silence within the stunned chamber.