Light Up My Life

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Guys, I want to find a way to get Lizzie to play at least one concert with us. Any objections?" They shook their heads. "The best way I can think of is for us to play a warm-up gig for the next tour in my and Lizzie's hometown; get her to play the keyboards as a guest star." Now they nodded.

"You think she will?" Steve asked.

"I hope so, because that's not all I want. I want her to sing 'Light Up' with me. I've just found out what a beautiful singing voice she has."

"I could've told you that boss." Steve grinned. "She was singing to herself half the time we were recording. I thought you knew."

I looked at him mildly stunned.

"I wish you'd told me earlier Steve. Now I'm going to have to make something up off the cuff rather than have time to think it through."

***

The dinner was... well, a bit strange. For a change Liz was doing most of the talking; chattering away about how much fun she'd had 'watching' us in the recording studio. This was because I was trying to think of a way to ask her to play with us but couldn't come up with a way to broach the subject without sounding like I was breaking my promise not to nag her about staying on. Instead I let myself be pulled along by her enthusiasm. By the time we ordered dessert Lizzie was running out of things to say and had noticed my lack of involvement in the conversation.

"What's the matter?" She asked. "Have you had a relapse and can't speak to me again?"

"What!? No! Its..." I spluttered, caught off guard by the question.

"Spit it out Dave." Liz said patiently.

"All right." I sighed. "Me and the guys really want you to play with us, at least for the warm-up gig we're planning at home, and I can't think of a way to ask you without it sounding like nagging."

"Me? Play with the band? In front of people?" She looked at me in astonishment. "I don't know if I could Dave." She said, frowning.

"That's what I thought you'd say. But I'm not giving in that easily. I'm going to keep on asking for the next couple of months."

"Why a couple of months?" She asked, smiling at my intensity.

"Because that's when the album is due out and the tour starts."

"Then there's time for you to convince me." She grinned evilly.

***

It was the warm-up concert for the tour we'd called 'Green Depths Of The Universe', the title of the new album. We were in my and Lizzie's hometown. I'd finally convinced Lizzie to be part of the band; we knew she could play the keyboards and two of the new songs were hers, so I'd kept asking her, almost begging her to join us, at least for this one show. Ever since I'd heard her singing 'Light Up My Life' in the shower that evening I did have that other reason. She'd finally said yes, although I was beginning to think she'd been teasing me since the dinner date.

"Hello again!" I called out to the packed theatre, receiving the usual cheer in response. "Shall we start?" I asked. Another cheer greeted the question, so we launched into 'Pink And Led'.

Two hours later and we were just finishing 'Wish You Were Here' having run through most of the new album and our other crowd favourites. Lizzie's songs had been well received and I caught her smile of satisfaction at their reception. Now was the moment to spring my surprise.

"I know what you're waiting for." I smiled to the crowd. "And it's coming. But it's going to be a little different." I turned and motioned for Liz to come and join me at the microphone. Somewhat dumbfounded, she came over. "I thought 'the light up girl' herself could help me out." There was a barrage of applause.

"You can't be serious!" Lizzie said quietly, her words masked by the cheering.

"Deadly." I grinned. "I know you can sing it, I've heard you."

"But it sounds wrong when I sing it. The thing is written from a male point of view." She protested.

"I've tweaked it. Your words are on the card on the mike."

"I can't..."

"You can Lizzie. You can. Just wait for the noise to drop then we'll start."

She gave me a helpless look but took up position behind the mike. The crowd quietened and I began to play. Lizzie began to sing 'Light Up My Life' with me joining in. We sang alternate verses; girl version and then boy version. By the time we finished the audience was watching open mouthed at the sheer beauty of the revised song. Lizzie had tears in her eyes as I sang the last verse, joining me in the last lines. There was something else too; the thing I'd been hoping for since childhood, a look of love. We finished and I wrapped my arms around her.

"Thank you Elizabeth Mary Patterson." I whispered as the audience erupted once again.

"For what?" She sniffed, the tears in her eyes now running down her cheeks.

"For lighting up my life of course!" I said softly. Then, for the first time, and in front of my home crowd, I kissed her properly.

***

Excerpt from interview with Elizabeth Mary (Lizzie M) Patterson in the magazine 'New Rock'.

NR: So, what's it like joining a famous band and being the only girl?

EMP: (Laughing) Not as intimidating as I'd feared. All the guys, not just Dave, wanted me to join and I found them to be very protective of me, particularly where the negative reactions to my joining were concerned. There was a fear amongst the fans that I was going to be some sort of 'Yoko' figure.

NR: Those fears were dispelled straightaway at the warm-up gig in your hometown though?

EMP: Yes. 'Light Up' again. When Dave got me, tricked me really, into singing the revised version with him everyone could see what it meant to both of us. I have a lot to thank that song for: Dave too. He does 'Light Up My Life'.