Mars Hill Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
TheDVH
TheDVH
29 Followers

I took the palliative chemo. I was surprised at how good it made me feel. Not good as in cured, but good as in no real pain. I felt healthy, even as my body kept wasting away.

My parents decided to fly into town to be with me and Becca. On our last night alone before they flew in I asked Becca if we could go camping again. One last time.

"Jer I'm not sure that's such a good idea." Becca said as she was getting things ready for my parents to stay with us on our chouch. The had pulled out and washed another sheet set for the couch bed, and was just grabbing some extra pillows before finishing making the bed.

"It probably isn't. But this is going to be our last night alone until my parents leave, and it's going to be a beautiful, warm, clear night."

Becca demurred for another few minutes until she finally agreed and called Beth. Beth said we were welcome to use the camp site if we wanted. Becca packed our sleeping bags and tent into the car and we set out as the sun went down. A pair of rabbits scurried across the road in the glare of our lights and disappeared into the grass on the other side.

I felt peaceful as I sat back and watched the view as we drove, the sun casting long shadows and illuminating the tops of the trees and grass bright red.

"Are you going to be ok without me?" I asked Becca.

"Jeremy, I'm driving," She answered huskily, as if she had a sore throat.

I reached out and took her hand. She squeezed mine. I turned and looked at her in profile. Her eyes were fixed on the road, and she looked very tired. I looked down at our hands. Hers was as elegant and beautiful as ever. Mine looked like it was a skeleton surrounded by translucent material.

'I won't be much food for the worms in this condition' I thought to myself. As I had grown sicker my humour had become decidedly darker. I made sure not to voice these musings out loud. Becca would absolutely not appreciate hearing them.

I looked at her cheeks and admired the rosy bloom on them, and sliding my eyes down her body I fantasized at what lay beneath the slight bulge under her Tshirt. No matter how many times I saw her, I never got tired of seeing her. I couldn't believe she was really mine, even though we were married. I felt the same excitement and desire that I felt on my first day at Lowell, when she walked through the door and it felt like my life had changed. Of course It had, but at the time I didn't know it.

Soon Becca turned into the camp site. The familiar gate, walk to the fire pit, set up the tent, build the fire.

We watched the sun go down and sat under blankets around the fire, the smoke blowing straight up before being caught by the wind and carried away.

I leaned against her, and she wrapped her arm around mine and help my hand. I could feel the ring she was wearing as it pressed on my fingers.

"Thanks for bringing me out here. I doubt we would get another night alone once Mom comes."

"It's nice to be out with you. Just like our first time."

"Just like our first time," I agreed.

We just sat like that, silent, watching the stars blossom into life above us. Hearing and smelling the sweetness of the grasses around us, mixed with the distinctive and strong smell of the wood fire.

I felt warm, and oddly happy.

"I'll have to remember to tell mom about you not knowing that there was free champagne on our flight to Australia." I said.

She laughed at the memory.

"I still can't believe you did that."

"Of course I did, how else would I be able to join the mile high club with the prettiest girl above, on, and dare I say under the earth's surface."

"Oh I think you dare," she said with a chuckle.

I breathed deeply. She turned and kissed me on the cheek. I turned and caught her lips. They tasted sweet, from the lipgloss she always wore.

"Do you want to go to sleep?" She asked. We both knew that having sex was probably out of the question. I was still excreting poison from my last dose of chemo.

"No. I want to stay out here with you. Too bad Orion isn't up this time of year. I'd have liked to see his junk one more time."

"I love you Jeremy," she said, kissing me again.

I looked up again at the band of light, composed of millions and millions of stars. A bright one caught my eye and I wondered how far away it was. I felt myself growing tired. But I was surprisingly warm even though the night had turned cold. I felt light.

"I love you too," I said. "I bet Mom and Dad will want to invite Aunt Gillian and Aunt Sam over for dinner. I think I will make a roast. We'll have to get some more groceries on our way home."

"Sounds like a plan."

"Glad you think so."

"You know I always liked your cooking, but your roast is just... fantastic."

"I'll make sure to put extra love in it."

"You say that every time."

"And I mean it every time."

"You sound like a grandmother."

"I can't help it," I said.

"Sure you can't."

"I love...

Epilogue Van Wilde, Jeremy Eric Rebecca van Wilde and family regret to announce the death of Jeremy Eric van Wilde. Jeremy passed away peacefully next to his wife under the stars on Wednesday August 8 2018 after a courageous battle with Cancer. He was 22 years old. Jeremy is survived by his wife Rebecca, His parents Cheryl and Thomas, Sisters Sarah and Sally. He was cremated as per his wishes. A memorial service will take place at the Lowell Observatory on 12 August. In lieu of flowers please donate to the Lowell Observatory.

Author's Note:

I have been dreaming about writing this story for almost a decade, when I myself went to Lowell and met a cute tour guide. The story evolved several times and I had several false starts, but in the end I am proud about what I finally managed to create here. I am so glad so many of you have enjoyed the story, your kind words and encouragement helped me when times were tough. I originally only meant to publish the first chapter, but with so many asking for the story to continue I pushed ahead with more ideas that had been floating around when I originally plotted the story. Jeremy and Rebecca have the kind of love that I want for myself. It is strong and tender and unconditional, and it has been a joy to live inside them while I wrote this. I finally decided that their story needed to be the length of a short novel and I finished writing just a few weeks ago. I am glad to publish it here in its final length. I may self publish the whole book later, or I may just be content to let it stay here. I am working on another project in the meanwhile. I hope you enjoy the conclusion to the story.

Dirk van Houten - Author

TheDVH
TheDVH
29 Followers