Love & Peace Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I looked at him in despair and wanted so much to help. I was sure that his marriage was in trouble but somehow I had made things much worse for him. Maybe Jessica could have accepted that the relationship was over, but to add another woman to the mix was just asking for trouble.

Daniel drained his glass and poured another. "This has come at such a difficult time, Kate. You know that Jefferson's is undergoing some changes? Well, I've been brought in to implement those changes.."

I leaned forward to hear more, noticing that he was suddenly using "company-speak" with me. "Yes, I know. The rumours have been rife lately. Everyone's talking about what's happening."

He sighed. "There's no easy way to say this but people will go. I just can't have any scandal at the moment. Do you understand?"

"What do you mean? You want me to just fade into the background and disappear?"

"Oh Kate, no, of course not, but if this came out, I would be gone so quick you wouldn't believe it... I was the one behind all the changes. For me to go like that would be a disaster."

I suddenly had a feeling that I was a nuisance to Daniel. Was this his way of telling me that I was surplus to requirements? Was the man I had grown to trust just a ruthless manipulator?

I stood up and pulled my coat on. Daniel looked at me in surprise and glanced at my glass which was still half-full.

"Where are you going?"

"Home. I think all this has been about you, Daniel. Your attempt to get me to shut up and just disappear quietly while you get on with saving your own hide."

The astonishment on his face was clear as he looked at me. "Don't be so bloody stupid, Kate. You know that this morning meant more than that."

"Did it? Was it just a way of saying goodbye while you appease your wife and save some money into the bargain?"

I went to walk out, but he grabbed my wrist and turned me to face him. "This morning was wonderful, Kate. You must know that? If I wanted to shut you up, as you say, a quick telephone call would have done the job just as well."

I hesitated but I couldn't help thinking about his position at Jefferson's. How his reputation as a hard businessman had gone before him. How different he was to me.

"I'm going, Daniel. Perhaps it's best if we separate for a while. Then you can sort out things with your wife and maybe get back together again."

"I don't want to get back with her, Kate. It's over. I just need time to sort this out, do what I have to do and then maybe we can start again."

I shook my head and pulled my wrist away. From the first night with him, I hadn't known whether it was me he wanted or the memory of Louise. I couldn't deal with any more complications and just wanted to be alone for a while, to think things over and try and clear the muddled thoughts in my head.

"I've got some holiday owing at work, Daniel. I'll go away for a few weeks and leave you in peace."

He stood and held his arms out to me but I just couldn't go to him now. Whatever I felt we had between us seemed a mockery and I turned and walked out of the pub, the tears stinging my eyes as I went.

*

On Monday morning I requested two weeks leave. I had needed to take some time off anyway as the holiday year ended in December and as it was quiet, my request was granted. My parents owned a small cottage a two hour drive away so on Tuesday I packed up my car and left, ignoring the messages in my email box and the texts on my phone.

I hadn't seen Daniel at work and when he followed me out of the pub shortly afterwards to collect his car I refused to answer the door to him. We both needed time apart and I had an overwhelming urge to be alone and nurse my wounded heart in private. I had a few friends in the area from my childhood and the thought of being with people who knew nothing about Daniel was suddenly very attractive.

For the first few days I moped around the house and read. No-one knew I was there, except my parents, and I hesitated to call my friends in case they fired me with questions as to why I was staying.

But after three days of solitude I phoned a friend and arranged to go out for a meal with her. Amanda had always been a great source of support and I wished she lived nearer. I knew I could confide in her and looked forward to a long and intimate gossip over a good meal.

But when we met in the lounge of the nearby pub, she was not alone. With her was her new boyfriend and a man who I vaguely recognised from ages back.

"Kate! It's so good to see you again! How are you?"

I smiled and kissed her cheeks as she enveloped me in a huge hug. "I'm fine, just a little tired."

"You've lost weight, Kate. What's up?" she asked as the men went to the bar.

"Oh nothing, you know how it is... just busy."

"Oh come on, I know you better than that. Tell me."

"Well, it's a bit difficult, Amanda. I thought it would be just the two of us..."

"Oh Kate, I'm sorry," she giggled. "But I just had to show off David to you. Don't you think he's gorgeous?"

I smiled. "Who's the other one? He looks familiar."

"That's Steve. He's always asking about you, Kate. Thought it would be a good idea for him to come along. Wouldn't want you to feel left out."

I felt my heart sink as I watched the two men return from the bar. Steve was handsome in a nice sort of way, but I just couldn't get Daniel out of my head. The last thing I wanted was more complications.

The evening was fine but I felt my mind wandering several times and each time, I had Daniel's face in my head. How he looked at me, how he turned me on so much, the feel of his hands on my body. Amanda soon realised that her idea had been a mistake as conversation between Steve and myself was stilted. David and Amanda seemed to be cocooned in their own private world and my hopes of a shoulder to cry on were definitely dashed as they cuddled, kissed and virtually groped one another throughout the evening.

