Light Up My Life

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Storm62
Storm62
355 Followers

"Hello in there!" It didn't exactly boom out, but it was louder than I remembered. A curtain twitched aside and I saw Elizabeth Mary's face appear. "This is most definitely just for you this time Elizabeth Mary Patterson." I said and then began to play 'Light Up My Life' just for her in her front garden. I grinned inwardly as I saw a look of complete and utter astonishment appear on her face but didn't let that stop me from finishing the song. Other residents had heard me and several of them had come outside to see what was happening, one even recognising me. After I finished I waited, hoping that Elizabeth Mary would open the front door, even if it were only to tell me I was an idiot and to get lost. That would at least provide me with some closure. So it was with some relief I saw the door open and Elizabeth Mary poke her head out.

"What are you doing you bloody fool? Get in here, people are staring." She snapped.

I picked up my gear and followed her inside. She shut the door behind me and span around.

"Are you deliberately being embarrassing? What are you trying to achieve here?" She frowned.

"Actually I've achieved my aim." I said smugly. "I'm talking to you."

"Pardon me?" She looked confused.

"You've been ignoring all my attempts at communication so I devised a little scheme that I thought would do the trick, even if it was only for you to tell me to take a running jump. Again." My smug grin began to sag as I saw the discomfort on her face.

"I'm... I'm sorry about that. I needed a couple of days to get to think about things. You telling me I was the subject of 'Light Up My Life' caught me off guard; shocked me in fact."

"And then?" I probed gently.

"And then I realised what an ass I'd been." She went red. "I said some stupid and hurtful things and I was too embarrassed to get in touch with you and say sorry."

"No. You shouldn't feel bad. I didn't say what I wanted to say in the right way, it came out twisted and was easy to misunderstand." I hung my head.

"Thank you for that." Elizabeth Mary said, lifting my chin and looking into my eyes.

"Friends again?" I asked.

"Friends." She said, hugging me.

"Could...could we be more than friends Lizzie?" I asked nervously, using her shortened name for the very first time.

"Maybe, if we work at it." She smiled. I'd missed seeing that smile in person for a long time. "Hey! What gives? You called me Lizzie!"

"Everyone you know seems to call you Liz or Lizzie so I thought it was about time I did too. If that's all right with you Elizabeth Mary Patterson?"

"Of course it is, you nitwit." She threw back her head and laughed.

I smiled with joy. I'd finally got something right. A thought that had been teasing me popped up into my mind.

"Lizzie, how would you like to come and sit in for a while when I record my next album? I still need to finish off writing a couple of songs but that won't take long now."

"Won't that reveal your secret?" She asked matter-of-factly. "I know you've been keeping my name out of the press."

"That was more to protect you than me. And I think I've rather let the cat out of the bag with tonight's little escapade, don't you?"

"Very probably I suppose." She giggled.

"So, are you interested?" I persisted.

"Well, I would like to see how it works, the whole process I mean. It's always interested me." Lizzie said thoughtfully.

"It's a deal." I said. "You do know my studio is at my home, don't you?" I asked, the thought suddenly coming to me.

"Aren't they always?" She smiled back.

"I mean you can stay over, if you want. No hanky panky, I swear." I added as I saw that look cross her face again. "My housekeeper won't allow it." I grinned.

"Who is your housekeeper then? Your Mom?" Lizzie laughed, the green in her eyes sparkling in amusement.

"Funny you should say that..." I reddened.

"It is?" She burst out laughing. "Are you sure you're a rock star? You're supposed to be throwing TV's out of windows, not looking after your Mom."

"Says who?" I grinned now.

"Isn't it in the manual?"

"There's a manual?" I managed to look dumbfounded, but couldn't keep it up. The two of us burst out laughing.

"Why do you call your Mom your housekeeper Dave?" Lizzie asked after we'd recovered.

"It's an in-joke. She wanted a job title when I put her on my payroll." I shrugged. "She said if she was being paid she should be doing something. I told her she didn't have too, but she wouldn't accept it unless I made it official. In any case she's there more than me so it works out nicely."

"It sounds logical when you put it like that," She mused, "just not very 'rock star-y' I suppose."

"Not really if you put it like that." I held out my hand. " "But is it a deal? You come and see how I record an album."

"How long? For the whole record I mean."

"Depends. Sometimes we can get most of it down in a few days, sometimes it's longer."

"Well, I think I can take a few days off soon, so the answer is yes." She gave a shy grin.

