Midsummer Bride Pt. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

He opened the door to find no one there... No but a wriggling, crying bundle in a wicker basket. It was wrapped in a silver cloak. It wriggled and made gurgling noises.

Attached to the cloak was a note. Harper took the baby and the note inside. Churchill inspected the basket, wagging his tail. The baby grabbed his nose then giggled when Churchill licked it's little pink hand. The note read:

Dear Artemus,

I'm so sorry I left you and Mrs. Everette like that. I asked Oberon to spare you and in exchange I would go with him. If I didn't then you would have died. I couldn't let that happen.

I was a coward. I didn't want to be alone in this new world where everyone I know has moved on without me. New starts have always made me uneasy. But those days with you were my happiest. They gave me a gift that I will always cherish that I now give to you. Our daughter...

You were wrong. While there's a cynic in you there also lies a kindness that I found rare. You care so much it hurts you. That's why I know you'll take care of our daughter. And also the cloak attached to her will protect her. Just some extra security. It will keep her out of Oberon's clutches. I know you'll love her for the both of us. You're all she has. I love you.

Miranda Hermia Love

P.S. I thought of name for her: Athena Cressida Harper.

Harper looked in on the ball of innocence left on his door step. How many fairy tales had abandoned babies from foreign lands of strange origins been left on door steps? He placed his finger in the basket which Athena grabbed. She had a strong grip.

Harper's heart awoke after a year of sleep. Her bright blue eyes watched him happily but there was also some curiosity there. On her head was a crown of black hair. Raven hair just like her mother.

"Well...," Harper felt tears come to his eyes. "So this is what it feels like to be struck by a thunder bolt."

Harper sold the house moving into the town of Cornwall, a house by the water. Far from the clutches of the forest. There he raised his daughter watching her grow into a woman laughing and playing, the wind in her dark hair and blue eyes full of fire.

Harper still dreamed of Miranda. She came to him. They would talk then make love. Sometimes he saved her other times she was swallowed by darkness. But then he's see Athena and feel some sense of victory. Oberon will never get Athena. Never.

***