Shortly after 10pm I could stand it no longer and excused myself. "I feel terrible," I lied, as Amanda looked at me in surprise. "I'm really sorry but I'm going to go home, have a bath and an early night."

"I'll walk you home, Kate," suggested Steve but despite my protests, he insisted.

I felt uncomfortable with the way things were turning out but hadn't the energy to refuse so I found my coat and said goodbye to the lovebirds who were giggling and kissing again. "Call me," shouted Amanda as she watched me go. "We'll have that chat."

I shrugged my shoulders and joined Steve at the door, the triumphant expression on his face worrying me as we made our way out into the freezing night air.

"It's nice to see you again, Kate. It's been a long time."

I nodded. "Yes. I'm sorry Steve if I've been distant, but I'm having a bit of a difficult time at the moment."

"That's OK," he said. "I understand."

I relaxed a little and dug my hands deep into my pockets in an attempt to keep warm.

"You're cold," Steve stated and put his arm around me, drawing me closer into the circle of his arm, his hand brushing my left breast slightly.

"Um, Steve, please don't think that there's anything between us, OK? I don't really need this at the moment. I'm sorry."

"Oh, Kate, I'm just keeping you warm, I don't mean any harm."

I pulled away and looked at him. I realised I hardly knew this man and I was allowing him to walk me home in a deserted village late at night.

"Don't pull away, Kate. I've always liked you, do you know that? I keep asking Amanda when you're coming back. Couldn't believe my luck when she said you were here for a few days."

I suddenly felt afraid. I remembered Steve as the hanger-on of the group, always on the fringes of our small circle, never contributing much to the conversations but looking at the women in a strange sort of way.

"I'm OK from here," I stuttered and looked down the street to where I could see my car parked outside the house. "Thanks so much for walking me back."

"Oh no, Kate. I can't let you go here. Anything could happen to you at this time of night."

I laughed nervously, the noise echoing in the silent street and a sudden feeling of suffocation filled me. I didn't need this wierd man adding to my worries and I wanted to run from him as fast as I could. The thought of Daniel filled my mind and I stifled a sob as I realised that he couldn't help me now. He was so far away and I was on my own.

"Come on, Kate. Won't be long and you'll be home. I'd love a cup of coffee..."

He put his arm around me again and I allowed myself to be almost dragged along with him, my fear growing by the minute. If he came inside with me that would be it, I was sure. He was far bigger than me, and I remembered Amanda saying he played rugby for the village. I would be no match for his strength.

Within a few minutes we were at the door and I groped in my bag for the keys. My mobile was in there too but in the darkness I couldn't find it and besides what use would it be now?

"Look, Steve, I really don't feel like a coffee at the moment," I murmured keeping my voice soft in the hope that he would let me go and not get angry. "Perhaps I can call you and we can meet another time?"

"Oh, Kate! I've been waiting for this for so long. Just one coffee won't hurt, surely?"

"Another time," I insisted. "I feel terrible. Headache, you know."

I was shaking now and I watched as his eyes turned hard. "No, Kate. I want you now. Do you understand? I've been waiting so long."

I felt the panic rise up inside me as he leant towards me and tried to kiss me. I twisted around and avoided his mouth but he gripped my upper arms and held me as his mouth descended on mine. Forcing my lips open he stuck his tongue inside and I gasped in shock as I tasted the beer he had been drinking all night. I felt him press his body up against mine and his erection was obvious.

"I want you, Kate, OK? And I'm going to have you now."

I struggled and tried to get away, but as I suspected, his strength was no match for me. His lips were bruising my mouth and I felt him tear at the buttons on my blouse as he groped at my breasts, his beery breath hot in my ear. "You feel so good, Kate," he groaned and I cringed, remembering back to Daniel and how he had said the same thing. Oh how I wanted him now and my eyes filled with tears as Steve finally found my nipples and squeezed hard.

"Don't, Steve, please..." I pleaded but he drew me closer and the hand that was molesting my breasts now found it's way to my pussy through the material of my skirt. He groped hard and I heard his breath quicken as his hand found its target.

"Wet for me, Kate? Come on, you know you want it..."

I shook my head, the tears rolling down my face as he thrust his meaty hand into my softness. There was no way I could escape but I tried one last shove to get him off me.

"Oh no, Kate. No fucking way. You're mine tonight and I'm going to teach you a lesson."

I stopped struggling and he smiled. A horrible leer that made his face contort. He raised his hand and I knew that he was going to hit me but when the blow came I remembered nothing, just blackness and Daniel's face, his lovely eyes smiling at me in the way that I loved and then I felt the world spin and after that a dark emptiness...

Part 4 will follow soon.

All feedback welcomed and answered. Please don't forget to vote for me! Many thanks...

12