"Great!" I could hardly contain myself, grinning from ear to ear. "I'll let you know when as soon as I know."

***

It was barely three weeks later when I pulled up outside Lizzie's place in my Aston-Martin. As I braked she was already out of her door with her suitcase.

"Nice wheels." She said as she dropped her case in the boot.

"Courtesy of your song." I smiled. "I always wanted one, so I thank you."

"Hey, you wrote the thing, not me." She grinned at me. "Come on then, show me how you do it."

I had to leave Lizzie to settle in and be shown around by my 'housekeeper' mom, as I had to take a call from my manager. Apparently a couple of magazines had heard about my little performance in Lizzie's garden and were keen to interview me. They hadn't wanted to get in touch directly as they usually did because of my previous attitude about anything concerned with 'the light up girl'. After a moments thought I told him it would probably be okay but I would call him back; I had to check on something. What I wanted to check was Lizzie; would she be prepared to be revealed formally as 'the light up girl'?

I found her still in the room that was to be hers for the next week or more.

"Elizabeth Mary, I need to ask you something." I said.

"Oh dear, that sounds ominous: I'm back to being Elizabeth Mary." She smirked.

"Sort of serious." I started, and then paused for a second. "I want to ask if you'd come to a magazine interview with me. I'd like to tell them who 'the light up girl' is." I managed to explain.

Lizzie's brow furrowed.

"Well," she said slowly, "revealing all: Not a problem, carry on. But I'm not sure I should be there."

"Why ever not?"

"Because... well, because they may think we're more than friends, and that makes me uncomfortable."

"The 'gold digger' thing?"

"Yes."

"We could always tell them the truth; that we're just starting to work up a relationship. But you shouldn't worry about what people think of you Lizzie. Some of them will think the worst whatever you say or do, but we know the truth and so do our friends and family. They're all that's important." I took her hand to reinforce my reassurance.

She looked at me for a long moment, obviously running through things in her mind.

"Okay, I'll come with you. I'd like to learn as much about your life as I can."

I smiled.

"Me too. Maybe I can come and watch you at work?"

"At the bank?" She laughed. "You'd be bored in five minutes flat."

"I never get bored around you Lizzie. Never have, never will."

"Oh!" She said, taken aback a little. She recovered. "When is this interview then?"

"In the next couple of days." I shrugged. "I just need to confirm it. But first I want you to come and meet the guys in the band. They should be here by now."

The three guys who made up the rest of the band; John Henry the drummer, Jonny Twist the bass player and Jimmy Turner the second guitarist, were already in the studio setting up their instruments. Steve Topp, my long time roadie, was there too. He also ran the recording desk for us and was checking it over. I introduced Lizzie to them before I popped back outside to confirm the interview with my manager, telling him there would be two of us present. When I re-entered the studio a couple of minutes later I found Steve showing Lizzie how to work the mixing desk. One look was all I needed to tell me that she wasn't going to be content with just watching!

I was proved right on that count: Lizzie was soon helping Steve run the desk and quite successfully. However, having tried for most of the day, we found that we couldn't get the right sound for the song we were trying to get down.

"I can't put my finger on why, but it just doesn't sound right." Jim said as we listened to yet another playback.

"No, it sounds sort of thin." I agreed.

"The sound?" Jonny asked.

"Yeah. It needs something else." I said. "Something light and twinkley."

"How about a piano?" Lizzie suggested.

"That's right!" I exclaimed. "It needs a piano in the background."

"Pity none of you can play one," Steve said, "cos we've got a keyboard."

We all looked over to the rarely used instrument and gave a variety of sighs.

"I played piano at school if that helps." Lizzie piped up.

The rest of us looked at each other, considering her offer.

"If nothing else, it'd give us an idea." Jimmy said slowly.

"It would, wouldn't it?" I mused, rubbing my chin. "Okay then Lizzie, if you want to give it a shot."

"Weeelll..." Now she sounded dubious. "It's been a while you know."

"If it don't work we ain't lost nothing Miss Patterson." Steve said reassuringly, patting her on the shoulder.

"All right then," Lizzie made up her mind, "I'll give it a go as long as you don't expect too much."

It wasn't a perfect rendition, but it was good enough to tell us we needed a piano in the mix.

"Sorry, but I am out of practice." Lizzie apologised.

"But you nearly nailed it." I said enthusiastically. "If we gave you some time to sort it out, you could play on the track."

