Lake Powell

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Go over to the Ranger Station," the clerk told them.

They entered the Ranger Station, identified themselves and asked about Bob.

"I'm afraid I don't have good news. The fuel barge crew found the runabout abandoned early this morning on their run up here. They quickly searched the immediate area, but found no one. They called us, and towed the runabout here."

"Well, maybe they swam to shore. They could be somewhere out there."

"It's possible. I called Page for a search and rescue. A helicopter and several boats are searching the area where the boat was found."

The ranger asked them how many were in the boat. They told him that they were on their way to Wahweap with two aboard. The ranger explained the storm the day before had come up very suddenly and it probably caught them. They were searching the shoreline as well as the water.

The Ranger took their cellphone numbers and next of kin for both of the missing men. Nobody knew anybody to contact for Scott, but they had his cellphone number which could be used to trace him, and determine who to contact.

Return to Wahweap

There was nothing more for them to do at the fuel dock, so they decided to take the houseboat and runabout back to Wahweap and turn them in. They still had vacation time so they checked into the motel to wait for further word.

The next evening they got word that Scott had been found dead. He'd drowned. Later in the day Bob's body was recovered.

Kristen was inconsolable. "It's all my fault. It's all my fault," she chanted over and over. She stopped crying, but she refused to talk. She sat on the bed hugging her knees allowing Renata to touch her, but cringing when Riley got close.

Renata finally got her out of her clothes and into into a t-shirt and panties. Renata covered her up, then Kristen rolled away from everyone in a fetal position. The others talked briefly, then went to bed to face the aftermath in the morning.

Hours later, Riley reflexively reached for her. She wasn't in bed. He checked the bathroom, but she wasn't there. When he came out of the bathroom, he saw the note.

Dear Riley, I'm so ashamed. I hurt you, the only man I ever loved, and two men are dead because of me. I can't bear the pain. Please forgive me. I'm so sorry. Love, Kristen

Riley cried out waking Renata and Jason. He handed her the note and collapsed on the bed.

"Riley, we have to find her!"

They threw on some clothes, then Renata grabbed Riley and they ran out of the motel, not sure of where they were going. They didn't get far. Near the shoreline was a police car with lights flashing. They approached the cop and explained who they were.

"Please stay back. Paramedics are on the way."

"Is she going to be OK?" said Riley, knowing the answer already.

"Ah...no. I'm afraid she's not."

The paramedics pulled Kristen's body from the water and put her on a stretcher, while the cop looked on. She had slit her wrists, then walked into the lake until she bled out. The small waves had pushed her body onto the beach where she was spotted by lovers parked nearby in a car. They called 911.

Returning Home

In the morning, they met a detective at the Page police, and gave their statements about everything that happened that week on the lake. Since Kirsten's death was obviously suicide, the police closed the case and the coroner released her body to Riley. They would hold her until Riley made arrangements to transport.

The fate of Bob and Scott was up to their next of kin. Both deaths were ruled accidental.

Renata and Jason took Riley to the Page Airport to charter a plane. He would fly Kristen's body back home, and leave on the same plane. He couldn't face the 8 hour drive home alone in his truck.

He called Erick, Kristen's brother, to give him the bad news. Erick agreed to pick him up at the airport. Erick also agreed to notify everyone he could on his side of the family. Riley would call his own family.

The charter service at the airport found a pilot willing to make the trip on such short notice, but they would have to wait at least an hour. They got coffee in the small waiting room and found seats in a quiet corner. Nobody knew what to say.

Renata broke the ice. "I called Becca."

"That must have been hard. Thanks for that, Renata."

"Yeah. She's a mess. She blames herself for not coming. She..."

"God, I'm sick of this," Riley blurted out. "It's not her fault. It's nobody's fault. Everyone's punishing themselves with guilt over something they had nothing to do with it."

"Riley..."

"No...it's like Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon. You heard of that?" Jason and Renata looked at him in horror. "Yea...uh...everyone in Hollywood can be linked to Kevin Bacon by no more than six acquaintances."

"Riley, what the fuck, man?"

"Becca has to work so she can't come to Powell. Bob picks Scott to come instead. Scott fucks my wife. Bob drowns with him on the way to Wahweap. Bob, Scott and Kristen die. What's that 3 or 4 links between Becca and Kristen's death. It's so fucking stupid."

"I don't get it."

"I already said it. Becca says it's her fault. Kristen said it's HER fault. She was so guilty about something she didn't cause that she killed herself. There's a connection, but not a cause. Jesus H. Christ. She's dead for no reason, and I'll be mourning her for the rest of my life. It's totally insane."

"Mr. Harris?" a man in a flight uniform approached them.

"Uh, yea, that's me," said Riley wiping his eyes.

"Ed Saunders. I'm your pilot. So sorry for your loss. I've checked weather. We'll make good time. They're pulling up the plane. I need to preflight and, uh, meet the coroner. Sheila there will bring you out to the plane when we're ready."

Riley, Renata and Jason hugged and chatted until the plane was ready.

Riley kissed Renata. "You're our rock, honey. You've always been the one to hold us together when things are bad. I don't know how to thank you."

Renata, the rock, burst into tears. Even Jason was surprised. Riley shook hands with Jason, then followed Sheila out to the plane.

Jason and Renata were alone for the first time since they had all met in Wahweap a million years ago. They watched Riley and Kristen's plane taxi out and take off. They would be driving both trucks, theirs and Riley's, back home, probably for the last time. They couldn't imagine ever wanting to return to Lake Powell.