"I could? Would that be okay?" She was goggle-eyed at the suggestion.

"Guys, what do you say?" I asked them.

"Sure."

"Why not?"

"She's practically there already."

"Go for it."

"There you go Lizzie, you're voted in as a guest artist." I turned back to the band. "You lot go and get some grub, I'll stay and help Liz with the tune."

***

That first session started something I hadn't anticipated but was happy to accommodate: Not only was Elizabeth Mary integrating into my personal life she was integrating into my professional life with the band as well. That integration became almost complete a few days later, the day before the interview was scheduled. Lizzie and I were having a morning cup of coffee, waiting for the others to rise ("Like real rock stars." Lizzie sniggered.) When she asked me to look at something.

"Sure, what is it?" I asked.

"Over the years I've written some bits and pieces, poems," she said nervously and blushing a bit, "and I was wondering if any of them might be worth making into songs." She gave me a wane smile.

"Let's have a look and see." I smiled.

She pulled a sheaf of papers from a bag by her side and, still reddening, passed them to me.

"I doubt that they're very good, but I'd still like you to see them, tell me what you think." Having brought up the subject Lizzie was now looking hot and flustered, possibly wishing she hadn't.

I read through the first few papers that she'd given me, not saying anything as she sat opposite me nervously chewing her lip. I looked up.

"Some of these are really good Lizzie." I said, looking up.

"You sure you're not just saying that?"

"No, I'm not. These first two are nearly perfect. Got any ideas for how they'd sound?"

Slightly disbelievingly she looked at the two sheets I was holding up.

"That first one I saw as a gentle song, like 'Light Up' is."

"Yes, I can see that working." I said looking back at the lyrics.

"That second one I imagined as drum-driven, slowly building up to a climax. Finishing with a bang."

I nodded. Again I could see what she meant.

"Oooh kaay then. Lets go see." I said and stood up.

"What? Go where?" She said, startled.

"Down to the studio. To see if we can fit some tunes to these words."

"You sure? I only wanted to know if they were decent rhymes you know?"

"Liz, these are excellent lyrics. I'm sure with a nudge in the right direction you can put them to music."

"What do you mean?" Now she was puzzled.

"I mean if you hum it, I'll play it. And then when its right, we'll write it down."

"You'll write it down you mean?"

"I can't teach you how to write music that quickly, but I can write down what you want it to sound like." I smiled. "Though we might have to wait for John Henry to get the second one right. My drumming isn't that great."

"Are you being serious?"

"Yes. My drumming sucks."

"Not that nitwit! Are you serious about turning these poems into songs."

"Sure. They're good lyrics. Good enough to go on the album."

"Now I know you're pulling my leg."

"We can wait and ask the others if you like, but they all know a good lyric when they see one."

"Don't they just do as you say?"

"I suppose I have the last word, but they have to be able to play this stuff live don't forget."

"Look Dave, I don't want you to put these on your album as a favour. It's going to have your name above the title."

"And your name as the composer don't forget." I reminded her with a smile. "But only if we can get the tunes right." I held out my hand. She took it and stood up.

"What are we waiting for?" She grinned as she stood. "Lets get to the studio."

By the time Steve and the boys in the band arrived Lizzie and I had put together a reasonable demo of the ballad and sketched out some ideas about how the other song should sound.

"You two have been busy." Steve said with a smile, knowing my work ethic of old.

"Hey, I don't remember seeing these before." Jim said, picking up Lizzie's words.

"What do you think?" I asked, shushing Liz as Jim passed the two pieces of paper around.

"Bit different to your usual stuff." Jonny said. "Damn good all the same."

"I like them." John Henry added. He never talked much unless he felt he had something to add to the conversation.

I smiled and then swept my arm around towards Lizzie.

"They're not mine. May I present the author."

The guys all looked to a beaming but blushing Liz.

"Good grief girl, is there anything you can't do?" Steve asked incredulously.

"I can't write music." She giggled.

"Yet." I added for her.

"So you say." She became serious again. "Look, I don't want to put anyone's nose out of joint. You guys have all been with Dave for years."

"There's something you should realise about all of us Liz." Jim said. "That is that we're all in this for the music, not the fame and the money." The others nodded in agreement.

Liz looked at me.

"Miss Harmsworth?" She asked.

I nodded.

"You remember too?"

"I do."

Steve clapped his hands together.

"So Liz's songs are in. Lets get them recorded."

***

Lizzie had been nervous before the interview with the two journalists, asking me what she should say. I told her to just answer the questions they asked, reminding her they weren't expecting her to be there so any prepared questions they had would be for me. And all they really wanted was the story behind 'Light Up My Life'.

In the end it was the two journalists who were the most nervous at the start of the interview. They had been thinking I was going to stonewall them again and they'd struggle to get a decent article out of the process. As it turned out it was a very pleasant couple of hours for all of us. Right at the start I had introduced Elizabeth Mary Patterson, telling them that she was 'the light up girl' and after answering a few questions about the song; my reasons for writing it and why I'd taken so long to unveil it, it became more or less an interview with 'the light up girl' herself. Despite her initial trepidation Lizzie soon settled down, talking easily to the journalists. However when they asked about our feelings toward each other she seemed to become a little twitchy.

"My feelings for Dave are still a bit confused." She started. "I'm certain of our friendship; we've known each other for a long time now. And I'm certain that he wrote a beautiful song about me, and sang it just for me. I would be foolish to deny the depth of feeling Dave has for me, but to me it all happened so quickly; I'm still trying to process it. I have to say that I'm feeling a little overwhelmed at the moment, but bit at a time I'm sorting my feelings out. So all I can say for now is that I do have feelings for Dave, but I'm not sure how deep they are compared to his for me."

After the journalists had gone Liz and I were sitting in the kitchen sipping coffee.

"I didn't say anything silly did I?" She asked.

"Not at all." I smiled. "Although I was happy to find out you had feelings for me."

"Fool! Of course I do. I'm just not prepared to say how deep they are." She grinned back. There was a mischievous sparkle to her eyes. During our schooldays I had spent a lot of time looking into those green eyes. Always looking for some hint of benevolence towards me that until recently had never been there. Now there was generally a more caring look; probably not actual love, but caring at least and that was enough for me.

"Why are you staring at me?" Lizzie broke into my thoughts.

Caught off-guard and suddenly flustered I said the first thing that came into my head. Not usually a good idea.

"Sorry. I was lost in the depths of your eyes."

"Very poetic." She grinned. "Your next song perhaps?"

"Been done before." I laughed. "To be serious for a moment, would you like to come and work for me? You're wasted at the bank you know."

"As what?" She asked a little suspiciously.

"I don't know. I haven't thought it through yet." I replied helplessly. "You're still worried about being labelled a gold digger?"

"I am. So unless you've got a job that I can do it's not happening, okay?" Now there was a steely determined look on her face. She meant it. The word 'wife' suddenly presented itself to the front of my brain as an alternative, but, attractive as the idea was, I discarded it. It was still too soon to make that suggestion. Instead I changed the subject again.

"Are you going to stay until we've finished getting the album tracks down?"

"How long will that be?"

"Maybe five days."

"Too long. I'm due back at the bank on Monday." I could tell she was tempted though. "I think I'll have to stick to the original plan of a week." She sighed.

"We'll miss your help." I suggested.

"You managed before without me, so I know you're trying to entice me." She smiled. "But I thank you anyway."

"You know you can stay as long as you want Lizzie."

"I think it's time I returned to the real world." She gave a shrug.

"Been there, didn't like it much." I laughed. Lizzie joined in. The easy laughs of people comfortable with each other. "How about if I take you out to dinner before I run you home Sunday then?" I asked.

"As long as you promise not to try to make me stay on."

"Promise."

"Then you're on."

***

I was going to take Lizzie out to dinner as promised. She was getting ready in her room and taking her time so I went to chivvy her on a bit. I was about to knock on the door when I heard her singing through the shower door in her room. She was singing 'Light Up My Life' and was word perfect. But what really caught my attention was the quality of her voice. It was exquisite. I knew I had to find a way for the rest of the world to hear it; Miss Harmsworth would never forgive me if I didn't. A sudden recollection hit me: I had never mentioned Miss Harmsworth to her, but she knew about the music teacher's devotion to all forms of music. Lizzie had played piano at school; that probably meant Miss Harmsworth had taught her. So why had she been working in a bank? The only thing I could think of was that the redoubtable Miss Harmsworth had been unable to inspire Lizzie the same way she had me. Liz obviously had musical talent, but also tended to be realistic. Music hadn't been the haven for her that it had been for me. Nonetheless I wanted to find a way to get her to sing. Hoping that the band hadn't left yet, I went to find them. They needed to be in on this as well.

Storm62
Storm62
355 Followers